The Big Picture: Ninetiestalgia Stinks

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
synobal said:
Dude drop the 90s we get it you hate it and wish you hadn't been born then.
Dude, he's talking about a tv series, which is well within his normal line of work on the big picture. There's a reason that one guy said you'll get a warning and that's because no human being could get "bob hates the nineties" from this episode.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
piscian said:
Yeah I used to watch it when I was a kid with my dad. We just really loved Jon Lovitz and the show turned out to be really smart. Sort of an anti-comedy. I'm sad no one here will remember it but me. Oldest viewer win. Lol you just reminded me of the time he can't understand her. I said maah priiide.."Your prode?" "Mahh priiide". Being from kentucky I thought that was hilarious. I never got the Ted turner reference until you mentioned it. I was too young for that stuff. yeah I've got the DVD set. Yes I'm also in the camp that thought the simpsons lost a lot of gas after those guys left. I miss the tongue in cheek jokes you gotta think about or rewind to get. Simspons just got so blatant with every joke these days they just scream the punch line at you like Adele's singing.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. "no one here will remember it but me?" I think not buster. I'm five years younger than you are and I LOVED that show. Used it catch it in reruns on Comedy Central along with Duck Man. Just because you are older doesn't mean your the only one that has seen the best that animated comedy has to offer. (This is all joking, not really getting pissy, promise ^_^)

I miss this show. I often wonder where it would have gone if it hadn't been shot down long before its time, though I kinda gotta figure trying to bring it back through shorts wasn't a good idea. Some things are just meant to be left alone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
May I asked you about the Fish Police then? I used to watched that show and loved it.

The Critic on the other hand I never really watch it properly other than that crossover episode and I think one of the season 2 episodes (I remember that new love interest character abit).

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
"I can put you in touch with a man who can help you. A man named El Kabong."

I miss the hell out of this show. And not the web shorts WHICH NEVER HAPPENED.

Skaven252

Apr 7, 2010
Another great from the 90s: Duckman. I hope yo'll have time to take a musing look at that too!

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Never heard it of the Critic.. and only saw like 4 episodes of The Simpsons.
It's just isn't on TV here, atleast not on the channels I watch >_> So this episode was not very interesting for me personally.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
When I was a kid, I didn't "get" The Critic, I was more interested on anything Canal 5 (local channel), Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon was airing back then, maybe somewhere along the lines of Rocko's Modern Life, TMNT or Dragon Ball (God bless the uncensored version we got), I admit it was kinda amusing, but I wasn't a fan of it when I was a kid.

Fast forward a few years later and an obscure anime channel named Locomotion popped up with every single episode of The Critic (along with Cowboy Bebop, Ren & Stimpy, Aeon Flux, Duckman and South Park), I was already a teenager back then (circa 2001~2002) and it was hilarious and I loved it.

And seriously Bob, you need to make a Swat Kats episode sometime, or at least an episode about antropomorphic heroes from the 90's (still waiting for Street Sharks too).

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I LOVED this damn show. The Critic and MST3K were... critical in developing my love-hate relationship with all media.

And yes, that crossover episode was awesome

THough what's this about gambling debts? Oh wait I get it you were making references to redlett--

AngryGamer

Mar 16, 2013
Loved the episode and Loved that Show, Damn i miss Jay...
Can't Wait to see the next and last episode of the 90's Month!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
WHy thank you Bob for showing me this guy, I might have to try and obtain this somehow.

I was probably a little too young to remember this in the 90's, considering I was only two when the decade started.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
I never actually knew this character existed outside of the simpsons :S

But I think I'm going to be trying to find it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I loved the Critic. Mostly because I identified with just how much Jay Sherman hated movies.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Moviebob, if ever I meet you in person, we HAVE to talk about the Critic, and then quote the show in full sentences. I love the Critic.

I used to watch the show when I was very young (I want to say four or five, and it was usually on around the time of the Simpsons, and my parents loved the Simpsons, so I could stay up and watch it). It sort of fueled me and my love for movies very early on. I couldn't get a lot of the jokes, but even at a very young age, I got quite a bit of the movie jokes (Rabbi P.I. is the most prominent joke I could recall from a young age) then I did the more adult jokes. I got the series on DVD when I was 16 (My grandfather bought it for me before he died, too. It's the last gift I got from him) and loved it.

Jon Lovitz is a great actor, singer and above all else, unrealized performer. I wish he'd got more roles in films than the bit role in an Adam Sandler movie he gets thrown every once in a while. In fact, I'm having a stroke of good luck here in the last week, and I found myself humming "Nothing's gonna stop me now" from the episode "Jay & Siskel & Ebert & Alice". Still got it.

The Critic was important to the 90s, even if we didn't really realize its potential at the time, but it was still funny and great to watch, and I'm in the same camp as you that Season 2 wasn't anywhere near as good as Season 1 (Alice, love her to death, she's the only one Jay's ever called a superfreak) but it did have its high points, being that Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert making an appearance after previously panning it on their show was stunning, and still cool to see it happen, although at that point in the series, the animations became incredibly lazy (you could tell when the animators just looped parts after awhile, as evidenced around maybe the last three or four episodes, especially in the final episode clip show).

At the end of the day, I love the Critic. I own the series on DVD and I quote it in spades. Great episode, Moviebob.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
This was a great series! I can only say 'Pro-mo-theus' now... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xslyoK9uobE

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
The title is kinda a lead on that doesn't pay off. Not only that, but you'd have to be a huge fan of the critic to get the reference without say, watching the entire video first. I just got it now, while composing this post.

The video was still interesting, I had always wondered what that show was about. At the time the jokes didn't seem very funny to me (as a 10 year old Canadian kid).

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
In Britain here, I only knew this guy from the Simpsons - I thought he was a parody of some US celebrity. Suddenly that episode makes more sense.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Loved the show, owned the DVD set for ages. (virtual fist bump to Bob)

But enough about that, lets get on with the questions.

Are you prone to having blackouts?

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
i was just thinking about this show yesterday i watched a few episodes on reals channel back when i still payed for cable i wish they would put it on netfilx so i could see every episode. i would say what my favorite part was but you already showed it "good luck blaming this one on me".