The Big Picture: Going Green, Part II

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Going Green, Part II

Everything you need to know (and more) about Green Lantern.

Watch Video

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
it has about as much of a weird storyline as Zelda!
but still very educational since I knew very little about Green Lantern.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I had always wondered as a child why there were two green lanterns and now I know.

And I have to say I was a bit upset at the missed oppourtunity to mention this....

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
It's not a waste, just saved me an afternoon of wiki articles. Time to replace it with the X-Men wikis. Those should be short and concise... right?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Uh-oh: Was that last bit about the movie not using any of those 2 episodes backstory and Green Lantern cannon a bit of foreshadowing Bob?

Is it at least well done? I mean the DC movie-verses can be considered their own entities at this point, right? I don't want to wait until Friday to hear about the movie but I'll hold out...or I'll try to anyway.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good job on summaries up the recent Green Lantern stories to those who aren't into comic books. You think it's weird that Luthor is a deputy Lantern of Greed, how does Wonder Woman represent love seeing how she doesn't have much of a romance life (yeah I know why she became a deputy Star Sapphire but still)?
However do to the recent news of the DC reboot I wonder how much they will change in the Hal and the Green Lantern histories?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I wouldn't call it a waste of my time if they don't follow any of that in the movie. I read blackest night and the rebirth stories once they went to the hard back compilations and while I enjoyed them there were bits that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Thanks then, Bob, for sorting out all that continuity in a neat little package.

You're like the guy who runs my local comic shop. After I decided to jump into the batman comics at issue 700 (only have a few of the compilation books) I went down to the shop, put the issue on the counter and stated "Wtf did I just read?". He was more than happy to explain to me that I'd just caught the tail end of a story arc where Batman fought the devil himself.(or something like that)

So thanks for being that guy, but on the internet.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
mmmmmmmmmmmkaaaaaay

i really should not read comic books, too much stuff to take in, but thanks i guess i now know how dc superheroes can't die which makes some sort of sense i guess

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Freakout456 said:
And I have to say I was a bit upset at the missed oppourtunity to mention this....

Thank you for that. Best laugh I've had ina while.

OT: Thank you for that MovieBob. I'm not a big fan of your reviews (more a difference in tastes then anything) but I really enjoy the Big Picture and Intermission article. Any chance of you doing others like that detailing other continuities/messes? (X-men seem to be the biggest offender here.)

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Okay DC, that turn around with Hal Jordan into the pantheon of emotions bit is really clever, and actually sounds interesting. Also this was great to watch as I'm a big fan of The Spoony Experiment, but never much on DC comics so I had no clue what the hell the bit with Black Lantern Spoony was, other than he was dead and evil. Now it all makes sense, so yay for double usage.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
On a mildly related note, I normally don't read comics, but recently I got my hands on Buffy: Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall, to round out my months of bingin on the two TV series. Having read through them, I was wearing my best "WFT???" face, especially near the end of After the Fall when almost every major character is killed off at least once (some several times) and brought back through time travel. Repeatedly. And that's before we get into the universe-creating sex scene from Buffy:S8.

Watching The Big Picture helps me realize that stuff like that doesn't count as wierd as far as comics go, it's the norm. For some reason, that makes me feel better...

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Good job on summaries up the recent Green Lantern stories to those who aren't into comic books. You think it's weird that Luthor is a deputy Lantern of Greed, how does Wonder Woman represent love seeing how she doesn't have much of a romance life (yeah I know why she became a deputy Star Sapphire but still)?
However do to the recent news of the DC reboot I wonder how much they will change in the Hal and the Green Lantern histories?
Luther has always been jealous of superman's power as well as the love and respect he gets from the people of metropolis and to a larger extent the world so it would make sense that hes an orange lantern, as for wonder woman her love is more of the maternal care for everything kind of love rather than the romantic kind (plus it was a good excuse to get her into a skimpy outfit)

OT: great show bob definity one of your better ones, and you did a pretty thrueoe job of explaining GLs history given the short time you had(kinda disappointed that you didn't mention kyles girlfriend in the fridge).

Solon_Mega

Feb 7, 2011
Dude you are awesome. You are my weekly source of "Heel yeah!". Please don't stop being awesome. Or else... Ya know... Bad things happen.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
And of course what a way to end brightest day, with all kinds of random stuff, and of course, death.
Hawkgirl dies AGAIN

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That solution was pretty inventive, I like it.
I think these episodes are my favourite of the series yet, you should focus the big picture completely on comics and have yet another show for the stuff the big picture was supposed to be about.