The Big Picture: Man of Tomorrow

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Man of Tomorrow

MovieBob gives us a spoiler laden look into the latest Superman movie Man of Steel.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Bob, you say that it was wrong for Superman to kill one person and that it will open the door for Superman killing his other enemies.

But the complaints I've heard online is that he killed WAY more people when he had that DBZ fight with Zod at the end of the movie and by not even trying to save them from falling buildings and debris, it made him seem more heartless than just killing Zod.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I have found that the big issue with a lot of people and this movie is they keep trying to make it exactly the same as the comics. Yes it is superman but it is its own universe with its own rules and different characters who have developed differently. If you wanted a play by play of how it went down in the comics just read the comics the whole point of a re-imagining is that things are different. Superman and Lois Lane don't need to get together or even like each other why... because it isn't the comics and that is ok just you can't go in with too many preconceived notions.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Bob, you say that it was wrong for Superman to kill one person and that it will open the door for Superman killing his other enemies.

But the complaints I've heard online is that he killed WAY more people when he had that DBZ fight with Zod at the end of the movie and by not even trying to save them from falling buildings and debris, it made him seem more heartless than just killing Zod.
The collateral damage he causes in the cartoons and comics will have killed people. Can't imagine that wouldn't be the case.

Why not just write it as he felt so bad about killing Zod that subsequently NEVER do it again? Seems like an easy enough out.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Gotta say. Didn't find Superman to be mopey and dreary in this. The problem I had with the movie is that they should have done away with one or two flashbacks in favor of spending time with the Clark of now. What we see of Clark is usually pretty upbeat, he's pretty social, he jokes occasionally, but we mostly just see him fighting or flashbacks to his father telling him to stay hidden. It's impossible to say Superman was too dark when we never got to see him outside of the dark situations that he kept getting put into.

I do agree with the Superman shouldn't kill thing, though. I mean, he already knows of one way to strip Zod of his newfound power, they did it to him when they were on the ship! And at least one ship wasn't disappeared at the end of that movie.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
What if Man of Steel was all a brilliant misdirect and what we were seeing was the beginning of the Superman from the Justice Lords aka the corrupt, fascist Justice League? Making the viewers care about Lord Superman and watch his decline into a tyrant who easily kills people could set the whole thing up for a massive twist when the actual Justice League shows up.

No, I don't expect that to happen. I just kind of wish it would. Read a review about Man of Steel about all the things Superman does that Superman shouldn't and it just made me sad. Skipping this movie.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
The buildings were crumbling all over the place when he punches Zod all over the place, you're telling me he didn't kill ANYONE else ?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Ive yet to see it. But i think Superman should be conflicted about killing. Like its the last possible thing he would do to solve a situation if he couldn't imprison a guy. But the difference is comics to common sense. Even when someone looks at Batman, you think, just kill Joker....how many people has Joker killed, gets locked up yet kills again. A normal person would think "you know what, Joker is always going to kill and escape, better off killing him" Joker can not be changed to be a normal member of the public.

I guess this stuff works better in comics than movies. Comics are ongoing, a movie is 90 minutes - we expect an end and we expect justice. Movies and comics are always going to be different. cos a movie is a closed thing. You expect a start and an ending. In comics, this is not the case.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Honestly I despised this movie and everything it stands for. Dollars over screenplay Summer crap. Even among Blockbusters it was badly written. It was a mish mash of the first two movies, but every scene that was shared was worse in this one than those two.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Wait, Superman kills Zod? That's not right. Superman doesn't kill.
I was equally confused. I always found the 'do not kill' rule to be utterly stupid, but it's now so integrated into the character that removing it seems..Bizarre. I mean, heck, is BATMAN the traditional 'good guy' now of the future Justice League?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The problem with making a sequel to Man of Steel, in my opinion, is twofold.

One, the fact that it was directed by Zach Snyder to be a visual masterpiece and very little else makes it a really hard act to follow. Hell, I'm still confused as to how they're going to make a sequel to 300; I enjoyed the film, but I don't think I can handle any more men in leather underwear spinning around in slow motion. The thing that makes sequels possible, in my opinion, is a feeling that the world has not been explored enough, but when the first film is so focused on visuals, you don't get the kind of depth that you'd get from something like Star Wars, which looked good but also left its audience wondering about where their characters would go next, and what else the galaxy had to offer.

And that's the second thing, I don't think the characters have anywhere to go now. Krypton is destroyed, all the Kryptonians except Kal are dead, Lois already knows that Clark Kent is Superman, and everyone already agrees that Superman is a good guy. Superman himself has already gone through the Spider-man arc (gets cool powers, father figure dies, great power, great responsibility, kills someone and feels bad about it, gets the girl, etc.), and he's already broken Batman's one rule, so that arc is out. There's really nothing left for Superman to do, and there's really no one left to stand in his way. And, because of the previous problem, there needs to be something big going on in order for a sequel to be made about it.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Superman shouldn't kill, but the point is he regretted killing zod only because he was forced to do it. This could be the way the sequal could work with him questioning his own morality, and maybe he shouldn't be superman to prevent him from becoming a monster like Zod only to face his fears and become a hero to save the day.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I wish they'd go with some kind of Justice Lord-esque continuity, that would be a ballsy move.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Sorry, Bob. I have to disagree. That scene worked. It was legitimately one of the best scenes in the movie.

I think the problem is you're viewing it through the Comic Guy glasses. For people who didn't have the background in Superman, the movie didn't need to tell us that Superman doesn't kill. We got that. Spelling it out would have just made it obvious it was going to happen. Presented as it was, it had the emotional weight the writers were looking for while still being shocking because it was unexpected.

It Worked. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it was one of the only threads that did work in the movie.

As to where the franchise can go from here? Lots of places. That moment could become the reason for his creed in later movies. He has killed and it scarred him, so now he doesn't kill any more.

Don't fault one of the best scenes in the movie just because it presented Superman in way different from image you had in mind.