The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101: Part 1

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Stuff like this is why I watch your shows Bob. A great summary of a subject I really thought I knew more about, but you showed me otherwise.

As a side note, are the five minute limits to these videos something the Escapist puts on you or are they your own choice? Because I would totally watch a longer video if it meant for interesting information.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I thought the TV set was going to be the state of Nebraska...

Though as his explanation went on, yeah, it made more sense to be TV and less Nebraska.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Tarkand said:
I guess history repeat itself eh?

Now the big unstoppable juggernaut is very slow to adapt itself to the internet. >_>
Exactly what I was thinking. The difference is, that juggernaut might be "too big to fail" this time and end up taking down the Internet instead.

fierydemise

Mar 14, 2008
Nothing on the Hays Codes? I would expect just about any discussion of the early movie industry to talk about the Hays Codes, if only perhaps because it gives some interesting insight into entertainment industries vs. the first amendment which has been a big topic around these parts.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Littleman64 said:
Wow. Thank you for that. Also can't wait to see what the TV did in the next episode. It's up to something, I can feel it.
Ha!

I hope he covers things like TV networks, Cable, pay per view, VHS, DVD, DVR, ratings and advertising. But then we only get about 5 minutes an episode, so if he feels the need to move onto something geeky like more Captain America as seen by the world, or whatever, I'm along for the ride.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That much I already knew about Hollywood, and the sad part is that movie studios also "owned" actors and they couldn't work outside the studio. We, they could, but it was really hard sometimes for them to get work in a different studio.

Now I'm really excited about how tv changed Hollywood, I think I have a vague idea what it is, but I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be big.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
TitanAura said:
It's understandable how much this relates to the history of animation (my expertise). Disney was another one of those "brilliant but diabolical" businessmen who absolutely dominated everything in the industry at least during the golden age of animation (1928-1941). Probably the most insidious of his tactics was gaining exclusive rights to Technicolor for 3 years so that no one else could use it and thereby shutting out every other studio at the time.

Not to say Disney was some kind of monster though. I'm just a former Disney employee who knew better than to accept the standard "Walt was a god among men" idealism that has penetrated every level of the Walt Disney Company over the years. Yes, the man innovated a relatively young medium FAR beyond its years and left a smoke trail for others to eventually follow, but he was also human. A terribly paranoid, blacklisting human.

Anywho, can't wait for part two. I expect Saturday morning cartoon serials will at least be part of the discussion. I'll be sure to add additional information in the comments section.
Oh cool, at which period did you work at Disney?

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
gigastrike said:
Palademon said:
Is that missing no. at 2:56 in the word block or...what?
I thought the same thing. Can't tell if I'm just finding patterns in nothing, though.
'ffmpeg' will do that sort of thing if you over-compress a video. The Escapist has taken to some fairly aggressive compression measures, presumably to lower bandwidth costs.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Ahhh, back in the days when the supreme court wasn't in the pocket of corporations and actually enforced anti-trust acts

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
You kind of missed another big event, the reason why Hollywood became Hollywood. It wasn't just because it was cheap. It was because it was cheaper to move across the United States than it was to rebuild in the old silent movie city, Jacksonville, Florida.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
My guess is it didn't work out very well for movies. Until they realized they could make money showing movies on television.

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
It's almost like th'difference 'tween night and day when ya consider th'fact of how much i still enjoy Moviebob's "Big Picture" vids, vs how epically p*ssed-off i tend to get when watchin' his movie reviews...

o'course, i'm still watchin' both, so what does that say about me?

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
fierydemise said:
Nothing on the Hays Codes? I would expect just about any discussion of the early movie industry to talk about the Hays Codes, if only perhaps because it gives some interesting insight into entertainment industries vs. the first amendment which has been a big topic around these parts.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That much I already knew about Hollywood, and the sad part is that movie studios also "owned" actors and they couldn't work outside the studio. We, they could, but it was really hard sometimes for them to get work in a different studio.

Now I'm really excited about how tv changed Hollywood, I think I have a vague idea what it is, but I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be big.
I have to agree with these two posts.
MovieBob says you can't argue with the result...greatest films, blah, blah.

I think you can't talk about the Studio Era without 1) Talking about the Hayes Code (which wasn't replaced until 1968!)--and the negative impact that had on artistic output (for example, ending Mae West's film career) and 2) Talking about the effect of the studio system on those that labored under it. You have to talk about the abuse of a Judy Garland and the extremely shoddy treatment of a Lena Horne, you have to talk about the gang rape of Girl 27, the treatment of gays, women, minorities, children.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
You kind of missed another big event, the reason why Hollywood became Hollywood. It wasn't just because it was cheap. It was because it was cheaper to move across the United States than it was to rebuild in the old silent movie city, Jacksonville, Florida.
Well, that and because they wanted to be able to escape to Mexico in case people wanted to arrest them for various questionable practices they were doing at the end of the 1920s.