The Big Picture: Found in Translation

zorrandur

Mar 8, 2010
THANK YOU so much for making this episode. For awhile there i thought the samurai pizza cats were a figment of my imagination! :D

TheBrett

Aug 26, 2011
Lordofthesuplex said:
Also Duel Masters was another case of an anime that went through the Pizza Cats treatment. Don't know all the details why that happened but basically over in Japan: typical Yu-Gi-Oh clone. Here in America? Dear god what a hilariously awesome gag dub that produced.
Fixed that for you. :D

More seriously, the dubbed Duel Masters actually ended up being really funny and entertaining both because of the bad dub, but also because they never explained anything (least of all the card game rules). When I first watched the series, I thought they were deliberately doing that as a spoof of Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I liked Inuyasha... Mainly because I didn't have to endure through it's english dub, although the latin american spanish dub was based upon the english dub, but overall, I liked it, though you could see miles away where they censored some stuff -_-'

And yes, I LOVED the Samurai Pizza Cats when I was a kid (they were named Los Gatos Samurai [http://youtu.be/dO7G-KoI0bE] in my region), they were aired pretty much along with the Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles, so, it was a complete hour with samurai cats and ninja turtles!.

TheBrett

Aug 26, 2011
Inuyasha is one of those series where the manga is a lot better (and more nuanced) than the anime. Inuyasha: The Final Act captures a lot of that, mostly because it's the most directly translated manga-to-anime series I've ever seen.

AMVP

Sep 5, 2008
Meh, I don't really feel like looking through the rest of the comments to see if this was addressed, so I'll just ask: did you mean late 1980s in that first line? Seems like late 90s would make the anecdote a little after the fact.
Apologies for commenting on such a great video with a nitpick. Also, so far it seems like there's been greater preemptive backlash against the presumed reaction to the Inuyasha joke than there has been genuine backlash to the joke itself. The internet's a slippery place.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I am brazilian and I choosed o hear this show in english when I was young because of how much I liked the english voices in spite of not understanding all of it.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
I loved watching this as a kid in South Africa!

I'll certianly pick up the dvd box set when it's out. :D

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Bob, all is forgiven for having made that joke about Inuyasha. Probably make another set of fuck ups by the end of the month, but for now, good job.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
DVS BSTrD said:
Mangod said:
DVS BSTrD said:
That was a very informative episode Bob,
I never knew Inuyasha had a script.
Just because I'm morbidly curious, and never saw the show; what was so bad about it that Bob thinks it would've been improved by losing the script?
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
Harold! Shrek! Fiona! Fiona! Mom! Harold! DONKEY!
SIT BOY!
*THUD*

Cut and paste for about twenty minutes and you've got an InuYasha episode.
is it wrong that I thought of this video when I read that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRLITM-KTw

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That's actually an interesting story. I'm probably one of the few people who never saw that series, but the story is kinda interesting. Especially that last bit about how the creators apparently thought it worked better as a spoof.

1nfinite_Cros5 said:
Lesson learned here from Bob: Abridging is the best thing to ever happen to anime.

Thank you, Little Kuriboh.
I was half surprised that Bob even knew about Abridging.

God, I love Little Kuriboh. Not just for his own series, but for his voice talent. His Frieza is spot on in DBZ Abridged and I love his Nylock in the new Tome series.
Suddenly wanna watch some Abridged series...

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
So Save our Samurai actually worked? We're getting our DVDs? THIS ladies and gents is why the world will end. Our (mine) long awaited dream will become fruitful, and the takeover by the SPC will continue where it left off! HUZZAH

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
i've never heard of ninja pizza cats and i'm glad i didnt grow up watching that crap, i enjoyed watcing masked rider when i was younger

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
This show seems ludicrous. I have no idea how to handle that. I still want to see it, but I have no idea why. Possibly as a drinking game.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Oh wow, I remember Samurai Pizza Cats...I used to watch it when I was a kid, along with Power Rangers, Dragonbal Z, Big Bad Beetleborgs... ah, the good old days...

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
I always remembered seeing an episode of this waaaaaay back when I was a kid, home sick from school. Since it was only on during a time of day when kids are supposed to be in school, no one else had seen it, so I was left to grow up as the vague memories of that one episode grew fainter and fainter...

Until it was referenced in an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged. Then I realized there were others who remembered it, and watched the whole series online. God bless you, internet.