\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Izanagi009 said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I'm sorry, but the rape scene in both versions of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was enough for me. I'd prefer not to see where a Kite adaptation takes that >.>
Yeah, and it would be hard enough to adapt a 45 minute OVA (60 if you count the hentai scenes) that fetures exploding bullets, corrupt cops, rape, and the main concept of child assassins. Seriously, I get that Samuel L. Jackson is in it and he probably actually watched Kite or at least knows about anime so he can help make the movie an american cultural adaptation of what is probably a concept with a lot of Japanese foreign concepts but unless they aim for an extreme violence and grit audience, it will just seem like a pale shadow of the original (seriously, the hand has a hole the size of the palm and the blood is minimal, I doubt they will do the rape of Sawa or any of the other infamous scenes). Seriously, the only way to have a worse project would be to do a trilogy of Kill La Kill movies (despite the pandering, there is a bit of brain and cultural symbolism behind each character and I bet that the glove will cause cry of rage since it's can be loosely related to suicide which does not has much of a stigma in Japan).
I agree, Kill la Kill is far to steeped in cultural nuances to ever be adapted by another country, imo. It would lose everything that makes the show interesting (aside the art style/action sequences) if they were to overlook all of its counter-culture aspects. I mean, I don't consider myself an expert on Japan's cultural climate, but I know enough to understand the point(s) the show is trying to make.

Then again, if they were to take those themes and simply broaden them I could see it working. I think everyone in the world can relate to the concept of society vs. the individual.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
If DC is talking to the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson about filling a comic character role, safe money is on a very small handful of potential characters.

Safest bet = Lobo, yeah as soon as you see it in your mind you cannot unsee it. Someone at WB would easily see this as a great idea. Which in some ways it might be. The Lobo character basically operates on about the same level, mentality and target audience as professional wrestling as it is.

Less safe but interesting bets. If they are planning on using him in the Batman Superman movie, ie Justice League lead in?

- As a hero?
Hawkman. He has the perfect build and demeanor for Katar Hol. Scorpion King with wings. Anger management issues. Looks good holding assorted medieval melee weapons. Not a bad option.

- As a villain?
I'd go with Metallo or Parasite. I really don't think he can credibly pull off the "genius" portion of Lex Luthor as an evil genius. He probably is a smart man. But he doesn't cary it across as part of his character persona. Plus I don't think he is well used as a Megalomaniac type. So no Luthor or Braniac. However he would be dead on perfect for a Kryptonite powered Terminator.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Fappy said:
Izanagi009 said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I'm sorry, but the rape scene in both versions of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was enough for me. I'd prefer not to see where a Kite adaptation takes that >.>
Yeah, and it would be hard enough to adapt a 45 minute OVA (60 if you count the hentai scenes) that fetures exploding bullets, corrupt cops, rape, and the main concept of child assassins. Seriously, I get that Samuel L. Jackson is in it and he probably actually watched Kite or at least knows about anime so he can help make the movie an american cultural adaptation of what is probably a concept with a lot of Japanese foreign concepts but unless they aim for an extreme violence and grit audience, it will just seem like a pale shadow of the original (seriously, the hand has a hole the size of the palm and the blood is minimal, I doubt they will do the rape of Sawa or any of the other infamous scenes). Seriously, the only way to have a worse project would be to do a trilogy of Kill La Kill movies (despite the pandering, there is a bit of brain and cultural symbolism behind each character and I bet that the glove will cause cry of rage since it's can be loosely related to suicide which does not has much of a stigma in Japan).
I agree, Kill la Kill is far to steeped in cultural nuances to ever be adapted by another country, imo. It would lose everything that makes the show interesting (aside the art style/action sequences) if they were to overlook all of its counter-culture aspects. I mean, I don't consider myself an expert on Japan's cultural climate, but I know enough to understand the point(s) the show is trying to make.

Then again, if they were to take those themes and simply broaden them I could see it working. I think everyone in the world can relate to the concept of society vs. the individual.
Minus the blood-drinking snarky sailor fuku, word puns, hammy acting (seriously, i'm not sure how they could do Gamagori), or the soundtrack. Also, I think the whole thing with Revocs would be lost in America which has a different view on business interactions then Japan (which I argue is more aggressive and interconnected)

And given the general fanservice content in it, if they go the route of having scenes with Senketsu or Junketsu, we will have a massive outrage from the right and an equally violent defense from the left (the oddity of the U.S., we love sex and sexuality but we really do hold back compared to other countries, (one time in Rome, there was an advertisement for a BDSM shop in the middle of a busy pedestrian street, not tucked away or anything. I laughed thinking about how we are so loud with our magazines and the like with sex but with no fury or backing behind it))

vid87

May 17, 2010
Did not hear about Denzel Washington being in talks with DC, but I will say this:

Get him as Lex Luthor and my ass will be in that theater seat.

Get him as John Stewart and my ass will be in that theater seat OPENING NIGHT.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Bob, you didn't know? Dwayne Johnson has been in talks to play Black Adam in a live action version of Captain Marvel/Shazam!

And personally, I say "Hell the f*ck yeah!".

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
faefrost said:
If DC is talking to the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson about filling a comic character role, safe money is on a very small handful of potential characters.

Safest bet = Lobo, yeah as soon as you see it in your mind you cannot unsee it. Someone at WB would easily see this as a great idea. Which in some ways it might be. The Lobo character basically operates on about the same level, mentality and target audience as professional wrestling as it is.

Less safe but interesting bets. If they are planning on using him in the Batman Superman movie, ie Justice League lead in?

- As a hero?
Hawkman. He has the perfect build and demeanor for Katar Hol. Scorpion King with wings. Anger management issues. Looks good holding assorted medieval melee weapons. Not a bad option.

- As a villain?
I'd go with Metallo or Parasite. I really don't think he can credibly pull off the "genius" portion of Lex Luthor as an evil genius. He probably is a smart man. But he doesn't cary it across as part of his character persona. Plus I don't think he is well used as a Megalomaniac type. So no Luthor or Braniac. However he would be dead on perfect for a Kryptonite powered Terminator.
He's in talks to be Black Adam from Captain Marvel/Shazam, last time I checked.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I know right? They'll never get the correct sort of schlongs and what's with the wig? Saya didn't have red hair last time I checked. Geez, if ya gonna it, at least do it right. :p

At least the gun lunchbox case thing was cool. I want one.

More seriously though, why would people even agree to be part of Kite: The Live Adaptation?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Terratina. said:
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I know right? They'll never get the correct sort of schlongs and what's with the wig? Saya didn't have red hair last time I checked. Geez, if ya gonna it, at least do it right. :p

At least the gun lunchbox case thing was cool. I want one.

More seriously though, why would people even agree to be part of Kite: The Live Adaptation?
Speak for yourself, Terra! I personally wouldn't mind having a creepy, wall-mounted statue of GOOFY staring at me while... okay, I can't finish that train of thought.

The scars Kite has left on my psyche are indescribable XD

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Fappy said:
No, there's no need for flashbacks, no don't. No... That face... it haunts me... T^T

Yeah, same here. At least we can cry together. *sniff*

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Terratina. said:
Fappy said:
No, there's no need for flashbacks, no don't. No... That face... it haunts me...

Yeah, same here. At least we can cry together. *sniff*
I'm sorry I subjected you to such brain torture. I couldn't watch it alone, after all >.<

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Fappy said:
I'm sorry I subjected you to such brain torture. I couldn't watch it alone, after all >.<
FAPPEH!

They don't need to know that. Go away internet people! Nothing to see here. >.>

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I love these Junk drawer episodes; so full of bite-size facts and trivia. I knew about Chip & Dale's fashion inspiration, but not about Tom Sellick being the first choice over Harrison Ford. Kind of like how Kurt Russel was originally going to be Han Solo!

As for Brian dying, Family Guy did the impossible to make me care about Brian, well after he turned into the uber-liberal Soapbox Sadie (OMG! TVTrope!) played too straight to be satirical. Basically, their show's Lisa Simpson. Still looking forward to their crossover episode. Speaking of Simpsons...

Last Sunday's episode proved Marge is an even bigger dork than Ned Flanders, so Bob, you may have to replace your image of "easily morally outraged dork" in future videos.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That reaction to Mr. Unrelateable Transformers Character's Actor. Brian Griffin's death was, as you said, never going to be permanent. It was too obvious.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Oh man. Now don?t get me wrong: I love Harrison Ford. Or, loved, I guess. He doesn?t seem to do all that much of note these days. But if we ever get to do some alternate-reality media swapping I HAVE to see Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones in said Indiana Jones movies and Wesley Snipes as Geordi in Star Trek TNG. We may give heterosexual masculinity some shit these days, but those dudes made manliness look good.

2 Broke Girls has the distinction of being the only thing dull enough to make staring at Kat Dennings not worth my time. If that letter writing campaign means that the writers can no longer pretend that clumsily set up references to sex constitute jokes, I say more power to ?em.

I don't buy any superhero, male or female, who weighs less than 130 pounds. No elves, no tiny Wonder Woman, no Black Widow, and no goddamn Hit Girl.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
God I hope they pull of wonder woman....I actually hope that more than that Man of Steel will finally be something I want to see more of. A real female super hero would be awesome. Black widow is great and everything but she's not super.

schwegburt

Jan 5, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
themilo504 said:
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?
Kite was an OVA from the 90s that sort of acted like a prototype for the later OVA and anime series Mezzo Forte. Not the same franchise, but the same creators. Here's an internet critic giving a more in depth analysis/play it up for yuks.
http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-kite-5956115
That critic made me want to shiv my ear drums. He's not Movie-Bob complaining about salient details in an amusing and succinct manner. He's the nerd bitching a lot without saying anything meaningful while annoying the fuck out of whoever's unfortunate enough to listen.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Fappy said:
Terratina. said:
FAPPEH!

They don't need to know that. Go away internet people! Nothing to see here. >.>
Just to let you know, in about 8 years I'll have completed my training as a psychiatrist, and will be able to help you......
-_- Yes, I know...
[https://imageshack.com/i/5gimagescaiut7x7j]
Sorry.

But, until then, I can try to distract you two with conversation.
Bob is right with the whole physical and mental complex of Lex. The Rock would be a good pick.
Bruce Kilkowski said:
I'm sold on the idea of Dwayne Johnson as Lex, especially the way Bob described it. But then again Bob did go on to say that Silver Age Lex was somehow better than the modern version... yeah, I think Bob needs to turn in his geek card for that one.
Hey now. He didn't say "better", he said "more interesting".

I kind of see what he's saying with that.
With the modern Lex, we kind of know what to expect. Where he gets the funding, what he's going to try and do.

It would be interesting to see how people would try and explain how the evil scientist super-villain version does what he does. Or how he would act.

That said, he probably wouldn't be more, "efficient" than the evil businessman version.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
I'd like to see Idris Elba as Lex Luthor. Seeing as Marvel continues to absolutely nothing interesting with him as Heimdahl, I say let DC have a crack at him. He's a great mix of class, smarts and badass.

The Rock would be great, too. Everything is better with The Rock.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
tzimize said:
God I hope they pull of wonder woman....I actually hope that more than that Man of Steel will finally be something I want to see more of. A real female super hero would be awesome. Black widow is great and everything but she's not super.
Black Widow is not great. She is poorly served in all the movies they have her in. She's never in any danger (thus boring) and her character has no arc. She's window dressing. She gets to pose and do sexy kung fu to show off her figure.

I agree that Wonder Woman is a chance to do a female character as a real character. With depth, an arc, at risk, etc.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
themilo504 said:
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?
Kite [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(film)] is a movie involving a girl who has her parents murdered and then is sexually abused by two corrupt cops and forced to become a child assassin who's signature is sub-dermal exploding bullets

America doesn't have a good track record of adapting Japanese horror to the American market so how are they going to do anything with a concept and OVA which is full of Japanese cultural quirks.

Christ, why does Hollywood want to try to adapt Japanese media when I have a feeling most directors don't have enough of experience with anime or Japanese culture to do it justice.
now that I know what kite is I have to ask why the hell people try to make a movie based on it.