The Big Picture: Mailbag

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Hoo, high school is a touchy subject with him it seems. I enjoyed the rest of the episode, but that ending bit left it a bit sour with me. Every time he starts getting really 'angry' about high school, the first thought to pop into my head is "get over it."

Maybe I was lucky or something else, but I really enjoyed high school, and I was certainly a "nerd." Hell, I liked going to school, it meant I could be around my friends and not have to put up with my parents fighting. Then again, I went to a private high school, so there's likely a side of high school I simply don't know.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
If you honestly think High School was "hell", then you were doing it wrong and you seriously need to get over it. Life in general is what you make it, there are good things and there are bad things, and pretty much the only thing we have control over is how we interpret and react to these things.

Bob has whined about "the popular" kids before and then as now it just seems like a lame attempt to make himself feel better about not being one of "them". The sad part is, that there really isn't a "them". The grass always looks greener but in the end we were all just teenagers with varying degrees of awkwardness and problems.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I disagree with that high school comment. Call me a liar, but great times abound mark my high school run. Maybe I just have a great group of friends, or maybe I just haven't succumbed to the ocean of poor grades others around me seem to fall into, but I never found it to be the hellish meat grinder some people paint it as.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I always assumed the attitude of 'LOL France are losers' was due to the big middle finger Charles De Gaul gave the US by, among other things, leaving NATO not too long after the US liberated the country after the one war France completely lost. In WW2 France (and Britain and all other nations in the area) got their ass kicked swiftly in what had been expected to be a protracted and at least evenly matched fight, to the point that half the country was conquered and the other half gave up. Thanks to De Gaul's anti-American nationalism, the US's public opinion might have remembered that last humiliating defeat and forgot the millennium and a half of France being a force to be feared (helped of course by the fact that the US didn't exist for most of that time, combined with the US's tendency to file historical events under either "happened to us or with us" or "unimportant").

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
Bob, I'm writing that last one down for when I ever have kids. They won't believe me or probably even listen, but at least I'll know what to say.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I loved High School, and I was (am) a total dweeb, who made friends with many other dweebs, and did my best to be nice to everyone I could.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Seriously, you used "patriarchy" in one of your videos? Besides that fictional nature of that concept you seemed to imply that males deserved to be portrayed as idiots which it not cool.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
best time of my life was in high school... <.<

Also helps that my High School is Fiorello H. LaGuardia, i.e. full of art kids! i.e. no jocks

Still prefer it over my college years. go figure that engineering isn't a girl friendly major like Art was... >.>

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Wow that was creepy. My laptop crashed right after he read "are you actually evil?"

theguru

Sep 24, 2011
In all honesty, in our modern age of media fear-mongering, post-9/11 paranoia, and teen suicide a modern day, relevant Superman movie has never been more possible.