The Big Picture: Oscars: The Grouse

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
At first I thought this was going to be all stuff I already knew. I knew that the whole limited-release thing was enough for an Oscar nod, but I had no idea it was that limited. Fascinating. And indeed, unfortunate for everything else. Looking forward to the suggestions next week.

And as always, +1 Internet for for the Double Dare reference. Even more big bonus points could have been awarded had it also included a reference to the other Double Dare (the one with Alex Trebek that no one's ever heard of).

But goodness, what was that awful He-Man knockoff action figure?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm rooting for War Horse for best picture, but I know that's not the most likely candidate to win.

Cars 2 didn't get a nomination, so it looks like it won't be winning the Pixar Awar-er, I mean Best Animated Feature Award.

Meryl Streep will probably win best actress.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Firstly, please stop using The Kings Speech as an example of a film being "Oscar Bait" as it detracts from the fact its a fucking good film. *puts Union Flag away*

While I agree with what you say, I really wish I could blame the studios, but releasing a film right next to when the Oscars are going to be announced means its more likely to be in the mind of whoever votes for these things. I remember listening to a film show a number of years ago where they said they were surprised Crash [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/] had managed a nomination because it had been released in the Spring rather then Autumn.

Personally, I think they should show film fans some love during the "Summer Shit" season and re-release older films (older as in "Classics") for those that want to go to the cinema and not see Transformers. A lot of these films are being re-worked to clean up the prints for Blu-ray, so why not give them a limited run to remind people (or show new audiences) that its good and worth buying?

EDIT:
MacNille said:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Does not deserv it nomination at all! It have a rotten status on Rotten Tomeatos as of this moment and it scream OSCAR BAIT all over it.
This is the only film on the Best Film list I hadn't heard of this year, and thats a surprise for me as I like to keep up with film news. *runs and checks IMDB* Wow, a 9/11 story 10 years after. No wonder it got a nom. *watches trailer* I think I just got diabetes. Excuse me while I go throw up. After my earlier comment, can you please replace the Kings Speech in every show where you complain about Oscar Bait with this thing. Kings Speech was a great film that just happened to include things the Academy likes where as this film seems to be ticking a checklist on purpose.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I think that you're being somewhat unfair to Oscars.

I mean the descion to not nominate good films this year in favour of nomionating several bad ones is a couragous choice and they should get respect for that alone.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Its at times like this that I wish that The Big Picture had a longer running time. This episode left me feeling unsatisfied, not because there wasn't anything good in it but because it got me really interested in the subject matter and then ended quickly, leaving me wishing that I had got to learn more.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MacNille said:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Does not deserv it nomination at all! It have a rotten status on Rotten Tomeatos as of this moment and it scream OSCAR BAIT all over it.
While we're at it, it's kind of embarrassing how Max von Sydow, who's been in TONS of the legendary Bergman's films, was nominated for THIS pile of tripe. A big problem is that the Oscars are pretty much lifetime achievement awards a lot of the time (mostly for actors). This just brings up a gigantic question: WHY NOT JUST GIVE PEOPLE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS????? Hell, Kirk Douglas got one in the 90s for how famous he was.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
So why was it called the grouse anyway? Because now ive got the famous grouse tune stuck in my head

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
I wouldn't say Winter is only for Oscar movies.
Its also the season of more family block busters
Like with Avatar release, Tron, and upcoming The Hobbit.
Studios have found the Dec area a good area for the less "Michael Bay-explosion" block busters as it allows them to cash in on the Christmas dollar.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's the Oscars; You take what you get and pretend you don't see the garbage.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Spacewolf said:
So why was it called the grouse anyway?
To grouse is to complain grumpily about something. Bob groused about the Oscars.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I have to assume that's Princess Summer Spring Winter Fall. My sister has a season name and old people used to bring up that character a lot. Meanwhile my name was very similar to a well known actor and I had his theme song sung at me.

Neither celebrity connection was intended with our naming.