The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101 Supplemental: The Code

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Well, that was a very interesting month of "The Big Picture"! Hopefully we'll get more theme months in the future in which Bob educates us about the history of something many of us, as geeks, should know about but probably don't.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
*clap clap clap* well done. I quite enjoyed this 4 part explanation of the film industry history. Very interesting and even a bit enlightening. I would like something like this to be done again in the future.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
04whim said:
I'll be a bit weirded out if it's not about movies when next I see you, considering the show's titled "Escape to the Movies".
It's called the big picture, bub lol. Still though, The Big Picture does sound movie related :p

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone have an extended version or a loop of that music that plays at the start of these videos? If you do, kindly share.

OT: Good episode as always.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
could someone please tell me what game is shown at...0:46.

It's an old classic I played with my brother once...but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

-V

Jul 9, 2008
brazuca said:
Funny how things change from one jurisdiction to another. In Brazil and Portugal, I think in Italy too, it's the Departament of Justice also the gov who says what is offensive and what is not. Self regulatory sometimes appears to be more draconian than the gov. Weird huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Justice,_Rating,_Titles_and_Qualification

PS: there are pages about it and every country (not every really) on wikipedia. I say it's worth checking out.
Emphasis mine. I suppose that the reason for that is, once a law is on the books, it's significantly harder to get rid of it than it is to phase out an industry standard. What I mean is, say that the Hays Code never came about and the government decided to censor films. I have little doubt that the code they came up with would have been less Draconian than the Hays Code, but I bet it would still exist today. (edit: or it would have existed for significantly longer)

Of course, I could be way off base on that. Bob, what's your take?
Burningsok said:
04whim said:
I'll be a bit weirded out if it's not about movies when next I see you, considering the show's titled "Escape to the Movies".
It's called the big picture, bub lol. Still though, The Big Picture does sound movie related :p
Haha, he was just joking, since the next EttM will be out before the next Big Picture.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I really think censorship in the US is best summed up with this line:

Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.

For those unfamiliar it's from the Comics Code Authority, not the MPAA, and that line gets me every time. Yeah I know it's not movie censorship but its close enough and its hilarious. Banning "werewolfism" and the such is beyond ridiculous, and its good to remember the beyond ridiculous parts when someone tries to start this up again.

When Fallout 3 came out I was doing my student teaching and a lot of my middle school students were playing it . . . this honestly disturbed me a bit. But there's really no way to start down this road without ending up banning werewolfism, or something equally ludicrous. Makes me glad that the First Amendment was upheld earlier in the year.

sewingrose

Nov 18, 2009
I really enjoyed the summarization of Movie History in America, granted I knew a fair bit about most of it before, but I like having these fun concise videos to link to my friends now.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Watched a documentary on the MPAA called "This Movie is Not Yet Rated".

Was an excellent look at the current (as current as the movie was...) state of the MPAA and movies nowadays.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I just like to say thank you for a interesting history lesson even though I doubt it will come to any real use, it has been fun and did not know Hollywood history could be this interesting to learn.

I think it's good to bring up "censorship through time" since it's still a very debatable subject. Not just game "censorship" but also what hollywood aims for when they create movies.
No blood gore or swearing, yey let the small kids see it and let the parents/older people sit through another cute and fuzzy movie. But (I've argued for it before) say the last Harry Potter movies would need some swearing the "main audience" has grown up and want a more adult movie.. not that say "Cars 2" need swearing but really to many movies are to kid friendly..

But also something that surprises me is how many really bad/ boring movies gets made in their long history haven't they learnt whats good and talked about long after cinemas stopped showing them. We do not get these kind of movies all that often, but sometimes I get surprised District 9 was a huge surprise did not sound that good on paper but when I left the cinema I knew what film I would recommend to friends..

O well gone of topic again so I just stop here

Ps. Thanks again for the history lesson

fierydemise

Mar 14, 2008
I'm curious Bob what you think of the current MPAA rating system. We can all list the obvious problems but mostly I'm curious what your take on statements made by a number of media and first amendment scholars that a government system would be preferable to the current MPAA system.

zirro

Jan 10, 2010
Thanks Bob, this whole series was great. In my opinion, you should keep doing many of these segments about movies; you've got a lot to offer on the subject so don't shy away. Much of film history (not to mention TV, games, music, culture in general) just seems bizarre when stripped of the context to support it. You're my primary conduit for getting said context, so keep it coming! :)

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
hmm I never knew that there was a huge tabloid existance in the early era, i always thought that there was kind of a respect thing going on in that time where the medai didnt go after hollywood.

Also Hearst was such a scumbag he on of those dudes along with hoover whom I wish would be treated like the villians they were in the history books.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Burningsok said:
04whim said:
I meant Bob's other show on The Escapist, titled Escape to the Movies, where he does he movie reviews. :p It gets released on a Friday so it'll be out before the next Big Picture meaning that next time I hear from him, it will be about movies. :)

rayen020

May 20, 2009
I'm kinda depressed he didn't mention it but if you would like to know more about the MPAA and some of it's shady history, backroom deals with the studios and how flawed it can really be. Go seek out a documentry called "this filmn is not yet rated". I know it's for instant watch on netflix.

***Also a note to the escapist. Please do not run video ads in tandem with your videos... I know its hard to find just banner ads, but this El Shaddai crap is hurting my computer. I will accept auto video play if i roll over it, or if there is some way to makie it pause so it doesn't have to stream with the video.just a note becasue my computer was chugging and moaning the whole time Big picture played causing the audio to be off and the video images to stall.***

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
God, FINALLY. I mean don't get me wrong, this episode was really interesting (probably the best of the "History of Movies" set) but still....This has been going on for a looooooong time. I'm ready to get back into complicated comic continuity and stuff about how nerds ruling the planet.

EDIT: Also, FUCK. THESE. FUCKING. ADS. Seriously, is anyone else seeing this? "El Shaddai"? Incredible amounts of lag? A medieval knight wearing blue jeans to your left? A LOT. OF FUCKING. LAG? Anyone?
I liked the episode as well, and was wondering when he'd get to the Hayes Code and hopefully the end of this little series.

Also, YES!! Jesus tap dancing Christ, I'm getting really tired of waiting for my computer to catch up with what I want to do. And they are fucking everywhere, so annoying!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Aw, that's it? And I wanted to hear more about today's system and where it all went wrong? I'm guessing the movie going public? Yeah, let's go with that.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
MovieBob said:
vxicepickxv said:
I actually want to see what a lot of those older movies were all about.

How many of them are public domain now? Does anyone know where I can get them on the cheap if they're not?
The bad news is that about 50% of all motion pictures EVER produced are completely lost to history due to inadequate preservation, and as expected what was left to rot first were 'taboo' films that they figured would never be sellable again.

The GOOD news is that, a few years ago, there was a big "fad" among studio archivists of releasing "Pre-Code" movies on DVD sets. TCM in particular did a 4-volume run of boxed-sets called 'Forbidden Hollywood' that had some of the more notorious ones and a lot of genuine rarities. There was also a seperate series called 'The Glamour Collection" that grouped older, mostly pre-code films by "sex symbol" actresses of the pre-WWII era (Mae West and Marlene Deitrich especially) into multi-film sets.

Searching Amazon (or the retailer of your choice) for those or just "pre-code movies" in general should yield a good set of results, and many of the individual titles listed are on Netflix or may even be public-domain enough to be viewed online. The only thing to be "prepared" for is that A LOT of the material plays more as an interesting time-capsule than as genuine entertainment today; i.e. there's a lot of "filler" surrounding the racy/violent scenes that were the big draw.

What's left of Fatty Arbuckle's work is spread out among many, many low-end public-domain DVDs; though most archivists agree that it represents only a fraction of his work and that most of his best productions seem to be gone for good.
I'm more interested in them as an aspect of history and camera experimentation, as opposed to being a well written, well scripted, and well performed movie.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
These 4 hollywood episodes where very interesting and I enjoyed them very much. You know you did your job well, because history of hollywood will be what I talk about to everyone for the next weeks ;)