The Big Picture: MovieBob's Junk Drawer

SapphireD910

Dec 24, 2010
Oh man. Dolphins do do some nasty awful things. It's sad that that's one of the greatest connections to humans and human intelligence... is that they have the decision making capabilities to do awful pointless things. Especially the Bottle-Nosed Dolphin. In fact, it's the only breed I really hear all this nasty stuff about.

Nintendo is getting a new console? Of course they are. I was just getting settled with a good collection of Wii games (there's only so few I even like for the Wii really), and I have to get bit in the butt someway, just like with most of Nintendo's releases. I've just skipped some of their tech, like the Gamecube, most of these new DS models. It's just a given... they don't work that hard on the games, recycling franchises mostly, they just turn out the new tech every few years.

If the games don't get better, then it kind of makes getting the new expensive console for them a big waste. Especially if there's no backwards compatibility. Gimmicks only hold people so long. Only half or less of the Wii's games even utilize the motion controls anymore.

snd_dsgnr

Feb 14, 2009
Why exactly is it a foregone conclusion that Nintendo's next console will dominate sales like the Wii has? The Gamecube if memory serves had a Mario game, a Zelda game, a Metroid game, a Smash Bros game, and was generally a pretty big failure. It's not even as if we're talking about ancient history either, that was just the previous console generation.

If software sales are any indication a significant number of people who own a Wii have bought very few games for the console. Why are we to take it as a given that all or most of those customers will be repeat buyers of a device that they may not have actually used all that often?

I own a DS, but have no plans to purchase a 3DS. I own a Wii, but probably wouldn't purchase a new motion controlled console if that's the route they take. I very much doubt that I'm alone in those sentiments.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
HankMan said:
The Joker of the Sea?
I'm not sure weather that ruined dolphins for me, or made made them that much more awesome.
I also still like the Simpsons.
Hm, who wants to see that put on a Tshirt? I know I do.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
gphjr14 said:
Probably about as close to a killer dolphin movie you're gonna get.

Also been nice if you rapped last weeks episode up early You pretty much could've summed up Vick as a horrible person who is overpaid and undeserving of his wealth instead of ranting about a game cover and an industry based on physical prowess not ethics.
You realize that poster was IN the video right?

OT: What was that bit with Lex Luther vs. Forrest Gump? I didn't understand what that had to do with anything?

Other than that. I really liked this episode. MovieBob, you get a lot of bile around here.....but I like you. You're entertaining and informative, but not preachy or pretentious.

...Unlike that new "Jim Sterling" guy. God, that video was atrocious....
Yup still don't change that's about as close as you'll get. Unless you count those "When Animals Attack" shows. What would make for an even better movie would be killer hippos since you're more likely to get bitten in half by a hippo in Africa than a croc or lion who both fear the lax behemoth.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
"Dolphins are the joker of the ocean" i will never forget that line. :) that just plain makes me laugh souly on the idea that such a sentence has almsot no reason to be uttered by any human being ever...and it just did.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
I wonder if that guy I knew in college every submitted his screenplay "Battle-Nose Dolphins: Fins of Rage!"

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
A nice fun grab bag:

Trump for prez: Why not? America needs someone with expecience in filing bankrupcy. He might have a shred of credibility if he wasn't fronting that birther crap.

Nintendo: I refuse to speculate as all speculation at this point is wishing and random guessing.

Taco Bell: Sounds tastey, but aren't tacos messy enough without getting cheese dust all over you?

Simpsons: Usually funny once, but rarely merits reruns anymore.

PSP: Considering the system's on life support right now, do we really care how it's marketed? Besides, I can't enjoy both? It's 2011 now. A lot fewer people have to make that hard choice we used to.

GI Joe director: ......sorry, I hada mental blue screen of death at the thought of that.

TF2 script: That excuse might have worked better for the first one, which was bland and cliched, but at least cohereant. The sequal was a horrible mess of mixed up ideas.

Evil brilance: thankfully those aren't the only two choices.

90s: highs and lows, but more lows overall.

Dolphins: Simpsons did it. Sorry can't resist. While probably not the dumbest idea I've ever heard, I'd lose faith in a villan that could be done in by tuna nets.

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
I must say, I usually watch Bob just to be amused at all the nerd-rage... I usually can't stand the somewhat elitist and geek-snobbishness of his actual opinions, but I like hearing them 'cause the vitriol amuses me. This episode, however, I actually genuinely liked. Maybe it's just that I can better agree with Bob when it's abbreviated bursts of opinion, rather than being bludgeoned over the head with it.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
G.I. Joe 2: Just tell me that they're not going to keep Chunning Tanum's pitiful career afloat and reuse him. Otherwise, my expectations are otherwise nonexistent. If we are to go by the last film, then serious is a long way off for this franchise. Now considering Mr. Beiber-Bio is behind it, well, good luck. I suppose that answers my first part though: Chuanauanning Tantam is definitely in if the director did a Step Up movie and Bieber's movie. And I bet there will be a dance off with Cobra Commander. Dance. Off.

Transformers 2: The first one sucked because the Decepticons manipulated time to bring the future, Transformer's 2 writers, back to write the first. All of this was still during the writer's strike in the future, which is why they rushed both films. This was done because obviously if there's a Transformer's sequel Bay wants those guys to write the first one so that it succeeds to have a sequel!

The 90's: Agree completely, they sucked. But think about it: Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Y2K... things weren't so hot back then. Only thing that was good was the N64...

Wii II (or WII): Yes, it will do amazingly, but I won't like it because Nintendo will go for the gimmicks over making the N64 era of Nintendo look like a weak joke. Nope, that'll never happen again (sadface).

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I have a couple things to say...

1) On the Sony guy's comment about no adult playing gameboys, that's BS. If you grew up in the 90's when the gameboy was big, then its completely understandable to go back for nostalgia.

2) Killer dolphins would be awesome, partly because pretty much everyone thinks they're cute. There's even a sudo-cult-thing based on the magical powers of dolphins.

3) I think the best thing Sony can do with the PSP is not to market it different, but make it so I can't hack it in the first couple weeks of owning it. Also release more games

theravensclaw

Oct 13, 2010
darthmocha said:
Does the George C. Scott movie from the 1970's, Day of the Dolphin, count as a killer dolphin movie?

I mean part of the premise, in all seriousness I could not make this up, is that the dolphins are trained to carry out political assassinations with underwater mines.

Seriously read through comments to see if anyone would bring this up. the movie is dull as hell but yeah it IS a killer dolphin movie technically

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
gphjr14 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
You realize that poster was IN the video right?
Yup still don't change that's about as close as you'll get. Unless you count those "When Animals Attack" shows. What would make for an even better movie would be killer hippos since you're more likely to get bitten in half by a hippo in Africa than a croc or lion who both fear the lax behemoth.
Oh okay right. Thought you might not have noticed.

How would you work "Drunk frat kids" into an African Hippo movie? I mean, There's GOTTA be drunk frat kids. It's like a tacit rule of the genre....

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Dude there is only room in my life for one large man who rants(beside myself of course) and that is you Bob old friend. I share many of your opinions and I like the way you provide a why for your opinions.

Keep it up man this is primo entertainment!

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Good job there Bob, Movie Bob. Another good episode as far as I'm concerned. Consequently, Just thought I'd leave this here. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3323070/Killer-dolphins-baffle-marine-experts.html Dolphins are the Hannibals of the sea, apparently. Thanks for the heads up Bob. I can now cram this information into the faces of my idiot stoner friends when they claim that dolphins are as intelligent as us, and maybe smarter because they don't make war on each other, or other species.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Hey Bob, I wasn't going to say anything about the "90's Suck" thing. I assumed you had a number of good reasons, thanks for clarifying that it was subjective. P.S I also think the Simpsons is well worth watching.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
The Simpsons is NOT still funny, it stopped being funny precisely between seasons 13 and 14. I actually took the time to go back and pinpoint exactly when I started finding the show alot less funny and that was when it happened for me. It went from witty clever humor to complete moron drivel that caused me nothing but rage at how mind blowingly un-funny it became.

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
i dont get the idea of simpsons being less funny, simpsons are still great to me and i do remember a treehouse of horror about the dolphins lol, man that made me think when you said about them being the joker of the sea, great vid