The Big Picture: Is Django Racist?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
josh4president said:
The guys over at Spill.com are still banging on about how this movie was "just an excuse for Tarantino to use the N-word" so I doubt this controversy is going away anytime soon.

Liked the movie just fine, myself. Would like to see Samuel L. Jackson get some very deserved props for infusing so much sheer hate into his character.
I wonder if some of those guys have ever seen an un-censored episode of the Boondocks. I would be very surprised if the average episode wasn't as dense with the N-word as Django is, if not more so.

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Of course Spike Lee was going to be against this movie...it's a movie about black people (well, person in this case) and he didn't make it.

On a bit of a tangent: evidently a lot of people in Hollywood are pissed off at the director of Zero Dark Thirty because the director didn't use the movie to openly criticize "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" torture.

So apparently if your movie isn't openly pushing liberal/progressive messages, Hollywood's gonna be upset with you.
Actually, what *people* (not the nebulous, evil cabal of "Hollywood," which is a meaningless word anyway you're using to group a bunch of people together to create some sort of silly conspiracy) are angry about is the fact that the Senate report on the CIA's use of torture recently came out, and it turns out that torture was NOT used in the effective manner portrayed in the film. People are angry that the director and producers decided to rely on the CIA itself for information, fostering a relationship with its spokespeople for that information, and essentially getting misled in the process into making a film that portrays torture being used in the hunt for bin Laden in a manner that is factually untrue.

A little bit of research goes a long way.

EDIT: and perhaps you should question your own views before posting? You know, ask simple questions like, "if I'm right and Hollywood hates Zero Dark Thirty, why is the old guard of the industry, that most entrenched and powerful of groups in the town -- you know, the Academy -- giving it recognition? Why did the awards show to which all of the big names show up and respect nominate the film for FIVE Oscars, including BEST PICTURE, best actress, and best screenplay?"

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
Bob, this was one of your best, most well-constructed episodes ever. Kudos to you.

Also, people should read the text below the video before watching, as that is where Bob often puts his spoiler warnings (as in this case). I'm not saying it's fair that he counts on everyone reading that text -- it's probably not. But I'm just letting people know it's there for the next time they watch one of these episodes, in case he continues to put the warnings there and not in the actual video.

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Great, didn't see the spoiler warning since it was just a text line under the video. Urgh, I hope this doesn't completely ruin the experience for me...

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Arslan Aladeen said:
josh4president said:
The guys over at Spill.com are still banging on about how this movie was "just an excuse for Tarantino to use the N-word" so I doubt this controversy is going away anytime soon.

Liked the movie just fine, myself. Would like to see Samuel L. Jackson get some very deserved props for infusing so much sheer hate into his character.
I wonder if some of those guys have ever seen an un-censored episode of the Boondocks. I would be very surprised if the average episode wasn't as dense with the N-word as Django is, if not more so.
Yes, actually. Main Spill guy Korey Coleman has said that he could never get into The Boondocks, because the show seriously overuses the N-word.

The Spill Crew also called the film a cartoon, like Bob suggested that some people might find it to be. Furthermore, they said it was "irredeemably uneven, way too long and not nearly as funny as it thinks it is", in the words of Spill Crew member Martin "Leon" Thomas. Leon - who, like Korey, is black - also said regarding Tarantino's statements about wanting to create a hero for black people in Django: "Hey, man; next time, ask me when you wanna do something for me, so I can tell you early on, 'That's stupid and stop, because you're making things worse'."

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Movie Bob always manages to produce the most level and unequivocal justifications for his opinions than anyone else I care to listen to.
I'm happy to almost always take his opinion as the 'correct' option as I've been watching his videos for the longest time and I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've disagreed with him.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Holocaust movie? I thought Tarantino did that movie already.

Spike Lee gets pissed always seems like a punch line to me. When isn't he pissed.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Not only am I mad that Spike Lee still has enough cachet to say he won't watch a movie and have people listen to him, I'm annoyed that he gets called a great filmmaker. Name a Spike Lee movie that's not "Do The Right Thing" (1989) or "Malcolm X" (1992). He hasn't made a great movie in twenty years. Why are we talking about him like he's some sort of visionary?

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
hermes200 said:
I am confused (haven't seen Django yet), but is this not the same argument that can be used for Inglorious Bastards; i.e. that the oversimplification and cartoonization of a dramatic period and the protagonists makes the power fantasy backlash on its intent? So, I guess Django is as racist as Inglorious Bastards was antisemitic. Or is it that nazis are a valid karmic target for people, while white colonial landlords are not?

I am genuinely curious, since I didn't like the way the power fantasy plays on Inglorious Bastards, but I got that it was not meant to be an historical reconstruction; so I don't really get where the Spike Lee comments come from.
The thing is Basterds was kind of pulling double duty in terms of its themes/message compared to Django.

ALOT of Basterds fixated around film-related stuff (the theater owns by the Jewish girl, the soldier/film star, the critic-spy).

Much of that plot centered at a movie made by Joesph Gurbals who made a ton propaganda movies for the Nazis in an attept to influence people. The tone of the movie and the Bastereds themselves were kind of cartoon-y and very "movie" like on purpose. Yes it was for Jewish revenge but it was also kind of "movies getting revenge" for being misused for evil by people like Gurbals (this is also shown by what was used to set the theater on fire).

Django had a different thing going on like Bob pointed out. Basterds was about movies getting revenge on people who use them for evil as well as a holocaust revenge film.

.....But thats just MY interpretation so maybe I am full of it =p

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but I felt greatly disappointed when Spike Lee pulled the equivalent of sharia-induced hatred on cartoon muhammad.

"I have not seen the movie, but it's racist and even trying to accept or actually watch it would mean to disrespect and denigrate my ancestors."

Not exactly something I can easily accept from a film maker and public figure. It's like he crawls up his own bottom to fire up Twitter.

Also, he just single-handedly crushed any and all hopes for his (obsolete) remake of Old Boy to be worthwhile or relevant in any way, shape or form. If you want to see Old Boy, go watch it, as in, now. Why wait for Spike Lee's vision of a decade-old movie?

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
I appreciate there's only so much you can do in 6 minutes but I feel this video only skims the surface of the controversy. To begin with, a lot of the complaints have to do with the factual accuracy of QT's portayal of slavery in the southern plantations. There's also the issue of whether QT is in a position to preach about slavery or if he's just a casual spectator trying to impose his ignorant ideas into the debate. Many people have problems with particular pivotal scenes that don't handle the tone of the violence against black people with proper care. A lot of people have issues with the scarcity of well-developed, important black characters and the scarcity of dialogue lines spoken by black characters.

It's in no way a simple argument to take part in but the trend I find most worrying is that the camps of for/against can be neatly divided into black people noting it is kind of racist here and there and white people enthusiastically denying any possible hint of racism in any shape or form. I don't really feel there are many people who aren't black who actually want to have a conversation about why it is or isn't racist while there are a lot them who just want to completely win the argument and keep QT's record untarnished, as if that's the point of art or conversations.

I mean seriously, the film's poster shows three people: only one of them is black and all of them are middle-aged men. In a movie supposedly about slavery, this strikes me as odd.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
In some ways, arguably Django Unchained is a step up simply because Django is, in fact, the main character. Dr. King is an interesting character and an important one, and his presence is necessary not only as a mentor but to make the ruse that occupies the second half of the movie possible- but he's not the hero. How many movies "confronting" their issues are sure to make certain that the "real" hero isn't one of the afflicted, but someone the audience can more easily identify with and perhaps dodge any possibility that they'll feel guilt that people not so dissimilar from themselves were the villains in the related histories?

I'd also have to confess that after movies like Bamboozled I'm not entirely willing to give a filmmaker like Lee an automatic pass on his credentials to address historical racism with clear vision.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Short answer, no. Long answer no it is not racist.
Even longer answer: Jamie Foxx said his favorite part about the movie was getting to shoot white people. That line makes it into the movie, but he said it before the script did.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
mrblakemiller said:
Not only am I mad that Spike Lee still has enough cachet to say he won't watch a movie and have people listen to him, I'm annoyed that he gets called a great filmmaker. Name a Spike Lee movie that's not "Do The Right Thing" (1989) or "Malcolm X" (1992). He hasn't made a great movie in twenty years. Why are we talking about him like he's some sort of visionary?
Crooklyn, Tales from the Hood, He Got Game, Summer of Sam, The Original Kings of Comedy, and 25th Hour I'm no fan of Spike Lee if I saw the man on the street I would probably just say hey there goes Spike Lee. I just only know these movies because of certain actors or actress.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Markunator said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
josh4president said:

Yes, actually. Main Spill guy Korey Coleman has said that he could never get into The Boondocks, because the show seriously overuses the N-word.

The Spill Crew also called the film a cartoon, like Bob suggested that some people might find it to be. Furthermore, they said it was "irredeemably uneven, way too long and not nearly as funny as it thinks it is", in the words of Spill Crew member Martin "Leon" Thomas. Leon - who, like Korey, is black - also said regarding Tarantino's statements about wanting to create a hero for black people in Django: "Hey, man; next time, ask me when you wanna do something for me, so I can tell you early on, 'That's stupid and stop, because you're making things worse'."
We're getting hung up on the n-word and missing the broader picture that with every blank Jamie Foxx fired, he wishes they were real bullets. He said the best part of the film was seeing white folks die. Tarantino should've cast another talent that wasn't so hateful.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
I take umbrage with Spike Lee's statement because they were not stolen from Africa. African sold other Africans into slavery. Yes, that's oversimplifying how it actually happened. No, I'm not trying to downplay the European's involvement in the African slave trade. No, I'm not saying or claiming that's any better. I'm simply stating that the best way to honor them would be by acknowledging what happened accurately, not by trumping up an already tragic history for your inane argument about why you won't watch a movie.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
So now that a sacred cow is in the crosshairs, now we get the qualifier that not everything is racist just because someone claimed it is.

Hey, maybe all you people who liked Django are just secret racists who are completely unconscious of how your predominantly white culture has made you so racist that you didn't realize how racist it was to watch and enjoy a piece of fiction.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
RJ 17 said:
Of course Spike Lee was going to be against this movie...it's a movie about black people (well, person in this case) and he didn't make it.
Pretty much. I really can't think of a reason Spike Lee would dislike the movie so much apart from a white director beat him to the punch and did it better than he would.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
Is Django Racist?

MovieBob gives us his opinion on Quentin Tarantino and race in this.

[This review contains spoilers concerning Django Unchained]

Watch Video
What about Jamie Foxx? I think fantasizing about murder (when a specific race is involved) is extremely racist, and he admitted to it while promoting this movie.