The Big Picture: Orphan, Black? - A Look At The New Annie

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
This movie sounds like the sort of movie there isn't any reason to ever be made. Just another rehash, and they're doing something random to make it novel for novelty's sake. Does it matter at all that a lot of the cast is black? Not as far as I can see. I generally expect more from Jamie Foxx. Maybe he just needs a pay check.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
wonder when bob's going to do a fantastic four video where he has to discuss this topic again between Johnny and Susan.

and damn... I'd actually have to go see that movie if they did drop Annie into Afghanistan. that would be kick ass for all the wrong reasons.

EDIT:
Flunk said:
This movie sounds like the sort of movie there isn't any reason to ever be made. Just another rehash, and they're doing something random to make it novel for novelty's sake. Does it matter at all that a lot of the cast is black? Not as far as I can see. I generally expect more from Jamie Foxx. Maybe he just needs a pay check.
Wonder if he thinks that spiderman movie won't be cutting him a huge check.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Please, for the love of god, can we have a big picture about chemtrails? Surely the most stupid of all conspiracies deserves some dissection. Pretty please??

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
You can imagine how this went...

"It's just that there isn't enough material with a black cast."

"Well, you could just write original material..."

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You're so crazy."

The desperation of Hollywood to find more to mine is REALLY starting to show.

TJF588

Jan 29, 2009
Reading some of the groan-inducing posts here, I'll try to allay some misgivings: This isn't a "reboot". That I (think I?) saw this word come up is ridic'. Wasn't the Annie flick a self-contained one-off? How does one "reboot" a not-franchise? Even then, what's verboten about adaptation, especially of an older and/or tired-out-in-its-standing-form material? It's not like those previous iterations are going away. Heck, in superhero comics those various incarnations often meet each other. Even if this is just being done for novelty or statement, so be it. Don't see how it could be condemnable short of inciting civil violence from its viewers, so just let there be another variety to our media.

And to the dumbass (too lazy to look up your screen name for this) stamping their foot down over canonical race: As if film adaptations aren't already compromises of their source materials. Even for Annie, Bob's shown here that the events of the comics are held true in the version of Annie most familiar to pop culture, so having a black iteration of the character wouldn't be the first shift of detail. Yeah, I'll admit, the blazing, puffy red/orange hair is an iconic feature of the Annie, but with all this remake is doing elsewise, there's no mandate to stick that closely to that one feature set over any others. Orphan, rich foster parent, song-&-dance numbers, "Annie" as the product label -- all the bottom line they have, for this project.

...Man, I am actually going on a -- as I first saw in (and had to Google from) these comments -- SJW rant toward users I hardly know on a forum I hardly use. Liking some'f these avatars, though, and the aardvark's badges are choice.

NotRacist

Mar 17, 2014
I am really offended that you imply that ANYONE with a problem with Little Orphan Annie being cast as black is racist. (No, that's not what you said, but we ALL know that's what you meant.)

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'll just summarize: Would this be okay if it was in reverse?

Let's say Annie was originally written (and illustrated) as a little black girl. Would it be okay to cast her as a white girl?

Would it be okay to make a remake of Friday with an all-white cast? No? That's somehow racist? Why?

Maybe it's YOU who need to see the "Big Picture" BOB!

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
NotRacist said:
The only times that it wouldn't be okay in the ways that you described would be if the ethnicities of the original characters actually had some bearing on the original plot. For example, for Friday to work, the main cast needs to be black because the characters are meant to be caricatures of black people. It becomes a fundamentally different movie when you change the races around. In the case of Annie, the original cast being predominately white doesn't have the same bearing on the end product. Daddy Warbucks' whiteness isn't any more a part of his character than his baldness is.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
NotRacist said:
Let's say Annie was originally written (and illustrated) as a little black girl. Would it be okay to cast her as a white girl?
Sure. Why not?

NotRacist said:
Would it be okay to make a remake of Friday with an all-white cast?
I don't see the problem with that.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The Dubya said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Its kinda like raping high fiction to fit the big screen, it dose not make much sense. They tried this with Kung Fu kid and Gone with the wind and neither got anywhere its a novelty that can ware off quickly. Tho unlike those this looks to be a bit different but I will have to watch it before I can fully grasp what its trying to do.
....THE KUNG FU KID IS HIGH FICTION?!??!

Yeah no, this is exactly why I'm not even going to bother entertaining this nonsense. The 1982 Annie was a dopey yet cute kids musical where a lot of kids and usually serious adults had some fun, and this new movie will be a dopey yet cute little kids musical where a lot of kids and usually serious adults will have some fun. Why the fuck people are trying to place so much cultural importance on fucking ANNIE of all things is beyond me.

SnakeoilSage said:
The biggest controversy of this is that there is no controversy. It's a complete non-issue. The new Karate Kid was black. The cast of The Wiz was black. About half of the movies Eddie Murphy ever made were "black versions" of other films.

http://i.imgur.com/x5HPYOd.gif
Hence why I'm just getting bored with all these fabricated "controversies" now. Quvenzhané Wallis is a cool little actress (that killed it in one of my new favorite movies of all time BOTSW), so let the little kid have her fun for fuck's sakes...
Anything with sci fi or fantasy elements is moderate fiction, the more of those elements you add the higher it becomes. Rapeing it tends to replace fictional elements with more realistic ones mostly to rake in more movie goers. Just look at Xmen is a train wreck and even the better films have issues. Hell batman is not even high fiction and they tend to do his world poorly. The last few films were horrible they were good films but poor use of the fiction kinda like all of the Superman films but Returns even if it was sucky.

And now we have Constantine with the removal of everything Constantine .....at least Arrow took the core elements rehashed into uber realistic hash and came out half decent, Marvel sadly has to much of its IP sold off to make a grandiose TV series.

edit
Forgot to add it pertains to this because the same morons are remaking anything they can get their hands on which tends to be a bad thing. And the whole black thing reeks more of black exploitation than anything else.... then again I tend to over think things.