The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I feel like this show is just giving Bob an outlet to yell about things.

But anyway, I'm sorry that something you truly loved is dormant for now Bob. I personally don't care to much about space exploration, but obviously a lot of people on this site do.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
I think it's important as well. Not because of the nostalgia, but because we need to get of this planet as soon as possible before we blow each other all to shit.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
If the EU united as one single country, we could probably easily get a decent space program running, maybe one that could surpass NASA. But alas, people are too proud to admit that united we stand, divided we fall and the British would want to stay British and the French would want to stay French etc instead of just being European.

Dangerious P. Cats

Dec 21, 2008
I feel kinda depressed that all the world's problems is boiled down to helping the sick and poor when humanity now faces problems of such magnitude that they could destroy civerlisation as we know it, or even all human life. Peak Oil could very well deprive human society of a great many things it bases it's economy on such as fertiliser and pestercide, platics, a vairety of medercines, and all manner of things (fuel being a relativly minor problem). Likewise climate change could alter tempraturesa and weather patterns to the point where food is ungrowable and whole areas are unlivable for humans in only a few decades.

Beyond that why do you even want space travle? Beyond the cool factor what is the functional benifit of going to Mars or the Moon. To be frank colonisation is unlikly within the next hundred years, if not longer, and even if it was what would be the point. The reason this is being cut is that advocates have done little to justify it and policy makers have to ask the question "what is the benifit of this?". Until you can show that space travle is important to people who aren't instantly swayed by the coolness factor it's not going to get funding.

OmegaZXA

Mar 19, 2010
Am I the only one who realizes that video games have already turned this into the next US-War game? Homefront, anyone? You know, where because they lack the means to send up any countermeasures the entire US electrical grid is wiped out by an EMP?

As for the whole "Peace on Earth VS Cities on Mars" bit, let me point out two things. First, the ONLY way to get world peace is to wipe out every racist, sexist, zealot and other group who hates other people; this would be considered genocidal by the humane groups, so unless you're willing to get the electric chair to achieve peace then good luck with that. And if there were colonies on other planets and moons then we could grow more food and create jobs, so that excuse is completely moot.

TheWwwizard

Nov 13, 2010
It makes me sad that space exploration has stopped on even a single front, I remember when I was little and teachers would say stuff like "You can be anything you want, even an Astronaut!" And now every child who might have ever had that dream has been crushed by ignorant fuckery. We have no where to go but forward, and now it just seems like we're happy with becoming stagnant... It bothers me even more that everyone who hears about this seems to not give a single iota of shit.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Therumancer said:
Actually that's not true to be honest. Such arguements are born out of ignorance and a desire to try and defend a liberal-centric view of where resources should be expended. If this is what they are teaching in school, it's no wonder people have lost interest. Between you and Shinji all I can say is "wow".

Okay for starters, we found trace elements of minerals on Mars like Iron with our probes. Enough in the soil and atmosphere to show that the planet is loaded. This is where all of the "martial mining" stuff comes from. Minerals being a very important thing here on earth. Mines are being depleted, and even enviromentally destructive strip mining in places like Africa is going to deplete the supply of mineals in short order, especially given our rapidly expanding population and need.

What's more we've been able to terraform Mars for a while now, indeed I believe that this is where the whole "terraforming" idea came from to begin with (but I'm not sure). I'm no expert on the details, but the bottom line is that ecosystems are fragile, as enviromentalists point out there are literally dozens of ways we could radically change our own enviroment. The foilage in Africa produces a lot of the world's oxygen. If we literally defoliated the area, and a few other places on earth we could pretty much smother all life on earth. We could probably do it inside a week if we wanted to committ racial suicide somehow.

While it's a slow process, scientists more or less understand why the atmospheres of planets like Mars are the way they are (or so I've been lead to believe) due to the probes and such we have there. We could effectively "destroy" the enviroment of mars like any other ecosystem but do it in a way that benefitted us as we slowly intergrated the things we wanted to support life. It could take centuries, but we've apparently had the tools for decades.

As far as comments by guys like Shinji talking about how we might get as far as Jupiter some day, I think in the course of conveying the size of space people exagerrations have leaked into the actual education, which is understandably demoralizing.

Truthfully we already have a degree of cryonic technology and have been in possession of it since those old rumors about Walt Disney. We're pretty close to the point where we can freeze and unfreeze people at will, and that makes sleeper ships a viable possibility. What that means is that not only is reaching every corner of our solar system within the realm possibility (and yes people would volunteer to do such things) already, we could put people into other solar systems if we really wanted to (over a ridiculous period of time).

People are always saying "it's impossible" as an excuse not to try. They are continuously proven wrong. Right now I think it's more or less an attitude born of politics and people obsessed with the short term being unable to see the solutions to their own problems.
It's odd being casually mentioned in giant posts. But to further explain my cynicism regarding space colonisation...

Do I think it's 100% impossible? No, but I certainly don't share the romantic vision that people like Bob seem to have. In order for mankind to even attempt to try and colonize a planet, we would have to change our way of life drastically. And in today's society of gratification at the touch of a button, I don't see that happening for a looong time.

I know everyone loves to dream about colonizing Mars, but Mars no longer has a magnetic field so terra forming would be futile. Even if we found a planet that had a magetic field, an atmosphere and water, it would still take atleast 100 years to research whether or not the planet is actually save enough to sustain us, or that it might hold a few cataclysmic secrets that might bindside us during the 20th generation of our colonisation.

Then there are the health risks posed by space radiation. Eventhough space might seem empty, there's a shit ton of galactic cosmic rays and solar energetic particles storming throughout. The best shielding we have is only partially effective and some shield material actually increases the radiation. Even a healthy man in the prime of his life would stand a 20% chance of dying from cancer simply by traveling through space.

I'm not saying, 'stop exploring space', I'm saying, 'stop manned missions'.

I could give more examples, but for a more indepth look at a "What if..." scenario, check out the anime Planets. It's probably the most honest dipiction of space colonisation I've ever seen.

Mooly

Jan 24, 2010
another damn good episode
even when i dont agree with you your opinion is entertaining and provides good counterargument.
keep up the good work

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
So many other users have make the great point, that space just isn't in the media spotlight anymore. Which is just sad, I'm sure the U.S.A will get back around to space travel at some point. I just can't see it happening in my life time, with the economy way it is.

MrhalfAwake

Nov 17, 2010
There's nothing in space, even with all out satellites all we really need to focus on is our own immediate orbit, when i can barely afford a game once a month Im not gonna feel sympathetic for an online critic whose made because we're not going to emulate his favorite book or movies.

There is nothing to be gained from space that would as of right now justify the cost of going there. At all.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I will never forgive Obama for canceling the plan to return to the moon. That is just one sin is cannot forgive. Oh and you wanna know what a man looks like when his life's dream has just been crushed by a committee? Watch Dr. Robert Zubrin's testimony to the 2003 Senate.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Direct

Your welcome, internet.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I love ya Bob, but would you REALLY trade world peace for a colonization of a barren dustball like Mars?

I don't think you would.

Hm, colonization of Mars or literally no more fighting on earth?

I mean honestly use your damn brain Bob. With no more need to supply and funds to military and all that, we will eventually (if not almost immediately) get back to funding the space program. Think it through more dammit.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Shit man I'm one of those people who didn't wake up to smell the ashes of all this and now that I do know I have one thing to say...

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
MrhalfAwake said:
There's nothing in space, even with all out satellites all we really need to focus on is our own immediate orbit, when i can barely afford a game once a month Im not gonna feel sympathetic for an online critic whose made because we're not going to emulate his favorite book or movies.

There is nothing to be gained from space that would as of right now justify the cost of going there. At all.
So assuring the continuation of the human species isn't worth the cost? Wow. Only someone with absolutely no knowledge of science would say that there is nothing to be gained from space.

simonzephyr

Sep 15, 2010
docking pointless and wasteful space exploration to help a country is a good idea, space travel is a black hole for money and has little to no benefit to society

nothri

Mar 10, 2010
I can't speak for everyone, but I pretty much ignore this issue entirely because if I bothered to think about I'd be in danger of a heart attack. The big thing is....I feel helpless to do anything about it. In the middle of a recession, nobody but nobody is gonna want to be the guy that stands up and says "let's spend billions of dollars on space exploration" when any political opponent can stand up and say "why would we do that when nobody has a job right now"? Forget the fact that harvesting asteroids could pay back what it costs to get up there ten times over. Forget the fact that China is diligently working on perfecting its own space program, and by the time we get our heads out of our collective asses we might find out that they own the freaking sky (okay, I'm exaggerating....and maybe its just post cold war suspicion talking....but goddamn do I get twitchy around china...nah, its just my general belief that any nation as prosperous as china has become has no need whatsoever to such backward totalitarian approaches to human rights...but I digress).

Seriously, I have no idea how I (and the other true believers in space flight) can do anything about this. However we go here, this is a fucking doldrum when it comes to something as big as space. The world economy is shaky, our economy is too, and there's no end in sight.

Of course, the other reason I'm not frothing at the mouth was that I knew about the shuttle retirement program way back when Bush was still around. It pissed me off back then that there was literally no replacement for the shuttle at that time for a good TEN YEARS. Much like a bad break up, this is still a bitter subject, but time has dulled the rage to a cold lump in my throat. Now its less hate and more resentment.

simonzephyr

Sep 15, 2010
also, just because its 'cool' doesnt make it good, why not try make the earth better for a start rather then giving up on it and going straight for other planets with no natural resources

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Dear posters to whom this is the first news of the constellation program shutdown, let me emphasize this.

The "Space" Program is not being shutdown. The shuttle program is. What does this mean? It means we're looking for better ways of effectivally sending people to space than putting them in a winged pod strapped to two massive rockets.

I sent letters to my representatives urging the cancellation of the constellation program back when it was being voted on. You know why? Because it needed to be cancelled, and we're better off without it. Don't presume all the nuances of the issue can be laid out in a 3 minute video.