The Big Picture: Junk Drawer: Game On

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
So wait, Bob thinks Vita is going to flop....?
I was under the impression it was going to out do EVERYTHING the 3DS does (besides 3d obviously)
What gives? Am I missing something? Was there like an announcement somewhere that puts Nintendo comfortably above the Vita?
Last I heard, it costed the same, had nearly ps3 graphics and tons of third party support....
So again I say "what?"
You mean kinda like how the PSP was going to out do EVERYTHING the DS did (besides the touch screen, obviously)? Yeah, I think we've been down this road before.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
I was under the impression it was going to out do EVERYTHING the 3DS does (besides 3d obviously)
What gives? Am I missing something? Was there like an announcement somewhere that puts Nintendo comfortably above the Vita?
Last I heard, it costed the same, had nearly ps3 graphics and tons of third party support....
So again I say "what?"
I'm not saying the Vita won't do better than the 3DS, but a lot of the reasons you state are similar in way to the reasons people thought the PSP was going to be great competition for the DS.

In that time:

People said, "the graphics will be better than the DS and it will be good old fashion controls, none of that touch screen "awkwardness" trying to control the game with regular controls while using a touch pen as well. The PSP's graphics are already seen to out shine the DS, plus you will be able to download music, pictures, and movies to your PSP and even surf the internet with a wireless connection. Oh and the games, it will have so many great games."

Now looking back, the PSP didn't do very well. It really just sat there in the shadow of the DS, while it was told to lick the DS's boots. It ended up with a library with only a handful of note worthy games. The internet browsing was a hosed up mess, and putting videos on it was a nightmare because they had to be specially converted to a proper form and even then it didn't always work.

The only reason I have a PSP is because I won one in a free college poker tournament, I never would have got one in my own time with my own money. It got more use from me as a giant and awkward MP3 player than a gaming device. I only have three games for it, two I just bought only because they were really cheap(Final Fantasy 1 and 2, 20 bucks together, though ten because I used a credit), though I haven't been able to play them, because I didn't count on how much I really didn't care for the thing, and it seems to be lost and I can't find it.

The point is the PSP was held up to be the great competition against Nintendo's hold on the handheld market, but it turned out to be a bust in that respect.

So far the story concerning PS VITA vs. the 3DS, is matching up perfectly compared to the war between the PSP and the DS. I wouldn't look for a winner or even a point to say there is competition until the VITA has come out and has had about 6 months to a year behind it.

Just to add one final tac-point on what you said, graphics really don't have any part in the success of a system, not as much as some people think. The biggest obstacle for the VITA will be gameplay, shiny graphics will mean nothing if the controls and the time playing the games feels like poo. Lastly on that, I also remember when people claimed that the graphics of the PS3 being a tiny bit better was going to destroy the 360 and most people would jump ship to the PS3. Another prediction that didn't hold water, though at least for Sony fans, the PS3 didn't go the way of the PSP.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
daxterx2005 said:
So again I say "what?"
You mean kinda like how the PSP was going to out do EVERYTHING the DS did (besides the touch screen, obviously)? Yeah, I think we've been down this road before.
Arrrgh, you ninja!!! =P

While I wrote out a well thought out and long response to what "daxterx2005" said, unknowingly taking 21 minutes for me to do it, you come along at the same time and say the same thing in two sentences.

I guess I covered the explanation while you covered the whimsy obvious "long story short" response.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Yeah, I don't really understand why Japan would post that poster of Ivy showing off her breasts. I've got no problem with it, well.. I sort of do, because it doesn't tell me anything about the game other then that there's a very sexually appealing character that wants my attention (as in to play the game to see her in action- oh wow that turned out wrong..)
Well what I think Movie Bob and maybe even you(edit: Though now looking at it, you might have been using some sarcasm in your post) seem to be ignoring, is all the past "practically everything" in Japan entertainment media that comes out over there.

The Japanese for the most part don't look at sex, sexism, and sex appeal in ads and entertainment as such in the same way as people elsewhere do.

The story would be different here in the US and elsewhere, as such matters in ads and entertainment have always been held, for the most part, with a careful touch to consider the, in truth, "up-tightness" of the US and other countries considering sexual themes.

From what I have seen of Japan, it seems that sex pretty much sells almost everything there.

So for me, it just seems odd to me that Movie Bob mentioned that poster, when clearly and even he pointed out when translating the Japanese text, it is from Japan. If he is going to pick a point on sexism in games or in game ads, and he wants to pick a Japanese one, he's going to have to bring up the Japanese entertainment culture in general. The reason I say this being that sexist and or sex related ads in Japan are as common and prevalent as car insurance and fast food ads, put together, on television here in the US.

My point being, if he doesn't want ads like that to occur in Japan, he would pretty much have to travel to Japan and try to convince them to change a major portion of their culture.

As I said, it would be different if it was a western ad. In this matter, at least with Japan in the picture, Movie Bob is tilting at windmills.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
Why is it that the movie guy on this site has more interesting (and smarter) things to say on games than Yahtzee.

razing32

Feb 3, 2010
Before I forget , look up the iControlPad. No , I am not an ad I am a human being. The device is made by the same people who made the OpenPandora. Same control scheme. But it is wireless bluetooth and it encapsulates your phone/pad.
YT user Ashens made a review of it a while back.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Dastardly said:
but have we seen an incarnation that appears to go beyond the age of, say, 19?

It could be interesting. An older Link, perhaps with a family... a Link who has something to lose. I dunno, it's got me curious.
Send this to Nintendo ASAP!!!
I have you covered *reloads*

On Topic:
Yeah I really liked this new Zelda game.
The story was pretty good and loved the way the wii-mote worked, this time I can't actually understand people who complain about the motion controlls.
AND even the graphics, at first I was like *OMG IT HURTS MY EEEYEEEEESSSSS!!!!* but after a few hours of gameplay you actually get used to it.
Sex and sexism, let's see how that changes in the gaming industry, I think we'll have to wait a while before anything radical happens in the whole industry.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I forgot said:
Why is it that the movie guy on this site has more interesting (and smarter) things to say on games than Yahtzee.
Because Yahtzee is entertaining via comedy, where Big Picture is just kinda whatever MovieBob wants it to be. Sometimes it's about comics, sometimes it's about gaming, sometimes it's neither here nor there. Honestly not sure at what point people thought that Yahtzee was ever meant to be a serious reviewer.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
While mobile touch screen devices offer many new great possibilities for new games, I'd still liek to play classics on them and I'm really missing some buttons on my cell phone. I wouldn't really mind if it was a little bit larger so those would fit in.

Touchs screens make completely new concepts possible but I'd still like to be able to play a jump&run or a RPG without feeling like I can always only do one thing at once.

Chris Sutherland

Apr 3, 2010
Lords of Shadow was really good. If the games were to stick to formula, they would get pretty stale; the last few Metroidvania games, while good, have been pretty much repeats of each other. I know I like variation in my games, and Castlevania is no exception.

My main flaw with the game was, in fact, the final boss. Like with most action adventure games, you've been fighting progressively harder and harder enemies, to the point where the boss of the level previous took me about 4 attempts, and then this guy comes along and I whack him down in one.

The way it ties in with the Castlevania plot at large isn't that great, but it works. It allows them to consider further options in a lot of different ways, and tell sides of the story that may not have been considered. Is that really your main reason for them not to make another one? I mean it's all well and good, opinion and all that, but if you enjoyed the game, is that one niggle enough to make you not want more?

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
To those shrugging the tit-poster of as 'that's just Japan', may I remind everyone of the Extra credit's Open letter to EA marketing, specifically the Dante's Inferno marketing?
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/an-open-letter-to-ea-marketing
Or Evony's online adds?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/6825-Evony-Irony

This isn't just a Japan-thing, even if we'd accept "It's a Japan-thing" as a valid excuse. And I don't see why you'd have to be a feminist or 'gay' to be upset about this. Techinically, you don't even have to care about what this kind of advertisement says about women, but what it says about you. "Here's an extreme closeup of two breasts, not showing anything else from the girl and certainly nothing from the actual game. We think this is the most effective way we can get you sexcrazed sad sacks interested in buying our game. We figure the actual gameplay or graphics don't matter." It certainly sends a bad message about women, but it's not too friendly to gamers either.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for talking about Skyward Sword. This is something I find REALLY commendable. Nintendo is generally playing their characters pretty close and that has lacked development. Sure, Mario's adventures to save Peach often include the surrogate reward of "cake" when its all done, but just like Zelda games we never see anything progress. At the end of every adventure, Link rescues Zelda and puts the world to right, but we never really see what happens between the two of them. Hell, in "A Link to the Past" we get the idea that, Link puts the Golden Master Sword back in its stone in the middle of the Lost Woods and...goes back to doing whatever he was doing prior to the adventure's start.

Amazingly, prior to Skyward Sword the most blatant romance in the Zelda series has... been the TV show. Yes, between the "EXcuuuuuuse me Princess!" Link's kind of a bumbling horndog trying to get a kiss now and then, with Zelda often playing the tsundere role but occasionally indulging him...only to have something interrupt the "moment".

Sure, there have been undertones of romance for Link (not always with Zelda - consider the Zora princess!), especially in the OOT/Majora titles, WindWaker, GBA/DS games, and Twilight Princess, but though I've not had the chance to play Skyward Sword yet I'm really happy about this development, from what I've seen in promo videos.

I really like that they're moving beyond "Kid Link" and spending time on the late-teens early 20s variety. In Twilight Princess (and I am assuming, Skyward Sword) you really get the impression that Link is considered more of a mature, if young, adult. I'd personally like to see it taken farther. Show a mid 30s Link where he's the Captain of the Hylian Knights, Prince of Hyrule or some such...maybe he has a few kids with Zelda? Hell, maybe he's married to someone ELSE (went home with Malon or Saria after the adventure was over) and the adventure deals with him deciding if he's made the right choice on his life path... given the choice between saving Zelda, as Queen of the realm or his wife and kids, which will he choose? What happens to the other? Should he save Zelda, is it possible for romance to rekindle? I'm aware these are heavy themes for a Nintendo title, but nothing that hasn't been experienced peripherally in say, Majora's Mask. Even without such controversy, I agree with the above poster who wants to see an older, more mature Link with something personal to lose that sets him on his quest.

In any event, I applaud Skyward Sword for showing some development in this regard rather than keeping all the themes at arms length.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
I... that Playstation Vita bit was immensely uncomfortable. I've no knowledge of Zelda, so I'll stay out on that, and I wholly agree on Soul Calibur's advertising but..

That really felt bad. It felt.. spiteful, basically, and worst didn't even make clear why - is it because of the supposed Nintendo fanboyism? Is it because of the system's price? Or is it just because the Vita's core appeal is to a seemingly different and somewhat niche crowd?

Either way.. it.. was uncomfortable, put a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the episode, and seemed really clumsy given it wasn't possible to interpret as anything but spite given I couldn't draw any further point or justification from it.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Okay, I'd definitely buy a(nother) Iphone if I could hook a gamepad up to it like that.

Edit: to clarify, I don't own an iphone, I had an Iphone 3 then switched to a HTC rather than getting an Iphone 4.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
The no button thing is the only reason I cant get into iphone games. Sometimes your just tired of a screen.

Also, Bob laughed at the Vita. What the hell man? I think his blind love of all things nintendo forces him to not acknowlege a good device when he sees it.
If Sony would stop creating overpriced proprietary memory formats, I (and Bob too, I imagine) would be more willing to get Vita a chance.

Sony COULD have had the Vita use SD Cards. Hell, they COULD have even allowed it to use the memory sticks that the PSP and Sony laptops use. But no, they're going to keep the ability to save data behind a velvet rope unless you slip the bouncer a fat wad of cash...just because they CAN.

Sony can take their precious Vita and shove up their money-grubbing rear-ends.