The Big Picture: It Seems Today ...

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
templar1138a said:
And I might be inclined to give the post-cancellation show a chance, except for several things.
1. Bob, you liked The Hangover. Hell, you loved The Hangover. When I saw it, it was definitely a set of the worst 90 minutes of my life and thinking about it still makes me bitter.
2. Your butt-hurting over Star Trek: Into Darkness and ignoring/insulting what made it good made me lose faith in your ability to objectively critique. I'm convinced that your opinions are ruled by your nostalgia.
3. All the traits of the director's works that you listed are unappealing or disgusting to me.

Also, before watching this I was simply uninclined to watch Bob's Burgers. Now I'm going to try not to.
I also love the post-cancellation shows a lot more than the first episodes, and for a lot of the reasons Bob listed. The characters feel more rounded and the humor they bring feels a lot more grounded in their characters. They aren't just sock puppets the jokes are acted through, their personalities and chemistries produce the comedy. And I find myself liking the show for more than just the humor. The Brian and Stewie episodes are my favorites just because I love the pair so much. The Road to Multiverse episode and Brian and Stewie from the latest season are definitely my favorite episodes. Brian and Stewie probably isn't the "funniest" episode, but Macfarlane made the episode sort of as an experiment to see if the two could hold an episode on their own. And they do, and I think it's interesting where things go.

Also, we have a lot in common as far as tastes. I also don't like the Hangover or comedies like it, I enjoyed Star Trek: Into Darkness[footnote]Though I'll say I agree with Bob in that pretty much the entire cast was just retreading the lessons learned from the previous movie, and there needed to be more Simon Pegg.[/footnote], and I don't remember any of the directors Bob listed in the video but I'm not one to get hung up on directors anyway (unless their names are Hayao Miyazaki or Peter Jackson).

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
nightazday said:
Wouldn't say I hate family guy as I'm just sick of the whole animated sit-com thing. What the Flintstones and the Simpsons brought to animation has pretty much been done to death on both extremes. Kinda of on the level of non-animated sit-coms on their overplay (though animated ones are slightly more tolerable).

Now if you REALLY want to piss people off say you like the Big Bang Theory.
I... kinda like "The Big Bang Theory".

...ironically! I, uh, like it ironically! Yeah, that's it!

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Whoa...hold on...Tosh.0 is hated? Huh, I find that enjoyable.

I like Family Guy in that it's something fun to watch. When I'm playing Skyrim or CoD and want to listen to actual music, I'll pop it on Netflix or whatever. I don't hate it, don't overly love it, but I do enjoy it. Maybe I'm away from the internet too much, cause I didn't realize it was that hated. The more you know.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I enjoy Family Guy & Tosh.0.

I wanted to enjoy Bob's Burgers, but it has this indescribable thing where, like watching Brendon Fraser act, fills me with a sense of embarrassment. I mean, no one's watching me watch, so that makes it all the more confusing. I was also disappointed that it turned out to be animated & not done with puppets, like in the first commercial.

I have a hard time with Amazing World of Gumball; it seems stupid, yet creative, the humor is completely hit-or-miss, I hate the sound of children's voices, yet if it's on & absolutely nothing else is, it seems tolerable, & that confuses the shit out of me.

Yes, lot's of confusion; not knowing how to feel about shows in the grey area that aren't good enough to like & not bad enough to hate.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I find Family Guy infinitely more entertaining than Bob's Burgers. I vastly preferred Bob's Burgers when it was called Home Movies and it was actually funny as opposed to just being awkward and uncomfortable.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
It seems I will be echoing a common sentiment in this thread, but liking family guy was something worth apologizing for? I thought you had something serious, something to actually apologize for bob, like being a closet homophobe or something.

but thank you bob, THANK YOU. Thank you for letting me know I am not the only person who thinks Daniel Tosh/Tosh.O or douchebag shit/shit.o as I call him and his shitty show, sucks.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Okay, having seen newer episodes of Family Guy over my vacation last week, I'll say that some of the newer episodes are actually pretty good, even funny! I think they just went through a period of sucking before finally getting back on track. I still think The Cleveland Show was a bust (and I'm glad he and his new family are moving back to Quahog), and that American Dad might be slightly better.

Dunesen

Jul 31, 2013
NAdducci said:
This has bugged me ever since I saw the "Big Pictcha" episode accusing South park of "not taking a stand on anything". They do.

Yes, it's mostly outlined by poking holes in things people DO take a stand on, but then asserting that the better line of reasoning would say that people should make their own judgments and then keep them to themselves in 99% of cases. Their ideology is very Libertarian leaning and is consistently so, and thus DOES HAVE a valid ideology.

Bob's ridiculous assessment of politics leaves much to be desired. Which is perhaps why every assessment of the character changes from first run Family Guy to returned Family Guy, he liked and I hated. Except for Stewie and (kind of) Brian's.

Also, (and no it isn't unheard of) but for those of us who didn't watch the Simpsons until after watching Family Guy, we have a bias to liking the first run of family Guy vs. later for obvious reasons, and probably preferring the early Simpsons vs. now for the same reasons.
THANK YOU! This has been bugging me for so long, Bob trying to dismiss South Park because, as far as I can tell, it doesn't buy into the "Democrats vs. Republicans" narrative the media tries to put forth. South Park has always been about undermining both established sides of an argument. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but pointing out a third option when all you hear are "A or B. A or B." is a stand.

And Douche vs. Turd was about the 2004 election, when us liberals (like Bob) had the choice of an asshole we wouldn't vote for or an uninspiring nobody who's platform was "I'm not the guy you hate." You would think Bob would appreciate that, unless his Massachusetts pride made Kerry seem presidential in his eyes. And if so, I have no idea what to say to that.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I too like family guy, and while I agree that the character development has been a hugely positive process I have to say I feel Stewie did lose something along the way. Yes he is a fuller more well rounded character, and I applaud that, but I found the whole "evil genious baby" bit really funny and I don't think that had to be sacrificed. Also in earlier episodes his sarcasm was sharper and he was more witty in general.