The Big Picture: Last Starr

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
misterprickly said:
Nomanslander said:
You want to know one 80s cartoon that was as awesome as it was easily and undeserving-ly forgotten? Look up C.O.P.S.

And no it had nothing to do with the reality show Cops that came way latter.

That's the late Mark Daily of Citypulse news, narrating that opening.

He was the voice of the character "Bulletproof" Vess in the series.

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
"Lets see if we can get through this with a straight face..." Challenge Accepted
"...takes place on the planet 'New Texas.'" Challenge Failed

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
My God! the nostalgia! it's... overwhelming!

I must confess, I loved Bravestarr back in the day, and more obscure shows like The Centurions and TigerSharks (basically Thundercats, but underwater). "They" should totally ruin my childhood further by scraping the bottom of the 80's cartoon barrel in an attempt to recapture my disposable income. Actually, with a little TLC and some tweaking, a bunch of the "obscure" 80s cartoons might make interesting modern properties... though most people won't remember the originals and think they're rip-offs of the newer stuff that ripped them off initially.

...damn kids not knowing things... /fistshake

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
2xDouble said:
My God! the nostalgia! it's... overwhelming!

I must confess, I loved Bravestarr back in the day, and more obscure shows like The Centurions and TigerSharks (basically Thundercats, but underwater). "They" should totally ruin my childhood further by scraping the bottom of the 80's cartoon barrel in an attempt to recapture my disposable income. Actually, with a little TLC and some tweaking, a bunch of the "obscure" 80s cartoons might make interesting modern properties... though most people won't remember the originals and think they're rip-offs of the newer stuff that ripped them off initially.

...damn kids not knowing things... /fistshake
There was an attempt to redo "Thundercats" some time ago, with, from what I remember, a grown -up Wilykit and Wilykat as slaves of Mumm-Ra. I honestly don't recall more of it than that, and it was a comic, not a TV series...

Madcat75

May 7, 2010
Thundercats was redone last year, I dont know how well it has done though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThunderCats_(2011_TV_series)

TheMadJayWoman

Apr 24, 2009
They threw so much crazy stuff at us as kids (especially in the 80's) that it's hard to sort out what really happened and what's just an amalgam of fuzzy memories and fantasy blended together. As soon as I saw that cyborg humanoid horse with a gun, this one came back to me... I don't know whether to thank Bob or curse him...

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
End of "The price" - Episode where a child actually dies from drug overdose [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKMzHqzfjE]

Not everything in Bravestarr was harmless.

I was just the right age when that episode aired and as ridiculously corny as it might sound i have always remembered it and the message.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I occasionally catch an episode on the Qubo channel at night, along with He-Man and She-Ra. [sub]don't judge me![/sub]

fun fact: "Krang" voices Bravestarr.

Some of Bravestarr's lesser known powers [http://www.lilformers.com/blog/2009/06/08/06082009/]

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
As a child of the 80s I already new about bravestarr so I made thru the intro without laughing. As other mentioned this really wasn't that out there as far as 80s cartoons go. Galaxy rangers took the same idea of cowboys in space near the same time. (which the character Shane "Goose" Gooseman was so blantantly modeled after Clint Eastwood heh.)We had shows like Dinosaucers were alien humanoid dinosaurs came to earth and fought a war here, which the good guys recruited kids. We had land sea and air versions of Thunder cats, with silverhawks and Tigersharks. (which had many of the same voice actors though, they are painful to watch nowdays.)M.A.S.K had vechiles that secret organizations used that turned into some other secondary vechile mode and fought each other.(such as a Trans Am that transformed into a jet mode.)

Probably the oddest 80s show was Turbo teen...a kid accidentally drives into a test site and gains the power to transform into a sportscar whenever he is exposed to something hot(whether be the geniune heat, or something spicy that he eats.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUcG97DMAsQ . Which of course Robot chicken had an awesome parody of why that isa terrible power to have hehe..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vtSnD1nug (Not safe for work.)It takes the cake for weirdness.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
For the interested- I just found a boxset of this at the dollar tree... only half the episodes, but it might be worth it for some of you to go take a look. Had some He-man DVDs too.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
As a bona fide Child of the 80's, I -must- read that webcomic! I recently watched Bravestarr on Hulu... didn't quite match up with my fond memories. I'm curious about the movie, though.

Also, I second Captain Power being the next target of the nostalgia gold mine. THE TOYS INTERACTED WITH THE TV SHOW!!! Upstart hybrid toys like Skylanders ain't got nothin' on a live actor saying "Power on!" and the Power-On Energizer sitting next to you going crazy in response. B-)