The Big Picture: Found in Translation

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
So It's samurai delivering pizza. Sounds like Snow Crash but with cats. Note that Snow Crash needs to get a movie/TV adaptation.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
artanis_neravar said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
Tanis said:
-Gundam anyone?
*grabs popcorn* Sure! As long as it's Turn A. Wing sucked.
What about 0079, 0080, 0083, 8th MS Team, Z, ZZ, Victory, G, After War, SEED, SEED Destiny, and 00?

But to the original guys point, Yes that is what their armor reminded me of
0079- Terrible soundtrack, some of the dub was terrible, animation quality was ghastly, the movie trilogy was all right though.
0080- Hells yeah.
8th MS- Also hells yeah.
Z- Sure, why not?
ZZ- I'll consider it.
Victory- Oh yes. Very much so.
G- Only if I feel like I'm in the mood for romanticism and camp.
SEED- Mmmm... meh, I'll watch it, sure.
SEED Destiny- Heard it sucked.
Ok now I feel that I can ask, how is Turn A? I'm waiting for the dub before I watch it

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Oh you did not just hate on Inuyasha for no reason, did you? Nobody hates on Inuyasha and escapes my rage!

WIND SCARRRRRR!!!!

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
Once you mentioned Big Bad Beetleborgs, I had this giant rush of nostalgia. I'm glad I was sitting down for that one.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I can't honestly say that I was a fan of this show.

But in all fairness this was back in my insufferable anime fan days when I saw this kind of thing as being "insulting to the art form."

And while I still find the same kind of "dubbing for laughs" humor to be just shy of horribly racist when done on shows like MXC I can't bring myself to really hate this particular program anymore since for the most part is was dumb but harmless.

Although I still reserve the right to be annoyed at the "Big Cheese" being identified as a Rat when I always thought it was really obvious he was a Fox.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I can't wait to buy all 20 seasons of power rangers on DVD!!!!
shout! studios is doing them (I think thats their name anyway)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Caramel Frappe said:
.. B.. but, I liked Inuyasha.. why Bob, why?

Well back then I did until I realized it wasn't going anywhere because it was written by Rumiko Takahashi
Fixed that for you.

Rob Heywood

Feb 4, 2012
Little Kuriboh actually referenced the show in one of his Yu Gi Oh: Abridged Series. Maybe there's some inspiration there.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
I know that it wasn't the subject of today's "Big Picture", but the P.R. (I refuse to say it's full name) is a time of my childhood I don't ever want to relive.

I mean... just look at it! It's filled to the brim with stereotypes and subtle racism & sexism (if you don't believe me, just take a look at the main characters!)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Qitz said:
Pretty sure saying "It would be better if someone lost the script" isn't him saying he liked it.
Tiny bit in credits.

DVS BSTrD said:
That was a very informative episode Bob,
I never knew Inuyasha had a script.
I'm pretty sure Bob was just making a joke there.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
Trying to simplify Inuyasha is like trying to use a toothpick to chip away at a statue...a gaudy, broken statue that smells of flatulence...but I'll try. I'll break it into steps to make it easier for me to choke it down, er, you to remember.

*Spoilers*

1. Inuyasha - super powerful half-demon (not hard to picture, since most anime is practically about super powers or mechs). He's in love with a human woman (Kikyo), forming the crux of the show and she shows up tons of times. Her appearances coincide with the RARE attempts of the show at having a plot or being any good.

2. Kagome - an annoying, whiny, jealous, but otherwise "pure hearted saint" of a female...then add in the fact she is given the abitrary role of "chosen one," with the ability to do all that purifying, sanctity, and superpower BS. Then add on top that she's embroiled in the "love triangle" that dominates half of the story. She also has the ability to "dominate" Inuyasha too. "SIT" makes him fall to the ground. Think of it the same running joke as "Gay Stewie" in Family Guy or "Ed is Short" in Fullmetal Alchemist. All forms of stupid humor that gets thrown in EVERYWHERE!

3. Other characters tag along. Sadly, after their initial arcs, their roles get boiled down to "support comic relief." Another long running gag involves Miroku grabbing Sango's ass every three episodes or so. Along with Kikyo, Sesshomaru (Inuyasha's brother) shows up to reminds us how much everyone else in the show sucks balls. Maybe it's because he's the "anti-hero/villain badass," but in a show about a stupid teenage girl dominating a demon, something has to give.

4. The main villain has a tendency of getting chased, then found, then escape, then get found again, then get killed, just to revive, to DO IT ALL AGAIN!

5. The show is littered with terrible writing and plot. It's like the anime equivalent of Eternal Sonata. Characters CONSTANTLY reiterate the main plot points (even in filler episodes). Story arcs (like the love triangle) get played out multiple times in different stretches...to the same boring ass results. The most annoying of all flubs was the main characters constantly yelling each others names. That happens every time someone gets kidnapped, runs off, leaves pissed, or whatever. It got so bad that Adult Swim made a legendary commercial spoof. It's similar to the "RENA" "SHUGO" yelling in .hack//Legend of the Twilight. Both cases suck balls.

6. Normal anime series stretch to 26-52 episodes. They sometimes issue filler, but they tend to be short forays. Inuyasha stretched 170 episodes, plus 4-5 movies, THEN another series. That's Naruto/Bleach/Ranma territory. Don't forget that the revolving "death/revival/love triangle" plot twists rear their heads every 20-30 episodes, THEN normal filler, THEN character specific filler episodes on top of that...then a bunch of **** about baby demons with mind control powers, drunk Buddhist monks, talking fleas getting married, and other dumb crap.

If that doesn't hope to steer you away from the show, nothing will. I got out after episode 130. I almost feel ashamed for sticking with it that far. The damage that show has caused will NEVER go away.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
Here's that commmercial I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kecaTtDS2o

The commercial is an exaggeration, but not by much.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Bob just made my day. Nay, my week.

Samurai Pizza Cats (Or Los Gatos Samurai in Spanish; inspired by that Casa de mi Padre episode. Zing!) was one of my favorite animes when I was a kid. Sadly, it didn't remain in my top anime shows ever because I only watched it when I was a kid and that was it. I forgot about its existence until recently due to the lack of reruns of merchandise. Now I know why.

I'm glad it's being released into DVD. About time! It wouldn't be a bad idea to show some reruns on TV. SPC is kind of a timeless show: Cats that are secret samurais that deal with pizza and weird enemies? That's a plot that doesn't get old right there!

Now, if only I could prove the Mon Coley Knights existed...

And has anyone noticed how Speedy, Fido and Poly's personalities resemble those of Ash, Brock and Misty? A LOT? Or is it just me? I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, though.

PS: InuYasha? Being bad? Pssh, this is why I prefer its superior precursor: Ranma 1/2.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Inuyasha was fine, but got weird, dragged out too long and ended abruptly.
Pizza cats look interesting.

bj_waters

Apr 13, 2009
YES!! You did it! An entire episode on SPC!! (However, I guess that makes the email I sent you rather moot). I'm just so glad that it's finally being released on DVD. (Link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-12/discotek-licenses-samurai-pizza-cats/cats-toninden-teyande) The mere fact that they are doing this blows my mind. I had given up on the idea of ever own this series on DVD, LET ALONE the Japanese version.

As for InuYasha, I don't know how a "lost-script" dub would help it. Then again, I hate InuYasha. "Dragon Ball Z for girls" is a rather kind description of it. Thus, I enjoyed your humorous ending.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
And here I thought I had weird shows growing up. But Samurai Pizza Cats beats all I can think of... Just the name is enough to make me laugh...

InuYasha? Oh some anime that is not good even though they have fans... What a surprise. Not that I don't like manga/anime/andregularcartoon.. But knowing how much junk is produced it's often hard to find any good.
And since for example Twilight has fans well... That something has fans doesn't make it good...
(And FYI yea I read the Twilight books,/shudders/ refused to see the movies even though I could have for free and with free popcorn)