The Big Picture: Hollywood History 101 Supplemental: The Code

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
I actually want to see what a lot of those older movies were all about.

How many of them are public domain now? Does anyone know where I can get them on the cheap if they're not?
Back in the 90s channels like TMC and AMC use to show a lot of those old movies, but since TV is for retards now movies like Jurassic Park and Twister (nothing against those movies in particular) are considered "classical oldies."

lol

Anyways, movies like those are not really that hard to find, and a lot of them are still great. Out of my 10 favorite movies of all time list, three of them I'd condsider classic I'd highly recommand.

-Vertigo
-The Greatest Show on Earth
-Giant

Simply awesome, and no where showing their age.

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
Why did something so horrible have to take place on the same date as my birthday?
Oh well... Yes i enjoyed every last episode.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well that was very interesting and educating.
The more i know, the better. And i really didn't know much about Hollywood history.
So, yeah. Nicely done, Bob.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
MovieBob said:
NaramSuen said:
So that means that all films had to deemed acceptable to all audiences? I cannot quite get my head around that concept.
Pretty much, yeah.
It is one of those things that I can understand intellectually, but have a hard time actually envisioning.

Completely unrelated, The Legendary Starfy is a lot of fun thanks for pointing me in the direction. Keep up the great work!

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
I don't mind that it took so many episodes since I enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the history lesson Bob.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Ok 30 seconds in and i need to say something....

OMGWTF RAMPART!!!! AHHHH now that was an awesome game

gotta say you scored a few points by busting out that game :)

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Judging solely off of his recent Twitter post, I can only assume that Weird Al Yankovic watches The Big Picture. If this is true, I can say he's got good taste.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
I have one thing to say;
This Film is Not Yet Rated.
Definitely see it if want to know more about the MPAA, Jack Valenti, or the immoral 'morality' that controls our movies today.
EDIT; Ninja'd. Damn.
Still a great documentary

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
This has been my favourite episode until now, it's very well redacted and enlightening. I did more or less know about the history of cinema you covered in past episodes, but how it was linked to censorship was a mystery to me.

I think it's a shame what this code of censorship did in the end to the whole culture of the US, and also to the rest of the world it influenced. By this I mean how certain subjects ended being taboo, and how this has halted many great ideas from flourishing. Then again, a society with censorship and hard rules tend to be boiling pots for interesting art, take Victorian England as an example.

Anyway, thanks for the series. I like the ones about comics, but frankly, comics are quite weird.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Nice to know that those days are gone and will never come back (hopefully). It also represents the repeated failures of the "Freedom-means-the-right-to-live-as-we-tell-you-to" brigade, also known as Fundamentalist Zealots.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Awwwww, but I want to know more about the movies.

The last four weeks were excellent insights into the history of Hollywood. It's great to have stuff like this, and Hollywood History 101 is the biggest reason why Bob is my favourite movie critic/informative video people.

Grey_Wolf_Leader

Feb 13, 2011
An interesting video, educating, but not really "enlightening" as people would say.

Part of the reason why I say that is I actually believe that some censorship in the modern world is necessary. *Le Gasp!* You read right people, I just wrote one of the most taboo things you can possibly write on a public internet forum. Before the hate mail starts flooding in though, hear me out.

1. I do not believe in the censorship of abstract ideas. I do not believe in censoring someone just because he offers up a new or different idea, or is just different.
2. I do not believe in silencing someone just because he disagrees with me.
3. I believe that we should reestablish some basic rules of civility, regardless of medium, such as using clean and appropriate language, and talking about serious subjects like sex in a meaningful and respectful way.

On a side note: MovieBob, I would like to respectfully ask that you not insult my intelligence as well as the intelligence of other average Americans by insinuating that the culture of little-town America is somehow "backwards" or "unenlightened" because urban society devolved into decadency, hyper-materialism, hedonistic-sexuality, amorality, and moral relativism before everyone else did.

And no, I do not agree with Jim Crow, I'll probably use contraceptives when I get married (after having five or more kids), and I happen to love Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Grey_Wolf_Leader

Feb 13, 2011
So you're saying that having moral standards of proper behavior, designed to cut down on harmful problems of all kinds, from one's physical health to the health of one's relationships with others, are somehow "repressive" by nature? That one cannot think that sex is good, and still not have it with everything that has legs?

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Dear Bob

I have to admit that this little run about the history of Hollywood has to be one of the most enjoyable things I have watched in a long time.

You did a hell of a job.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
As much as it will be nice to move on to a different topic, this was a very good series, and I enjoyed it. I found it informative, and some good time away from what was almost an oversaturation of comic book topics. Can't wait to see what will be next!

Mordack

Aug 7, 2011
vxicepickxv said:
I actually want to see what a lot of those older movies were all about.

How many of them are public domain now? Does anyone know where I can get them on the cheap if they're not?
The one image, that showed two women kissing when Bob stated that homosexuality was banned from movies, was from the film Queen Christina. You can also get it in the Greta Garbo Signature Collection, but the box set is kinda expensive and some films, like Mata Hari, are still censored. The films are cheap if you buy them separately, though. You can see a few scenes from her films on YouTube as well.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
So in a sense you could argue that William Randolph Hearst (and groups like Fox following him) are the anti-fad; popularizing and sensationalizing the backlash against what is popular and sensational, attacking what had progressed beyond the cautious if not paranoid outlook of a minor niche of American culture that couldn't handle their own growing pains and demanded the right to sleep in their parent's bed for another couple of years, rationalizing their own arrested development and willful simpletonism* as holding true to a list of imaginary traditional values they themselves had never actually adhered to.

They continue to act like regressive children, demanding the world around them take extra care of them because they are impressionable youth who will be destroyed by our insensitivity instead of taking personal responsibility for themselves and acting their own age, thereby allowing culture itself to develop in a healthier direction.

People who thrive on creating obscene and vulgar forms of expression simply to provoke others will become redundant as there would no longer be an "anti-audience" to be outraged by and draw attention to said vulgarities, and in turn said sudience will have nothing to frame as targets for their otherwise ignorant and unfocused rebukement of percieved attacks on their traditional values. With no one attacking and no one provoking, the middle grounders who try to appease everyone by apologizing for everyone else (thereby stagnating rather than solving the problem) would also vanish, and civilization could finally get around to curing Cancer, building a healthy economy and getting us off this Godforesaken rock before we all breed ourselves into oblivion.

At least that's what would happen in my little fantasy. I like to dream. Even if said dream makes no sense.

*Kind of ironic, but I don't know if this is an actual word. But I took it from the Simpletons of "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller so that's got to be worth some smarty-points, huh?