The Big Picture: It Seems Today ...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
The episodes are hit and miss for me but when it hits, it's pretty damn good(like Multiverse). The effort put into the show is easiest to notice in the music and the more challenging scenes like the chicken fight. The writing, as it always was, is a mixed bag.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Yeah I don't mind Family Guy and it can have some really epic episodes, such as the Stewie and Bryan roadtrip movies and the like. But for a majority of episodes I can't really stand it sometimes. It relies too heavily on jokes it's already done, like the chicken/peter fight which, in my opinion, went on too long the FIRST time they did it. Then there's the whole thing with Meg being considered ugly which just doesn't make sense to me. Her animation isn't made to be wierd or anything, she's not fat despite the fact that everyone says she is and even if she was that wouldn't be a reason to ridicule her. I guess maybe I'm just too female to get it.

Also, I'll admit that some of my distaste for the show comes from the fact that I just don't like Seth Mcfarlan as a person really. I don't think he's very funny, instead he seems like the kind of guy that does "shocking" things in order to watch people be shocked and when they get upset or offended he just hollers "but it's just a joke, you're just too easily offended. There's nothing wrong me! It's all of you!" but that's just how I see it.

OverEZ

Nov 12, 2011
Bob, I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed...

Bob's Burgers, yes. American Dad, yes. Cleveland Show, sure. But Family Guy? You're better than that.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I honestly enjoy Family Guy, American Dad and Cleveland Show.
Yes, I said it, I "enjoy" Cleveland Show.

... and there's not much to say really, if you like them, good for you!, I enjoy them also (I've never seen Bob's Burgers before, mainly because I don't dig the animation style, but I'll check it out down the line) and seriously, I've only seen just a couple of people aroud these parts who doesn't like neither of these shows, I wouldn't consider it "the whole internet".

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
WTF is supposedly so good about Bob's Burgers? I've only watched about half an episode but that's all it took to know it sucks.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I just think it's funny that on an Internet populated mostly by American liberals, it's Family Guy that gets bashed for its political messagemongering, while South Park, which is unabashedly Libertarian in nature and has such messages as "who cares about saving the planet; if it gives some people an excuse to be smug, it's not worth it", is the people's favorite. And don't get me wrong; Family Guy genuinely does suck at its political writing most of the time -- the episode where they go to Texas and that joke where a Nazi has a McCain/Palin button on his jacket are some of the most infuriating things I've ever seen on the show. I'm just amused that they're so bad that people will actually admit they're bad despite their own political leanings.

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
I've seen too many episodes of Family Guy and I won't be sad if I never see one again. I find its humour to be thorougly cheap and shallow. First, the animation is very bland. Secondly, The voice acting is boring at best and grating at worst. And third, most if its jokes are simply references for their own sake, and the few jokes with potential are dragged on to a bore. To me, it's just afwul television, just like its carbon-copies American Dad and Cleveland Show.

So yeah, I hate the show. I know a lot of people who really seem to enjoy this stuff though, and my friends throw a lot of FM-references around. The times I had to sit through a "humourous" rendition of "the bird is the world" are noumerous. They never go on about the appeal of Brian's cool live-in uncle appeal or anything like that, and the show really doesn't seem to bother with any kind of characterization beyond what's neccesary for cheap jokes.

Once again, I think Bob's reading too much into things. MacFarlane seems like an okay guy and does posses some talents, but as I see it, he had an unexpected hit with an easy Simpsons knock-off and hasn't really had the guts to try anything radically different since then.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
the episode where they go to Texas and that joke where a Nazi has a McCain/Palin button on his jacket are some of the most infuriating things I've ever seen on the show.
You mean the episode where they go back in time and end up in Nazi Germany. And then they meet a Nazi who has a McCain/Palin button on him? I'm sure your mind was angry for something else because they did not went to Texas in that episode.

Or was it because you thought they ended up in Texas and it had Nazi's walking around? Now that would be absurd. Texas doesn't have old school Nazi's. Only the dumb Neo-Nazi's who are of course not only limited to Texas and the United States.

And a small addendum: I myself am leaning to the right when it comes to the political view. But even I thought McCain was a man who is (still) well on his way to his grave and Sarah Palin..well Lisa Ann [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Nailin%27_Paylin%3F] was a better Sarah Palin than Sarah Palin herself.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
synobal said:
Seriously? that is your big thing? You like family guy? Big freaking deal. I don't understand what the big deal is.
The big deal is that if you talk about Family Guy anywhere on the internet, it summons legions of haters who flame you to hell and back... and that's if you DON'T admit to liking it.

I honestly never understood the hate, but I'm gonna chalk it up to the same kind of backlash that Diablo 3 got. After so many years with the first three seasons (back when it was acceptable to admit to liking Family Guy), I think people resented when it came back and things weren't exactly identically the same.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
spunkgarglewiwi said:
Steve the Pocket said:
the episode where they go to Texas and that joke where a Nazi has a McCain/Palin button on his jacket are some of the most infuriating things I've ever seen on the show.
You mean the episode where they go back in time and end up in Nazi Germany. And then they meet a Nazi who has a McCain/Palin button on him? I'm sure your mind was angry for something else because they did not went to Texas in that episode.
I was referring to two separate episodes.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
Not really seen family guy but I did like American Dad. So is American Dad like the first 3 seasons or the ones after that?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
People hate family guy??
Where I come from you usually get queer looks when you say you don't like it :p

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
SlightlyEvil said:
This video failed to touch on the two things that turn me off from Family Guy. First, the cutaway-humor style means that while the show can generate funny lines, it can't keep up a consistent pace. Second, Peter Griffin is completely and utterly despicable as a person and as a character, and I cannot get invested in any story that centers around him.
First, the cutaway humor that McFarlane uses IS ALL ABOUT PACE! He uses it to cut into his own stories and add an already determinedly timed joke where it wouldn't be easy to touch in without being awkward. It's a blatant trick that he over uses but to say that Simpsons and South Park are devoid of such tricks is a bold faced lie. It's a standard fact that directors have favorite tricks, and I'm a little tired of everyone attacking the Family Guy one just because South Park brought it up that one time. You do realize that the creators of South Park, Matt and Trey, both agreed that they were ONLY KIDDING and that the pokes at family guy were out of love. It's strange to see people take the ridiculous Manitee criticism so fucking seriously.

Second, Peter Griffin is SUPPOSED to be utterly despicable. Family Guy is a DIRECT parody of the common sitcom, and he's the stand in main character. It's the SAME fucking joke as Homer but more blatant, and more in your face. They lack that subtlety but use the blatancy of the character to make some solid points. Yeah, that's the OTHER criticism from the SAME episode of South Park. Family Guy IS actually about stuff in the exact same way The Simpsons is...I know, crazy.

A lot of the modern criticism for family guy came after another satirical cartoon show attacked it. An attack that was in no way returned by Family Guy, which sadly makes people who take this stuff too seriously hate on it all the more, and I'm FUCKING SICK OF IT! It was a god damn joke from a god damned joke show, and even the creators of the show said so. Do I think either Matt or Trey seriously meant that Family Guy was very random? Yes, because it is. Random DOES NOT MEAN BAD!!!

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Wait-WHAT? Tosh.0 is on the 'bad list'? Daniel's style and routine is that of a dominant embodiment of a 21st century clown, aggressively throwing you back and forth and tossing you against the wall and ceiling with pitch-perfect shock attacks and incredibly dense reference-laden spiels that make you feel like Tosh's best friend when you actually get one of them.

I can understand the majority of people being put off by this style, but widely considered BAD? As in, not at least widely respected for what it is? Like okay, its main feature is playing Youtube clips and commenting on them, but it's not like that automatically devalues everything around it; Tosh's commentary on top of them is really sharp. Besides, the real meat of the show is the other original content like the Web Redemption segments, which absolutely blow my expectations away almost every single time.

*breathes* Okay, back to the video...

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Your opinion of the earlier seasons matches my dad's view entirely, especially with Stewie. Whilst I don't actively watch it as much as I used to, I don't think it's bad by any means, maybe just not as good as it used to be.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Funny, I loved the first two seasons, and after it came back it went downhill for me.
Some episodes are good, the ones you mentioned obviously, but most just bore me.

And being bored means ... not enjoying comedy.

Dajmin

Jul 18, 2008
I've always loved Family Guy and never understood why the internet as a whole seems to have this massive hate for it. I also think that in the same way It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia took a few episodes to pick up (for me), it gets funnier the more you watch it. There's some really well-judged moments of expectation, where you know that a cut off is coming and they hold off or don't do it at all - usually breaking the fourth wall to let you know that they're perfectly aware of how much they use it.

I know some people's biggest problem with it is that some of it is utterly ridiculous. And not in a Simpsons-esque "does Homer even have a job any more" not-really-relevant and still technically possible way, but in a "what the hell just happened to my brain" way. And I love that. I love that when it comes to side stories or cutaways, there is literally nothing they won't go for. Some work better than others, but the very fact that they can do that shows they don't mind utterly destroying anything believable in favour of a laugh - even if it is a confused one more than a gutsy one.

Seems to me like Bob missed one of the things that makes Brian so fantastic as a character though. The fact that he is this semi-intellectual but insecure person in one scene, but then he'll immediately break off and start doing something very dog-like. Sniffing butts, dragging himself across the carpet, barking at neighbours. It's a brilliant split-personality and all the funnier for it.

Yeah, I like Family Guy too.