The Big Picture: Junk Drawer: Reloaded

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Grammar Nazi note: "strata" is a plural form as-is, of the singular "stratum". "Stratas" is redundant.

The irony for me is, the best Christian Bale Batman I know is Mark Douglas from Barely Political/The Key of Awesome/Rated Awesome, but about 90% of the time, he lapses into a less raspy Batman that more closely resembles... not so much Michael Keaton/Batman, as Michael Keaton/Beetlejuice.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Oh god please no more reboots of 80s girl TV franchises. MLP: FiM was a complete fluke, and it will probably never happen again. As for the Soul Caliber/Twilight conflict, I have to agree completely. Although, I never really liked the female characters in Soul Caliber because they looked like such sluts in the first place.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Can I still hate twilight for having the worst characters in any movie to date? I know I'm not the targeted audience, but I still can't believe they got away with that bad of a script..or worse yet that there's people out there who actually enjoyed it =|

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Father Time said:
MovieBob said:
wraith428 said:
Feminism is not an insult but Masculism is... explain that one to me Bob.
150,000 years of human history/pre-history (give or take) of men having 100% absolute power over the lives (and, to be blunt, bodies) of women versus only about 40-50 (give or take) years of SOME women (primarily those fortunate enough to be born in so-called "first world" countries) having legally-protected equal status to men which is none the less STILL under constant threat re: anti-choice movements, male-reassertiveness ideologies, etc. The worst excess of our supposedly "feminist" modern culture is that men are occasionally denied certain levels of unfair privilige prior generations may have enjoyed, while the worst excesses of the "masculist" culture that preceded it included forced-subservience, casual spousal-abuse, female non-personhood and rape as a legally-unprovable "thing that happened" as everyday accepted ways of life.

That's why.
And do you think this bigotry against men is OK? Do you think it's OK to condemn all men for the sins of some of them?
It's not ok but who does the cops and judges believe. I seen a woman beat the crap out of her man. Yet when he snapped and slapped her he was the one that gone to jail eventhough he was bleeding. It's no where near fair yet guys really can't fight it without looking like huge jerks.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
TheDooD said:
Father Time said:
MovieBob said:
wraith428 said:
Feminism is not an insult but Masculism is... explain that one to me Bob.
150,000 years of human history/pre-history (give or take) of men having 100% absolute power over the lives (and, to be blunt, bodies) of women versus only about 40-50 (give or take) years of SOME women (primarily those fortunate enough to be born in so-called "first world" countries) having legally-protected equal status to men which is none the less STILL under constant threat re: anti-choice movements, male-reassertiveness ideologies, etc. The worst excess of our supposedly "feminist" modern culture is that men are occasionally denied certain levels of unfair privilige prior generations may have enjoyed, while the worst excesses of the "masculist" culture that preceded it included forced-subservience, casual spousal-abuse, female non-personhood and rape as a legally-unprovable "thing that happened" as everyday accepted ways of life.

That's why.
And do you think this bigotry against men is OK? Do you think it's OK to condemn all men for the sins of some of them?
It's not ok but who does the cops and judges believe. I seen a woman beat the crap out of her man. Yet when he snapped and slapped her he was the one that gone to jail eventhough he was bleeding. It's no where near fair yet guys really can't fight it without looking like huge jerks.
The man doesn't even have to do anything wrong. In any divorce proceeding, the woman is always highly favored in every aspect. Even if the mother is neglectful and the father a saint the children will go to the mother.

It's one thing to enshrine into law the equality of women and do everything possible to prevent abuse anyone, but some times things seem to be heading into "Some animals are more equal than others" territory.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i don't care that women are half naked in game. k, i find it a bit childish but don't really care. what annoys me is that every female character has the body of a model. that really annoys me and find it really lazy. if developers design a male chararter he is almost always unique: big, stron, weak, short, ugly, good looking, slim, fat and muc more. when they go for a female character: boobs or she is a child. it is so fucking lazy.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Varya said:
Also, yes, we should not complain about Edward or Jacob in Twilight. I even think we should leave the sparkly vampire thing a rest. There is so much more wrong with the mere concept that is the Twilight series, that going after the superficial is like complaining about how silly Hitlers moustache is
Yes, but have you SEEN it? It's like the guy glued a live caterpillar to his nostrils.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Generic Gamer said:
Sylocat said:
I don't care about the attractiveness of the male leads, or how they run around in next to nothing. I'm bisexual, so of course I like that, but I think anyone seriously that worked up is just fucking insecure.

Of course, what does trouble me about Twilight is its portrayal of the Edward/Bella RELATIONSHIP as anything but creepy...
Thing is that it's fictional entertainment based on what a lot of women find fun in a fantasy. It's not designed to be used as a basis for a real relationship, take it from a guy who has read more than a few female erotic novels, they are almost never representative of a healthy relationship or any relationship a woman would want. Women on the whole are not so stupid as to confuse an idle daydream with a workable plan.

If people are that easily influenced by fiction then you have to wonder about games and violence, after all the main moral point of most games is that murder is the best solution to a problem.
I should have been more specific. I meant the part of their relationship revolving around the reproductive metaphors, the demon-baby and the... well, you get the idea.

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
When I originally saw the first junk drawer, I thought he was literally going to talk about his drawer that has random crap in it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
drisky said:
ccdohl said:
But aren't the males in Soul Calibur hypersexualized too? Every one of them has a six pack, sculpted pecs, and huge arms. Does that not count, just because men are expected to play SC more than women are?
Thats something I thought too, just look at Maxi's belly shirt. I think the case with Soul Caliber though is Ivy in particular, she really doesn't even match a human shape, never mind one that could move so easily, add how her outfits get increasing skimpy. I've never liked Ivy for the reason that she doesn't look like a human. But yes, it gets less attention because there are less girls playing it, its less a part of what shapes a collective female opinion.
Admittedly (as I pointed out earlier), that is true as Sieg, Maxi, Kilik, Raphael, Mitsu, and the upcoming Patroklos and Z.W.E.I. are most certainly meant to bring in female players due to their designs, but the women BY FAR are a lot more fetishized. Roughly half the male cast is also a bunch of weirdos like Voldo, Astaroth, Cervantes, and Yoshimitsu who are probably too creepy to the average female. I can't name ONE female in the cast who isn't a stunningly attractive (or obnoxiously cute like Amy or Talim), perfectly sculpted specimen.