The Big Picture: Future Assembly

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Darkstrike_11 said:
MB202 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
MB202 said:
I wonder if there ever WILL be a Hulk 2 movie... I mean, apparently, Thor and Captain America are getting a sequel, and Iron Man 3's on it's way, but not the Hulk? Well, it wasn't the BIGGEST box office success, but who knows, maybe The Avengers will change THAT as well...
Considering they tried two Hulk movies so close together I don't doubt we'll see a sequel if the Avengers does well.
I didn't think so...
Trust me, after Avengers Assemble, there will be another Hulk movie. Mark Ruffalo owned every scene he was in, the hulk gets the most epic moments and funniest bits of the film. Everyone walked out of the cinema talking about the hulk being the best character. There WILL be another film :D
We can only hope.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Just watched the Avengers. Sorry to say this, but the movie has all the excitement of playing a game in God mode. With no character development, a pitiful antagonist, and a contrived plot, it is just non-stop special effects. Not to say that the special effects are not awesome. If you are a fan of Transformers, watch the Avengers.
Darkstrike_11 said:
Trust me, after Avengers Assemble, there will be another Hulk movie. Mark Ruffalo owned every scene he was in, the hulk gets the most epic moments and funniest bits of the film. Everyone walked out of the cinema talking about the hulk being the best character. There WILL be another film :D
Very true.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'd much rather have Marvel and The Avengers changing the movie industry than more of Michael Bay. Yet, I live in a world where that isn't going to happen.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
There was a similar idea to the shared terrorist cell idea, but instead it is a fictional South/Central America Country called Val Verde.

Bandolero! (1968) takes place in Val Verde in 1867.

Commando (1985), Arius (Dan Hedaya) is the former ruler of Val Verde and sends John Matrix (Arnold Schwarzenegger) to kill the current president but he escapes en route.

Predator (1987), Arnold Schwarzenegger?s rescue team is sent to Val Verde ostensibly to rescue an American politician.

Supercarrier (1988) the USS Georgetown commanded by Capt. Henry K. 'Hank' Madigan (Dale Dye) docks in Val Verde just as civil war breaks out.

Die Hard 2 (1990), General Ramon Esperanza (Franco Nero) is from Val Verde.

Adventure Inc. (2003)

It's not a coincidence either as Fox owns the rights to the name.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
V TheSystem V said:
zombie711 said:
I get to see the Avengers on Friday.
Same here, taking the missus who has only seen Captain America (but enjoyed it) so am going to be explaining everything to her on the way to the cinema. There's also gonna be a new Dark Knight Rises trailer before The Avengers, so I may just nerd all over the floor.
I had a guy sat behind me with his girlfriend, and no lie - EVERYTIME a new character came on screen she loudly asked who they were. Unbelievable.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
I couldn't disagree with Bob more,
and I would explain it properly here, but I don't like writing, so I wont. meh

I hate it when seperate series suddenly pretend to be in the same reality, because it never makes sense, and it's just an insultment to 1 or all of the individual series.

Also, what are you guys talking about a new 2nd Hulk movie ?
there are already 2 hulk movies (and they both sucked)

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Iron Criterion said:
V TheSystem V said:
zombie711 said:
I get to see the Avengers on Friday.
Same here, taking the missus who has only seen Captain America (but enjoyed it) so am going to be explaining everything to her on the way to the cinema. There's also gonna be a new Dark Knight Rises trailer before The Avengers, so I may just nerd all over the floor.
I had a guy sat behind me with his girlfriend, and no lie - EVERYTIME a new character came on screen she loudly asked who they were. Unbelievable.
Only person I had to explain to her was Coulson. Drew her a diagram linking all the films together the day before, and telling her the important plot points and people. She ended up enjoying The Avengers so much she wants to see the other films. Best. Girlfriend. Ever.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Poor bob. Had to wait a couple of days to see this awesome awesome movie.

I saw it the day after you posted this :D

With friends and family :D

On my birthday :D

In Europe :D

Shhhhhhhhh, No no no... Don't say anything. Just let me enjoy the moment.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Don Reba said:
Just watched the Avengers. Sorry to say this, but the movie has all the excitement of playing a game in God mode. With no character development, a pitiful antagonist, and a contrived plot, it is just non-stop special effects. Not to say that the special effects are not awesome. If you are a fan of Transformers, watch the Avengers.
I disagree, it is really hard to say anything specific without spoiling major bits of the movie but this was FAR from a special effects-fest a-la transformers. Most of these characters already HAD their development as characters in their own movies and now this movie is about taking the characters that have already been established and developed and putting them in a new adventure (which is where the comic-book continuity style comes in real handy). And even then you can still see changes in them based on how they react towards eachother. The Avengers has splendid writing (thanks to Joss Whedon I presume) and all of its heart lies with the cast. The interactions are spot-on, the characters bounce off eachother perfectly and the movie manages to be absolutely hilarious without feeling at all forced or contrived. I can totally believe that every one of these characters really WOULD make every joke they make in the entire movie, and every single funny line or action is delivered with perfect timing.

The plot may not be a masterpiece but it certainly isn't contrived at all. There isn't a single plothole or out-of-character moment in the entire movie, and they manage to deliver excellent explanations for all the more complex schemes without feeling like they grind the movie to a halt.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
It would be really cool if the Ark of the Covenant in Spielberg's The Ten Commandments was the same as in Raiders.

Don Reba

Jun 2, 2009
Silverspetz said:
The Avengers has splendid writing (thanks to Joss Whedon I presume) and all of its heart lies with the cast. The interactions are spot-on, the characters bounce off eachother perfectly and the movie manages to be absolutely hilarious without feeling at all forced or contrived. I can totally believe that every one of these characters really WOULD make every joke they make in the entire movie, and every single funny line or action is delivered with perfect timing.
I agree that the writing is good, but I could not shake the feeling that every joke made in the entire movie could have been made by Mal [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Reynolds].

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Don Reba said:
Silverspetz said:
The Avengers has splendid writing (thanks to Joss Whedon I presume) and all of its heart lies with the cast. The interactions are spot-on, the characters bounce off eachother perfectly and the movie manages to be absolutely hilarious without feeling at all forced or contrived. I can totally believe that every one of these characters really WOULD make every joke they make in the entire movie, and every single funny line or action is delivered with perfect timing.
I agree that the writing is good, but I could not shake the feeling that every joke made in the entire movie could have been made by Mal [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Reynolds].
I have no idea who that is. But if you agree that the movie has a lot of good writing, then why did you say it was nothing but special effects the first time?

Don Reba

Jun 2, 2009
Silverspetz said:
I have no idea who that is. But if you agree that the movie has a lot of good writing, then why did you say it was nothing but special effects the first time?
If you look at any fragment of the movie, you see very competent acting, funny dialogue, and amazing eye candy. However, it does not hold together as a whole. The villain is weak, both figuratively and literally, being slapped around by individual superheroes throughout the movie. The challenges faced by the avengers are unconvincingly contrived to move the action forward. I still think the God-mode playthrough analogy is apt. There are many people who would enjoy it, and it does not reflect badly on them in any way, but for me it was an unsatisfactory experience.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Don Reba said:
Silverspetz said:
If you look at any fragment of the movie, you see very competent acting, funny dialogue, and amazing eye candy. However, it does not hold together as a whole. The villain is weak, both figuratively and literally, being slapped around by individual superheroes throughout the movie. The challenges faced by the avengers are unconvincingly contrived to move the action forward. I still think the God-mode playthrough analogy is apt. There are many people who would enjoy it, and it does not reflect badly on them in any way, but for me it was an unsatisfactory experience.
I still disagree. Loki was a pretty damn good villain I think. He is the god of trickery and deceit, so it makes sense that he isn't very powerful as an individual. His true strength lies in the mind-games he plays on the entire team and he actually seceeds in that aspect of his plan, which makes him seem like a very legitimate threat even if any of the avengers could take him down in a fair fight.

I don't get what you mean by the challenges being contrived, and it's again difficult to make arguments without spoiling anything for those who haven't seen it yet but I for one thought every step of the way made perfect sense given the personalities of the characters and the situations they were in. It made sense that certain characters would have the information others needed and that other characters would fight eachother when their personalities clashed.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Sorry to necro but I just went and saw Superman yesterday.
And Warner bros. (either by purpose or chance, I'm not sure) may have actually tried this.
During the previews they were showing a movie called "Gravity" also made by WB.
Anyway it had some similar visuals to "Man of Steel" and what was interesting is the way it was shot and composed I kept getting this weird feeling that the space disaster in "Gravity" was related to all the space battles and stuff in "Man of Steel"
two completely different movies and genres that have a weird tangental connection and WB might just have used that in the promotional material...
Maybe it's just a pipe dream, but maybe, just maybe, some sad marketing underling trapped in the bowels of Warner Bros. watches "The Big Picture"...