The Big Picture: One Day in November

Rsteffy

Oct 18, 2008
Good show Bob, I rather enjoyed this episode. I haven't had this much conspiracy fun since the X-files.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, I've been really thinking this conspiracy theory of Bob's is quite a bit of a stretch. Obama isn't going to lose this election because of Halo 4 and I highly doubt anyone was ever going for that. It's really weird that he's this paranoid about this, especially considering the things he's said about the Cult of Rand and their master, Ron Paul.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
I wish my country did not force me to vote. If I do not vote I pay a fine (2.25 US dollars) and can not become a public servant :(

On topic: it's a coincidence. Obama already said that is against regulating video games. That's all that they (the industry) ever wanted to hear.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Now, I'm not a US citizen, but I was under the impression that the conservative party was the people who dislike and try to pass legislation against games, game distributors and gamedevelopers for "corrupting the youth". Why would Microsoft want to influence the elections against the liberals in favor of someone who has apparently got some sort of deepseated grudge against them for the capitol crime of existing?

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Interesting theory and there is a grain of truth to the theory but yeah I say it's mostly BS.
I would think more people namely in business would be more worried about a good chunk of there work force calling in with a case of the black death come Nov 8th.

In fact I think we should do what japan did and limit big game releases to Sunday, since Halo, GTA, and COD are America's Dragon Quest(ie for those that don't know, 3 million japanese call in sick when a new DQ comes out, I expect people calling in for a week after launch with DQX being an MMO). It makes more sense since more people will be off by default on Sunday and there is no polls open so it's a win-win.

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
Rsteffy said:
Good show Bob, I rather enjoyed this episode. I haven't had this much conspiracy fun since the X-files.
Conspiracy always makes for some fun... but more importantly!

ARM --> CORE!!!

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
The people who would ditch voting to buy a game don't strike me as the kind of people who would bother voting in the first place. So what's the problem?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Vault Citizen said:
Can't people both vote and buy Halo 4?
Not quite seeing where the problem lies either. You go to your local gamestore, you pick up Halo 4, and while going home you pop in your vote. It takes, what, 5 minutes to vote?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
o_O said:
The people who would ditch voting to buy a game don't strike me as the kind of people who would bother voting in the first place. So what's the problem?
Voting is a very fragile thing, the people who bother to vote in the first place in fact generally don't drive elections and its much more about the people who may or may not vote if they feel like it on the day.

For example it's standard practice for parties to physically drive known potential voters/supporters to the election place so that they actually will register a vote.

EDIT: Here's an illustration
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/election-day-weather-outlook_2010-11-01

Every inch of rain on election day decreases voter turnout by 1% and works out as a 2.5% gain for the republicans, since in recent times you've elected a President who had less than 50% of the vote compared to the other guy, that is a huge huge deal.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
I'm to lazy to even eVote or mVote. The biggest lie in local politics is that it matters.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Meh, the ADD riddled populace that buy the game will get bored with it within a few hours. PLENTY of time to get out to vote.

DVS BSTrD said:
It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?
He didn't call the president (doubt he'd get through anyway), he called the campaign office. Probably his local one which is one of several hundred in the country and are there for exactly that purpose.

Next, let's compare the two topics shall we?

- Electing the next 4 year leader of the country you live in in a time period of the country being the most divided it has been since the Civil War.

- Causing an uproar because a company didn't make an ending of a game precisely the way they wanted.

You are trying to say that the latter is CLEARLY more important than the former?

You need to look at your priorities.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
If this happened in the UK you wouldnt notice a difference or there wouldnt even be a conspiracy theory, barely anyone gives a shit about voting over here. Even if we did, give it two weeks and we would be criticizing them and wanting then out already.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Satosuke said:
If they REALLY wanted to shake things up? If I were Microsoft, I'd offer a discount or rebate on Halo 4 if the customer produces proof that they voted. There are potential problems aplenty there, but that kind of concept might work.
As much as I agree and would support this, such a tactic would imply that gaming companies actually have a social conscience.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Two things I wish didn't exist. Halo 4 and Mitt Romney.

Yes, I know that's a controversial opinion. For what its worth, if i could only obliterate one, it would be the batshit insane Mormon looking to take up seat in the oval office. No, this doesn't mean I'm super in favor of Obama either, but he's -less- batshit insane.

As for Halo? Well, I played the first three Halo games. I enjoyed them well enough. They were never a wealth of storytelling as far as I was concerned, but the arc between 1-3 was fun enough to see play out. The games are functionally entertaining, but I've never found myself in the online scene much, and even if i did want to play a FPS, it would probably be Counterstrike or something I have fond memories of on the PC. Its upsetting to me to see the Halo franchise dug up after its original developer put it to rest just for the money making aspect of it.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
...Really? A conspiracy to get Mittington Romney the 109th elected, perpetrated by Microsoft through the use of Halo 4? Really?

...You know, I honestly believe that you believe this bollocks.

Also having to point out that games shouldn't take precedent over reality, well no shit sherlock, surprisingly people who play video games by in large aren't that fucking retarded.

Also, you might want to learn a few things about digital distribution regarding consoles, just saying.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
scotth266 said:
The conspiracy theory is just that: a conspiracy theory.

DVS BSTrD said:
Why couldn't you put this much effort into understanding ME3?
Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.
It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?

Captch: Royal flush -_^
Does that mean I win?
But you bring it up with EVERY FREAKING THING HE DOES!!!

And truthfully, you're just reinforcing the "ME3 fans are crybabies" stereotype.