The Big Picture: Ninetiestalgia Stinks

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Aww man, I wish I watched The Critic back when it aired, looking back on old clips of it, it seemed SO funny! Then again, I would probably have been too young for this kind of show.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
My favorite bit was when Jay was at Career Day at Marty's school at the UN, and Marty was eating in the kids' cafeteria when a food fight broke out.

First time food goes flying past the France table: "We surren-dehr!"
And Marty's all like "we'll be safe once we reach the Swiss table!"

Looking back on that show, though, it's hard to listen to Marty without recalling Chuckie, or Dexter.

At any rate, I still like Futurama the best of all the adult-primetime animated shows. Strikes the right balance between the sharp humor of The Simpsons and the edgy social satire of Family Guy, without the abundance of fart and dick jokes.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
synobal said:
Eric the Orange said:
synobal said:
Korten12 said:
synobal said:
Dude drop the 90s we get it you hate it and wish you hadn't been born then.
Uhh.... What? This episode wasn't even about how the 90's sucked. Did you even watch it?

No I came here first to complain about this 90s month stuff. I'm not feeling it.
So what your saying is that you commented on this episode without watching it. Or at least made a comment that's not specifically about this episode...

You may not know this but that's against the rules of conduct.
Then I'll get a warning for it, don't rules Nazi especially when you consider that you're just adding to any possible derailment of this thread by continuing the discussion.

I still stand by my comment though I don't like this 90s month stuff, it's just not interesting. I wish he'd get back to ya know movie stuff.
The Big Picture isn't about "movie stuff" it's about stuff he wants to talk about. Also Bob was born in the 80's, like in 81.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I completely forgot about that show, even though i watched it years after it first aired. I definitely have seen them all and I think I'm gonna watch them all... despite all the shit I have to do.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Never watched the show. Because A. it was about a film critic. B. It had Jon Lovitz in it. My definition of a man who's great at doing absolutely nothing. And if he does something in a vague film or TV show you wish to god he hadn't.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
goddamn Game Critic review score they force Jay to use. You also do realize you need to do episodes based around Simpsons clones now, right?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Bob, I tend to agree with you on most matters, or at worst I respect your opinion even if I might not support it since you tend to present it in a reasonable way. But don't you DARE talk shit about THE FISH POLICE!
*ahem* Sorry about that, not sure what happened there. Good episode, carry on.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
I only saw a few glimpses of it when it first aired so I naturally never got into it.

As a huge Simpsons fan (hell, my name gives that away), I've always been tempted to watch it, so I finally decided to see the pilot just now and, yeah, it's really funny.

I'm here to report that it's VERY Simpsons with a lot of the same voice actors and, like Bob said, cutaway jokes without the absurdity of Family Guy.

I legit lol'd several times. Give it a shot if you like The Simpsons. I found the first episode on youtube.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I loved this show and lamented its quick demise. I was 19 when it first aired and pretty much ate up anything animated. I actually liked it better than The Simpsons. Oh well, I guess there's always the DVDs.

"Thank you, Jay. After I die, you can eat my brain. It will give you power."

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Triaed said:
"A Star is Bourns"
Also famous for giving birth to the term "Boo-urns!"
And

MowDownJoe said:
"A Star is Burns". He mentioned it in the video.

And I loved The Critic. Kinda sad it didn't last as long as it could've.

Thanks to both of you. Dang. Not streaming on Netflix!

I recall enjoying it. After watching this, I kinda want to revisit the series.
Thanks again.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Film Critics fall into three categories:

1. The Film School Washout - Not being able to hack it in the Film Industry, they turn to the only thing that could save them grace - critiquing other people's films. Nothing is good unless it is an independent that will bore most mainstream audiences.

2. The Studio Pen - They are critics that are secretly paid to write good reviews for a particular studio while trashing films from other studios.

3. The Weekly Watcher - May know nothing about film and story composition, but has been giving his/her opinion about films since doing the film reviews in High School newspapers. He/She is qualified to be a critic just by the shear number of films they've watched.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bob, THANK YOU for talking about the Critic, I loved it as a kid. I rediscovered it on Comedy Central back when they had a late-night animation block (and cartoons other than South Park) and got the DVD box set with both seasons! 18 years later and it's still funny. I was 10 when I first saw it, and I was into a lot of cable-original animated series, despite not getting what the hell was going on in them. Perhaps you can talk about MTV's toons, next?

Ooh! I just remembered Duckman! That was on USA first, then Comedy Central.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Korten12 said:
synobal said:
Dude drop the 90s we get it you hate it and wish you hadn't been born then.
Uhh.... What? This episode wasn't even about how the 90's sucked. Did you even watch it?
Also, Bob was clearly not born in the 90s as he's constantly talking about his nostalgia for the 80s.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I agree with Bob on the shorts.
"IF" the show ever gets revived, I'd perfectly happy if they brushed them aside and just went on from where season 2 left off.
PS: I think I actually started watching the critic because of all the references Bob was making to it.
So, cheers I guess.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
You make referenses in this show??
I guess ignorance is bliss after all xD

Fun episode thou!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
synobal said:
I still stand by my comment though I don't like this 90s month stuff, it's just not interesting. I wish he'd get back to ya know movie stuff.
You're in luck! He does that every Friday.

Anywho, I never really got into The Critic, though that's mostly because I never really watched television all that much. It does seem amusing enough though, and I'll take the DVD recommendation under advisement.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Oh, The Critic! One of my favorite TV series of all time. I'm glad you talked about this, Bob. I hope it will get more people to see it.

GreenTeaGal

Apr 19, 2011
I adored this show. I was barely a teenager when I started watching it but I totally dug it, whether or not I immediately got the references. If anything, it taught me stuff about NY I would otherwise have been too young to care about. I always wondered why it didn't fair better ratings wise when Family guy / Seinfeld did so well. I think it was ahead of it's time.