The Big Picture: Orphan, Black? - A Look At The New Annie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Merklyn236 said:
Nice Christmas Story reference at the end there, MovieBob.

The only thing that bugged me about them doing this was that for the longest time Willow Smith was supposed to play Annie. When did that change?

Did Hollywood realize that you can't capitalize on an actor's/actress's parentage and hope for big box office returns? Oh, wait, nah that can't be it. Hollywood never realizes when they make mistakes.
According to the Smiths, the short version was that Willow decided she'd had her fun (for now, at least) doing her one song/album and doesn't really want a full-time acting/singing career right now; but since they'd already set up the movie they went ahead with Wallis taking over as Annie and Foxx stepping into the Warbucks part (which most had assumed Will would've played himself.)

Krai

Jul 30, 2013
Smilomaniac said:
"You talk about racial equality, how we're making progress. The problem with that progress is it's always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow-you love that!-because it's always a day away. I'm here to stick out my chin today! Today! Give us an African-American Spider Man! Give us a black that can run faster than a speeding bullet and leap over tall buildings in a single bound! Not tomorrow-today! Today! The sun needs to come out today! Not tomorrow, your Honor! God Almighty! Give the American people a black Orphan Annie. It's just not good enough to say she doesn't look the part."

I can't believe no one has mentioned this from Boston Legal.
Boston Legal predicting controversies a full 10 years before they happen.

I would Love it if Al Sharpton just gave that speech again regarding this issue.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
So, think this might be the start of a "Revivals of Creepy-Eyed Comic Strip Orphans That Haven't Been Relevant in Seventy Years" trend? Maybe we can have Jaden Smith play Dondi.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Blows up Nazi submarines? Goes on wild adventures? Foster father comes back from the dead?
No one should be surprised when Samuel L. Jackson shows up at the end of the movie.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
"Benjamin Stacks" was a silly name, but it would have been fitting. It's still subtler than "Warbucks", which doesn't even qualify as a pun. It's like what I've been saying for a while now about Captain Planet, how if that attempted revival does ever work out, it needs to have a villain named "DeForrest".

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
The biggest controversy of this is that there is no controversy. It's a complete non-issue. The new Karate Kid was black. The cast of The Wiz was black. About half of the movies Eddie Murphy ever made were "black versions" of other films.

http://i.imgur.com/x5HPYOd.gif

darth nader

Feb 13, 2008
bdcjacko said:
So is Annie a lizard person, or just Obama? I am so confused.
Annie is a secret lizard person, Obama is a secret illegal Muslim Kenyan lizard person. Its important to get these things right.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Those creepy blank eyes, I don?t think I?m going to sleep tonight.

My father?s parents are progressive people, also ex communists so I doubt they liked Annie considering how pro capitalistic it is, my mother?s father is dead and her mom is suffering from dementia, so I don?t think my grandparents are outraged about the black thing.

The movie doesn?t seem all that interesting, unless it has Annie fighting al Qaida I probably won?t go see it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Dont really care about how she (them overall) are black, that thing in Thor kind of annoyed me as it was basicly norse mithology, not offended, just annoyed (Idris Elba was still the best actor in that movie, he is just really good). It annoyed me the same way when Jesus is shown as being a white guy.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
All this black/white actor playing the white/black character is bullshit when it comes to race. A lot of people were annoyed with Idris playing Heimdeil - and he turned out awesome in both Thor movies to the point i hope they bring him into Avengers 2. But i also remember people moaning about The Last Airbender movie changing the race of the characters and the Keanu playing Akira. An believe me, if Blade was going to be played by a white actor, those same people would be bitching as well.

Orphan Annie is so old movie wise its a non issue what colour she is. Though im guessing the older generation would prefer it to be the red headed girl from the movies. I think its because fans think they know what they want, as in they want the movies to be like the source material and anything that deviates from it is unacceptable. But then it turns out those changes are awesome. Like Idris in Thor and Heath as The Joker - both actors got a lot of hate but were awesome. Now we have the same for the new Batman and Wonder Woman and the new Human Torch. Will these people be good or bad? Time will tell.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
"Orphan Black" is a hilarious pun? I don't get it.

"Drink your Ovaltine" is hilarious? I don't get this either.

Is it because I;m a Limey?

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
"Benjamin Stacks" was a silly name, but it would have been fitting. It's still subtler than "Warbucks", which doesn't even qualify as a pun. It's like what I've been saying for a while now about Captain Planet, how if that attempted revival does ever work out, it needs to have a villain named "DeForrest".
Like the "Rex DeForrest" character from that John Candy animated series I saw a couple of episodes of when I was a kid? I could go for that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So many humour bits flung at a great frequency. You sounded really into this, Bob. I think this'll stand up with things like "You Are Wrong About Sucker Punch" as my favourite TBPs.

TheWonko

Oct 26, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
"You talk about racial equality, how we're making progress. The problem with that progress is it's always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow-you love that!-because it's always a day away. I'm here to stick out my chin today! Today! Give us an African-American Spider Man! Give us a black that can run faster than a speeding bullet and leap over tall buildings in a single bound! Not tomorrow-today! Today! The sun needs to come out today! Not tomorrow, your Honor! God Almighty! Give the American people a black Orphan Annie. It's just not good enough to say she doesn't look the part."

I can't believe no one has mentioned this from Boston Legal.
The great thing is that all three of those things (Black Spiderman, Superman, and Annie) have happened now.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
I have to search deep within my soul to find it, wait a second, I've almost got it. Nope sorry can't find it. So yep I couldn't find a tiny bit of care in my whole being for any of this. That said, I hope its good, it won't be because they won't take any risks and drop Annie into Afghanistan.

So let try and predict its horribly predictable plot. Annie gets adopted by boarder line questionable politician, and his wife doesn't like her. Annie and Daddy's affection quickly grows but is given a 2nd act kick in the butt when Annie finds out Daddy just wanted her for good poll rating (probably revealed by said wife who doesn't like her snarky little girl attitude). 2nd act ends when Daddy has a turn of character as Annie uncovers baddy mcbad naughty Republican doing awful amoral political things that will ruin Daddy. 3rd act sums up as Annie and Daddy make up and over turn said evil naughty Republican plot. YAY! and then I vomit.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Wow, I had no idea the Little Orphan Annie comic got that nuts...

Y'know, this is the first time I've heard about the reboot movie... and I don't think it looks too bad, but I'll have to see it first.

I don't know much about what my grandparents thought of the comic, nor what they think of the changes, maybe I could ask.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Ken_J said:
I can't believe is! Their remaking Annie and the lead character is BLACK!!1!

NO! I AM OUTRAGED!1 That role belongs to Gingers!

RED POWER!!1!!11!
lol I got to say this was the first thing I thought when he said annie was going to be black.

OT: Now mind you I have no problem with white characters being made black, I just have problems when it is done just for the sake of doing it. (im looking at you fantastic four...) In the case of annie the girl playing her is extremely talented and should be doing a better movie cause lets just face it, this ones going to be bad. Further more I expect more people to be pissed cause it make a white woman look like the bad guy(just going by the trailer) so yeah this ones going be one of those movies you avoid everything about for the sake of your sanity.