The Big Picture: Junk Drawer 2014

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Junk Drawer 2014

MovieBob takes on Shia LaBeouf, Family Guy and Man of Steel 2.

Watch Video

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I'm sorry, but the rape scene in both versions of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was enough for me. I'd prefer not to see where a Kite adaptation takes that >.>

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'm still laughing at your reaction to Shia Labeouf, but I admit not being a big fan of other people misery, even if I can't stand them...

On another note... Wow, they're really trying to pump up Superman vs Batman, putting every cannon fodder they can...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I disagree with you about Lex Luthor because it makes sense to me that Lex Luthor would want to profit from his various inventions. The existence of Lex Corp also gives him a good vantage point to pull off his schemes for and gives a good way to explain how he can launch attacks on Superman so often and still afford the next giant robot.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
On the note of 2 Broke Girls, wouldn't 'sexy humor' first have to qualify as 'humor' to begin with? I've seen that show. I don't think it's very funny...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I'm sorry, but the rape scene in both versions of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was enough for me. I'd prefer not to see where a Kite adaptation takes that >.>
Ugh... the flashback when Saya is like twelve is something way too Japanese to see without revolting... and I'm supposed to be used to their shit. I can't imagine how someone who isn't would feel.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
There is an amazing scene in both the comic and animated feature of All-Star Superman that really shows off the ideas Bob has about Lex and his resentment towards 'the alien'. It's the one were he is pumping iron and talking to clark in prison, it really lines up with The Rock thing.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Earthfield said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

Ugh... the flashback when Saya is like twelve is something way too Japanese to see without revolting... and I'm supposed to be used to their shit. I can't imagine how someone who isn't would feel.
Yeah, I was squirming the whole time and this is coming from someone who has seen A Serbian Film.

DX

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I also think the Rock would make a great Luthor. It'd be Lex Luthor as Watchmen's Ozymandias--the pinnacle of human mental and physical ability.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?

How the hell do you even plagiarize a apology.

Kind of a shame that they didn?t really kill off brian, but alas the god of status quo had to be appeased.

Man of steel 2 is starting to sound less and like a movie in its own right and more like a prequel to a justice league movie.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Brian's "death" had me asking "why? Why? Why not all of them?"

I didn't honestly get the big deal, because it's Family Guy. But still, it was an interesting "gotcha." In that it actually got people.

Earthfield said:
I'm still laughing at your reaction to Shia Labeouf, but I admit not being a big fan of other people misery, even if I can't stand them...

On another note... Wow, they're really trying to pump up Superman vs Batman, putting every cannon fodder they can...
I have no idea what's up with Shia, but it seems DC is hell-bent on making a Justice League movie even if they have to forgo all buildup.

Andrew Siribohdi said:
On the note of 2 Broke Girls, wouldn't 'sexy humor' first have to qualify as 'humor' to begin with? I've seen that show. I don't think it's very funny...
What on Network TV is? I suppose he uses the term "humour" in a relative sense.

Azex said:
There is an amazing scene in both the comic and animated feature of All-Star Superman that really shows off the ideas Bob has about Lex and his resentment towards 'the alien'. It's the one were he is pumping iron and talking to clark in prison, it really lines up with The Rock thing.
Oh, I forgot about that, but it was pretty good.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You definitely have... interesting tastes in what you think Lex Luthor should be.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009

Yeah, I think he could be Luthor. Can you imagine him in a fitted suit? Hell, say what you will about the Daredevil movie, Michael Clark Duncan did work decently as a slightly slimmed down Kingpin. All you need is a director willing to effectively force Johnson to speak in a more eloquent (or even a forced eloquent) voice.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
the idea of the rock as lex luther made me pause the video and laugh to myself for a worrying amount of time. I would totally support that casting.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Hey Bobby, His name is Green Lantern *John Stewart*, Not the "Black GL" That is not the 1st time you did "that" when mentioning him.

You know the Not a Racist towards black americans, killer of GL corp, destroyer of govt property and his own movie franchise.

The Marine, guy who used his construction expertise to design the watchtower, 2nd oldest earthborn GL, and one of top instructors of the GL corp

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
The Gentleman said:

Yeah, I think he could be Luthor. Can you imagine him in a fitted suit? Hell, say what you will about the Daredevil movie, Michael Clark Duncan did work decently as a slightly slimmed down Kingpin. All you need is a director willing to effectively force Johnson to speak in a more eloquent (or even a forced eloquent) voice.
Come to think of it, since MCD is no longer with us, Johnson would be a pretty good Kingpin. Especially since they're working on a Daredevil series.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Fappy said:
Earthfield said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

Yeah, I was squirming the whole time and this is coming from someone who has seen A Serbian Film.

DX
Oh, Christ...

I found A Serbian Film in the bin at the video shop once. It was only about nine crowns/barely one dollar. I bought it and threw it in a river, to rid mankind of at least one copy of that abomination. It felt as if it was giving of lethal psionic radiation, and I can only hope I got it off my hands before I sustained permanent damage.

I dearly hope I will never have to stare into the horrid abyss that is the Kite DVD... Disposing of that would likely be my last sacrifice.

Although I'll have to find a better solution than throwing it in the river. I don't want the sea draugar eventually mailing the cursed thing back to me.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
themilo504 said:
Wait how the hell do you plagiarize a apology?
also what?s kite?
He worte part of a script for something and was caught plagiarizing from Ghost World's Cartoonist Daniel Clowes and then plagiarized part of the apology, and was caught again.

http://gawker.com/shia-labeouf-fucks-up-gets-caught-plagiarizing-again-1484814448

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I usually can download the video with my Galaxy S3, but it keeps reloading the page instead of downloading the video. Can one of the admins please see what's wrong? And yes I'm a premium member already.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
For a compilation of shorter notes, this was a fairly satisfying episode. You have my blessing to do this again anytime you're pressed for time.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Kite looked too depressing for me so I skipped that anime. I don't think I'll watch the LA adaptation either.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
SlightlyEvil said:
The Gentleman said:

Come to think of it, since MCD is no longer with us, Johnson would be a pretty good Kingpin. Especially since they're working on a Daredevil series.
Nah, a part of the Kingpin character is his girth (to which he has a complex about), which the late Mr. Duncan had in the form of extremely large... everything. Granted it was all muscle, but if he was wearing a suit, he'd look more fat than buff. Johnson's body doesn't quite match the consistency to suggest that given his broader shoulders.

Could you imagine Duncan as Luthor though? That would be interesting, if only to hear the internet racists go berserk

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
The Rock as Luthor is one of the worst suggestions I have heard in a long time. I get the feeling Bob just want the movie to be as bad as possible.

Here is a better suggestion: Corey Stoll

But really. I could have named almost anyone and they would have been better.

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Leonardo Huizar said:
Hey Bobby, His name is Green Lantern *John Stewart*, Not the "Black GL" That is not the 1st time you did "that" when mentioning him.

You know the Not a Racist towards black americans, killer of GL corp, destroyer of govt property and his own movie franchise.

The Marine, guy who used his construction expertise to design the watchtower, 2nd oldest earthborn GL, and one of top instructors of the GL corp
I don't know about you, but last time I checked, Jon Stewart was Jewish.

BOOM!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
themilo504 said:
Kite was an OVA from the 90s that sort of acted like a prototype for the later OVA and anime series Mezzo Forte. Not the same franchise, but the same creators. Here's an internet critic giving a more in depth analysis/play it up for yuks.
http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-kite-5956115

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Ok, forcing Batman into a Superman sequel was ok, but still a stupid idea. But still could be a good movie. Now, if what Bob said is true, they are just pushing every single character into it to rush out a JL movie for 2015. Is it me or is this a really stupid thing to do? How will they ever do any of the characters just like Marvel did with their characters. DC are rushing it - and every new bit of information on the BvS movie makes me less interested and more looking forward to it bombing to death.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Another year, another round of the junk drawer. Lesee what we got...

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers - I honestly did not know that. Huh.

The Resurrection of Brain Griffin - Can you say "cheap attention grabber"? Or maybe I'm just still bitter that the same sort of thing was done (much better in my honest opinion) on "South Park", and yet the still returned to the status quo in the next f***ing episode. Also, I'm hesitant about them crossing "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" but I guess my curiosity will get the better of me...

Your take on Lex Luthor- That sounds... interesting. At least it's give him a bit more character...

That's all for now, unless I can think of anything else I want to say (which is highly doubtful).

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
That bit on "The Beef" was too funny.

And can DC/Warner Bros just say they're making a Justice League movie? Seriously, with the 'cameo' list they keep adding to, it doesn't sound like they're just making a Superman-Batman crossover. Are we supposed to be that stupid to not see what they're doing, or are they just too afraid to actually say it?

That being said, would LOVE to see the Rock play Lex. Really solid idea IMHO, though you're right that it would really get the 'Net freaking out over in (both for and against).

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Kite looked too depressing for me so I skipped that anime. I don't think I'll watch the LA adaptation either.
The anime was amazing. Great story and has probably one of the most evil lines ever (in the dubbed version) used in an anime film.

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off. Hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god."

It was picked up and used in "Pretty Toy" by Velvet Acid Christ. Absolutely evil line, love it.

But a live action?

ehhh..

uh...

no....

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Nice to see Bob dipping back into the Junk Drawer once again. Just hope he hasn't come down with the convention bug like Linkara did.

Need to see Wolf of Wall Street before it leaves theaters.

Haven't seen 2 Broke Girls but, then again, I could give half a rat's ass what's on CBS so I've gotta abstain.

Also, people getting their nipples in a twist about stuff like that... please, seek professional help or find a better hobby to waste your time.

Didn't know about the Rescuers/Rescue Rangers trivia but I knew about the Indiana Jones tidbit.

Kite? Never heard of it. Need to do some research on that topic.

Shia LaBeouf... You know what? Not to be that guy but, in regards to his douche-bag acts of stupidity, I'm just gonna leave this here.

Brian's back? Yeah, that was quick but I haven't really been into Family Guy that much. Especially after seeing the one episode where Meg vents her frustrations towards her family and their cruelty but decides to be their punching bag after seeing that, without her, they degenerate into total pieces of shit.

Yeah.

Maybe I got the message wrong on that episode but, still...

Seth MacFarlane, when you promote a message like that, whether its intended to be funny or not, me thinks its time to quit this shit show and find something better to do with your fucking time.

UGH! The ongoing rumor mill on the production of Superman/Batman is making me lose even more faith in its production and its handlers. Then again, I had little faith going into this.

Although, I am sold on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on being Lex Luthor. In All-Star Superman (a comic book series I highly recommend to any fan of Superman or anyone looking for something fun yet touching), Lex's inferiority complex was well documented even on the physical level. Plus, it would be cool to see The Rock pull off another villain role.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
ITS BEEN FAR TO LONG! i really miss these junk drawer episodes. It gives me my biweekly dose of bob along with satisfying my stumber attention span.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Interesting episode, though I'd like to have heard more about Shia LeBeouf, since I am only peripherally aware of whatever's going on with him (stole a script, stole an apology, I dunno). If anyone could have made me show interest in whatever that twerp's problem is, it's Bob Chipman.

The Gentleman said:
Could you imagine Duncan as Luthor though? That would be interesting, if only to hear the internet racists go berserk.
Why wouldn't they revolt for Dwayne Johnson? I mean, his skin ain't that color because he tans.

Oh well, if I'm going to make fun of racists, I should probably be going at it from the "how weird is it to think a fictional character has a race" angle anyway.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
porpoise hork said:
-Dragmire- said:
The anime was amazing. Great story and has probably one of the most evil lines ever (in the dubbed version) used in an anime film.

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off. Hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god."

It was picked up and used in "Pretty Toy" by Velvet Acid Christ. Absolutely evil line, love it.

But a live action?

ehhh..

uh...

no....
My heart is kinda easily hooked by many types of media, so I go for more lighthearted things. Nodame Cantabile is more my type of anime.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Oh, yes... The Lex Luthor whose "evil genius" concocted plots involving things like "flying landmines" (apparently no one at Silver-Age DC realized there was any significance to that whole "land" part of "landmine") was so much more interesting than the one who's actually, y'know, relevant.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I'm sold on the idea of Dwayne Johnson as Lex, especially the way Bob described it. But then again Bob did go on to say that Silver Age Lex was somehow better than the modern version... yeah, I think Bob needs to turn in his geek card for that one.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
At least call it Junk Drawer 2014 part 1 otherwise you will have to make it till 2015 without a "bitty" but interesting episode.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Man of Steel and Man of Steel 2 still a better Dragonball Z movie(s) than that abomination that shall not be named.

The Shia "scandal" was too funny when i read about it.

Now i have an urge to want to see Kite (anime)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
MovieBob said:
Junk Drawer 2014

MovieBob takes on Shia LaBeouf, Family Guy and Man of Steel 2.

Watch Video
What? No no no no. The Rock isn't going to be Lex Luthor:

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

Yeah, and it would be hard enough to adapt a 45 minute OVA (60 if you count the hentai scenes) that fetures exploding bullets, corrupt cops, rape, and the main concept of child assassins. Seriously, I get that Samuel L. Jackson is in it and he probably actually watched Kite or at least knows about anime so he can help make the movie an american cultural adaptation of what is probably a concept with a lot of Japanese foreign concepts but unless they aim for an extreme violence and grit audience, it will just seem like a pale shadow of the original (seriously, the hand has a hole the size of the palm and the blood is minimal, I doubt they will do the rape of Sawa or any of the other infamous scenes). Seriously, the only way to have a worse project would be to do a trilogy of Kill La Kill movies (despite the pandering, there is a bit of brain and cultural symbolism behind each character and I bet that the glove will cause cry of rage since it's can be loosely related to suicide which does not has much of a stigma in Japan).

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
themilo504 said:
Kite [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(film)] is a movie involving a girl who has her parents murdered and then is sexually abused by two corrupt cops and forced to become a child assassin who's signature is sub-dermal exploding bullets

America doesn't have a good track record of adapting Japanese horror to the American market so how are they going to do anything with a concept and OVA which is full of Japanese cultural quirks.

Christ, why does Hollywood want to try to adapt Japanese media when I have a feeling most directors don't have enough of experience with anime or Japanese culture to do it justice.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Izanagi009 said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

Yeah, and it would be hard enough to adapt a 45 minute OVA (60 if you count the hentai scenes) that fetures exploding bullets, corrupt cops, rape, and the main concept of child assassins. Seriously, I get that Samuel L. Jackson is in it and he probably actually watched Kite or at least knows about anime so he can help make the movie an american cultural adaptation of what is probably a concept with a lot of Japanese foreign concepts but unless they aim for an extreme violence and grit audience, it will just seem like a pale shadow of the original (seriously, the hand has a hole the size of the palm and the blood is minimal, I doubt they will do the rape of Sawa or any of the other infamous scenes). Seriously, the only way to have a worse project would be to do a trilogy of Kill La Kill movies (despite the pandering, there is a bit of brain and cultural symbolism behind each character and I bet that the glove will cause cry of rage since it's can be loosely related to suicide which does not has much of a stigma in Japan).
I agree, Kill la Kill is far to steeped in cultural nuances to ever be adapted by another country, imo. It would lose everything that makes the show interesting (aside the art style/action sequences) if they were to overlook all of its counter-culture aspects. I mean, I don't consider myself an expert on Japan's cultural climate, but I know enough to understand the point(s) the show is trying to make.

Then again, if they were to take those themes and simply broaden them I could see it working. I think everyone in the world can relate to the concept of society vs. the individual.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
If DC is talking to the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson about filling a comic character role, safe money is on a very small handful of potential characters.

Safest bet = Lobo, yeah as soon as you see it in your mind you cannot unsee it. Someone at WB would easily see this as a great idea. Which in some ways it might be. The Lobo character basically operates on about the same level, mentality and target audience as professional wrestling as it is.

Less safe but interesting bets. If they are planning on using him in the Batman Superman movie, ie Justice League lead in?

- As a hero?
Hawkman. He has the perfect build and demeanor for Katar Hol. Scorpion King with wings. Anger management issues. Looks good holding assorted medieval melee weapons. Not a bad option.

- As a villain?
I'd go with Metallo or Parasite. I really don't think he can credibly pull off the "genius" portion of Lex Luthor as an evil genius. He probably is a smart man. But he doesn't cary it across as part of his character persona. Plus I don't think he is well used as a Megalomaniac type. So no Luthor or Braniac. However he would be dead on perfect for a Kryptonite powered Terminator.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Fappy said:
Izanagi009 said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I agree, Kill la Kill is far to steeped in cultural nuances to ever be adapted by another country, imo. It would lose everything that makes the show interesting (aside the art style/action sequences) if they were to overlook all of its counter-culture aspects. I mean, I don't consider myself an expert on Japan's cultural climate, but I know enough to understand the point(s) the show is trying to make.

Then again, if they were to take those themes and simply broaden them I could see it working. I think everyone in the world can relate to the concept of society vs. the individual.
Minus the blood-drinking snarky sailor fuku, word puns, hammy acting (seriously, i'm not sure how they could do Gamagori), or the soundtrack. Also, I think the whole thing with Revocs would be lost in America which has a different view on business interactions then Japan (which I argue is more aggressive and interconnected)

And given the general fanservice content in it, if they go the route of having scenes with Senketsu or Junketsu, we will have a massive outrage from the right and an equally violent defense from the left (the oddity of the U.S., we love sex and sexuality but we really do hold back compared to other countries, (one time in Rome, there was an advertisement for a BDSM shop in the middle of a busy pedestrian street, not tucked away or anything. I laughed thinking about how we are so loud with our magazines and the like with sex but with no fury or backing behind it))

vid87

May 17, 2010
Did not hear about Denzel Washington being in talks with DC, but I will say this:

Get him as Lex Luthor and my ass will be in that theater seat.

Get him as John Stewart and my ass will be in that theater seat OPENING NIGHT.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Bob, you didn't know? Dwayne Johnson has been in talks to play Black Adam in a live action version of Captain Marvel/Shazam!

And personally, I say "Hell the f*ck yeah!".

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
faefrost said:
If DC is talking to the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson about filling a comic character role, safe money is on a very small handful of potential characters.

Safest bet = Lobo, yeah as soon as you see it in your mind you cannot unsee it. Someone at WB would easily see this as a great idea. Which in some ways it might be. The Lobo character basically operates on about the same level, mentality and target audience as professional wrestling as it is.

Less safe but interesting bets. If they are planning on using him in the Batman Superman movie, ie Justice League lead in?

- As a hero?
Hawkman. He has the perfect build and demeanor for Katar Hol. Scorpion King with wings. Anger management issues. Looks good holding assorted medieval melee weapons. Not a bad option.

- As a villain?
I'd go with Metallo or Parasite. I really don't think he can credibly pull off the "genius" portion of Lex Luthor as an evil genius. He probably is a smart man. But he doesn't cary it across as part of his character persona. Plus I don't think he is well used as a Megalomaniac type. So no Luthor or Braniac. However he would be dead on perfect for a Kryptonite powered Terminator.
He's in talks to be Black Adam from Captain Marvel/Shazam, last time I checked.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I know right? They'll never get the correct sort of schlongs and what's with the wig? Saya didn't have red hair last time I checked. Geez, if ya gonna it, at least do it right. :p

At least the gun lunchbox case thing was cool. I want one.

More seriously though, why would people even agree to be part of Kite: The Live Adaptation?

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Terratina. said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I know right? They'll never get the correct sort of schlongs and what's with the wig? Saya didn't have red hair last time I checked. Geez, if ya gonna it, at least do it right. :p

At least the gun lunchbox case thing was cool. I want one.

More seriously though, why would people even agree to be part of Kite: The Live Adaptation?
Speak for yourself, Terra! I personally wouldn't mind having a creepy, wall-mounted statue of GOOFY staring at me while... okay, I can't finish that train of thought.

The scars Kite has left on my psyche are indescribable XD

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Fappy said:
No, there's no need for flashbacks, no don't. No... That face... it haunts me... T^T

Yeah, same here. At least we can cry together. *sniff*

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Terratina. said:
Fappy said:
No, there's no need for flashbacks, no don't. No... That face... it haunts me...

Yeah, same here. At least we can cry together. *sniff*
I'm sorry I subjected you to such brain torture. I couldn't watch it alone, after all >.<

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Fappy said:
I'm sorry I subjected you to such brain torture. I couldn't watch it alone, after all >.<
FAPPEH!

They don't need to know that. Go away internet people! Nothing to see here. >.>

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I love these Junk drawer episodes; so full of bite-size facts and trivia. I knew about Chip & Dale's fashion inspiration, but not about Tom Sellick being the first choice over Harrison Ford. Kind of like how Kurt Russel was originally going to be Han Solo!

As for Brian dying, Family Guy did the impossible to make me care about Brian, well after he turned into the uber-liberal Soapbox Sadie (OMG! TVTrope!) played too straight to be satirical. Basically, their show's Lisa Simpson. Still looking forward to their crossover episode. Speaking of Simpsons...

Last Sunday's episode proved Marge is an even bigger dork than Ned Flanders, so Bob, you may have to replace your image of "easily morally outraged dork" in future videos.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That reaction to Mr. Unrelateable Transformers Character's Actor. Brian Griffin's death was, as you said, never going to be permanent. It was too obvious.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Oh man. Now don?t get me wrong: I love Harrison Ford. Or, loved, I guess. He doesn?t seem to do all that much of note these days. But if we ever get to do some alternate-reality media swapping I HAVE to see Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones in said Indiana Jones movies and Wesley Snipes as Geordi in Star Trek TNG. We may give heterosexual masculinity some shit these days, but those dudes made manliness look good.

2 Broke Girls has the distinction of being the only thing dull enough to make staring at Kat Dennings not worth my time. If that letter writing campaign means that the writers can no longer pretend that clumsily set up references to sex constitute jokes, I say more power to ?em.

I don't buy any superhero, male or female, who weighs less than 130 pounds. No elves, no tiny Wonder Woman, no Black Widow, and no goddamn Hit Girl.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
God I hope they pull of wonder woman....I actually hope that more than that Man of Steel will finally be something I want to see more of. A real female super hero would be awesome. Black widow is great and everything but she's not super.

schwegburt

Jan 5, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
themilo504 said:
Kite was an OVA from the 90s that sort of acted like a prototype for the later OVA and anime series Mezzo Forte. Not the same franchise, but the same creators. Here's an internet critic giving a more in depth analysis/play it up for yuks.
http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-kite-5956115
That critic made me want to shiv my ear drums. He's not Movie-Bob complaining about salient details in an amusing and succinct manner. He's the nerd bitching a lot without saying anything meaningful while annoying the fuck out of whoever's unfortunate enough to listen.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Fappy said:
Terratina. said:
FAPPEH!

They don't need to know that. Go away internet people! Nothing to see here. >.>
Just to let you know, in about 8 years I'll have completed my training as a psychiatrist, and will be able to help you......
-_- Yes, I know...
[https://imageshack.com/i/5gimagescaiut7x7j]
Sorry.

But, until then, I can try to distract you two with conversation.
Bob is right with the whole physical and mental complex of Lex. The Rock would be a good pick.
Bruce Kilkowski said:
I'm sold on the idea of Dwayne Johnson as Lex, especially the way Bob described it. But then again Bob did go on to say that Silver Age Lex was somehow better than the modern version... yeah, I think Bob needs to turn in his geek card for that one.
Hey now. He didn't say "better", he said "more interesting".

I kind of see what he's saying with that.
With the modern Lex, we kind of know what to expect. Where he gets the funding, what he's going to try and do.

It would be interesting to see how people would try and explain how the evil scientist super-villain version does what he does. Or how he would act.

That said, he probably wouldn't be more, "efficient" than the evil businessman version.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
I'd like to see Idris Elba as Lex Luthor. Seeing as Marvel continues to absolutely nothing interesting with him as Heimdahl, I say let DC have a crack at him. He's a great mix of class, smarts and badass.

The Rock would be great, too. Everything is better with The Rock.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
tzimize said:
God I hope they pull of wonder woman....I actually hope that more than that Man of Steel will finally be something I want to see more of. A real female super hero would be awesome. Black widow is great and everything but she's not super.
Black Widow is not great. She is poorly served in all the movies they have her in. She's never in any danger (thus boring) and her character has no arc. She's window dressing. She gets to pose and do sexy kung fu to show off her figure.

I agree that Wonder Woman is a chance to do a female character as a real character. With depth, an arc, at risk, etc.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
themilo504 said:
Kite [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(film)] is a movie involving a girl who has her parents murdered and then is sexually abused by two corrupt cops and forced to become a child assassin who's signature is sub-dermal exploding bullets

America doesn't have a good track record of adapting Japanese horror to the American market so how are they going to do anything with a concept and OVA which is full of Japanese cultural quirks.

Christ, why does Hollywood want to try to adapt Japanese media when I have a feeling most directors don't have enough of experience with anime or Japanese culture to do it justice.
now that I know what kite is I have to ask why the hell people try to make a movie based on it.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Lucane said:
themilo504 said:
Wait how the hell do you plagiarize a apology?
also what?s kite?
He worte part of a script for something and was caught plagiarizing from Ghost World's Cartoonist Daniel Clowes and then plagiarized part of the apology, and was caught again.

http://gawker.com/shia-labeouf-fucks-up-gets-caught-plagiarizing-again-1484814448
Wow that?s taking failure to a new level, all we need now to complete this story is for him to plagiarize his apology for his plagiarized apology

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
HBaskerville said:
tzimize said:
Black Widow is not great. She is poorly served in all the movies they have her in. She's never in any danger (thus boring) and her character has no arc. She's window dressing. She gets to pose and do sexy kung fu to show off her figure.

I agree that Wonder Woman is a chance to do a female character as a real character. With depth, an arc, at risk, etc.
While I can agree that she is not a fantastic character I absolutely do not want to agree she is a poor one. Window dressing? Sure, but you cant look like ms. Johansson and not be that by default. However she is also a strong woman, that doesnt end up as a damsel in distress in any sort of way. She is pivotal in the closing of the gate in the avengers and she has constantly important places to be and stuff to do in the movies she is in.

The thing is, she is the polar opposite of Tony Stark, he is ALL about the flash and bang, Black Widow is a player behind the scenes, and she has some decent scenes with Hawkeye in Avengers as well. Also, she is probably the one that is most in danger. She was very nearly smashed by the hulk and her portrayal of fear both the first time she meets him and when they fall is a couple of my favorite moments in a movie PACKED with awesome moments. Also, she totally played Loki, which was brilliant.

Poorly served? I think she's just yummy :3

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
themilo504 said:

From what I've picked up its about a corrupt cop who uses a brainwashed teenage girl as an assassin, and uses her as a sex slave too. Its picked up a pretty heavy reputation among anime fans. Not quite Urotsukidoji, but still pretty nasty. (not seen it (or Urotsukidoji) myself, all I can tell you is pretty much secondhand through articles, reviews and sage's anime abandon on it).

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I STILL can't download this episode on my phone. I can download every other episode fine, but this one keeps reloading the page. Can someone at the Escapist PLEASE see what is going on with this video? This is the second time I've brought this up, and I don't like paying 20 bucks to be able to download videos and then have them not download.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
If they make Denzel Washington John Stewart... I predict a huge upswing in John's Popularity (and he's already pretty darn popular for those who read green lantern comics)

That being said, I've always been more of a Guy Gardner fan myself.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Bob, Happy New Year! Hope you feel better soon!

I love these little junk drawer episodes. I always think most of them can get to a full episode with some background on the subject as filler (but I understand that might take away from the overall quality / punch of any given piece.) I'm always fascinated to learn the backstories or even the historical minutiae that you know or can find out.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
themilo504 said:
Izanagi009 said:
themilo504 said:

now that I know what kite is I have to ask why the hell people try to make a movie based on it.
To which I refer to my last sentence, Hollywood does not know crap about Japanese media culture and I don't think even Guillermo del Toro, a big anime and mecha fan, could actually get the culture behind it because it's more societal and traditional culture rather than political and media culture (you want an example: Yamato Nadeshko [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YamatoNadeshiko] is a trope less known to people as it's an ideal seated in old Japanese tradition while Tsundere [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere] is much more public to overseas people and is actually more popular overseas)

As for why, simple: blood, sex, violence, and a "hit-girl" character combined in a story with an "exotic" quality combined with catharsis as wicked people get their dues and some. Think a more bloody and vindictive version of Kick-Ass with much more mental damage.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bob, you make a compelling argument for casting the Rock as Lex Luther. I kinda like the idea.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Regarding the Rock as Lex. NO. Not because I don't find your idea intriguing, but because, business man or scientist, Lex is largely defined by his intelligence.

Intelligence, to me, is sort of the holy grail of acting. More so than crying or laughing on cue, very very few actors can pull off appearing highly intelligent or educated when they themselves aren't. That isn't to say the Rock is dumb, he is actually a smart guy from everything I have seen. I just don't think he has the chops to pull off super intelligent.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
If I had to guess about the hubbub over Wolf of Wall Street, it's probably that folks feel that the film didn't go far enough in pounding the message that this is a cautionary tale.

I can only surmise this because, apparently, the people most in need of heeding this wisdom did not catch the point at all. [http://www.businessinsider.com/banker-pros-cheer-wolf-of-wall-street-2013-12]

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
"Two Broke Girls"

Is that the name of that show? I just assumed it was "The New adventures of Kat Dennings' missing top buttons."

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
The Rock as Lex Luthor?

Yes,
YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

That would be the only way to get me in to see the next man of steel after wasting my money and time watching the first one.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Hmm

Wolf/broke girls: If you wonder why social activists have trouble getting traction, it is in stupidity like this. Yeah, it's an unfair stereotype, but wen people assume the use of something is a pass on the behavior, or can't help but call the network at the sign of something they don't like, it's hard for more legitimate complaints to get traction.

Live Kite: Seriously, do any of these live action animes do that well that they keep trying.

Shia: while I make no claim that everything he did wasn't the act of a moron, I just can't help but wonder if the online glee behind watching it spiral comes from the original plagerized film was a shot at internet critics.

Family Guy, yeah other shows like Battlestar Galactica did this fake out better.

The Rock as Lex: great choice, but the pitch leaves me wondering why I would be rooting for Superman. I mean, I've read some of the comics of that Luther incarnation (in which he did start from next to nothing), and while it's always attached to rationalizing less than legal activities, there is a strong sense of sensitivity in someone whose efforts are ignored due to the actions of another that had to work or give up far less.

Also to the people looking to Denzel as John Stewart: you do realize Denzel's pushing 60? Hollywood can take years off, and he's in better shape than most, but that's a lot of work.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I had the same exact reaction.

"WHHHYYY?!?!?!"

I remember watching the original, uncut, and being wholly unprepared for some of those scenes. Seeing it in live action...brrr....

What's next, Mezzo Forte, with sex/rape scenes that end up being actual nightmares, therefore also unnecessary?

I dunno why, but these seem like snuff-flim versions of a Luc Besson piece.

immortalfrieza

Legacy
May 2, 2020
Country
USA
Zachary Amaranth said:
I have no idea what's up with Shia, but it seems DC is hell-bent on making a Justice League movie even if they have to forgo all buildup.
I have to ask, why does the Justice League movie (or the Avengers one for that matter) even NEED buildup? I mean, the Justice League cartoon was excellent and it had precisely ZERO buildup. It was just "a world threatening menace appears and a bunch of heroes get together to stop it". Batman and Superman were the only members of the team that had anything resembling a previous history or established personality, and neither was particularly relevant to the plots of the show. All the Justice League movie needs is a decent scriptwriter above anything, it doesn't need a bunch of movies establishing the persona of each hero first to work.

Oh, and Bob? Did you actually say that the incredibly cliched even for his time mad scientist Luthor was more interesting than the corrupt businessman Luthor? I don't even know how such a opinion could have come into existence.

crotchdot

Jun 11, 2010
Waiting for the DVD of the current season of Family Guy I had every second website on the net spoil Brian's death for me before I've had a chance to watch it. Now I've had his resurrection spoiled as well.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Mr. Q said:
Brian's back? Yeah, that was quick but I haven't really been into Family Guy that much. Especially after seeing the one episode where Meg vents her frustrations towards her family and their cruelty but decides to be their punching bag after seeing that, without her, they degenerate into total pieces of shit.

Yeah.

Maybe I got the message wrong on that episode but, still...

Seth MacFarlane, when you promote a message like that, whether its intended to be funny or not, me thinks its time to quit this shit show and find something better to do with your fucking time.
I actually really liked that episode (Until the end), and to me, it seemed almost fourth wall breaking. Not just indicting the fictional Griffins as scummy, abusive parents, and a terrible family, but the writing that created it, and the general shittiness of "Haha, Meg's ugly" "Haha, no-one cares about Meg" "Haha, isn't it funny watching a deranged man-child abuse his daughter". Their little "Eight is enough" sketch is basically how the show treats Meg most of the time. Apparently that would shock the Griffins, and by extension, is meant to be funny because it's a stupid and offensive premise for a sitcom. Except Family Guy already does it. I was loving it when Meg tore each smug twerp a new one. That dialogue was incredible.

And then at the end, they decide to go back to the status quo. I'm sure the defense is "Oh, but she's all heroic and self-sacrificing", but when they clearly lay out how the one joke here is "Isn't abuse funny?" and tear that apart, and then go straight back to that, that's a complete lack of balls. Hell, Meg's rants were the first comedic and dramatic payoff for seasons of unfunny "Haha, ugly girls are worthless" commentary. Fuck you Seth McFarlane. Misogynistic, stupid, abuse promoting twerp. You may have seen some people's boobs, but no-one will ever see your balls.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor? Can we swing it?

Maybe find some way to get Peter Weller and Jeff Goldblum in as well...Buckaroo Banzai gettin' the band back together!

I remember reading a lot of silver age Green Lanterns, a lot from the 80s and early 90s where Jon Stewart was just starting his run, and I would love to see him in the movie. I'd like Chewitel Ejiofor or Idris Elba instead of Denzel, though.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Leonardo Huizar said:

I just think of him as THE Green Lantern, since the DCAU constitutes the majority of my experience with all of the characters in it. This also applies to Lex Luthor being a businessman rather than a mad scientist and the joker being played by Mark Hamill.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
I have to ask, why does the Justice League movie (or the Avengers one for that matter) even NEED buildup?
Have you considered asking them? They're the ones who feel the need to ape the Avengers with a project they've been trying to get off the ground since well before the MCU was even a thing.

All the Justice League movie needs is a decent scriptwriter above anything,
Already, you're asking too much.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
crotchdot said:
Waiting for the DVD of the current season of Family Guy I had every second website on the net spoil Brian's death for me before I've had a chance to watch it. Now I've had his resurrection spoiled as well.
I'm frankly surprised you lasted this long.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
That picture of the Rock always makes me think he should be Bane. Not Dark Knight Rises Jock Strap Face Bane, but Venom filled titan Bane. Would work too in that Dwayne knows all the moves and characteristics of a wrestler.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
themilo504 said:

Kind of a shame that they didn?t really kill off brian, but alas the god of status quo had to be appeased.

Man of steel 2 is starting to sound less and like a movie in its own right and more like a prequel to a justice league movie.
I'm not sure it is even a prequel, with Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman, not to mention possible appearances from Nightwing, Flash and Green Lantern, this may well turn out to be a full blown Justice League film.

I will say however that Bob did sell me on the idea of the Rock as Lex Luthor, or at least, someone with a similar physique to the Rock, I am not sure that he has the acting talent himself to pull off the role.

XavierPrice

Sep 14, 2009
I'm going to say it. I'd like to see more of what you'd like to see in the Man of Steel sequel. Predictions, wild speculations, unlikely hopes, so on. I think that would make for a great Big Picture.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Huh. I guess there's a lot of crap surrounding American TV then? I'm surprised that anyone still watches CBS, ABC, and NBC. The thing that people seem to forget is that the greatest form of censorship is to change the channel to something one would want to watch. British TV has shown it is superior to current American TV, at least for me.

Also, totes go with Mogo, the best Green Lantern of them all.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
TallanKhan said:
themilo504 said:

I'm not sure it is even a prequel, with Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman, not to mention possible appearances from Nightwing, Flash and Green Lantern, this may well turn out to be a full blown Justice League film.

I will say however that Bob did sell me on the idea of the Rock as Lex Luthor, or at least, someone with a similar physique to the Rock, I am not sure that he has the acting talent himself to pull off the role.
They'll do Justice League as a Superman focused Man of Steel 2, Superman as the protagonist, and then release preqúels films in the Batman Begins/Man of Steel style for all the other heroes with flashbacks and stuff, releasing the more popular ones first, effectively in a reverse fashion from The Avengers so they won't get accused of copying it.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
But really, let's be honest. Endless sequences of Superpunching, ARE the only reason to make a Superman movie.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
While I don't like Man of Steel either, movies with endless scenes of Superman superpunching will always win out over movies with Superman creepily staring at Lois and his illegitimate kid then getting stabbed by Kumar.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Earthfield said:
There really is just no other way to react to nuggets like that. I hadn't heard anything about any of those events, so I had to pause the clip for a good minute while laughing hysterically.

Redd the Sock said:
Also to the people looking to Denzel as John Stewart: you do realize Denzel's pushing 60? Hollywood can take years off, and he's in better shape than most, but that's a lot of work.
Well, -somebody- is going to have to challenge Sean Connery for bragging rights of "oldest guy still kicking ass". Consider this warm-up.[footnote]I know Connery is retired now, hmmkaaay? =)[/footnote]

Grim Shadows

Aug 5, 2010
HBaskerville said:
I'd like to see Idris Elba as Lex Luthor. Seeing as Marvel continues to absolutely nothing interesting with him as Heimdahl, I say let DC have a crack at him. He's a great mix of class, smarts and badass.

The Rock would be great, too. Everything is better with The Rock.

I don't know about Lex Luthor but I think Idris Elba would be good as The Green Lantern.