The Big Picture: Is Django Racist?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Oh god fucking dammit Bob, you forgot the spoiler alert. Everything was pretty fine until "that one bit".

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Short answer, no. Long answer no it is not racist.
Oooooooh, that's a Bingo!

Not only this but it's very obviously a fantastic film.

Spot on, Bob!

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Not to be racist, but I am a bit worried that some black people may walk away from Django thinking that it's a good idea to murder white people and blow up their houses, because then you'll get a wife and some fancy clothes, and overall a pretty happy ending. But I guess that's the world we live in, where anything, no matter how thought-provoking and good-intentioned can turn into an elementary school massacre.
What are you going on about? You think that black people are suddenly going to become remorseless killing machines after watching Django? The same way video games cause young, stupid people to start school shootings? You might want to review your prejudices.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
The guys over at Spill.com are still banging on about how this movie was "just an excuse for Tarantino to use the N-word" so I doubt this controversy is going away anytime soon.

Liked the movie just fine, myself. Would like to see Samuel L. Jackson get some very deserved props for infusing so much sheer hate into his character.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, I think this will be a skip week for me. I really don't care about the opinions of someone who's relevance ended after he made Crooklyn in 1996. On top of that, I really don't see the point of people wanting to defend a movie they like as though liking it means you have to apologize for it.

I like a lot of movies that are questionable nowadays. I do not feel the need to defend them.

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
Some of the criticism of the film gives me the impression that it's The Help with guns. If I ever watch the movie I'll see how that pans out.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
If the movie was made by a black director and writer, Spike Lee would say it was one of the most poignant movies of our time. If you ask me, the only thing that's racist about this movie.. is Spike Lee.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Wouldn't it be funny if Spike Lee's ancestors would trace back to the African warlords that got rich from slave trading?

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
Couldn't have MovieBobby just left this topic alone, instead of coming off as a righteous, pretentious cavalier shmuck?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Of course Spike Lee was going to be against this movie...it's a movie about black people (well, person in this case) and he didn't make it.

On a bit of a tangent: evidently a lot of people in Hollywood are pissed off at the director of Zero Dark Thirty because the director didn't use the movie to openly criticize "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" torture.

So apparently if your movie isn't openly pushing liberal/progressive messages, Hollywood's gonna be upset with you.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Dana22 said:
Oh god fucking dammit Bob, you forgot the spoiler alert. Everything was pretty fine until "that one bit".
Yeah, tell me about it. Didn't even think it was a spoiler until you pointed it out then it finally dawned on my that "that one bit" was probably a big enough plot twist to take some of the fun out.

Then again, wasn't going to spend any money on this movie in the theaters at least. I'm not a big western movie girl.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Nice one Bob. I always love to hear your thoughts on issues like this. My sister is with a black man and has a kid by him. They aren't married but are very much in love. I love my little niece and her father. They are part of my family. I had an awkward conversation with my sister's man before I went to see Django. (I friggin' love the film, by the way.) He isn't sure how he feels about the part of history the film reflects. For him, just hearing the word...ah I don't even want to type it. The "N" word will have to suffice I guess. You thought so too, it seems. For him, just hearing that word repeatedly and in the context of how it was used in the film was too much for him. He watched a bit of it and walked out. He said it was too much. He didn't really have anything negative to say about the film other than that. It wasn't that he didn't like the film. He just couldn't take the visceral stuff. He and I had a great conversation though. A series of them actually. I posited that maybe he didn't stick around long enough to allow the catharsis of the film to take hold of him. He posited that it was difficult for him to have fun in the film, even though he knew that was what Tarantino was going for. My sister's man "got" the film, he just wasn't having fun and in fact, was made so uncomfortable that he left. He wasn't mad at me for staying or anything though. The conversations are not done yet either. Tarantino accomplished what he was going for in my family for sure. We're thinking, and talking unguardedly about a very painful subject. It's been good. All that aside, holy crap was that a good movie. I really loved it! Great topic man. You nailed it.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Me: "Oh, Spike Lee must have seen a screening and..."

Spike: "I won't see the movie because..."

Then your opinion is irrelevant, isn't it?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
Tarentino is savvy.

Does anyone know if there's a topic for this interview? This guy is awesome.
I loved how that hit some media outlets over the weekend with "OMG Tarantino's bizarre rant!" and some screenshots taken out of context; spend a few minutes actually watching the interview, and you see how much Guru-Murthy was trying to bait him. "So violence, why do people like violent films, why do you make violent films, violence, violence, what about your responsibilities as a filmmaker using all this violence, do you think there's a link between violent films and psychopaths, violence, violence?"

The Graham Norton Show was brilliant last week; with Tarantino, James McAvoy and Alan Davies. Not particularly deep (what do you expect from Graham Norton?) but a good laugh.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
hermes200 said:
I am confused (haven't seen Django yet), but is this not the same argument that can be used for Inglorious Bastards; i.e. that the oversimplification and cartoonization of a dramatic period and the protagonists makes the power fantasy backlash on its intent? So, I guess Django is as racist as Inglorious Bastards was antisemitic. Or is it that nazis are a valid karmic target for people, while white colonial landlords are not?

I am genuinely curious, since I didn't like the way the power fantasy plays on Inglorious Bastards, but I got that it was not meant to be an historical reconstruction; so I don't really get where the Spike Lee comments come from.
I think part of Bobs point is that Django ISN'T simple, that it actually is genuinely about something. Bob said in his review that Django is actually pretty down to earth when compared to, say, Kill Bill, because since the slavery era was already such a violent period of American history, Tarantino didn't have to make that much up.

Bobs argument, and I would agree, is that to treat dark parts of history like they can never be spoken of has, ironically, the very same effect that people accuse Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained of having; it distances them from public conscience.

A great man once said "Artists use lies to tell the truth", and I think that applies; by being boisterous and over the top, by depicting these atrocities in a extreme way, you get people to pay attention to them, you make sure people don't forget them. An interesting fact is that human beings don't respond as strongly to large quantities of suffering as they do to individual suffering.

Sometimes just saying it how it is, just being cold and factual isn't enough, sometimes it's more important that you communicate what something meant to you, that you really make something FEEL real to your audience, instead of just telling them it is.

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
I completely agree with Bob's final points and also I think that's exactly what Mel Gibson was aiming for with The Passion of the Christ.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
PainInTheAssInternet said:
What are you going on about? You think that black people are suddenly going to become remorseless killing machines after watching Django? The same way video games cause young, stupid people to start school shootings? You might want to review your prejudices.
Well, I suppose I see your point. I guess I'm just worried about the young, stupid black people. The rest of them are probably fine, just like I'm sure the rest of the world that isn't young or stupid probably won't do much harm.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Xman490 said:
Dr. Schultz added another literary reference by quoting a philosopher (whose name I forget) who spoke out against slavery or abuse right before...
shooting Candie instead of shaking Candie's hand, sparking the gun fight that seemed to end the movie.
I believe it was Alexander Dumas, author of Count of Monte Cristo, and the Three Musketeers, and who was also black.