The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Rises

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
saintdane05 said:
NO! THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH BATMAN!!!!!!!!
Who? Oh him. Sorry, I was distracted buying my ninth ticket to go see The Avengers. *Smirk*

OT: Zangief isn't a villain. I don't think he even was in SFII, he was just a national hero in the Soviet Union and in the more recent games he's a mildly comical character who's goal is just to prove his strength. He's got a huge fanbase of children whom he dutifully fights for, even going so far to take a picture of himself holding the final boss of one game in a headlock so his fans can see him doing good deeds.

Hell, even SAGAT is something of a good guy now, having given up his vendetta with Ryu and learning that fighting isn't about victory but about improving yourself. He returns home (where he's still a national hero and icon) where children are glad to see him and he reflects on how he "met an old friend" (implied to be Ryu) during the course of the game. That's actually a pretty interesting character arch to take Sagat in. He's regained his pride but more than that he's found a new outlook on life that's given him a sense of peace. It's pretty amazing to see that in a fighting game.

I don't mind though because even Wreck-It Ralph doesn't make him into much of a bad guy, like any wrestling character he was introduced as something of a heel (the way WWE wrestlers can go back and forth between fan-favorite and love-to-hate personas).

Anyways. Bob? Stop over-defining the archery scene in Brave. Princesses not wanting to be princesses isn't anything new and corsets aren't actually designed to constrict a woman. They're just for support. Believe me, I have a girlfriend who enjoys wearing them and she never has trouble breathing or moving.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sis said:
Haven't we reached the point where maybe, just maybe, we've seen enough Mario for a while?
As Yahtzee said in his Spore review: Short answer: No.
Long answer; NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Sis said:
Haven't we reached the point where maybe, just maybe, we've seen enough Mario for a while?
HA HAHA HAHAHAhahAHahA it is funny cause it's true :p

I love a good mario game here and again but Nintendo doesn't go a year without a new Mario game fact is he is just that thing they use when they got nothing these days.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
BLASPHEMY!!!
There can never be enough of multimillionaire in tight suit of giant bat...
Ok, maybe you got the point.
Hurray for multimillionaire in red&yellow high-tech power armor :D

Corran006

May 20, 2009
Movie Bob is trying so hard to hate The Dark knight rises for some reason, he always seems to take a swipe at it whenever possible. I could say the same thing about super Mario, is it not been enough by now? Or how about side scrollers in general. Bob does have a point about Cod vs Mario though.

As for Brave IGN was really not all that impressed with it saying it was just another princess story all about girl power, which is another thing that has been beaten to death. However that is just their view point, I will be interested how Movie bob feels about the film once he has been able view it.

First we had action movies with the strong men that were done to death but I think the girl power movies are on the right track to also being overplayed.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Haven't heard of Wreck-It-Ralph, however since the overriding sense I'm getting is that unless you can identify every single cameo character in the movie, this movie isn't for you... I'm not going to bother with it...

CronoT

May 15, 2010
What I'm more concerned about with the Wreck-It Ralph trailer is how the game the title character is in glosses over the concept of imminent domain, and then does jack-squat with it!

I know this is supposed to be a kid's movie, but with all the video game references in it, how many 6-12 year old's are really going to get it? Also, Fix-It Felix is a clear reference to Bob the Builder. So, is Disney trying to say that Felix is the stooge of the real villain, since he's the one propping up the system?

Or am I just reading too much into all this?

But seriously, the imminent domain thing has me really grinding my gears. I hope it gets addressed in the movie.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Corran006 said:
Movie Bob is trying so hard to hate The Dark knight rises for some reason, he always seems to take a swipe at it whenever possible.
I think he's trying to stop himself from fanboying over DKR. TV Tropes calls it Hype Backlash. It's just to prevent him from thinking its the Second Coming then be upset when it isn't.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I liked the scene in Brave trailer where her dress bursts.
It parodies how impractical female wear is.
It's a metaphor for what she is going. She was a generic girl as a caterpillar and burst into what she is as a butterfly in front of everyone to prove her worth. I can't spell the various terms for the in between stage.

Pixar + Pretty + Looks to be tackling gender equality smartly = going to be a good Film.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
But in the new CoD they ADDED A FRELLING 2 TO THE COVER!
omg INVATORS!!!!

But, seriously?
Yeah...can't say I'm really disagreeing with you on any of these parts.

Except, maybe, I wish they chose another black guy for that movie.
I just can't take him seriously anymore.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I didn't realize Wreck-It Ralph was a movie. I thought it was some Donkey Kong esque indie game <.< Needless to say I am now excited about a Disney movie for first time since I was eight.

Bigwig said:
Up until Galaxy each new Mario game was different enough from the last for the series to remain fresh. But look at the series now: New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros Wii U...all these games look, sound, and play essentially the same. Why should Mario get a free pass to stagnate just because it innovated in the past? There have been 5 modern CoD games, and with 4 NSMBs Mario is quickly catching up.

It just seems like a double standard. Just as people are willing to play the same CoD game every year there are people willing to play the same Mario game every year. Neither series is bad by any stretch, they're all very well made games, but they're also cash cows for their respective publishers who treat them as such.
Agree so much with this. I personally love getting my annual sports game fix (pes or fifa, though I didn't actually buy one this year) and while it fair to say they are pretty samey it is unfair to say they don't innovate at all and screw it I like sports and I like games, so putting the two together is okay in my book. The same can be said for COD though I hate to admit it. Recent Mario games have begun innovate less and blend into each other but they will get a free pass on it because it is Nintendo and for some reason swapping out old power ups for new ones is more innovative that updated rosters and new guns in Nintendo fan logic.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
If Deathstroke the Terminator is in that crappy-looking 'Arrow' show I will have to watch it regardless. That is pretty much the only DC character I genuinely and unabashedly like.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Sis said:
While I do agree with the points Bob made ... The choice of words on that Batman point was off. First arguing about "innovation" and different-features-of-multiple-incarnations-of-X being better than multiple-incarnations-of-X then going on to broadly claim there was "too much Batman" recently ... Well, it does sound contradictory.
I do kinda get the drift of Batman being overused and oversaturated, while Mario feels "fresh" every time ... But ... yeh, as I said: Poor choice of words.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Sis said:
Pretty much this.

And as a fan of the EA Sports NHL franchise, I think it's asinine to talk about how much Mario has innovated and then say those games haven't innovated at all. It just comes off as super pretentious.

"Yeah. I grew up with the NES. My franchise of choice is better than YOUR franchise of choice."

I grew up with an NES too. I'm just not a pretentious ass about it.
Lets see though...

Me: I like platformers, RPGs and beat em ups.

People who only play sports titles/CoD and only those: NOOOOOO THOSE ARE NOT REAL GAMES, YOU HAVE TO PLAY CoD!!!

Me: But CoD isn't for me, I do like other FPS like Serious Sam, Resistance and the like.

Nincompoop: YOU DON'T DESERVE TO PLAY GAMES!!! ONLY MY GAMES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE MADE!!!

Don't happen all the time, but its annoying. Plus saying CoD isn't your cup of tea yet you like Mario gets you some vile hate mail, even on here.
You realize that is the same attitude Mobiebob is endorsing here, right?

Just reverse the names, and you will notice a pattern on his speech that says "COD does not innovate, Madden does not innovate. Mario is a true innovation force in this industry!" Not saying that Mario games are bad games, and I don't even like COD or sports games; but to judge them on a different light just because "its Mario" is typical fanboy pattern.

In fact, Mario innovates just as little. All the people that complains about COD relegating innovation to "new perks and weapons" need to be more critical to a game that introduces a new blue flower that shoots ice, instead of a red one that shoots fire. Is that what passes for innovation now? How about a green one that shoots acid and a brown one that shoots rocks. Maybe that is enough to justify an entire new game.