The Big Picture: Going Green, Part II

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Kinda make me want to read a whole bunch of green lantern now (although I'm not more hype by the movie since it would take forever to get to the emotional spectrum)

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Geoff Johns, capable of taking silly concepts like emotion-powered, rainbow-colored armies and making them awesome. That man is one of the best things to happen to Green Lantern.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well when you say that he was possessed by an intergalactic fear parasite representing the fear emotion of yellow in the emotional EM spectrum that made him do bad stuff that way it almost sounds silly.

Now comes the inevitable problem with Necron in that heroes will continue to come back from the dead and the previous clever reason wont make sense anymore.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
This cannot possibly be a waste of time for me. Despite basically being the biggest geek in the family, I know little of comic books- that's my brother's department. As it so happens, Green Lantern is his all-time favorite. So now, when the movie comes out, I'll be able to follow the pre-viewing rant... regardless of how much/little of the backstory comes into play. Thanks for saving me the extra lecture time!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow Bob, the more of these "Comics are Weird" episodes that you do, the more thankful I get that I never got into comic books.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
I like Bob's stuff, but these videos about comic backstory are starting to get a bit boring. I mean don't get me wrong, comics are interesting, but I was hoping for a bit more analysis from Bob- in this case, specifically about the implications of fanboy bitching being able to directly steer the course of a franchise. I was looking forward to hearing his opinions on that, especially as H.E.A.T actually got quite nasty, even personal.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
Oh, joy, my previous post was lost forever during the site issues.
Oh well. I'll try to reproduce it.

If listening to you is a waste of time, it's time well wasted. This video was incredibly interesting and I love the way you tell it. Bonus, when I first clicked on the thread, I didn't realise it was the new one. When I did, a bolt of joy made me understand what it must be like to wake up on Christmas day having forgotten what day it is, and suddenly remembering. I don't remember a sudden realization ever making me so happy. Usually sudden realizations horrify or terrify me.

About the content on the video, it's all very weird, yes (comics are weird) but in an extremely fascinating way. Please do more of these in the future... although I love other Big Picture topics too so I don't know, ideally you'd start a spin-off series that's just about explaining comics to noobs like me, but you probably don't have enough hours in the day.

Either way, keep up the good work!

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Good to catch up on DC, I gave up reading them and Marvel about a decade ago when I learned that it doesn't matter how cool your character is if they get regular stories for more then two decades under a dozen different writers, they cant help but get turned into some idiotic thing that cant even get compared to the original anymore.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Redem said:
Kinda make me want to read a whole bunch of green lantern now (although I'm not more hype by the movie since it would take forever to get to the emotional spectrum)
I'm in the same boat - never really felt like reading comics before, but this actually makes the whole thing sound cool enough to make me want to. Bob mentioned before that jumping in at the start of an arc, and just looking up anything that you don't understand if it interests you is a good enough start, so maybe I'll give it a try ...

Awesome74

Jul 21, 2010
"Everyone forgives him except kinda sorta Batman, because.. because Batman."

Not only are these videos highly informative, they also have awesome one-liners that make me literally laugh out loud. Excellent one this week, Bob.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
FROM THE MOVIE TRAILER:
Main Character (green lantern) says: "I know, right??" after showing off his new suit

Narrator says he uses his powers to "Kick ass!"

Yea, Bob, I don't think they're going to use anything but the name. I don't even read comics but my "bro seneses" are tingling and telling me they're trying to make a guy in a green costume wearing a ring look cool to the bigger douchebag market.

It's gonna suck.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
That wasn't a waste. It's always good to know exactly why my Father would despise or love a superhero movie based on the comic books since I can never completely follow along normally anyway. If only he had your style of condensing everything into short videos and pictures, I wouldn't feel lost all the time when he rants.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i liked this one bob, the whole mini-mythos exploration videos seem to bring out your inner geek / fanboy and you seem to invest yourself and do a really good job on them, well done you get a slow applause too

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
If they ignore all of this for the movie, which they probably will, it won't have been a huge waste of our time. We spent about 10 minutes watching the videos.

It will, however, have been a huge waste of your time, Bob.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
MovieBob said:
Everything you need to know (and more) about Green Lantern.
Thanks for summarizing the different color groups of lanterns and Blackest Night. I had been somewhat curious about the trade paperbacks, but had been shying away because it hadn't been terribly clear where to start.

Mar 28, 2011
Thanks Bob! I'm getting a tonne of Green Lantern collections this Christmas including Rebirth and Blackest Night, and you've enthused me even more.

Cyborg Superman as a Red Lantern? Even cooler than scarecrow.

GazDM

Apr 19, 2011
Sorry, can't let it go, the visible light spectrum doesn't contain black or white, black is the absence of visible light, white is a mixture of the entire spectrum...I know...I'm sorry, still good episode.