The Big Picture: Last Starr

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Last Starr

This week MovieBob takes you on a nostalgia filled trip back to the mid-80's.

Watch Video

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
HOLY CRAP! I just looked into this show last week after hearing part of the main theme in this awesome Cartoon Medley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrMvYHFeH60

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
The same censorship standards (that and the controversy surrounding Power Rangers) are the reason the early 90s Marvel cartoons were full of futuristic laser guns.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I remember that show. Though I don't think I ever watched it, at least not the way I watched a Transformers or GI Joe or whatever. Pretty sure I remember seeing the toys at the Toys R Us too, but it's hard to say.

Nice vid Mr Bob.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Equesteroid? God damn, when they make up words they make up words.

That is one goofy ass looking show though.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
I've been wondering when The Trenches would cue up a revival in Bravestarr interest... Ah, nostalgia.

Remember Captain Power? Boglins?

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Can anyone explain in one to ten sentences how penny arcade got so big. I know they have a webcomic but I only ever "get" 1 in 10 of them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I remember loving Bravestarr. In fact, while I'm familiar with the existence of Trenches, I didn't know about Lawstarr specifically until I saw that image. And I knew EXACTLY what they were ripping off.

The thing is, even a lot of the "good" cartoons at the time sucked. Looking at them now, they don't hold up (with a few major exceptions). When I saw Bravestarr on Netflix, I was amazed at how bad it was compared to my memory. Still kinda amusing and fun, but wow. And the stereotypes about Shamanism and the "prairie people?" Even if not intentionally racist, hoo-boy!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I loved that cartoon. But even into my 20's, I realized that all of those shows from that era were just constant remaking of the same themes. One of the things I loved about the aesthetics of the period was the constant clashing of ancient or older elements mixed with futuristic technologies, and BraveStarr was kind of the epitome of this for me.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
L'Oreal? What the hell would a cosmetics company want with an animation studio?

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
WEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I got fucking goosebumps when I heard that intro.

Though in hindsight it was probably the only good thing about the show, like with so many other 80's toyline cartoons.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I think Bob forgot to talk about the biggest issue there; Why was an animation studio bought by a hair product company?

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Moviebob, spare my brain cells please. man there were so many werid shows back in the day, i'll just leave it at that and leave, my brain needs some resting time.

Captcha: Round table, er it it trying to tell me something?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
You know, I see these clips of those old 80s cartoons and it makes me glad that I was born at the tail-end of the decade. Because I didn't have to grow up watching that crap. Granted, I had crap of my own, but it wasn't so... weird.

Also, I'm not familiar with Penny Arcade. I don't read too many web comics. My brother has read plenty, however, and last he told me, Penny Arcade was the Garfield of web comics. For those of you who think that's a complimentary comparison, I pity you. Anyway, I took his word for it, and I only visit the Penny Arcade site to watch Extra Credits.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Qitz said:
Equesteroid? God damn, when they make up words they make up words.
I almost read "Equestria" there... Either way, both "names" come from "Equus", which is a genus of animals which include horses, zebras, and donkeys.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Urh said:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
Well, you see, it was the 80's. If you weren't actively raiding other corporations, then you were in the process of being raided. Investment bankers needed to keep this concept up, or else they would have run out of cocaine.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Urh said:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
And for that you win an internet. :D

Big companies (within reason) buy anything they think they can make money out of. Even if it's just by chopping it up and selling all the bits. :(

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
I...just don't even...I think my head exploded at least twice?

And then I found this [http://www.hulu.com/bravestarr]

OH. THANK. GOD.