The Big Picture: Legend of Many

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Legend of Many

Nintendo shouldn't be scared to make another live-action series.

Watch Video

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
In case people are wondering why this isn't an episode on the new Spider-Man stuff, here's why:

<tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/565019923403902977>

I'm guessing next week. Or an article on Friday. Or both.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm really on the fence about this.

On the one hand, I'd LOVE to see a Metriod movie come out of this.

On the other hand, Netflix is about 50/50 when it comes to series for me.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'm on board for a Zelda series for sure.

But in my Genie of the Game Cartridge wish category, what I'd really love to see is a Zelda game where they take the trappings and other LoZ accouterments and use them in a sci-fi setting. Master Sword? Laser sword or Light-saber. Tri-Force? Holocrons a-la Star Wars. Ganon? Alien pig creature. And Epona is Link's spaceship. ;)

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Why would Nintendo pull out of this deal? Seems like a win-win from their standpoint and not nearly as risky as their other cross media ventures.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Marter said:
I'm more curious as to why people thought it would be about the Spider-Man stuff today.

OT: I basically agree on it being easy to make something faithful to TLoZ, and I guess on the whole even if I probably wouldn't indulge in the product much.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
Zelda definitely seems like the best series to make into well.... a series. Like MovieBob said, since the universe of Zelda is so diverse and maleable it'll be less about trying to recreate scenes from a particular game and more about creating a good story.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Burnouts3s3 said:
Why would Nintendo pull out of this deal? Seems like a win-win from their standpoint and not nearly as risky as their other cross media ventures.
After the flop of the Super Mario Bros. Movie Nintendo has rejected any idea pitched to them about making a movie based on their main franchises. They do seem to be getting better though, since they are letting their characters cameo on other movies like Wreck-it Ralph and that movie Bob mentioned in the video. Perhaps The Big N is warming up to the idea of making movie adaptations again and this Zelda show is them testing the waters.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
In this age...where dragons roam and the darkness creeps further every day, we need a hero.
A hero to rise up and stand against the evils of the world...
A hero......

like Groose.

Seriously though, my only hope that Link stays a silent protagonist. Yeah, it will be hard to do....
Rise to the challenge then.
Maybe even have a series where Link isn't the protagonist. Where Link is in the background doing all the cool stuff while others are holding down the homefront.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
Nintendo hasn't even been confirmed as having heard the pitch. All reports point to someone at the Wall Street Journal got word that someone at Netflix has an idea for a pitch to Nintendo about a Legend of Zelda series that would be a family friendly version of Game of Thrones. That's it. There's no writer attached, there's nothing beyond that. It sounds to me like this is a pipe dream for Netflix and not much else.

Personally I could get on board with this if it wasn't trying to be a family friendly version of Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones is about watching multiple tales weave together to tell one large story that is more about character interactions and relationships than action or adventuring. Legend of Zelda on the other hand is about one hero's journey to save the princess/kingdom from a great evil that seeks to destroy everything good in the land of Hyrule. Hate to say this but those story telling setups don't work that well together unless Netflix intends to pull focus from Link and Zelda by bringing in side characters no one cares about which sounds like a surefire way to get Nintendo to run for the hills and upset fans.

This needs to be approached in a similar fashion to something like Star Wars which centers around a main character (Luke or in this case Link) but also deals with a supporting cast that grows as the movies go on. In this case it could be as the season progresses Link finds himself being aided by the likes of Zelda, Impa, Sheik, and any other supporting characters they might want to use from the extension history the series has. Let these side characters be part of the story but never fully the focus as this needs to be about Link and his battle against Ganon.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm fine with them going for the TV series route than a movie. If it was going to be a movie, it would had been trim down alot mainly looking for the 7 sage/ powerup/ item part of the game. I mean e.g. that awful animated Iron Man movie had the Mandarin only wearing 5 rings not 10.

Mythmaker

Nov 28, 2012
As usual, Bob manages to offer intelligent, entertaining insight into things that are not video games. When he's not talking about something directly associated with the current state of the video game industry and/or Nintendo, he not only sounds perfectly sane, but also legitimately passionate and well-informed. But then he has to talk about video games, and that all goes out the window.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Bob you actually hit the nail on the head about why I've never gone wild about the Zelda franchise, its malleability. Links not interesting, zelda isn't interesting, and Gannondorf is the most interesting without being interesting and everything else is up to the creator at the time and if thats all it takes to make a Zelda world then thats a shallow well to draw from. BUT I also didn't have N64 growing up and the last Zelda game I played was Link to the past so what do I care. LET YOU HAVE YOUR SERIES!

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
inu-kun said:
Lara Croft especially sucked in the reboot, how can anyone say it was an improvement?
You are talking about the guy who made two videos in defense of Other M...

Ahri_Blaze

Sep 9, 2014
Rakor said:
Seriously though, my only hope that Link stays a silent protagonist. Yeah, it will be hard to do....
I'm kind of on Bob's ship with this one. No, Link should not be silent because he clearly talks and interacts with characters. We just never see the dialogue box or hear him speak. I mean when they made Pokemon could you imagine how boring the show would've been if they tried to make Ash a silent protagonist simply because in the games Red never technically has a dialogue box but interacts with the other characters.

Hell Pokemon The Origin did make Red speak and that was more or less and truly faithful adaptation of the game's storyline. Link should speak and the notion that he shouldn't because he "doesn't" in the games is stupid. I mean if they made a Half Life or Portal movie would you really expect them to make Gordon Freeman and Chell silent?

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Eh, I'm not a fan of the idea of live action Zelda, if only because, with the exception of Twilight Princess, the series seems for the most part too stylized and colourful to really be captured in live action without looking too silly.

I mean, just look at that image of Groose from earlier in the thread. Groose is amazing, but can you imagine trying to make someone look like that in live action? I just can't picture it. Not to mention, considering you see more monsters than humans in Zelda, if it was live action I imagine you'd have to either cut most of the critters out, or they'd have to have some pretty sub-par special effects to portray them all and stay on budget.

Honestly, the only Nintendo franchise I've ever been able to properly envision in live action is Metroid, as it always had the more realistic looking style to begin with.