The Big Picture: No No Power Rangers

qlangiul

Dec 16, 2013
I'm not excited by a Power Rangers reboot and I am a 90's kid.

I'm not sure I'll even watch it.

My problem is that after I've see this episode of The Big Picture, I can't get that Power Rangers soundtrack out of my head, and it's been a while since I've seen it.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Err does anyone got the link of that super Sentai clip which appear that every Sentai are fighting each other?
It's from Gokaiger I think, it's the Super Sentai equivalent of Super Megaforce (which is airing right now, Tommy will be returning AGAIN...*girly squeal*)

I'm mostly confused as to why it's a reboot seeing as Dino Charge and Dino Super Charge is already set to happen after Super Megaforce, although if this film does link into that like Turbo did, it solves the mystery of why they're skipping straight to referencing Kyoruger and skipping the series before it

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
There's disdain from people who did grow up with it, even former fans. What I am getting at, why I commented in the first place, is that Bob's premise is flawed. Explaining it multiple times to the same end doesn't change that. In fact, I find it curious that you addressed my TMNT comments over...Well, just about everything else, including the exact substance that got at that point.

It's not that I don't understand Bob's point, it's that I don't agree that it's particularly grounded. Bob is overstating the number of people who are looking for a nostalgia boner and then raining on everyone else's parade.

The backlash is not because of that. Not to the extent it's being made out to be, anyway.
Just because there's people who actual don't like this stuff, who grew up with it, doesn't mean that this disdain isn't common.

Try to ignore the Power Rangers aspect of this and take a look at the "big picture" as it were. It's not really about Power Rangers, it's about a generational divide. I've seen many film critics get hung up on stuff like this, and it isn't because they think it's awful (it is awful, but that's not really the point) it's that they have the kind of disdain they might have had when it originally came out in the first place.

The more you focus on this one aspect the less you seem to understand the point of this video.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
My only reaction as a Gen Xer is why so late? I seems like a Power Rangers movie is over due. That said I generally shun most of the Gen Xer targeted movie stuff like movies based on 80s toy lines, and comic movies. I'm with those stuffy film critics who are like "uhg, another toy movie." Though I don't roll my eyes at why people would be excited. But, If I was a Power Rangers fan. I would be thinking, "How are they gonna fuck this up?"

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
VonBrewskie said:
Scars Unseen said:
Wait. You mean the Power Rangers is still a thing? I watched the show when I was a kid back in the 90s but I recognized that it was mostly crap even back then(as opposed to my early childhood shows like the Thundercats, which I didn't realize was crap until I tried to re-watch it years later). I can't believe that show lasted this long.
Whoa. What's that movie you have for an avatar? I love Gundam!
It's from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, a decent enough mecha anime side story to a much better mecha visual novel, Muv-Luv Alternative. The visual novel is one of the best mecha stories I've ever encountered, but since it is a visual novel, you have to read it(but it has Japanese voice acting, so it's kind of like reading a voiced manga).
Awesome! Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. That avatar looks totally BA.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Honestly, when I heard the news, all I could think of was how are they going to fit this movie into the Power Rangers timeline, since the show has managed to be on the air for decades yet still follows a pretty consistent (if quite a bit ridiculous) continuity. I guess it's easy to just write it off as a seperate continuity, a la the Star Trek reboot, which... okay, I guess. Honestly, I think it's pretty cool, if done right. I remember Might Morphin' Power Rangers, even though I didn't watch it all that much... I was more interested in Saban's other show, Digimon! Speaking of which are we ever going to get a major-ish Digimon movie or a world-wide release of a Digimon movie that isn't a cobbled-together mess like "Digimon: The Movie" was?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
daibakuha said:
Just because there's people who actual don't like this stuff, who grew up with it, doesn't mean that this disdain isn't common.
And claming something is a thing with zero evidence doesn't make it true, but you are doing it.

Try to ignore the Power Rangers aspect of this and take a look at the "big picture" as it were.
Did you even read anything I wrote in the last couple of posts? I'm thinking no. Because I already addressed how my comments weren't Power Rangers-focused, and how they could apply at large. I used your examples, I offered larger context. You cannot seriously have read those posts and come to the conclusion that I'm focusing on Power Rangers.

The more you focus on this one aspect the less you seem to understand the point of this video.
I hope this is a generalised statement, because otherwise, it's completely irrelevant.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions. At the end of the day Power Rangers has remained popular enough to go on for 20+ years and spawn tons of spin offs. Another movie based on the IP isn't all that surprising because a lot of people obviously like it.

That said, I can't say I agree with Bob's logic. While Power Rangers can be compared to certain things like GI Joe, He-Man, The Transformers, and other "30 minute toy commercials" that get by on pure nostalgia, you really can't do the same with comics. Yes there have been plenty of trashy comics, and plenty of trash produced under pretty much all the big names and IPs, but at the same time comics have also had a lot of talent involved with them over the years in terms of writing and art, and a lot of the big characters did the multi-generational thing, chances are if your a Gen Xer like me your parents probably know comics to some extent, and Generation Y while fans of "Power Rangers" also tend to have some interest in these characters. It was arguably during the 80s and 90s that comics started to get respect as a more serious medium due to the high quality stuff being done, being objectively good by pretty much any standard, and I think that was a big part of why comics properties started to leak into other kinds of media more and more with the budgets to handle their subject matter correctly. "Power Rangers" is at this point pretty much a single generational thing (Gen Y, with some exceptions), and I generally haven't seen anything done under that label that has lead to acknowledgement of serious talent in writing, directing, artwork/costuming or other things. Indeed the show seems to revel in being absolute garbage as part of the appeal. You just haven't had a "Watchmen" or "Sandman" or "Dark Knight Returns".

Now, before someone jumps on me here, I will also say that at it's core "Power Rangers" isn't worse than any other super hero concept, and indeed is similar to a lot of existing concepts. The idea is basically a bunch of teenagers or young adults being given super powers to battle evils threatening earth, and having to balance the pressures of being kids with the pressures of being heroes. The general issue with the show hasn't really been the premise, but the quality with which it's been done, in theory "Power Rangers" could potentially be re-done with a real budget to work on the concepts and costumes and make it look less cheezy, or course that would possibly ruin a lot of the appeal for some at the same time. This may or may not be where the current movie idea is going. That said I do not think it's likely to see the success of comic movies (though I could be wrong) due to being mono-generational, and what's more while the potential is there I don't think it can be defended the same way comic adaptions and their fans are because so far you just haven't seen anything from "Power Rangers" that has had the community pretty much looking at it and going "okay, well, we have to acknowledge the quality of this work on these levels...". Before anyone who is a serious fan goes "well this was an awesome series" or "this was a really good episode" understand that your typical person, even in geek culture, who isn't a fan to begin with isn't likely to know what your talking about. While it took time to seep in something like say "Watchmen" became acclaimed to the point where even people who didn't know comics or have an
interest in them read it and had to acknowledge it's quality as a piece of work.

Bob's central message is that geeks shouldn't be throwing stones at each other, and I can get behind that, on the other hand I think he took it too far when he brought up things like "Batman" which was around for your grandparents. He probably should have left it with the other disposable pop culture movies. It's far to say that if Transformers got 4 movies, chances are Power Rangers can pull that down too, after all they are kind of the same basic thing, ongoing, reasonably complicated mythologies attached to fairly cheap media properties intended to sell toys. Someone who was psyched about Transformers has no right to be critical of someone for being psyched over Power Rangers, but your going further afield when you say it's the same thing when it comes to things like "The Avengers" which also had people like my dad (a huge Thor fan) to tap into because it went multi-generational, and when it comes to Batman... well, that's been around even longer, and while it's had it's downs and nearly died a few things it's always survived and managed to stay out there with some degree of a fan base.

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
I'm don't really think I understand the sentiments here...

Alright I'm 25, I was a kid when power rangers first started happening I watched several of the seasons and even had a lot of the toys. And then I grew out of it. I pretty definitively "roll my eyes" at the concept of a new movie or really anything else happening regarding the franchise, I wasn't even aware it was still going.

Meanwhile, I have absolutely no background in comics. Seriously in my lifetime I might have picked up and read less than a half dozen comics, and my parents owned a bookstore that sold them so I could pick up any (new) one I wanted for free any time. Yet despite the fact that I only barely know more than the names of most of the characters getting movies right now I am still about as excited to watch most of the movies as I can get for a movie (which isn't all THAT much, honestly). The only ones I'm NOT interested in are the ones that are TOO famous, specifically batman and superman, especially with all the prior bad movies they've gotten.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Take out the vocals and the intro music still kicks ass!

During the time that season 1 was playing, it shared a time slot with Earthworm Jim so I never watched it that much. Still, I remember liking some guy that played a knife-ocarina to summon his... zord? Were they called zords?

...wiki...

Holy shit they are! I can't believe I still remember that, guess I liked the show more than I thought I did.

EDIT:

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
I hope this movie tries to be funny and bring back those 2 bone head bullies.
I doubt this can be serious and dark in any way.
Its color coded teenagers vs Ms. Cone Tits, it doesn't need more elaboration.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
RealRT said:
I loved Power Rangers as a kid, even realizing how cheap and campy it was. But I'm not excited because with current Hollywood fucking up characters like Superman, Power Rangers movie being crap is a foregone conclusion.
This post right here hits the nail on the head. Heck I loved the cheesy goodness of season 1 Power Rangers, but Hollywood is going to fuck it up for money. So no thank you jerks out West you've already beaten my inner child I am not allowing you to touch him anymore.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
bob you continue to use the word Gen-x and I do no think that word means what you think it means. People in their 30's now like you and myself are NOT Gen-xers. We fit in between Gen-x and Millenials called akwardly the Generation Y. Now this is not as thematically pleasing as saying Gen-Xers so I understand why you choose not to associate with it. But face the facts Bob, our generation has the distinction of not being distinct enough to be talked about specifically because of all the consumerism from toy platforms like power rangers that no one talks about us except as the stereotype of the angry geek typing reviews on his computer that no ones cares about.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
I loved OG Power Rangers as a kid. I know most likely this will turn out badly, but I hope I'm wrong. I would love for this is be a good movie. There are so many other things from my childhood I would love to see as a movie. Like Beast Wars not in the hands of Michael Bay, a better Digimon movie for the first 2 seasons, a Batman movie more like the animated series with Harley (Seriously get on that people), and so on.

Also, yay TGWTG was brought up in an Escapist video. Whoot.

Edit:

Ashoten said:
bob you continue to use the word Gen-x and I do no think that word means what you think it means. People in their 30's now like you and myself are NOT Gen-xers. We fit in between Gen-x and Millenials called akwardly the Generation Y. Now this is not as thematically pleasing as saying Gen-Xers so I understand why you choose not to associate with it. But face the facts Bob, our generation has the distinction of not being distinct enough to be talked about specifically because of all the consumerism from toy platforms like power rangers that no one talks about us except as the stereotype of the angry geek typing reviews on his computer that no ones cares about.
Wikipedia says Gen Y and Millennials is the same thing. It could be wrong so just thought I'd point that out.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I loved power rangers as a kid.. i remember racing home every day after a day of annoying school to watch the power rangers.. it was one of my favorite shows for years.. i watched it from the first episode of Mighty Morphin to the last episode of Lost Galaxy and I loved all of it.. the original film was good too.. as fora reboot? i don't know.. as long as retains the humor while still being serious like the original series did.. maybe it will work. They need Bulk,Skull,Ernie, Alpha 5, Zordon,the command center, and Rita Repulsa.. and maybe have a cameo of Lord Zed, post-credits as a tease for a sequel.

Bottom line as long as they have these elements and make it as good as the original series..

..and the first movie...

..then it might do ok.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Good points. Though I've never been a fan of Power Rangers (I was already a Godzilla fan when it hit and it struck even my 1st grader mind as a particularly cheap knockoff) I don't judge people who are. Hope they enjoy the new movie.

As a Rescue Rangers fan though I do roll my eyes thinking about how they'll all look in CGI next to real people though. I hope this gets Disney to finally release the rest of the series.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
Wasn't it funny in the original series that the yellow ranger was a girl, Trini, but the actor wearing the costume was actually a guy? And wasn't it also weird that the actors ethnicity reflected their suit color? (yellow ranger was asian, black ranger was black, etc...) Maybe the show was painfully bad, but I do enjoy squirming in the discomfort of these cheese-laden productions. Can't wait to see it! It's okay to admit you like Power Rangers, Bob.