The Big Picture: Junk Drawer 2014

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Lucane said:
themilo504 said:
Wait how the hell do you plagiarize a apology?
also what?s kite?
He worte part of a script for something and was caught plagiarizing from Ghost World's Cartoonist Daniel Clowes and then plagiarized part of the apology, and was caught again.

http://gawker.com/shia-labeouf-fucks-up-gets-caught-plagiarizing-again-1484814448
Wow that?s taking failure to a new level, all we need now to complete this story is for him to plagiarize his apology for his plagiarized apology

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
HBaskerville said:
tzimize said:
God I hope they pull of wonder woman....I actually hope that more than that Man of Steel will finally be something I want to see more of. A real female super hero would be awesome. Black widow is great and everything but she's not super.
Black Widow is not great. She is poorly served in all the movies they have her in. She's never in any danger (thus boring) and her character has no arc. She's window dressing. She gets to pose and do sexy kung fu to show off her figure.

I agree that Wonder Woman is a chance to do a female character as a real character. With depth, an arc, at risk, etc.
While I can agree that she is not a fantastic character I absolutely do not want to agree she is a poor one. Window dressing? Sure, but you cant look like ms. Johansson and not be that by default. However she is also a strong woman, that doesnt end up as a damsel in distress in any sort of way. She is pivotal in the closing of the gate in the avengers and she has constantly important places to be and stuff to do in the movies she is in.

The thing is, she is the polar opposite of Tony Stark, he is ALL about the flash and bang, Black Widow is a player behind the scenes, and she has some decent scenes with Hawkeye in Avengers as well. Also, she is probably the one that is most in danger. She was very nearly smashed by the hulk and her portrayal of fear both the first time she meets him and when they fall is a couple of my favorite moments in a movie PACKED with awesome moments. Also, she totally played Loki, which was brilliant.

Poorly served? I think she's just yummy :3

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
themilo504 said:
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?

How the hell do you even plagiarize a apology.
From what I've picked up its about a corrupt cop who uses a brainwashed teenage girl as an assassin, and uses her as a sex slave too. Its picked up a pretty heavy reputation among anime fans. Not quite Urotsukidoji, but still pretty nasty. (not seen it (or Urotsukidoji) myself, all I can tell you is pretty much secondhand through articles, reviews and sage's anime abandon on it).

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I STILL can't download this episode on my phone. I can download every other episode fine, but this one keeps reloading the page. Can someone at the Escapist PLEASE see what is going on with this video? This is the second time I've brought this up, and I don't like paying 20 bucks to be able to download videos and then have them not download.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
If they make Denzel Washington John Stewart... I predict a huge upswing in John's Popularity (and he's already pretty darn popular for those who read green lantern comics)

That being said, I've always been more of a Guy Gardner fan myself.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Bob, Happy New Year! Hope you feel better soon!

I love these little junk drawer episodes. I always think most of them can get to a full episode with some background on the subject as filler (but I understand that might take away from the overall quality / punch of any given piece.) I'm always fascinated to learn the backstories or even the historical minutiae that you know or can find out.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
themilo504 said:
Izanagi009 said:
themilo504 said:
Um could somebody please tell me what kite is?
Kite [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(film)] is a movie involving a girl who has her parents murdered and then is sexually abused by two corrupt cops and forced to become a child assassin who's signature is sub-dermal exploding bullets

America doesn't have a good track record of adapting Japanese horror to the American market so how are they going to do anything with a concept and OVA which is full of Japanese cultural quirks.

Christ, why does Hollywood want to try to adapt Japanese media when I have a feeling most directors don't have enough of experience with anime or Japanese culture to do it justice.
now that I know what kite is I have to ask why the hell people try to make a movie based on it.
To which I refer to my last sentence, Hollywood does not know crap about Japanese media culture and I don't think even Guillermo del Toro, a big anime and mecha fan, could actually get the culture behind it because it's more societal and traditional culture rather than political and media culture (you want an example: Yamato Nadeshko [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YamatoNadeshiko] is a trope less known to people as it's an ideal seated in old Japanese tradition while Tsundere [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere] is much more public to overseas people and is actually more popular overseas)

As for why, simple: blood, sex, violence, and a "hit-girl" character combined in a story with an "exotic" quality combined with catharsis as wicked people get their dues and some. Think a more bloody and vindictive version of Kick-Ass with much more mental damage.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Regarding the Rock as Lex. NO. Not because I don't find your idea intriguing, but because, business man or scientist, Lex is largely defined by his intelligence.

Intelligence, to me, is sort of the holy grail of acting. More so than crying or laughing on cue, very very few actors can pull off appearing highly intelligent or educated when they themselves aren't. That isn't to say the Rock is dumb, he is actually a smart guy from everything I have seen. I just don't think he has the chops to pull off super intelligent.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
If I had to guess about the hubbub over Wolf of Wall Street, it's probably that folks feel that the film didn't go far enough in pounding the message that this is a cautionary tale.

I can only surmise this because, apparently, the people most in need of heeding this wisdom did not catch the point at all. [http://www.businessinsider.com/banker-pros-cheer-wolf-of-wall-street-2013-12]

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
"Two Broke Girls"

Is that the name of that show? I just assumed it was "The New adventures of Kat Dennings' missing top buttons."

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
The Rock as Lex Luthor?

Yes,
YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

That would be the only way to get me in to see the next man of steel after wasting my money and time watching the first one.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Hmm

Wolf/broke girls: If you wonder why social activists have trouble getting traction, it is in stupidity like this. Yeah, it's an unfair stereotype, but wen people assume the use of something is a pass on the behavior, or can't help but call the network at the sign of something they don't like, it's hard for more legitimate complaints to get traction.

Live Kite: Seriously, do any of these live action animes do that well that they keep trying.

Shia: while I make no claim that everything he did wasn't the act of a moron, I just can't help but wonder if the online glee behind watching it spiral comes from the original plagerized film was a shot at internet critics.

Family Guy, yeah other shows like Battlestar Galactica did this fake out better.

The Rock as Lex: great choice, but the pitch leaves me wondering why I would be rooting for Superman. I mean, I've read some of the comics of that Luther incarnation (in which he did start from next to nothing), and while it's always attached to rationalizing less than legal activities, there is a strong sense of sensitivity in someone whose efforts are ignored due to the actions of another that had to work or give up far less.

Also to the people looking to Denzel as John Stewart: you do realize Denzel's pushing 60? Hollywood can take years off, and he's in better shape than most, but that's a lot of work.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Fappy said:
Live-action Kite. Why?

WHY!?

I'm sorry, but the rape scene in both versions of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was enough for me. I'd prefer not to see where a Kite adaptation takes that >.>
I had the same exact reaction.

"WHHHYYY?!?!?!"

I remember watching the original, uncut, and being wholly unprepared for some of those scenes. Seeing it in live action...brrr....

What's next, Mezzo Forte, with sex/rape scenes that end up being actual nightmares, therefore also unnecessary?

I dunno why, but these seem like snuff-flim versions of a Luc Besson piece.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Zachary Amaranth said:
I have no idea what's up with Shia, but it seems DC is hell-bent on making a Justice League movie even if they have to forgo all buildup.
I have to ask, why does the Justice League movie (or the Avengers one for that matter) even NEED buildup? I mean, the Justice League cartoon was excellent and it had precisely ZERO buildup. It was just "a world threatening menace appears and a bunch of heroes get together to stop it". Batman and Superman were the only members of the team that had anything resembling a previous history or established personality, and neither was particularly relevant to the plots of the show. All the Justice League movie needs is a decent scriptwriter above anything, it doesn't need a bunch of movies establishing the persona of each hero first to work.

Oh, and Bob? Did you actually say that the incredibly cliched even for his time mad scientist Luthor was more interesting than the corrupt businessman Luthor? I don't even know how such a opinion could have come into existence.

crotchdot

Jun 11, 2010
Waiting for the DVD of the current season of Family Guy I had every second website on the net spoil Brian's death for me before I've had a chance to watch it. Now I've had his resurrection spoiled as well.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Mr. Q said:
Brian's back? Yeah, that was quick but I haven't really been into Family Guy that much. Especially after seeing the one episode where Meg vents her frustrations towards her family and their cruelty but decides to be their punching bag after seeing that, without her, they degenerate into total pieces of shit.

Yeah.

Maybe I got the message wrong on that episode but, still...

Seth MacFarlane, when you promote a message like that, whether its intended to be funny or not, me thinks its time to quit this shit show and find something better to do with your fucking time.
I actually really liked that episode (Until the end), and to me, it seemed almost fourth wall breaking. Not just indicting the fictional Griffins as scummy, abusive parents, and a terrible family, but the writing that created it, and the general shittiness of "Haha, Meg's ugly" "Haha, no-one cares about Meg" "Haha, isn't it funny watching a deranged man-child abuse his daughter". Their little "Eight is enough" sketch is basically how the show treats Meg most of the time. Apparently that would shock the Griffins, and by extension, is meant to be funny because it's a stupid and offensive premise for a sitcom. Except Family Guy already does it. I was loving it when Meg tore each smug twerp a new one. That dialogue was incredible.

And then at the end, they decide to go back to the status quo. I'm sure the defense is "Oh, but she's all heroic and self-sacrificing", but when they clearly lay out how the one joke here is "Isn't abuse funny?" and tear that apart, and then go straight back to that, that's a complete lack of balls. Hell, Meg's rants were the first comedic and dramatic payoff for seasons of unfunny "Haha, ugly girls are worthless" commentary. Fuck you Seth McFarlane. Misogynistic, stupid, abuse promoting twerp. You may have seen some people's boobs, but no-one will ever see your balls.