The Big Picture: Future Assembly

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Future Assembly

MovieBob is looking forward to The Avengers and its influence on film.

Watch Video

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
When he started about the mozes - indiana jones thing I was like "don't go there bob, don't be stupid now. Really don't be stupid...phew, he made fun of himself, nice safe there!"

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Nice amount of Bobcat Goldthwait in there. His latest movie, God Bless America, was great.

On topic: Battleship and Transformers being part of the same universe, sure. So long as I know what to stay away from if it's under a single umbrella.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
The Space Janitor ad is starting to get on my proverbial tits.
I'm on your site already! (and have watched SJ) So what more do you want me to do!!? grr

More to the point: the crossover between the 10 commandments arc and the Indiana Jones one had me laughing.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Does look like a fun movie, although im more interested in Prometheus than both Avengers and Batman put together.

Crossovers are fine, as long as they are not dumb. The idea of crossing a criminal from one movie with a hero from another movie wouldnt work. If you saw that criminal beaten once already why would you want to watch him get his ass handed to him again?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
hmmm.

could be interesting to see more cross over later, though, given, ya know, Hollywood ... i expect more trash then gems for a good long time. probably be a good idea to just think of the Avengers as the exception not the rule if movies do start having continuity

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I wonder if there ever WILL be a Hulk 2 movie... I mean, apparently, Thor and Captain America are getting a sequel, and Iron Man 3's on it's way, but not the Hulk? Well, it wasn't the BIGGEST box office success, but who knows, maybe The Avengers will change THAT as well...

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
30+ seconds unskippable add is starting to get on my nerves... don't say join the publishers club and dont say me telling you to don't say it makes you say it.

OT: Interesting idea about continuity in movies but then we'll get to se the same old actors more frequently because you know they are going to get the roles not newcomers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is what I've been saying for a while. Well, except the Ten Commandments bit. I hope this is good, because if it fails it could harm the continuity concept for a LONG time.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Interesting theory, but I don't think we'll see Hollywood latch onto it right away outside of "comic book movies", since as was established is essentially where the idea is originating from.

My guess is that the most immediate result this will have is Warner Brothers and DC looking at the Avengers and going "We should really consider trying to do that."

That is, if they haven't already, not too much is known about it, perhaps Man Of Steel may attempt some sort of DC Movie-Verse continuity. After Green Lantern it seems likely they'd try using their more globally famous characters for this sort of undertaking rather than someone who wasn't as well known.
If nothing else, it might at least convince DC to take another crack at a superhero movie not starring Bats or Supes... y'know after they get the reboots for those two out of the way first.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
looking forward towards your review of the avengers im going to take a shot every time its praised and plan on being very very drunk by the end

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MB202 said:
I wonder if there ever WILL be a Hulk 2 movie... I mean, apparently, Thor and Captain America are getting a sequel, and Iron Man 3's on it's way, but not the Hulk? Well, it wasn't the BIGGEST box office success, but who knows, maybe The Avengers will change THAT as well...
Considering they tried two Hulk movies so close together I don't doubt we'll see a sequel if the Avengers does well.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Interesting ideas there. As for Moses and the ark, my reason for not being too excited is that I've never been a big fan of the Indiana Jones movies. You can't blame me, given that I was born in the late eighties and my dad wouldn't let me watch Temple of Doom (for good reason from what little I know of it). I was much more interested in Star Wars, given that the special edition came out when I was growing up.

The closest I've come to being an Indiana Jones fan is that I've created a Scoundrel in TOR who I roleplay as having a strong interest in Archaeology.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
"It's most of you who will have to wait a couple of weeks."

Not us Aussies. We get to watch it in a few hours. I won't, because it's a public holiday and the theatres will be packed, but I could.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Seeing it Friday night! This Friday! Suck it, rest of world!

OT: Really interesting way of putting it down, Bob. Though this is Hollywood so this concept is far more likely to be abused and crapped upon rather than used in any decent way.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Nice, but TV has already been doing their versions of inter-universe cross-overs and spin-offs.

One aspect television-wise that I think is interesting -- how would connecting universes affect a series that's on it's way to cancellation? Example - I don't regularly watch Syfy shows, but I'm aware that Eureka and Warehouse 13 had cross-overs and basically established themselves as sharing the same universe. Then they went a step further and subtly introduced a character from Warehouse in the newer show Alphas, connecting all three shows. Right now, Eureka is slated for cancellation while the others have been renewed. Would it make sense to just throw out that connection and content? Hell, two characters apparently fell in love in one cross-over; is that getting glossed over? More importantly, with shows like Family Guy and Futurama being brought back by fan demand, could featuring a recurring character from a canceled series have the same outcome?

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I really okay with Mark Wahlberg cop from the Departed doing a cop movie with the dude from The Town, Wahlberg was one of the best parts of The Departed until he vanished for the final act only to wrap things up.