The Big Picture: Maddening

Quak0r

Mar 19, 2009
JBJCurly said:
Bob nailed it this time!!! We should take anyone that has EVER committed a felony and just put them in prison FOREVER!!! No second chances. No redemption. No time served.
Why stop there? capital punishment for everyone!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Decided to break my vow of not watching this tripe, just for the lulz since I genuinely had no idea who Michael Vick was or about the Madden franchise. And after watching 5 minutes of ranting and raving in the style of an overgrown manchild, what conclusions do I reach?

Do I think what Michael Vick did was wrong? Yes, even though, believe it or not, there are ringleaders for worse things out there than animal cruelty.

Do I think he truly 'served his time'? Nope, not really...but then again I don't give that much creedence to a fair number of written laws. And you know what? The Escapist being so full of pretentious energy of being 'upstanding law-abiding gamer citizens' think on this - by LAW, he had served his time. Ah but...in this case you won't uphold the law, will you? Because in this case by all means - let's form a lynch mob. Very mature indeed. *sigh*

Frankly...even though the subject matter is different, the more and more I read and watch videos on the Escapist, the more I'm reminded of the arguments and criticism it stirs up to be in the style of the following clip...starting decently enough at first before degenerating into what I've just watched here eventually and exposing truly lovely levels of pretentiousness and hypocrisy.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
MovieBob said:
Maddening

MovieBob wonders why people keep buying Madden, and why anyone would want Michael Vick on the cover.

Watch Video
i have to say i was upset with you for an ealier video but this one video makes me want to buy you a trophy and sing your greatness in the street. That basterd should hav been wiped cut and beaten till he was on the brink of death then set up in a cage match with a MMA fighter.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
dex-dex said:
at least our football league does not employ criminals just because they can put their butt in the air and throw a ball between their legs.
<url=http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20060612_128443_128443>Is that so? You're so funny
I do enjoy a good joke! I am glad you share my sense of humour.

hightide

Kittenkiller
Jun 17, 2009
Blah, you hate Madden, kk, get it but to lots of people think each Madden is worth the money. Think of it as an education tool, for the price of having fun you get to learn in depth about every team's players, which makes watching football a lot more fun.

Finally, almost no one is saying Vick should be cut slack because it was "just a dog", but rather dog fighting is common place in poor, black, southern areas. Hell, if our parents think its normal to live without the internet then some people can think its normal to fight dogs if they are around dog fighting as a child.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
AgentBJ09 said:
canadamus_prime said:
...On the bright side, at least if he does get on the box he'll suffer the Madden curse.
I think it hit him early with his conviction.

Still, the Madden curse...Would be fun to watch if he did make the cover, but I would rather he not be the chosen one anyway. He should have been removed from the running as soon as he was convicted.
Oh so would I, the curse is just consolation in case we fail to prevent him from being chosen.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I respect your opinion Bob, but I don't agree with it. If Vick is voted to be on the cover that's fine with me.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
naab said:
All right I'll bite, what is "Madden Curse" or what is that?

OT: And ultimately, people who are going to buy Madden and play the game on a casual and/or competitive basis won't care to look at the cover of Madden 2012... We get hit with so much media on a daily basis.... we flip through channels, have about 4-6 internet tabs up at once while on the cpu, and unless we're playing a specific game story play through about 2-4 games a day.

Sadly no one is going to even look at the cover of Madden long enough to go, "Hey I don't agree with this bastard on the cover of Madden."

But yes... what is Madden Curse?
Someone should make a thread detailing waht it is, cause this response has been common.

Basically, whatever player is on the front cover of the Madden game has a bad year that year. usually though injury, though not always. Vick was on the 2004 Cover.

I'll say that again and hope people see it.

MICHAEL VICK WAS ON THE 2004 COVER OF MADDEN 2004
http://dreager1.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/256px-madden2004box.jpg

The year after, he broke his leg preseason, and missed between 10-12 games, and now, well, this stuff. But players arent awlways injured or have bad seasons. Larry Fitzgerald had a relatively great season after his appearance (yeah, he missed the pro bowl, but thats a joke of a game) and Drew Brees lost in the first round of the playoffs. No injury, just lost.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
I have a video that accurately sums up my opinion of Michael Vick created by the good people at DarkMatch. specifically why we should be able to give someone like michael vick a bit more forgiveness than chris brown. the vick stuff is about 10 min into the video so you can skip there if you like, but the whole thing's worth watching IMHO. Please tell me what you think of the arguments made. WARNING VIDEO CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE!!!

http://darkmatch.blip.tv/file/4960060/

I don't really get how people seem to think that michael vick should continue to suffer despite seeming genuinely repentant? Why isn't prison time enough? I think bob is being WAY to sensitive here.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
If it had any guy off of the streets busted with dog fighting you can guarantee that person would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Sad fact is: fame has it's privileges and justice often fails.

So go ahead EA, this'll be par for the course for stupid moves you've made in advertising.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Dastardly said:
MovieBob said:
Maddening

MovieBob wonders why people keep buying Madden, and why anyone would want Michael Vick on the cover.

Watch Video
I'm with you on this, but I do want to throw in an alternate reasoning:

It's okay to ask us to forgive Vick. It's okay to ask that we believe in redemption, and to open ourselves up to the possibility that we are also capable of all evil things if the world were to just catch us on a bad day. It's okay to point out the fact that he's "done his time" and is trying to get his act together. All of that is okay, and I agree.

However.

Forgiving someone, or believing they have redeemed themselves, does not mean forestalling the logical consequences of those actions. It is not wrong, unforgiving, or uncharitable to vehemently want to deny Vick this spot. He paid his legal debt to society, and that's fine. It means he cannot be punished again, but refusing to honor something is not the same as punishment.

If someone robs me and gunpoint, goes to jail, gets out, and then comes to see me for forgiveness, I might choose to use that opportunity to forgive them. I'd let them know that I didn't like what they did, and I'd stop wishing horrible things to happen to them. I'd let them know I really do hope they go on to make better choices. But forgiving them doesn't mean I have to like them, be "buddies," or ever even speak to them ever again. I certainly don't have to make them best man at my wedding, or keep a picture of them on my desk.

Well said (MoiveBob and yourself). Although I agree with him in this case, in general whether I do or don't his arguments are well thought out and try to be as logical as possible where it warrants it. Were you by chance ever part of a debate club?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
dex-dex said:
emeraldrafael said:
dex-dex said:
at least our football league does not employ criminals just because they can put their butt in the air and throw a ball between their legs.
<url=http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20060612_128443_128443>Is that so? You're so funny
I do enjoy a good joke! I am glad you share my sense of humour.
I do actually, if your being sarcastic. Really, this is going to fuel alot of jokes between the Canadian kid at my college and myself when he talks about the CFL and I talk about hte NFL.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
AvauntVanguard said:
Sorry Bob, I have to disagree.
I don't like Vick, but yes. They're just dogs. Sorry.

I'm not simply the type of christian who thinks we're above animals or what have you; I simply don't think they deserve this much respect. Until they get thumbs and start building shit, I never will.

Look, I had a cat for the first 15 years of my life. He was there when I was born and he definitely possessed some intelligence and memory. I got that. But I didn't cry when both our cats had to be put down due to sickness and then depression (Yes, our cat suffered depression after the first one died). While I can understand some of the concepts that many animals are just barely a couple steps down from us... They're still just that. Below us.

Sorry.
So torturing them for fun and profit is ok? I'm not arguing your core point - they are, certainly, less advanced creatures than people - that doesn't make his behavior any less reprehensible.
I have to disagree with you on the idea that animals are less advanced. It's not inherently a false statement but it needs to be qualified. Less advanced technologically? Certainly. Less advanced intellectually? Alright? But there are other ways to quantify advancement... there are animals with richer genetic heritage then humans. Puffer fish for example posses 0 junk DNA. Living beings evolve certain ways to fit into a biological niche. We have our place, other animals have there's, I could know more survive in the Indian jungle then a tiger could survive in New York.

Still despite this I cant agree whole heartedly with Bob... or at least I cant agree with his righteousness on this issue. I dont like Vicks, I disprove of dog fighting, and I think putting him on the cover of Madden would be a PR mistake on EAs part. But I refuse to get sanctimonious about it, because you know actively supports the torture and slaughter of animals? Yeah, I do. I do it every time I go to the grocery store and buy a pound of ground beef. I do it every time I choose to buy meat that hasnt been certified as humanly raised and slaughtered. You want to see torture of animals? Go visit a stockyards some time. Unless your a vegetarian or only buy certified humanly slaughtered meat, and you really decry Vicks on this issue, your a hypocrite.

I wish it wasnt so. I really wish I had the moral fortitude to only buy humanely killed meat. I would love to sit on a high horse and cast judgment down on people like Vicks. But I cant. I'm not that much better then he is, and I think if most people on this board where honest with themselves, they would probably realize the same thing.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Just to quote myself on the topic:

Woodsey said:
The guy served his punishment - punishing him further by leaving him out of these sort of things undermines the judicial system.
Susan Arendt said:
boeingguy787 said:
Seriously, guys? NOBODY believes in second chances? I thought that the justice system was designed to rehabilitate people, and Vick seems to be rehabilitated (unlike countless others who have not changed their ways).
He got his second chance - he's still playing professional football and getting paid obscene amounts of money for it. He's been given the opportunity to make a living off his athletic prowess. Anything other than that? He was a millionaire who got his jollies torturing and killing innocent animals. He can die in a damn fire.
"He's been given the opportunity to make a living off his athletic prowess."

Which is why he's been selected to go on the cover.

Prison is the punishment. The ENTIRE purpose of it is to set an amount of time that - if we're going to be crude about it - evens out the balance sheets. Designating the punishment is the job of a judge, not any of us.

Now, I don't want to see him get the pay cheque from it, but he has obviously been chosen because he's deemed to have played as well as (or better than) the other 15 guys who have also been chosen.

Emergent System

Feb 27, 2010
We torture (or sanction the torture) and murder (of) animals for food all the time. I don't really see the distinction. If he did it just for the sick pleasure of murdering the animals I would see the distinction, but their torture and murder was more of a side-effect than the goal itself.

radarbsm

Aug 30, 2009
While I do not think he should be on the cover. Most of you people in this thread need to read this article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3148549

He has already paid for his actions. So there should be no reason for him to not be in this contest, if he had a good year.

Quak0r

Mar 19, 2009
Dastardly said:
Forgiving someone, or believing they have redeemed themselves, does not mean forestalling the logical consequences of those actions. It is not wrong, unforgiving, or uncharitable to vehemently want to deny Vick this spot. He paid his legal debt to society, and that's fine. It means he cannot be punished again, but refusing to honor something is not the same as punishment.
While I agree with your reasoning on the whole I must nitpick about your last statement. Punishment is adding something negative or removing something positive. So refusing to honor something is punishment, not punishment by law in this case but still punishment.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Wow, cry me a river.

There's something of a sliding scale here. He spent 2 years in jail and went bankrupt, There's a spot between "Ok to kill and torture animals" and "die in a fire". What he did was not okay, he killed dogs for fun and profit. But to say that is irredeemable, is, in my eyes a hypocritical and hideous thing to claim.

What we have here is (vile) mobs screaming for blood because their "Oh so refined sensibilities were offended." Moviebob handwaved that he has a hunting & fishing license but, no wait, go back to that. It completely fucking invalidates his point! What's the huge difference here between deer and dogs? Between Fish and Dogs? How about between the dogs and the animals that became the meat you said you eat? Or whose skin became the leather on your belt? You go "yeah yeah" with that ridiculous voice of utter contempt you have, but in the end you're nothing but a big, whiny, intellectually dishonest hypocrite. And that goes for all the other hypocrites supporting you in this thread, wishing death and pain on another human being because he fucking killed some dogs.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Prison is the punishment. The ENTIRE purpose of it is to set an amount of time that - if we're going to be crude about it - evens out the balance sheets. Designating the punishment is the job of a judge, not any of us.
That would be true, but this forum is full of Gen Y. And if there's anything that Gen Y wants to be it's to be judge, jury and most especially executioner.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
I seem to be in the minority here, but I basically HAVE forgiven him. If he hasn't done it anymore since he got out of jail and has spoken out against his own actions, denying him forgiveness is pointless. I've said it before, we should try and let him move on. If he goes back to the old ways, fine, you win. But until that time he is just a guy trying to do better.