The Big Picture: Mr. Mario Goes To Hollywood

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I think Mario has to be a cartoon for one simple reason so Mario can jump, in a live action movie you can break the laws of nature but you have to say how or why it happened in cartoons we'd easily accept a talking dinosaur or a Italian plumber jumping 5 times his height. The same is not true of live action and you would end up with some kind of stupid jump boot just to give Mario his iconic jump. Plus it'd look weird as hell to have a live action man floating up ten feet in the air every time he jumped.

Spyre2k

Apr 9, 2013
I am rather skeptical about a lot of the old golden age games getting turned into movies because quite frankly not much happens in them. They have very shallow story lines, such as princess gets kidnapped and hero goes to save them. But everything else that happens along the way it typical video game mechanics of jumping, puzzle solving, and fighting bad guys.

You mention a lot of great fantasy and scifi movies that have been made as an example, but those were already fairly fleshed out stories which were already good. Some others, such as Guardians of the Galaxy, were mostly just a collection of characters and a universe that they could play around in to make their own story. But the difference between that and a game is it exist in a world where people do "normal" things more akin to real life and not a video game. As most video games involve the hero running down long corridors to find something then possible back tracking to take a fork in the road so they can go down another corridor that was locked and only opens after the player got an item.

People have been playing many of those gold age franchises for a while now and are use to inhabiting the world they are a part of. As you said you have already seen lots of cutscenes and I think a lot of people are the same way. A movie that tries to stay really true to the game would likely end up just being a really long cutscene.

When it comes to movies they need to apply to a wider audience since I don't think the fans of that franchise are likely to be enough of a target audience. Also given that it is a movie with an actual story you would need more motivation with the characters than simply Bowser shows up and kidnaps the princess because it's his thing.

Also Mario is from our world and the Mushroom Kingdom is a fairly magical place. I've seen breakdowns of mario's abilities and quite frankly he is more on par with a superhero breaking bricks with his fist, being able to jump 6 feet tall obstacles, and etc.

Others like Metroid are about the same. Samus runs around a base in a super suit collecting parts to gain access to deeper sections of the base and kill tougher enemies until she defeats the final boss. It's something more akin to an action movie and don't see much new here that hasn't already been done in the dozen of A & B movies done about people trapped in a remote location with alien threat other than it would be in Metroid universe.

Zelda is very much the typical video game mechanic universe. Go to several different locations to collect pieces of the Tri-force and then once combined it breaches Gannon's protection spell so that you can finally face him. Which is fun to do in a game but not so fun to watch in a movie with someone else doing it.

The other limitation is time, games have a lot of time to stretch out the story for a slow build up. But most movies are 90-120 minutes long and I see most game movies as being the same. Getting an epic 3 hours movie like just one of the LOTR films is likely going to be a hard sell to Studios who still likely see games as more for kids and thus want a shorter run time to appeal to families with kids.

So far I've seen several movie adaptations of games and many of them break quite a bit from their game having little in common other than the names. I can't recall a single great video game movie that I've seen or one that actually did really well at the box office.

Here is a list of all the "game" movies that come to mind off the top of my head. Dungeons and Dragons (2 movies), Super Mario Brothers, Blood Rayne, Dungeon Siege (3 Movies), Final Fantasy (Awesome CGI for the time but meh story), Doom, Mortal Kombat (2 movies, 1st one had some good fight scenes), Wing Commander, Resident Evil (OMG I lost count of how many they have made and don't follow either but hear the movie has it's own universe completely divergent from the games), Tomb Raider (2 Movies? Had some Cool action scenes but meh story), Street Fighter (Cult classic for how bad it was and great one liners "For you the day Bison Graced your village was the most important day of your life but for me it was a Tuesday"), and so on.

I know there are likely more but that's all I can recall at this time. None of which I would really want to go and watch again the way I do with a lot of other great movies. Most I saw only once and then promptly let fade from memory.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
marioandsonic said:
Was that jab at the 90s really necessary? Or that much more hatred for Amazing Spider-Man?

Anyway...as great as it would be to have a Mario Bros movie that doesn't suck, I don't see it happening. But it does figure that Mario is getting another shot at the big screen.

There's also reports of a Sonic movie in the works that's supposedly is going to be aiming to be darker and gritter with a PG-13 rating. Good lord, please shoot me...
There is always room for a little more hatred towards amazing spiderman movies.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
Don't get me wrong I loved playing Mario growing up, I had the Super-Mario All-Stars for SNES, so I played the original, 2, 3, World, etc I also loved Super Mario 64 ... but never once did I think "This needs to be a movie!"

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Okay, yes, the Super Mario Bros movie was financially a flop, okay, yes, it wasn't that big a hit for most people. However, I have run into way too many people who say, "I don't care, I still liked it", plus the tale of executive meddling behind the scenes, and I just can't hate it. As well, for as much as I went into Amazing Spider Man 1 expecting to hate it, I enjoyed it enough to rent the second and watch it the same night. Liked them both, probably in part due to my major exposure to Spider Man being the Tobey Maguire movies, so, didn't really have years of comics baggage weighing them down.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I kinda get what you're saying about Guardians. I do think it's silly to underestimate how far blockbuster movie audiences are willing to suspend their disbelief at this point. However, Bradley Cooper didn't get into a raccoon suit for that movie. While it wasn't an 'animated' feature, the part you refer to in trying to defend the idea of the Mario Brothers in live action was computer generated.

ChroniclerC

Oct 30, 2009
I think a lot of people have said this by now, but I think it bears repeating. The iconic visage of Mario and his supporting cast have lately moved more and more toward the cartoony, and the games' premises, setpieces, and basic ideas are similarly absurd. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to make a good live-action Mario movie, but it would be a lot more difficult and have a much higher threshold of failure. Which is to say, a live-action Mario movie would have to be perfect, whereas an animated Mario movie could get away with just being good.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
A live action Kirby film could really work well as a Godzilla knock-off, and I will fight anyone on that[footnote]Well, in terms of words or through speech. I'm frail as fuck IRL[/footnote].

Spyre2k

Apr 9, 2013
lord.jeff said:
I think Mario has to be a cartoon for one simple reason so Mario can jump, in a live action movie you can break the laws of nature but you have to say how or why it happened in cartoons we'd easily accept a talking dinosaur or a Italian plumber jumping 5 times his height.
Well they could just do the John Carter of Mars type thing, since Mushroom Kingdom is basically another world. While I think that movie was only passable I think they did a good job of making it seem believable that someone from a higher gravity world would be able to jump really high and lift things normal people of that world could not. That could account of Mario's superior jumping and strength. But as for everything else it would be a stretch.

The flowers for fire balls the closest thing I can think of if Farscape it was established the fuel used in their blaster pistols was an oil that came from a type of plant grown on farming world, and i think it was a type of flower. They could have a glove style fire ball thrower which is fueled by the flower oil.

But some how I feel like I'm putting in more effort to ground things so they would match the game and the movie than most of the writers do for those movies.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'd be really impressed if someone pulled this off. Mario's main selling point is the joy of playing as him. He's fun to control and does some pretty neat stuff, but take that away and what do you have? Good luck finding anyone who will praise a Mario game for being a narrative masterpiece. He's just so gamey that I can't see him having any sort of appeal if you remove the "game" element.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
I have too ask what's the big deal with Bob constantly using Rocket Racoon as a big 'they did this in live action'?

We had a live action Yogi bear, 3 chipmunk films and everyone remembers 'who framed roger rabbit' which is more violent and 'gritty' than GotG.

Seriously if you did not cringe when the shoe got dipped you have no soul.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
I have too ask what's the big deal with Bob constantly using Rocket Racoon as a big 'they did this in live action'?

We had a live action Yogi bear, 3 chipmunk films and everyone remembers 'who framed roger rabbit' which is more violent and 'gritty' than GotG.

The important part of the point about GoTG is "biggest film of the year in North America". The other films you mentioned had various degrees of success, but GoTG was HUGE.

CulexVanda

Dec 20, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC84A55C38AEFDC4
if a bunch of random people on youtube can do a live action Brawl series,
then some studio can do a SMB Movie

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
WarpedLord said:
P-89 Scorpion said:

The important part of the point about GoTG is "biggest film of the year in North America". The other films you mentioned had various degrees of success, but GoTG was HUGE.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was the 2nd highest grossing film in the USA back in 1988 when it came out, try again :).

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The problem as I see it, is that the people that would make the movie don't understand that content. For example, look at the last Ninja Turtles. One reason why the Marvel movies have been so good is that the people making the movies (writers, directors, producers) all get the material, mostly due to the fact that Marvel is so involved. So what made them successful in the first place is still intact.

You look at that trailer for the original SMB movie, it's just a bunch of stuff happening. Granted it's Mario Brothers so it's not Shakespeare, but there is an underlining theme behind the games that makes them so popular even after all of this time. Most of Hollywood will come in and try to change that to what the current market is hot for right now.

Why do video game movies fail, because they are never true to the video game that they are. It's like the very thing that made them popular isn't good enough for Hollywood because they're "just video games". Why can't I just see the plot of Halo, Mass Effect, or Half-life up on screen?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
gerardy said:
Further complicating this, the central premise of a Mario game is that he's a guy who goes around and jumps on creatures, smashing them into oblivion while making a "Whoo Hoo!" noise.
I think this is by far the biggest problem with the idea of a Mario film. All those other fantasy films Bob mentions have one very important point in common - there's a story that someone wanted to tell. Comic book movies are all some kind of adaptation of a story that has already been written. Same for Lord of the Ring, same for Harry Potter and Narnia. And the original ones like Willow were original stories that happened to be set in some sort of fantasy universe. Mario does have a story, all it has is a charcater. And a character with very little actual characterisation. Where all the films mentioned above involve someone wanting to create a new story or adapt and existing one, Mario has little more than people saying "This guy is famous, let's try to make a film out of him somehow".

Of course that doesn't mean that someone can't come up with a good story to fit him in, but such a story would have to stand on its own merits and could just as easily be made without Mario being involved at all. Combine that with the good point that a live action Mario really can't look or behave in the same way as the Mario people actually know, and what exactly would the point be?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The Mario and generally most Nintendo games have been focused purely on mechanics and art style. Trying to make a movie out of those strengths is a poor allocation of resources.

Yes, games and movies are both electronic media but that doesn't mean what works for games will work for movies. The plot and/or setting of Mario is ridiculously shallow. There's no enough there to make a movie with without doing a new origin or establishing something new with the setting - then it won't be Mario anymore, will it?

Mario doesn't need a movie. It's always been about the mechanics, not the story.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
At the risk of being accused of shamelessly plugging my YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXBXD7ZLLF0zMBiueEJ2sw33d2XmBgK4d], my Let's Play colleague actually worked on the special effects for the Mario Bros. movie. He recounts his experiences here (seek to 31:46):

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Oddly, that trailer made me more slightly interested than any other Mario product to date. Perhaps I ought to see it one day.

Of course, that is part of the problem. I don't have any investment in Mario as a character or a franchise. The only Nintendo-product I've owned in my life is an old PEZ-dispencer somewhere. Any potential Mario film should not set their sights on me, but on an audience already present. But then again, they ought to know by now.