The Big Picture: Out of the Park

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Need an opinion here! Need an opinion here! Need an opinion here! Need an-*shot*

This was a great episode, and now I'm sad because everyone's going to start talking about The Simpsons instead.

Dec 14, 2009
"If you were from, where I was from, you'd be fucking dead!"

I love that accent, it's one of the few American accents I genuinely like.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
two things
1. I am still shocked that people take lessons from South Park.(do these people take lessons from Family guy and any other cartoon?)
2. I enjoy your regional accent! I say do it more often.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I never did turn to South Park for life lessons... though I do detect hints of personal philosophy from the show. Like Bob said, though, it's completely subjective and depends on the topic at hand. You kind of have to be in the right mood to watch it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Wait, that was Bob's real voice? I just assumed he was doing a bit.

Interesting episode as always, I too liked the episode "you're getting old", especially since the ending was such a big surprise and not at all what I would expect from an episode of South Park.

Spaceparanoid42

Oct 29, 2010
I for one think that Bob's real voice is AWESOME. (In fact, just watch it totally overshadow South Park as the topic of the comments.)

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Scout is a spy! :p

This would have been nicer earlier if South Park wasn't about to finish its series.

More Brooklyn Bob! :p

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
And here I was thinking that we could get through the episode without "TV IS WEIRD".

I also think you sound more like one of those fast-talking, old timey actors than the scout.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I surprised that people are fascinated that thats his real voice. I reember seeing a vid on her with him walking through a street alley speaking with his Boston Accent, and hes let it slip more then once in his escape to the movies/the big picture show before.

Plus im pretty sure bob's told us he was from boston multiple times.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Huh, he's right, I don't recall any JFK comparisons, or even Mayor Quimby comparisons . . . although I may have just missed them under the Scout and New Jersey comments. Really, New Jersey?

As for myself, I grew up in NH, spent a year of high school in the Boston suburbs, and went to college in Western Mass. I don't associate the accent with a specific person so much as jokes about aggressive driving and confusing infrastructure (which no doubt results in the aggressive driving). A few times a year we'd drive down to the Boston Museum of Science (Wooooo Mugar Omni Theater!) and my sister and I were not allowed to talk in the car once we were inside the city limits so my dad could concentrate on the traffic. :D

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
lockgar said:

This would have been nicer earlier if South Park wasn't about to finish its series.

South Park is scheduled to continue at least through 2013.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I'm so used to hearing your radio voice, that I always figured you were putting the other voice on.

I hear what he's saying about SP anyway. Hell, I'm guilty of regurgitating SP and other media myself, especially when I was a kid who was new to forums.

It's good to draw ideas from multiple sources though. Concerning Bob's racial views, his, "acknowledge the past and deal with the double standard" view really shook my "Ignore race completely" view, and I had some revision to do on the subject.

God, I can't stop thinking back to all those times I stood up for MGS2 and proclaimed it to be a masterpiece even though I didn't even understand why so many people felt that way about it. All the nonsense that came from it. The internet makes it easy to think that you have an enlightened outlook on life, even when you're making up fickle values on the spot without any rational reason.

Ahhhh, childhood.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Ummmm, I personally wouldn't take the views as a lesson, but more of another person's opinion. I hope there isn't anyone taking South Park seriously.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Y'know, for guys who don't really seem to have an over-arching world view (or at least, one they don't wish to share), Matt & Trey sure have been getting a lot more didactic in recent years. What was once consistently great comedy is, at least to me, becoming more hit-and-miss. For every "you're getting old" there's a "crack baby athletics association" (seriously, what the fuck was up with that episode? Kyle was acting completely out of character, and it distinctly felt as though they had no clue how to end it).

Then again, I probably am just getting old...

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
Moviebob, I'll be honest, despite the brilliance of your series. I don't think I'd be able to continue watching this series if you used your natural voice.

lockgar said:
They actually have two and a half more seasons left, so I think you're jumping the gun a little.

May 28, 2009
I'm glad Bob addressed this issue, as it is something that really annoys me. Though these South Park polical types are few that really grind my gears (pop reference not intentional)

Also I kinda prefer the regional accent, I don't like it when people hide their real voice just to fit in within the media, but hey that's just me.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I don't so much take my views from south park, as I tend to watch it and think that it all seems so damn true. Often it seems that the things south park point out in society are the things I've seen for quite some time. I wasn't aware people actually take their views from south park. That...annoys me. Maybe I should make friends with the makers of south park seeming as I have so many views in commmon with them.

Also, I love the accent, but then again, I could see how it could be slightly harder to cut into little easily editable chunks of dialogue.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I found most episodes were common sense oriented attacking the over reactions of a particular group. I need more than Trey and Matt for source material for my views(HUMANCENTiPAD's take on click-to-accept agreements/contracts is one I've held for a while now though as with many people on this site who don't like the EULAs).

And who wants to be part of a group that changes political views on an episode to episode basis.

Canadian columnist Jaime J. Weinman observes that the most die-hard conservatives who identified themselves as "South Park Republicans" began turning away from the label when the show ridiculed Republicans in the season nine (2005) episode "Best Friends Forever".
Shows how deep their beliefs were doesn't it?

My personal favorite episode from this season at this point is "City Sushi". Political/Social views be damned, it's just a really funny episode.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I agree, Bob. South Park is pretty awesome. But just because they say things without any sort of unifying message doesn't mean they aren't 75-90% right about what they say. Like Jon Stewart before he got all politicized and drew actual news media attention.

That's because the jester is the freest voice in the court... or however that expression goes about comedians being able to say whatever they want about whoever they want with minimal fear of reprisal because they're funny. I think Mel Brooks said it... right around History of the World, Part 1, wherein he played a bad comedian getting sentenced to death by the Romans. *ramble, ramble...*

Also a little disappointed the accent was addressed. Who couldn't tell you were from Boston? I mean seriously? And here I thought it was a subtle example of the very "continanity" (which I assume is a portmanteau of continuity and insanity, rather than inanity) being addressed in the episode.

...or is the joke still going on? Sudden reversal of a notable but supposedly unpopular and still completely insignificant/irrelevant change with little more than a "whoops! didn't mean to do that" pseudo apology? and better yet letting people derive meaning and messages from something essentially meaningless and message free after talking about how we shouldn't do that (another message from South Park, incidentally, in The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs)? Bravo again, Bob... bravo. *slow clap*

heh.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
Now that you mention it you should quote some Scout lines in your Game Overthinker episodes cause their are some definate similarities in the voice.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Dak_N_Jaxter said:
I'm so used to hearing your radio voice, that I always figured you were putting the other voice on.
Yeah, same. Went a bit "Eh?" Last week, but I could definitely get used to having JFK/Quimby/Scout telling me about movies =P

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I wouldn't call a minimum of two seasons as "about to close the serie".
They already made clear that they are not going to getting chris rock style out of their contracts.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
BONKING, IS, WEIRD!
well that explains the accent then...

and I do believe you can find some political views in southpark, just not consistent ones...

Gallium

Cannon Fodder
May 3, 2011
I found South Park a bit hit or miss. (Mind you when they got a hit it was often a laugh-till-you-cry one).

It has been a while since I've watched an episode, but if it's current take on issues is anything like it's early form I'd say it suffers from a major case of attacking everything, but suggesting nothing.

It is not as if you can base an entire political philosophy on attacking and putting down absolutely everything but suggesting nothing in return....

Wait a second...

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks Bob. I was curious about that ever since your review of 'Shuttah Island'. I'd also understand why you would adopt a more general speaking voice for public audiences since every accent around carries some immutable stereotypes with it, a sad but true factor though some people enjoy hearing accents for uniqueness (my city's main radio talk show host is that way at least partly due to his Scottish accent).

Isn't it nice how text doesn't have accents?

I was always more into Simpsons than South Park- it often felt to me like Cartman got away with too much even for a satirical cartoon show. Even Homer or a less sympathetic jerkass like Peter Griffin is usually punished for serious indiscretions. It is kind of admirable though how SP was willing to take a dig at more left-wing absurdities Simpsons wasn't willing to attack (I am a big-time lefty and the show's writers themselves have admitted to being the same), though more out of a general lack of caring who they offended than any political message. One thing they seemed to have in common was a general desire to make people take a second look at any political, business or religious platform to see the hidden truths underneath before throwing in with them, that nothing is as good as it is originally presented to be. Not everything sucks, but critical thinking is important.

BLAME CANADA!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I think it's better to look at South Park as a show that while not having a coherent moral code does offer up an opinion on a topic which you can then choose to check up on yourself. It's like wikipedia, good for a starting off point, but don't believe everything you see there. Like the episode where KFC gets banned and medicinal marijuana is legalised does use a lot of the points the "legalise it" crowd use. If that episode makes you think about why marijuana is illegal and makes you think about your stance on it then good. If, however, your stance is weed should be legal, just watch South Park then that's bad.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I like the Boston accent. Not Bob's in particular, but just in general.

BUT...FOR THE RECORD...

There are 2 "R"s in the word "retarded". Not an "H". Not a long string of "A"s.

RetaRded.

NOT RetaHded.
NOT RetAAAAAded.

That is all.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Bob, you make it sound like there's something wrong with sounding like the Scout!

Anyway, nice vid.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but it's something that I noticed, not only as a South Park fan from season 1 onwards, but also as a self-proclaimed "South Park Conservative" (translation: very centrist, with an occasional smidgeon of a right leaning)...South Park doesn't have its own philosophy because it is based around making fun of the silliness of other philosophies. It is almost pure satire.

Take global warming, for example. The serious AGW people take it to the point of a doomsday cult, rather than "we may have to make some adaptations in a warming world." So, you get an episode like "Manbearpig" or "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow." People turning Obama into a saviour and a divisive election campaign? "About Last Night..."

It's a great show, but if there is a life lesson in it, I don't know if you could take it any farther than "Get some f***ing perspective, already!"

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
Really? Republicans are that desperate for a political voice outside of certain far right talking heads? Really?

South Park has always came across as an equal opportunity bashfest. And it's narrative tends to swing from pants on head ridiculous to bludgeoning it's audience over the head with a particular moral of the moment.

Really?

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I have to admit, I laughed out loud about Bob talking about sounding like Scout (and tbh, looking like Heavy, too!) I grew up in New York state, in the suburbs of NYC, so I have a northern accent, but not a "New York" accent. My Dad grew up in the Bronx, and his accent is very, very different from mine "Youse goin' out?"

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Bob, thank you so much for this episode. I've run into too many assholes around here thinking exactly in the manner you've pointed out.
Bonus:
I figured the accent thing was just you being very passionate about comics, and dropping the fake voice was your unconscious way of "getting real here folks".

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
dex-dex said:
two things
I am still shocked that people take lessons from South Park.(do these people take lessons from Family guy and any other cartoon?)
Yes, of course it's worse with South Park (probably even worse with Simpsons) because Kyle make one speech for episode but obviously that some people take lessons from cartoons. Your society is too focused in consumption so people will consume ideals and political postures. Some people will prefer to buy their ideas from a rad cartoon than from a 19th century man who had a strange relationship with his nazi sister. I know a guy who takes lessons from New Genesis Evangelion.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm fairly certain moviebob addressed that he has a boston accent before. At some point.

The first person I think of when I hear a boston accent is Denis Leary or an old SNL sketch where they said 'wicked' a lot.

South Park gets way too preachy for my tastes. Still a damn funny show. The episodes I enjoy the most are the ones without an obvious message.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Mangue Surfer said:
Some people will prefer to buy their ideas from a rad cartoon than from a 19th century man who had a strange relationship with his nazi sister.
Wait, are you talking about Friedrich Nietzsche? Or am I thinking of someone else

OT: You seem to be a bit more non-partisan Bob. Kudos on that.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Robert B. Marks said:
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but it's something that I noticed, not only as a South Park fan from season 1 onwards, but also as a self-proclaimed "South Park Conservative" (translation: very centrist, with an occasional smidgeon of a right leaning)...South Park doesn't have its own philosophy because it is based around making fun of the silliness of other philosophies. It is almost pure satire.

Take global warming, for example. The serious AGW people take it to the point of a doomsday cult, rather than "we may have to make some adaptations in a warming world." So, you get an episode like "Manbearpig" or "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow." People turning Obama into a saviour and a divisive election campaign? "About Last Night..."

It's a great show, but if there is a life lesson in it, I don't know if you could take it any farther than "Get some f***ing perspective, already!"
This concept actually is most prominent in their new musical, "The Book of Mormon" (which I had the pleasure of seeing while I was briefly in New York last spring). Without spoiling the show for anyone, the main overarching theme of the show is "religion is about comforting people, not necessarily adhering to a strict ideology or narrative." This is why many religions, such as Islam, Christianity and Buddhism, spread so widely in their heydays; people found comfort in their teachings.

Plus, where else could you hear the phrase "Salt Lake City doesn't exist?"

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Were people really making THAT MUCH of a deal out of his Bostonian accent? Seriously? I thought it was general knowlege this guy was from New England, and people from New England sound weird. heck his broadcast voice sounds Bostonian to me, maybe cause I am a midwesterner.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I feel like kind of a dick for being one of the ones making a big deal out of his accent.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I'm surprised that it took this long before you wanted to talk about this issue. I'm so sick of running into smug people that think just because South Park said it that it makes the most sense. When Avatar came out I couldn't stop a conversation from turning to it and everyone say "It's Dances with Wolves".

The accent thing? You sound like The Scout and Kennedy, the glass is half full not half empty. Plus I love accents, doesn't matter which, they're fun.

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
It could be worse, Bob. You could sound like the Heavy. Your show would be quite more obtuse, thoght a lot more entertaining!

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Sorry Bob all I heard was "If you were from where I was from you'd be ****ing dead!"
In all seriousness though, great episode. I've had to fortune to never run into these people but still food for thought.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Does it really matter what his voice sounds like and were he's from? Guy makes me laugh and gives me info lol.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well-said, though personally I've never liked South Park I sure as hell wouldn't trust any morals it hands out.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Just going to throw this out there; when I hear people quoting some stupid adult cartoon for easy referencing to back up their ideas, the show is Family Guy and the people are Liberals.

Are you sure you're not just pissed off at South Park quoting because it contradicts a lot of your own ideas?

Though I'll give those idiots this; when it was laid down on the table exactly how despicable Brian is, most of them shut up.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
I honestly could not take south park as any from of philosophical or moral compass. The damn show is just too weird. Yet Bob is right, I agree with him that South Park is a great show but should not be taken seriously. It's South Park.

P.S. Eh... makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Bob. I'm from the South West, so hearing anything that doesn't sound from like it's south of the border is a fresh pace, but whatever. I like how you sound either way.. but for gods sake, you could pander a little and say BONK! Just once... can't you just say BONK! in your accent? Yeah.. I'm getting a bit nerdish, I'll stop.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
I tend to watch south park and agree with it than think it is southpark so it must be right and adopt its "lessons".

This isnt show designed to ask big questions it just parodies pop culture and current attitudes.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
So South park is as subjective as 'The 90s sucked". Having not watched an episode of South park for a few years it's good to know they're not actually trying to push some sort of adjenda.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
I used to love South Park. I don't know when it happened but at some point they got so any accolades for making good funny points that the show just went crazy. It seemed like every episode was trying to make some point, some of which were stupid/wrong or just an opinion and ended with everyone in the show basking in some artificial revelation.

Its the cartoon equivalent of Glenn Beck going from a retarded shock jock, getting followers, thinking his opinion is infallible and turning into a giant douche.

It wasn't a particular episode, its a trend in the show and I haven't been able to watch it in the last few years. Its just annoying.

If Movie Bob is right then I guess theres a bunch of idiots who GET there opinions from this? Wow.

P.s. Avatar was not Dancing with Wolves, other then similar themes. Stop saying it, it doesnt make you clever. It makes you hating on a good movie for the sake of being a contraian.

Bwown

Jun 22, 2010
Two things:

1. Mormonism is a religion and Scientology is a cult. Both belief systems were mocked on South Park, but the former was determined to be a system that helps people, while the latter was determined to be a money making scam.

2. Many belief systems have points that contradict one another. For instance, Republicans continue to espouse a Pro-Life stance, but yet continue to support the Death Penalty.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
I like the accent Bob, makes me think of Car Talk and then fond childhood memories.

Also, while I don't always agree with you, I always see where you are coming from. This episode, however, I agree completely. South Park isn't exposing a point of view, it's just taking the piss out of society.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Bwown said:
Two things:

1. Mormonism is a religion and Scientology is a cult. Both belief systems were mocked on South Park, but the former was determined to be a system that helps people, while the latter was determined to be a money making scam.
The distinction is meaningless. Mormons had to flee New York and Illinois because the local population thought they were a nutty polygamist religious cult controlling local politicians with their voting bloc. Which they most likely were. Giving them a pass just because they've been around longer than scientology is a little ridiculous. I think South Park's "message" with their respective scientology and Mormon episodes was that Mormons (that they know) are usually very nice decent people who believe in very crazy things and Scientologists (that are famous) come off as angry confrontational lunatics (which they were at that time).

Yes, there really isn't a coherent political philosophy on this show, outside of what Matt and Trey feel at a given point in time. The Return of Chef show was almost them mocking themselves for the way they mocked Scientology. And Isaac Hayes, as well. You think they'd do a show like that even after he died? I don't think so. The point of ManBearPig isn't that "global warming isn't real." It's that Al Gore is annoying and desperately trying to hang onto his celebrity. Again, they probably wouldn't even make that now, unless he took up some new or fresh cause to stay relevant.

If you DO want to watch something / someone with a strong unified Libertarian political philosophy, I'd highly recommend looking at all the video blogs, radio shows, TV shows, and books by Penn Jillette. The guy can read my mind sometimes.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Bwown said:
Two things:

2. Many belief systems have points that contradict one another. For instance, Republicans continue to espouse a Pro-Life stance, but yet continue to support the Death Penalty.
Aint a religeon just a successful cult? there is really no difference between the two.

christianity was only a cult not a few hundred years ago, then it got lucky same with islam and judaism.

Jedi-ism (or whatever its called) is a cult but promotes sharing, compassion and forgiveness. Are you saying its any less valid than christianity which makes millions (billions even) in profit whilst supporting immorality (proctecting peadophiles, condeming contraception ect.).

Im not going to go into this but religeons are big cults and to use cult negatively and religeon positively is something i find contradictory

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
WhiteFangofWar said:
Not everything sucks, but critical thinking is important.

BLAME CANADA!
I think that's the only coherent message that show ever had :)

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Just going to throw this out there; when I hear people quoting some stupid adult cartoon for easy referencing to back up their ideas, the show is Family Guy and the people are Liberals.

Are you sure you're not just pissed off at South Park quoting because it contradicts a lot of your own ideas?

Though I'll give those idiots this; when it was laid down on the table exactly how despicable Brian is, most of them shut up.
You know that you don't even have to laid it down yourself ? The show make a case to do it itself with Quagmire being straight to the point with Brian and telling him why he don't like him.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The mormonism/scientology difference isn't inconsistent at all.

People who promote scientology tend to act like dicks, people who promote mormonism are really nice to everyone and the kind of dudes you want as neighbors. And it doesn't matter if mormonism is batshit crazy if the practitioners have good families and help their community are generally good people.

South park is fairly consistent. They mock celebrities because they deserve it, they mock philosophies/points of view that give people an excuse to hate or hurt or look down on other people. In that sense they are libertarian because their targets tend to be people who claim "authority" or "leadership" for whatever reason.

And the only time they came close to promoting authoritarianism in imposing a single point of view is the nambla episode where they even mocked themselves. The "lesson learned" is usually a synthesis or understanding of the opposing points of view. The contrast with nambla was that some points of view, in this case sex with children, are so disagreeable that there is no discussion possible.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Drake666 said:
You know that you don't even have to laid it down yourself ? The show make a case to do it itself with Quagmire being straight to the point with Brian and telling him why he don't like him.
That's the bit I meant actually, I interpret it as Seth Macfarlane basically holding his hands to the heavens and screaming 'what do you admire about this asshole!?'

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
I've often thought that anyone that takes satire and uses that to base their opinions was pretty moronic.

When I hear a John Stewart argument (He makes fun of things, he's funny) regurgitated, I want to punch them. You don't have an opinion, you have a soundbite and that alone does not make you intelligent.

These satires are food for thought and share an opinion that many will find enjoyable. But they aren't made to dictate your entire opinion. You just can't be that much of a sheep (regardless of where it came from) by regurgitating others soundbites and be taken seriously.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
*risking sounding dumb*
so THATS the scouts accent!!! he is from boston!!! finaly mistery solved...

also why did you have to adress the sound issue? that leaves 0% for anione comenting about the actual episode!!! seriously you must have seen this coming!

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I always thought that South Park was more of a left wing show. Not that I'd ever take life lessons from it. The occasional episode will have some sort of message, usually deliver by Kyle saying "Today, I learned ....", but I certainly wouldn't use it as a reference point of morality. I mean, seriously, this is a TV show with a talking Towel who just loves to get high.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Some of the South Park episodes can make you think in a different way about a certain subject. I dont take everything they say as gospel, only those points of view that make sense to me. I dont know anyone that quotes South Park as a reason for believing a certain thing.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Personally, I don't care for South Park. And before anyone asks, it's my own personal preference and no, you do not need to know my justification or anything else pertaining to my opinion of it so don't ask.

Now that that's out of the picture, anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tries to argue with me that it promotes some sort of sociopolitical ideal I simply turn around and say "Do you know why they made it that way? Do you? They did it for S**** AND GIGGLES!" That's basically the bulk of it. They rib on a target because they find it a funny and/or easy target. In the entirety of the show, there is nothing on there that was not made fun of for any other reason than saying "why not?"

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I don't think it's so much that people pin their viewpoints on south park, as it is that SP simply strikes a chord with people from time to time. I know I agree with a lot of the jokes they make about people and or movements/religions/smugness whatever. But I'm not going to base my points of view on what the show conveys.

I really don't think I've ever met anyone who does.

Also, BOINK!

Don a 'Bonk' Bob. Do it for infinite Justice.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
The Scout? I never thought of Bob as the Scout- and not just because the difference in, uh, body structure.

The scout has a higher-pitched lilt and a fast-talking affect. I don't get those from Bob. So, yeah, low rent JFK it is.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I have to say one of the most damaging episodes I felt was the one about the word "fag", and how words change meaning over time and people should not be indirectly offended when it is not directed at them. The problem with that is that it is still used as a homophobic slur, is always used in a very negative context, and people have every right it be offended even if direct offense wasn't intended. And that episode is a direct contradiction to the "****** guy" episode when the lesson was when you have no idea about the negative emotions that come up when the word is said, you have no right to dictate how others should feel. I'm just using that as another example.

Aug 1, 2010
While I absolutely agree with Bob that NO ONE should look to the entire show for messages and meaning, some of the episodes can give some pretty interesting meanings.

The F-Word, Cartoon Wars and the like have some very interesting things to say.

In addition, some of the things that happen OUTSIDE the show have much more meaning than the episodes themselves. Case in point being the whole Mohammed/201 thing. It was a total breakdown of free speech in the face of threats.

Great Big Picture as usual!

Captcha: NORD land. DAMN YOU SKYRIM!!!

Aug 1, 2010
drisky said:
I have to say one of the most damaging episodes I felt was the one about the word "fag", and how words change meaning over time and people should not be indirectly offended when it is not directed at them. The problem with that is that it is still used as a homophobic slur, is always used in a very negative context, and people have every right it be offended even if direct offense wasn't intended. And that episode is a direct contradiction to the "****** guy" episode when the lesson was when you have no idea about the negative emotions that come up when the word is said, you have no right to dictate how others should feel. I'm just using that as another example.
And yet, there is living proof that words can radically change. If you said someone was "Queer" 100 years ago, it had NOTHING to do with being homosexual, it meant they were interesting.

Same with Gay. Happy!

Plus, words lose their power over time. For instance, if someone said "Poppycock" in the wrong decade, it was the worst thing you could ever do! But now "Fuck" and "Shit" are part of many peoples daily speech. Censoring and forcing people to never say things only gains those word power and makes them MORE offensive.

Yes, The F-Word episode may not have had the perfect message, but it's a start. I agree that if something like fag is said with harmful intention to a person who would be offended, it is bad. But intention is important.

If we completely disregard intention in words and allow reception to govern them completely, words lose meaning and I could say your use of the word "The" is offensive to me.

I will accept that the other episode is ABSOLUTELY contradictory though.

Sorry for the longness, just had to get that out.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
odd, I never saw South Park as a source of political views as much as it was a "that's funny, lets make an episode about it," or "that's funny, throw it in."

What I don't like is how people take a joke WAY out of proportion.

remember when they had Cthulu kill Justin Beirber (I seriously have no idea how to spell the last name)? That was ALL anyone on internet news was talking about.

The creators at south park will make fun of anything (political, religion, celebrities, current events, etc), as long as it is funny. They only get mean spirited if they are personally attacked.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Bob, the I'm smart and everyone else is stupid almost qualifies as a philosophy at this point. It's certainly dominant throught the internet, especially in political topics. Even so, the stupidity of people that try and use fiction to back up their positions is unreal. It's not that there aren't things to learn from fiction, but we do have to remember that fiction is choriographed by the author, and as such loses credibility. When I hear professional econmists and politicians hold up Atlas Shrugged as "proof" of the dangers of socialism, I need to slam my head against something. It works in the book because the author made it work, but that might not carry over into reality where unforseen outcomes can happen and the line between productive and parasite isn't clearly defined.

But then again, that's why they turn to it: real life is messy without clear heroes and villans. No one wants to openly admit that there are costs to either side of an arguement, and that we aren't arguing on ideals, but trying to shift the consequences to someone else. That the rich aren't all evil businessmen out to screw over everyone, but neither are the poor simply just too lazy to get rich. TV has replaced religion as our comfort pablam to tell us how right we are and how wrong everything else is, so now they hold up South Park instead of the bible.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
I have to disagree. The over-arching idea isn't "Everyone is stupid, but us", just "Everything is Stupid, Period." They do actually poke fun at themselves from time to time. The entire existence of Terrence and Phillip is basically a parody of the crude humor and animation of the show, and the absurdity of the fact that it's actually had some kind impact on the political world, and don't forget the "all preachy and up its own ass with messages" line. Overall, it's definitely a piece of entertainment more than anything else, but I do think there is a coherent worldview, but it's a refined and nuanced world view that isn't based as much on a single ideal as you'd see from other works.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I find that a south park episode can make an interesting discussion point sometimes.

SurrealFactory

Jun 17, 2011
Do you know what I think? (This is the internet so I'm going to tell you anyway) It's not wise to take anything you hear completely verbatim. I don't take my views and values from one source, I listen to a LOT of people, and then form my opinions based on that. Even then though I prefer to have them remain flexible, because I know that you can always learn more and have your mind changed.

That said, South Park has some great social commentary that, while it may not present a focused political ideology, can give you a great perspective on certain topics and events. And to clarify, the Mormonism episode and the Scientology one don't contradict each other at all. The creators denounce Scientology as a legitimate religion because for the simple fact that it's essentially a business.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
Great episode as allways, and i quite literelly lol'ed at the scout comment.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Man, I love South Park...

But yeah, South Park is two guys skewering things they find funny, NOT a unified political philosophy.

I have to disagree strongly on what you said about their position on Mormonism Vs. Scientology, though. Yes, it was more subtle, but they are nothing if not ever MORE vicious when it comes to the things that Mormons actually believe. On of their comedies that no one seems to remember is Orgasmo. It just seems like they have a stronger familiarity with Mormonism, and can therefore speak about it with a little more finesse.

Also, I'm super impressed with the reference to "All In the Family." I was pretty sure no one else saw that show for the deeply political satire that it is.

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
Personally I'd prefer being associated with the Scout than JFK. No offense to JFK or anything but he's the freakin' Scout and is awesome!

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
I think, you shouldn't maintain the broadcasting voice at panels.

I think half the reason we love meeting people IRL is getting a taste of what they are really like. And your accent is part of what you're really like.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I always found South Parks political 'messages' to be more about taking a middle ground and pointing out the obvious flaws of the polarized American political landscape. You can pick spots to point out the fallacy in a Republican/Democrat viewpoint, but they aren't exactly providing a firm 3rd party platform. As comedians they simply poke non-partisan fun at both sides and do a pretty fair job to it, compared to Simpsons for example which usually takes a much more liberal view on everything.

On the other hand I've never known 'kids' to be forming their views entirely from South Park.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...People take South Park seriously?

...Not to say that I'm not a fan either, mind you. Though I shouldn't be surpised that people take this sort of thing literally...

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
lockgar said:

More like Boston Bob!

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
I'm really not surprised that you take this viewpoint. Sorry Bob, but there are people who intelligently counter typical liberal speaking points. The fact that the creators themselves said "Yeah, we dislike conservatives, but we really hate liberals," shows that yes, they probably do disagree with you.

It's OK though, I love Star Trek and I'm a libertarian.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Does anyone else think bobs real voice sound like he is sending his broadcast voice through the fast-forward feature of a Walkman? Not that it is a bad thing. It is just the first thought that popped into my head when I first heard it.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Bob, great episode but I disagree.

Sure they are arbitrary, and often mean, but Southpark most definitely has a single driving philosophy and perspective. Their message is larger than just one show can contain.

In other words it is impossible to grasp that philosophy by inspecting the content of any given episode. You have to look beyond the specific people, things, and ideas, that they ridicule and inspect the kinds of things they go gunning for.

Southpark's driving philosophy is very reminiscent of Penn & Teller's Bullshit. Be Skeptical of the current trend, don't believe something just because it's popular. They even make fun of their own show and put forth ideas so dumb they wouldn't expect anyone to buy into them completely.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait, people actually take SP seriously? Seriously??
Also, I like the Boston accent, but prefer your regular one.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Good episode. Very true, too.

Not sure whether it's a good or bad thing that Boston is widely represented by a class in an FPS over previous generation's representation of a president.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
I've had americans tell me I sound like a CNN broadcaster. They are quite surprised that most Canadians don't have the "aboot, eh" accent.

TJF588

Jan 29, 2009
Okay, that cutaway was olde news ta me, but the last part would've had me LOLing if I wasn't holding back a mouthful of mac & cheese.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Two things:

1. Please stop doing the "IS WEIRD" thing every chance you get, or at least speed it up at this point. It's a really old joke now that has expanded too far past its original locus. At this point, it's like hearing my dad say, "I can has Geritol?"

2. Who (besides you, apparently) is hearing people base their philosophy on single episodes of South Park? I've never heard of anythign like that, save people linking to pictures that tangentially deal with whatever they are discussing. This episode felt like a filler that pulled five minutes out of "South Park is only in it for the lulz."

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
Matt and Trey at one point said something among the lines of We hate republicans, but we hate liberals more. They're kinda moderates I suppose, but I don't really care.

ALSO Bob, if you must use your broadcast voice, can you do it in all your shows except The Big Picture? It just seems to fit. It's kinda a gangstery voice, it just works with the jazz them you have.

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
mrblakemiller said:
Two things:

1. Please stop doing the "IS WEIRD" thing every chance you get, or at least speed it up at this point. It's a really old joke now that has expanded too far past its original locus. At this point, it's like hearing my dad say, "I can has Geritol?"

2. Who (besides you, apparently) is hearing people base their philosophy on single episodes of South Park? I've never heard of anythign like that, save people linking to pictures that tangentially deal with whatever they are discussing. This episode felt like a filler that pulled five minutes out of "South Park is only in it for the lulz."

1: Agreed. He's milking it now. He's done it in every single episode for at least the past 2 months.

2: Yeah, I hear it all the time.

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
He almost like those British and Australian actors like Hugh Laurie and Russel Crowe who change their voice for a lot of their work. But I love the voice, man.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I so agree with this. Poking fun at things is way, way, completely and totally divorced from actually being in FAVOR of anything. This is why shows like Penn & Teller's Bullshit can get aired. They're not pushing FOR anything in particular, only AGAINST.

In real life, however, what matters isn't what you're AGAINST but what you are FOR. And South Park (or Bullshit) will never give you any kind of a guide as to what you should be FOR.

Enjoy it for what it is, that's the best you can do.

That being said, the Boston accent is fine if you prefer using it. Yahtzee gets a lot of mileage out of HIS regional accent, after all.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Last week:
Kysafen said:
Jesus fucking christ. Do you have to put a

*booming echoey voice here* *medium you're discussing in your episode here* ... ARE... WEIRD!!!!

in every god damn episode? It's getting old. Do something original for a change.
*episode starts*
TV...
IS...
WEIRD!

Well okay, not watching your crap show isn't going to hurt the world, anyway.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
The moral I got from this is:
1. South Park is hilarious (not a fan myself)
2. Libs like Bob are extremely irritated that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have right leaning philosophies and try their hardest to ignore it. So don't point it out to them!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I am... rather shocked.

I never knew South Park was in any way, shape or form taken as a political statement. In fact, I never even thought it was particularly meant to attack the people it... eh... well, attacks.

There's this ending to that one Simpsons episode where Lisa asks "So what did we learn today?" and Homer comes back with "Absolutely nothing". I always thought that was pretty much the foundational premise of South Park. It's topical, it's funny and sometimes it just directly insults people for shits and giggles. I mean, Ricky Gervais often picks on pretty much the same targets, and I never thought of *him* as a conservative icon, of all people.

I wonder if this a specifically American thing. Certainly the first I hear of a "South Park Republican".

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
razer17 said:
I always thought that South Park was more of a left wing show. Not that I'd ever take life lessons from it. The occasional episode will have some sort of message, usually deliver by Kyle saying "Today, I learned ....", but I certainly wouldn't use it as a reference point of morality. I mean, seriously, this is a TV show with a talking Towel who just loves to get high.
Same. I'm honestly stunned that there was ever a "South Park Conservative" movement - I always thought it was more of a left-wing show, too. They're pretty open about berating those who think they can police the sexuality and reproductive rights of others, a core foundation of conservatism >_>

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Yeah, I never liked people who took their ideas from South Park (or from anywhere outside their own personal experience for that matter), but I've always found that 98% of the things Matt and Trey say in that show, I already agree with, and that they explain the reason they hold those views much better than I ever could.

Also, Bob sounding like the Scout automatically makes him a hundred times more badass.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Who the heck cares about that JFK guy. Now Scout, that's a true American hero!

Nice episode Bob. Keep it up

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
Ì've never gotten into sout park, when i was young (and all friends started watching it) I dismissed it as immature and grossly offensive (but this is when i was about 12, so i took myself & everything WAY too seriously)
Now, so much of my friends speak by saying 'remember that bit in southpark where.....' and it confuses the hell out of me.
of some of the shows I have seen however, I enjoyed their ripping of certain areas of pop culture, or just news items, simply by the insane over the top directions they bring normal, mundane issues to.

Inspired by this episode, ill finally actually sit down and watch them.
Thanks Bob!

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
First of all: The accent thing is awesome. I kind of admire people able to control their accents, it's almost like speaking a second language.

now about this episode:

I believe South Park serves moral lessons, but do not follow a political agenda. They even joked about it in a episode saying they wouldn't get in the middle of something just to, in the end, deliver a message with their point of view.

The episode of changing south park flag that addresses racism and the episode addressing the media coverage around turning off or not the machine keping alive a terminal patient are two good examples.

Another one concerning gay tolerance:

"Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! ..."Tolerate" means you're just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still piss you off!" -- Mr. Garrison

hmm... thinking back I can see one reason or two as to why people think it follows a republican agenda.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Personally I think trying to read any kind of political alignment into a purely burlesque form of satire which has an 'open season' attitude towards almost any topic is completely misguided. What I like about South Park is how self-reflexive it is: the corny music that plays whenever Kyle goes 'I've learned something today', the self-parody in the form of Terrence and Phillip etc. If you can laugh at yourself, regardless of what your political alignment is, you and I are going to get along because in the end everyone has different opinions from time to time, but it's refreshing when someone doesn't hold their views in such hugh regard that they can't mock themselves. That, incidentally, is the main problem with the internet - everyone is so self-righteous.

cartoon 6

Jul 4, 2011
I almost completely agree with bob. I found alcholism the perfect example.

However Southpark did change my way of looking at some things.
For example the episode about smoking. I used to be very anti-smoke. But not anymore. I let people have their cigaret if they want.

But yeah for the most part it's just two awesome guys making awesome stuff.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Wow, I would have never guess your real voice is the accent.
The accent sounds fabricated where as the voice you normally use sounds natural.
Funny how things work out.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
DarthFennec said:
Yeah, I never liked people who took their ideas from South Park (or from anywhere outside their own personal experience for that matter), but I've always found that 98% of the things Matt and Trey say in that show, I already agree with, and that they explain the reason they hold those views much better than I ever could.

Also, Bob sounding like the Scout automatically makes him a hundred times more badass.
100 * 0 = 0 :D

Sorry, but Bob is anything but badass.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
People actually do the whole south park thing? I can't say that I've ever heard someone use it like that.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I don't get the impression that some people get their political views from South Park as much as they just kind of point to South Park to validate the opinions they already have. Which is kind of bizarre, especially since a lot of the time it's not impossible to find support for two opposing opinions in the same South Park episode.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Not sure that Starship Troopers is an endorsement of military-centric culture rather than a look at what can go wrong with such a culture.

I'm a far-left communist/anarcho-syndicalist/anti-capitalist - "No gay speeches, Kyle!" - and I find my views coincide with the vast majority of the opinions espoused by Matt and Trey through Southpark, and it espouses them very well. So I don't really understand the Southpark Republican thing. Yeah they make fun of Michael Moore, Al Gore and Jesse Jackson, but I do not identify with those people, so fair play. Maybe it's because, in Soviet America, left is right and right is far-right.

aristos_achaion

Dec 30, 2008
Great episode, Bob! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go pahk my cah in Hahvahd Yahd.

(Actually, damned if I'm spending the couple of hours and ~$16 to pahk my cah anywhere near Hahvahd Yahd, what with the T stop being right there, but you get the idea.)

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
You know, the "___ IS/ARE WEEEEEEIRD" thing is getting unstoppably annoying to me. I don't think there's anything Bob can do about that, but I just couldn't stand not to say so. It makes me want to stop watching every time it's uttered, but I don't want to miss what's "weeeeeeird" about the subject this time.

Fun to discover I was reading Bob's voice totally wrong.... or maybe more correct, since I read what he publicly puts out? Hmmm... thought must be put into this

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah ok I agree with all that, but gingervitus is a real disease and gingers have no souls. South Park has taught us this much at least.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
That last bit about the broadcast voice reminded me of my college graduation ceremony. Considering I was in the Comm Arts Department, the professor they had announce our names blew every other speaker out of the water. It is kind of jarring when you let a Biology professor with an awful speaking voice take over the mic right after an old AP sportscaster. >.<

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
For those people who watched the movie, Trey and Matt basically explained this very point: that people should have their own philosophy on life without basing it on or blaming it on the media. I'm not a huge south park fan, but it seemed like a reasonable enough point.

The accent...frankly I was originally hoping it was just a 'reboot' joke during the comic reboot episode about how we could get a Baaston Bob if we sufficiently offended Jesus. I get that that's how you normally talk, but...it's not a particularly appealing accent. Personally that accent also reminds me way too much of less-than-reputable gentlemen from NYC. If you can keep it under your hat and perhaps only bring it out for special occasions it might not overstay its welcome.

Speaking of overstaying its welcome "[BLANK] IS/ARE WEEEEIRRD" has definitely done so. It was cute the first time or two, but it's just not ominous enough to be funny.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Well, I don't watch much South Park, but I think the reason some people think that Matt and Trey are trying to espouse a particular viewpoint is that, for a lot of the episodes, they completely drop the jokes in favour of straight-up sermonizing. It wasn't like that in the first few seasons, and I think that's part of the reason I don't watch it much anymore, because I find it very tiresome.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Noelveiga said:
There's this ending to that one Simpsons episode where Lisa asks "So what did we learn today?" and Homer comes back with "Absolutely nothing". I always thought that was pretty much the foundational premise of South Park. It's topical, it's funny and sometimes it just directly insults people for shits and giggles.
Honestly,that's a fact. There is nothing South Park hasn't made fun of,the only time where a problem came up was in 200 & 201,which is why they were heavily censored AND never rerun again.

They didn't want to be blown up.

So yeah,I'm glad I didn't miss those episodes,because if I did,I could never see them again without buying the whole damn box set. Even then it's still censored.

OT:SERIOUSLY? There are people who use South Park as an example for living. what.
I'm sorry,but that makes no sense. But then again,some people don't know how to think for themselves I suppose,real sad.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
DarthFennec said:
That's generally how I feel about it.(I tend to agree even with the alcoholism episode, as it's not a diease, it's a symptom of something wrong with a person. Anything can be a addictive coping mechanicism. Hording, video game,s drugs etc. They re keeping us from seeing the real things wrong with ourselves we aren't happy about when it's not done in moderation.) They tend to get it right, not that I base my original conclusions off of South Park. Like Scientology, my father and great uncle both were deeply into it. My father took the good parts, and toss the rest away. He said, Scientology is not a faith but a business.

Ultimately my parents never shoved any faith down my throats despite I went to Church, and sunday school for a bunch of years with my sibling and my mom. The main theme I was taught by my parents, mainly my father was always take a bunch of different people's opinions and form your own based off their collective experiences and your own. Question everything and understand how it works for yourself. Do not just take people's word for it. That is why I wouldn't accept South Park as a sole means of saying that's why I believe what I believe.

I'm sure there's idiots that take South park as Gospel, but then there's idiots who find Moviebob insightful on his poltical views.(sorry man, you're bleeding heart liberal, my room mate whos a democrat even goes man Bob is waay too liberal for his own good.) May be Bob you should be telling them you're not an absolute either. Somehow I doubt you plan on dispelling your own bubbles.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Well, in my opinion, "getting your philosophy" from someone/something means that you're a twat without the capability to create your own mental compass. Followers in general are annoying. Stupid followers believing they are smart, are even more annoying.

Anyhow, people seem to miss the point with South Park. It isn't a moral philosophy lesson, it's satire. Do you know what satire is? It's about pointing out the stupidity of society by exaggerating it (if necessary).

And Scientology is very different from mormon faith because, guess what, they don't normally recruit by claiming to give a personality test that will give you the feedback that you're depressed and mentally ill, and that they can help you.
That is a huge difference. And, it's also the fact that the scientologists try to keep what their faith really is hidden (the whole Xenu stuff). South Park basically schooled pretty much most of their viewers in scientology by presenting it as comedy.

South park's political/philosophical side is SATIRE.

Don't you guys know what satire is? seriously? It seriously looks like people sue so damn much in the states that people are afraid of being satirical, that's sad.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Aureliano said:
Speaking of overstaying its welcome "[BLANK] IS/ARE WEEEEIRRD" has definitely done so. It was cute the first time or two, but it's just not ominous enough to be funny.
Quoted For Truth!
QFT!

Eetinam

Mar 27, 2011
I don't want to overly undermine Moviebob's point (I totally agree with it), but it is based on a slightly off interpretation of Parker and Stone's views. They've said before that what they really don't like about Scientology isn't its origin story, but the fact they charge money to be in their Church. Then because they're a comedy show they proceed to mock it while arguing the other way for Mormonism's origin story.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I was oblivious about the South Part phiosophy people... You're using a cartoon that uses violence and bad language as a source of your philosophies? I pitty you so much.

South Park is funny. Why would anyone look deeper into that?

*edit* When I heard the voice effect of IS WEIRD I want to kill someone. Bob... please... no... don't... again. Or I'll be blaming you in my trial.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And what's wrong with the Scout?

Oh right, flimsy hit points, lousy damage unless he's within inches of his target and a lousy selection of hats.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Its better then sounding like a high-rent Boby Kennedy, so there's that.

But don't worry, I'm from California so... like yeah, you know

OT:
I don't shape my views from South Park. On some of the more politically minded episodes, I reconsider my views.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well I think the point, if any, to be drawn from South Park (and in my eyes Family Guy too) is that you can't just laugh at the bits that take the piss out of stuff you hate, you have to learn to laugh at your own ideas. In this way I think it teaches you to view different opinions to yours in a more balanced way and less dismissively because you can see that from other people's perspectives you arguments may seem idiotic too.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I mean really people. It's just a comedy show. Don't take it so seriously that you make you socio-political beliefs match up with it exactly.

Also:
"Now it just makes me sound like the Scout." Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he sounded kinda like the scout, I didn't think it would be HIM who thought he sounded like the scout!
Birds fly, grass grows, and brotha, I hurt people.
*BOINK*
I'm a force-a-nature!
*BONK*
If you was from, where I was from, well you would be fuckin' dead!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wow... coming on the back on his absurd and pretty disgusting attack on members of the tea party last week, this show should start being called "The Bigoted Picture". Maybe people see a conservative message on South Park not because of any individual thing that was said, but the fact that there is so much to mock the liberal party about. Most of the people who count themselves among their members never so much as research the stance of the opposition, but take their personal liberal pundits at their word. Bob may know a thing or two about movies and pop culture, but the amount of nonsense he spouts concerning the Right is pretty laughable.

But thank you for masking your voice Bob. I was never really a fan of it to begin with, but it's better than your real accent.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im not sure if thats to fair, I mean I take things away from Southpark but they tend to be things ive come to on my own. Like the hate crime episode made me realise that sentancing crimals by taking into account why they commited the crime really wouldnt work over all as people (in this case judges) are all different and it just wouldnt be fair. I mean I loooooooove the show but I think theres global warming and I think Hybred cars are the future, those episodes seemed to be poking fun of the people more then the message anyway.

And as for an overall message isnt that "EVERYONES a target or NO ONES a target". Southparks great and its made me think about stuff but that doesnt mean I follow it blindly. Still a good ep though Mr.Bob, people should really think for themselves more.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
MrDeckard said:
drisky said:
And yet, there is living proof that words can radically change. If you said someone was "Queer" 100 years ago, it had NOTHING to do with being homosexual, it meant they were interesting.

Same with Gay. Happy!

Plus, words lose their power over time. For instance, if someone said "Poppycock" in the wrong decade, it was the worst thing you could ever do! But now "Fuck" and "Shit" are part of many peoples daily speech. Censoring and forcing people to never say things only gains those word power and makes them MORE offensive.

Yes, The F-Word episode may not have had the perfect message, but it's a start. I agree that if something like fag is said with harmful intention to a person who would be offended, it is bad. But intention is important.

If we completely disregard intention in words and allow reception to govern them completely, words lose meaning and I could say your use of the word "The" is offensive to me.

I will accept that the other episode is ABSOLUTELY contradictory though.

Sorry for the longness, just had to get that out.
The problem I had with that is gay and queer turned in to words with very different meanings. Fag went from "person that I hate (for being homosexual) to "person that I hate (for any reason that I determine). Both terms are 100% meant to offend someone. If you take a sentience containing gay or queer in it out of context you can still determine intent. Do the same with fag and you can't really tell if in is homophobic or not. Because of this I don't think we should act like they are completely different words, because they are contextually the same, a low brow insult.

Of course the point is these are opinions, not complete moral truths like people treat them. In that way it is the people that call me homophobic for being offended, while they are in fact morally enlightened and superior, they are the ones that really bother me. But they aren't being morally enlightened, they are being aggressive and mean, just to a different kind of person.

Edit: Oh one last thing, I feel that fuck and shit are a completely different issue because they are not about people.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'm sorry, but I'm forced to draw Death of the Author on this one. Whether or not the guys who made South Park intend to deliver a message or not is completely and utter irrelevant. Just like Fahrenheit 451 is about censorship regardless of whatever Ray Bradbury wants it to be about, if South Park can as a narrative help me refind my own world views the authors' intention has no bearing whatsoever.

It's a silly source for such things, but I defend any unorthodox sources, seeing that my own is Calvin and Hobbes.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm going to disagree with Bob on this. I don't think that it is fair to say that you can't take some lessons from South Park. If for no other reason than because I don't have clear concise beliefs. If you ask me about my beliefs on one thing, you'd probably see me as left leaning while my other beliefs might make you think I lean to the right. I think most people are like this. The media and politicians like to think that people are simple and conform to certain preset beliefs, but that isn't true. We all have complicated beliefs.

For example, I support both the Death Penalty and Abortion. Yes, even late term abortions in the event of certain complications or emergencies. Is that such a simple and concise message to convey? Should people not listen to what I have to say because I don't have a certain overall liberal or conservative message?

I'm not saying you should live you life according to what South Park and Matt and Trey Parker say. But I don't think it's fair to disregard that aspect just because they have a complicated concept or the show is funny.

As for the accent. I can understand why you don't use it during your "respectable" work. The Boston accent does rub some people the wrong way. Then again, most "in your face" accents do. I absolutely hate the valley girl accent. Not even a fan of the Southern Belle accent. I think what got most people is that in you last video it just seemed random. You'd have it for all of a sentence and then you'd be back in your "normal" speech making voice. The fact that it was so random and over so quick, I think made it stand out so much. It did for me at least. Every time you'd slip into the Boston accent, it kinda knocked me off my train of thought.

Also, my spell check suggested speechifying when I wrote "speechmaking" in that paragraph. Somehow that just makes me sad.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Haven't watched South Park very consistently so I don't think I could say I base my entire life around it. That said, what? You can't get life lessons out of South Park? Bob, you pointed specifically to ManBearPig as an example. Well, I just watched that episode, and I think the message was pretty clear: Al Gore feared that he was no longer relevant, so he invented a boogeyman for people to fear, came up with a series of solutions which only caused more harm, and in the end took credit for saving everyone from something that was never a threat. Guess what, Bob? THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED. Moral of the story: Don't make life worse by fighting imaginary problems.

What's bothering you about South Park isn't that it doesn't have to do with an inconsistent message, but rather that the show frequently turns against your own ideology. So, I'd say this episode was less for our benefit than for yours, providing a vehicle for allowing you to watch the show without offending your far-left "conscience" (for lack of a better word).

No, there's not enough in South Park to form a philosophy around, I'll grant that, but saying there's no valuable messages to be found in it is also wrong. And by the way, Andrew Sullivan is a TERRIBLE example of a conservative. If he was any more of a RINO people would be hunting him for his horn.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Dunno why I watched this... I am not American nor do I particular like South Park.

But heres a comment about the accent! LOL Y0U $OUND L13K 7EH $C0U7!

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
CM156 said:
Mangue Surfer said:
Some people will prefer to buy their ideas from a rad cartoon than from a 19th century man who had a strange relationship with his nazi sister.
Wait, are you talking about Friedrich Nietzsche? Or am I thinking of someone else

OT: You seem to be a bit more non-partisan Bob. Kudos on that.
Yes, is Nietzsche.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I always figured the entire point of South Park was to make fun of everyone and everything that could possibly be mocked for any reason. I don't think any major political movement, religious belief, corporation, organization, or celebrity has been spared in South Park's run.

Kinda funny how some people like to point out the episodes in which South Park happened to be making fun of whatever they agree with like it's something special.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I take lessons from South Park when it agrees with me. Which is almost all the time.

Also, I think it's funny because one of the guys (not sure if Parker or Stone) said something about religion making more sense than athiesm, which I guess would make at least on philosophical viewpoint between Parker and Stone conflicting - their opinion on religion. Hmmm.

Well I think South Park basically has everyone and everything in their sights anyway. Except World of Warcraft. Even when the South Park boys became grotesque carpal tunnel-inflicted half-humans, the tone implied Parker and Stone are totally fine with World of Warcraft. ...huh.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
While I?ll admit that the show has had some hilarious moments, a lot of it basically amounted to Matt and Trey beating up on straw men. That more than anything is probably why some people (especially in the political realm) would try to label it as philosophy.

Anyways, I've always been on again and off again with South Park but I stopped watching the show entirely a couple of years ago. Mostly because it got to the point where it stopped being funny and became mean spirited than anything else.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I'm certain someone said this already. The message about Mormonism was about acceptance, or at the very least tolerance in some fashion. The scientology episodes were meant to prod at the lawsuit hungry higher-ups, hence the "We'll SUE you!" that went on for two full minutes and the names being altered to John Smith and Jane Smith for the credits.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Totally called out the Boston accent!

Also south park fan here, yes its satire but I think some episodes can really do point out social message. Like you said yourself bob you liked the episode on censorship, so its really only a message when it pertains to you? Other episodes are just about fun and silly.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
I found most episodes were common sense oriented attacking the over reactions of a particular group. I need more than Trey and Matt for source material for my views(HUMANCENTiPAD's take on click-to-accept agreements/contracts is one I've held for a while now though as with many people on this site who don't like the EULAs).

And who wants to be part of a group that changes political views on an episode to episode basis.

Canadian columnist Jaime J. Weinman observes that the most die-hard conservatives who identified themselves as "South Park Republicans" began turning away from the label when the show ridiculed Republicans in the season nine (2005) episode "Best Friends Forever".
Shows how deep their beliefs were doesn't it?

My personal favorite episode from this season at this point is "City Sushi". Political/Social views be damned, it's just a really funny episode.
I would never say that my views align very much with those of Parker and Stone, as theirs do seem to be opportunistic and "everybody is dumb but us" more often than not, or simply "let's make fun of this person, because they're famous," which of course replaced "let's make fun of this person, because they DON'T DESERVE TO BE famous" (Paris Hilton is a Stupid Spoiled Whore, anyone?). But one thing I've noticed is that they ALWAYS make fun of Republicans.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Thank you Mr. Chipman, I don't really care much for South Park one way or the other, but these people who use South Park as the corner stone of their personal philosophy (Or worse, hearing some of the jokes and mistaking them for facts) are among the most irritating human beings that have ever existed.

Also, I actuall like your Boston accent Bob, Boston is one of my favorite American cities, though I will say that it is a bit jarring to hear you switch from one voice to the other within the same sentence.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
Two things:

1. I blame as much of the "South Park is news" idea on John Stewart and Steve Colbert as I do Matt and Trey. Yes, South Park existed well before, BUT TDS has toed the line of "comedy as politics" as often as any other in TV history. You can go even further back and blame Lenny Bruce for making fun of the establishment and helping to inspire Pryor and Carlin. Bottomline, South Park is part of a wave of Comedy is Politics brand shows, but one that remembers to take a HUGE shit for laughs sake at least once an episode.

1.5 I'm from SF, and the smug episode is out personal douchebag test. If you loved it, not a douchebag. Got offended? Fuck off, hippie!

2. Eric Cartman is the sum total of all good and bad elements of being an American. He is the Everyman for our time. We need to raise the bar!

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
Rogue 09 said:
Most of the people who count themselves among their members never so much as research the stance of the opposition, but take their personal liberal pundits at their word.
While your statement can be true in a variety of cases, we are certainly not the only side who sometimes believes at face value and does no further research. If we were judging on voters who attend town hall meetings and debates: right wingers have accused Obama of being an Arab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QhJJBfwJME&feature=related) and when Ron Paul was asked the question (paraphrased) "should the government let the uninsured die?" audience members shouted "yes" O(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irx_QXsJiao).

Any logical mind should find the hypocrisy with that second example, AND, the blind, uninformed belief fed to the right wing masses by politicians and pundits that were never fact-checked by those who still believe it, that Obamacare was setting up Death Panels to "kill the elderly". The elderly being especially prone to not being able to afford healthcare, and therefore part of the "the government should let the uninsured die" sentiment. Of course, the average right wing voter, if faced with the death of a loved one for not having health care, would still blame Obama because Glenn Beck said so.

I know we have some wingnuts on our side. I invite you to research and present them.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Wait a second....

No, I object to this episode. While I've never personally said "I believe in this South Park Episode" before, they do have some very good points every once in a while.

Yes, it's funny before it's serious, but that doesn't mean that it can accidentally have a good point every once in a while. Everyone at one point in their internet life uses a quote from that show.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
My question is: Would you say the same about Penn and Teller's Bullshit?

A lot of the issues lampooned on South Park (the more recent episodes) are very similar to the topics covered on Penn and Teller. A lot of them come to the same conclusion. Penn and Teller, however claim that they are backed up by a team of crack researchers and the purpose of their show is to educate the audience on some very important issues (albeit often in a crass way).

I would say gaining your political views from a cartoon is no worse than getting it from an internet forum, political speech (that always dodges the issue), paid advertisement that glosses over all the details and etc. At least the cartoon tends to be more accessible, less condescending and often spurs people to do their own research (which is the best outcome). At the worst it's another nutjob getting his views from popular media.

At least South Park doesn't pretend that it's serious.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
Whoa, accent! Cool.

I think South Park is a decent show. But, I have noticed one trend: Usually, any given episode on any given topic explores why both extreme sides of the issue are stupid. So, I guess you could say that the creators consistently endorse something as simple as actually thinking about both sides of an issue... not just taking a knee-jerk, extreme position. They definitely waver from that message here and there, pushing their own take a bit more on occasion. But, if you look at the Mormon episode... they spent most of the episode going over how crazy Mormon beliefs are, then pointed out that completely writing someone off based on their beliefs alone is a dick thing to do. I'd say that's pretty balanced.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I never liked South Park since it single-handedly created the market for calling other people "Jew" or "Fag" in school.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
I don't get it ... South Park can't make a good socio-political point, just because it's all over the map?

It's actually quite the opposite. Trey and Matt, by devoting themselves to whatever happens to piss them off at the moment instead of a steady message, have provided a BETTER social commentary than someone who dodges certain issues because they're (as you put it) sacred cows. Not having a dedicated and uniformed message allowed them to point out flaws EVERYWHERE.

And yes, flaws exist EVERYWHERE. No one ideology or religion or political stance is perfect.

One of the big concepts on Star Trek (particularly TNG) was the elimination of poverty with the invention of replicators. Once food was effectively free, no one went hungry and everyone lived happily ever after. But, their left-of-center base doesn't allow them to contemplate the potential for rampant obesity, or crash in human productivity once everyone realized they didn't have to work hard to put food on the table. Might have made for some thought-provoking episodes

Is everything on South Park gold? No, don't be ridiculous. South Park takes everything up to 11, just to make it funnier. But generally the lunatic fringe of whatever issue they're tackling DOES exist, and really is as mind-numbingly pants-on-head-retarded as portrayed in the episode. For example, I play WoW. I'm also a Marine, in damned good physical shape, I've deployed to the deserts a few times, and I can accurately engage a man-sized target from 500 yards using an M-16 without the assistance of a scope or any support (bipod, sandbag, etc) I got a kick out of the WoW episode of South Park because I know there really are people like that. I see the little nuggets of truth buried in there, and I see the obvious embellishment layered on for comedic purposes.

And it's funny. It's REALLY funny.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
You sound like that dude from The Big Bang Theory who can't pronounce his R's like Elmer Fudd.

But yeah it sounds a bit like the Scout. Now let's hear a BONK!

Also South Park is a godly show. I honestly love it.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Golan Trevize said:
DarthFennec said:

What are you talking about, Bob is totally badass XD

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
I must be the only person who's never run across the "I get my beliefs from South Park" type on the net then.

I do find that many eps of SP mirror my own beliefs and ideas, like alcoholism not being a disease (throw obesity in there too and it's a double-whammy. There's no virus or bacteria that cause either of these. They're self inflicted. One's a chemical addiction, the other is, damned if I know. Those are arguments for another thread tho), but South Park is just a cartoon made to entertain, amuse and possibly annoy as many people as possible.

Taking your belief structure from a cartoon is as stupid as taking your belief system from, well, a religious institution, really. If you're not smart enough to work stuff out yourself, do us all a favour: Wear one of those signs Bill Engval has been talking about for years and stay OUT of public life/office.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
South Park is...

In mu subjective opinion, it's 90% shit. The 10% of it is brilliant, but I don't really feel like going through the shit to get to the gold.

Most of the time.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Wow I had no idea such idiots existed, thank god I don't know any they do sound extremely annoying.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I personally liked south park whether it took on something I liked or something I hated. If I hated the thing, I could be amused by the takedown. If I liked it, I could be amused by how overblown the takedown tended to be. Plus, there were generally plenty of jokes that worked whatever I thought of it.

It's why I found it so grating when Chef left due to the scientology episode. By leaving essentially because the episode was offensive to his religion, he implied that he really intended to offend everyone who was made fun of in all the previous episodes, rather than just poking a little jab at it.

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
the accent makes me laugh but at the same time im confused.
is it a joke? no? people really talk like that? interesting
please revert back to the fake accent its distracting and too much for my mind to handle. :S
i thought the UK was bad for various accents and custom languages. and im Welsh!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Always loved south park's view on things. I agree that taking south park literally (and using their points as proof they're right) is idiotic, but refering to an episode to explain how stupid you find certain things in the world, is ok with me.

Examples:
I dont believe in 9/11 conspiracies, but for me south park's 9/11 conspiracy is still the only 9/11 conspiracy that slightly make sense :D

I dont think all who dont share my religion are raging haters like Stan in the mormon episode, but the episode shows the retardedness of religious animosity and judging someone plainly on their belief (ignoring all their other qualities).

deanzig

Jul 24, 2010
Please, please, please talk naturally, Bob.

Regardless, Trey Parker and Matt Stone are obviously nihilists.

Nihilists! Fuck me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
I have the exact same issues with people who quote The Daily Show or Colbert as their source for preferred reality. It's COMEDY. I love these shows, and also South Park, because they're funny. Not because I think that Shakeweights dispense cab fare when you're done.

That said, it's disingenuous to suggest that no actual political or social thought goes into South Park, any more than it would be to suggest the same about Daily or Colbert. What there is, is bound up primarily in the technique of mirrored logic, where the fallacy of a concept (and thus why it should be laughed at) is revealed by flipping the idea on its head and seeing what falls out.

Taking any of this at face value would, and does, defeat the entire point being made.

One such example? Right here in Bob's review, where he claims that the Mormon episode DOESN'T bash the religion in question like happened in the Scientology episode. Quite the contrary: Matt and Trey call bull$#!+ on both religions equally as being valid spiritual paths (and, apropos of nothing, also poke fun at religious factionalism in a different episode by having Heaven become a guessing game where you go to hell --- unless you picked "Mormon" as your faith).

The point, in both cases, has to do with the behavior exhibited by the people belonging to each religion. For all that Mormonism is attacked as made-up-BS in South Park, it is also recognized that Mormons themselves turn out to be decent folks you wouldn't mind having as neighbors. This is compared to Scientology, which --- well, it's Scientology. A Mormon may stop at asking you to take a free copy of "The Book", but Scientologists can't stop worrying until you get "cleared" via a few hundred expensive hours of "auditing".

By taking these episodes at face value, it seems Bob missed the point on his way to letting all of us know that we shouldn't take South Park's episodes at face value.

...okay.

EDIT: Also, "South Park Republicans" was a term coined to refer to those in the center-right spectrum. At the time Sullivan coined it, he was a Bush voter (2001) who later shifted to support Democrats in general, then Kerry and Obama in their respective presidential races.

He is renowned for having a variety of left-wing as well as right-wing views.

So, no. Not the "Limbaugh Republican Archetype" you were shooting for, Bob.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Generic Gamer said:

This, right here, is pretty much exactly what I got out of this week's show. I'd bet ten bucks Bob wouldn't have a problem if South Park said more things he agrees with. South Park is pretty much the only widely viewed piece of satire that lends any sort of credence to conservative views at all. Seth McFarlane, being a well-known liberal, tends to make any sort of message to his shows left-leaning. Jon Stewart goes after Republicans FAR more than Democrats, and when he does take aim at the Dems, such as in the famous face-to-face chastising of Obama, it's for not being liberal enough or backing down from liberal values. Colbert's whole shtick is an over-the-top impersonation of conservative talking heads. SNL spent the entire last decade ridiculing Bush at every turn but won't touch Obama (though to be fair, that may be as much to avoid any accidental racism as it would be any agreement in ideology). It's widely known that in the entertainment business in general that liberals exponentially outnumber conservatives, and those conservatives who get any sort of respect are few and far between: Chuck Norris, Kelsey Grammer, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and Mel Gibson before he went insane being the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, and of those, only Norris, Arnold and Redford were ever vocal about it, as compared to so many other Hollywood types who wear their liberalism on their sleeve. Within that list, only Kelsey Grammer works primarily in comedy, and his comedy is never overtly political in nature.

The point I'm trying to make is that conservative satire is a rare thing, and I just got the feeling that in this video, Bob was just angry that South Park provides some satire conservatives can look to for enjoyment without being the butt of the joke every time. Though with a character like Cartman and Matt and Trey's "nobody is safe" philosophy when it comes to the show, they still are the butt of the joke quite often.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
MovieBob said:
Out of the Park

You shouldn't turn to South Park for life lessons.

Watch Video
Y'know, I've learned something today. People shouldn't draw their personal philosophy or political beliefs from a cartoon on TV. We shouldn't rely on other people to tell us what to think, though it is reasonable to be influenced by others' beliefs and consider adopting them ourselves, our beliefs and opinions must always be ours. Culture is not a crutch, and we are each responsible for our decisions whether or not they were on TV.

Wait, this is the life lesson that is consistently presented on South Park, every disaster is caused (or made worse) by a mass response that isn't thought out by anybody...often influenced by television or celebrity.

What South Park provides is exactly what society needs right now, no - not fart jokes, but an eye for critical thinking and a reluctance to ever side with one side on every issue.

I think it's completely irresponsible to look at any philosopher / politician / thinker and draw the entirity of your beliefs from them. Most of all that's just lazy, but even worse is that it means the theory/belief is not being tested, just treated with blind faith. Any author/activist who doesn't actively spur and challenge their followers is irresponsible, and a pretty sucky leader. South Park, whatever their personal philosophy may be, acts in this way, and I'm glad the term "South Park Republican" has dissolved as it has.

I'm a bit unsure of these people saying: "Don't take South Park seriously!" because, well, the issues it deals with are serious, and they usually come up with some worrying points concerning them, all of which is very relevant. I wouldn't conflate "No explicit, concrete message," with "Nothing of worth to take away," because they do deal intelligently with issues, and often have something relevant to say that isn't raised elsewhere.

In a nutshell, South Park is fantastic precisely because it lacks a dogmatic message, but that doesn't mean it is 'just a cartoon' and therefore politically or philosophically irrelevant, just that its worth isn't in providing a consistent belief system, only a constant and consistent challenge to our beliefs and actions.

Jensu

Aug 18, 2008
I thought that the main problem they had with scientology was the whole cult thing... Im not sure, but im pretty confident that Mormonism isnt a cult.
I enjoy watching you're videos though, always gives me something to think about :p

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Wait, wait, wait that's your real voice?

You mean to tell me this whole time we've been listening to generic radio voice when we could've had JFK?

C'mon Bob, do at least one episode in your normal voice.

OT: I honestly have never really watched South Park that much so I can't really comment.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
i7omahawki said:
MovieBob said:
Out of the Park

You shouldn't turn to South Park for life lessons.

Watch Video
Y'know, I've learned something today. People shouldn't draw their personal philosophy or political beliefs from a cartoon on TV. We shouldn't rely on other people to tell us what to think, though it is reasonable to be influenced by others' beliefs and consider adopting them ourselves, our beliefs and opinions must always be ours. Culture is not a crutch, and we are each responsible for our decisions whether or not they were on TV.

Wait, this is the life lesson that is consistently presented on South Park, every disaster is caused (or made worse) by a mass response that isn't thought out by anybody...often influenced by television or celebrity.

What South Park provides is exactly what society needs right now, no - not fart jokes, but an eye for critical thinking and a reluctance to ever side with one side on every issue.

I think it's completely irresponsible to look at any philosopher / politician / thinker and draw the entirity of your beliefs from them. Most of all that's just lazy, but even worse is that it means the theory/belief is not being tested, just treated with blind faith. Any author/activist who doesn't actively spur and challenge their followers is irresponsible, and a pretty sucky leader. South Park, whatever their personal philosophy may be, acts in this way, and I'm glad the term "South Park Republican" has dissolved as it has.

I'm a bit unsure of these people saying: "Don't take South Park seriously!" because, well, the issues it deals with are serious, and they usually come up with some worrying points concerning them, all of which is very relevant. I wouldn't conflate "No explicit, concrete message," with "Nothing of worth to take away," because they do deal intelligently with issues, and often have something relevant to say that isn't raised elsewhere.

In a nutshell, South Park is fantastic precisely because it lacks a dogmatic message, but that doesn't mean it is 'just a cartoon' and therefore politically or philosophically irrelevant, just that its worth isn't in providing a consistent belief system, only a constant and consistent challenge to our beliefs and actions.
Wow. What a fantastic post, you really hit the nail on the head for me.

Great job!

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I haven't met anyone that takes the whole show as something to live by so I can't very well speak on their reasoning, but I will say I'd like to think most of the people that draw influence from it, whether they talk about it or not, realize there isn't any particular overarching thing to take away from it (except maybe, as someone said, "get some perspective", or maybe "don't take things too seriously"), but that a lot of individual episodes do have lessons or at least information that can be of help. I know it's provided me with a lot of things to think about, and I usually agree with the conclusion reached about them on the show in general or by the main characters, if there is one.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Calbeck said:
One such example? Right here in Bob's review, where he claims that the Mormon episode DOESN'T bash the religion in question like happened in the Scientology episode.
[snip]
For all that Mormonism is attacked as made-up-BS in South Park, it is also recognized that Mormons themselves turn out to be decent folks you wouldn't mind having as neighbors.
Do you see why your post is messed up? If not, I'll tell you didn't say they didn't bash Mormonism, he talked about the "overall positive point" (I'm paraphrasing here)... which is what you just brought up.
As for watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report for news (where did you get "reality" from?), it's because I trust their reporting more than a lot of other reporting and because they're funny. I've seen the accusation about republican and democratic inequality on those shows and I don't think it holds, they attack any stupid idea that's funny enough-- which may be a key factor, a lot of stuff they could be talking about just isn't that funny. I don't know how you're classifying and sorting things but a lot of what you might see as saying democrats aren't being liberal enough is actually just talking about how they're weak.

Adahn one

Jul 7, 2010
It's funny I did not even realize that he speaks with an accent. Apparently if you're not out of the English-speaking country you dont get it.
As for South Park, it should not carry the message. Enough that it shows things from a different angle and did not hesitate of anything.

MrEctomy

Sep 24, 2010
This might be the first episode of The Big Picture where I completely disagree with moviebob. As far as I can understand, bob's problem with people adopting stances from South Park is that South Park doesn't have an overaching philosophy, and hence shouldn't be taken seriously? What? It sounds like moviebob feels that something can only be a legitimate source of philosophy unless it assigns itself to a specific group or ideology. But why can't you have differing opinions on different issues? There are independents and moderates (like me!) who maybe believe a few things the Republicans say, and a few things the Democrats say. Or a few things the Objectivists say and a few things the Subjectivists say. Why can't Trey Parker & Matt Stone be against one thing and for another? It's not contradictory if they're not r...elated. And besides, issues aren't so cut & dry.
By the way, the mormonism vs. scientology episodes are actually not contradictory at all. They are just as offended by Mormonism as they are by Scientology. Only they attack the lack of critical thinking and stupidity of its followers in regards to Mormonism (I found these gold plates! NO, you can't see them, just trust me), and Scientology they just take a step further because it's so completely insane. I honestly don't know how anyone could think that Trey Parker & Matt Stone are "okay" with Mormonism. The whole Book of Mormon play is a no holds barred mockery of the religion. "I Believe" points out all the ridiculous things that Mormons actually believe (much like they did with the Scientology episode). "All American Prophet" summarizes the history of the Mormon church, complete with Trey & Matt's signature mockeries interspersed. "Turn if Off" mocks the belief that Mormons have that Homosexuality is wrong and if you get those urges you should just "turn it off". I could go on, but the point is that Trey & Matt are far from okay with Mormonism. They mock it just as much as they do Scientology.
Okay, so with that out of the way, I fail to see what point bob is trying to make about something requiring a consistent or overarching philosophy in order to be legitimate enough to take seriously. There is nothing wrong with approaching issues individually and exploring them one at a time. There doesn't need to be an overarching philosophy with South Park because each episode is its own self-contained entity. Sure, there are characters and a general storyline like in any other series, but one day mecha-streisand is marching through South Park, and the next day there's a giant pile of rednecks having gay sex in the town square. It's silly. It's a comedy show primarily, but this is a comedy show where the creators love to express their stances on issues intelligently, fully, and in such a way that there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't seriously consider their arguments. And they KNOW that. They WANT people to listen to them, and consider what they say. The "What did we learn today?" segments at the end of each episode are slightly tongue-in-cheek, yes, but they use that time to summarize what point they were trying to make, and even though the episode itself might have been silly as hell, there is a legitimate argument in there.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
DarthFennec said:
Golan Trevize said:
DarthFennec said:

What are you talking about, Bob is totally badass XD
Of course he is. ;)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No Bob, you don't need a general philosophy to be able to make a good point.

The Great ideas are all dead anyway and have been for decades now.

If they make a good point on South Park, by all means link the scene to your own rant. A good argument is always a good argument nomatter where it comes from. Besides it's usually a good laugh.

Razzigyrl

Mar 22, 2011
Well, Bob, I think your normal speaking voice rocks, whether or not most people will think 'Scout' or 'JFK'. In my region, our accent is flat & boring American Standard, and it's incredibly cool to hear something that's not that or the tiny occasional southern twang. I can't speak for others, of course, but I'd like to hear more of it. :)

More about the point of this video, it seems (to me, at least) to be a bad idea in general to stick to one source of info on which to base your opinions and philosophy. Whether you draw from one book or one show or even one musician, you're limiting yourself to the content of one person's outside perspective. Unfortunately, lots of folks are quite lazy, and to learn, a person has to put forth effort. In the end, I can only hope that the people saying 'I got this from South Park!', or really any non-documentary TV program, are just trolling.

One can hope, right?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
im not sure i believe thats his real voice. im not saying hes lying, necessarily...but it kinda sounds like a stereotype of a new york accent

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
people who actually take lessons from southpark shouldn't be aloud to breed.

OT: Scot>JFK

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I'm sorry but if you honestly think that South Park is one of the most single important things to hit TV then you've really lost alot of points in my books. And you're right the people that do trumpet it are really annoying.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Well some episodes got some good points, but it's not like i would use south park in a political argument. : P

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Im kinda torn on the subject of South Park personally. I whole hearty agree with bob that people shouldnt try to take South Park as a philosophy,(which begs the question of how moronic americans are that they take advise from that) however as far as the show goes...Meh

I used to like it, hell I'd eagerly await new episodes for awhile, but lately within the past few years its been very hit and miss. The Cartoon Wars and Imaginationland eps where my favorites in the series, but those gems are the few diamonds. I feel that within the past 3-4 years Matt and Trey have gone a bit far with some of the jokes and jabs not necessarily things that even need to be joked about.

Really alot of South Park is a little on the extreme side, I know thats part of the gag but even Family Guy doesnt go so far.

Ive grown out of SP and I dont think I'll really watch it again.

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
When I think of Boston accent, I imagine people with fedora's, coats, suits and are serious and professional.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
1. Maybe South Park guys just have different opinions about different religions. There are a number of different positions besides you can take besides just a blanket "they are all equally good/bad." They see Mormonism are silly and benign and Scientology as even more silly and pathological. This isn't very difficult to understand.

2. I can think of at least one political stance consistently backed by South Park. South Park hates political correctness.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Honestly the episodes themselves have no real message you should be following at all. But if you understand the background of some of the stuff going on behind the show, it is a lot more morally correct.
Example: Episode 200 and 201 were censored by comedy central for depicting Mohammed (And tom cruise). Because CC threw such a shitfit, they decided the mid season finale (Episode after 201) would be entirely making fun of disabled children, and wasn't censored by comedy central at all. I really admire them for appealing to stupid people who take the show literally, and the people who understand it's context, and doing both better then any other show out there. Family guy appeals to stupid people... and thats about it. The Simpsons is way too politically correct to have any purpose at all.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Primus1985 said:
Im kinda torn on the subject of South Park personally. I whole hearty agree with bob that people shouldnt try to take South Park as a philosophy,(which begs the question of how moronic americans are that they take advise from that) however as far as the show goes...Meh

I used to like it, hell I'd eagerly await new episodes for awhile, but lately within the past few years its been very hit and miss. The Cartoon Wars and Imaginationland eps where my favorites in the series, but those gems are the few diamonds. I feel that within the past 3-4 years Matt and Trey have gone a bit far with some of the jokes and jabs not necessarily things that even need to be joked about.

Really alot of South Park is a little on the extreme side, I know thats part of the gag but even Family Guy doesnt go so far.

Ive grown out of SP and I dont think I'll really watch it again.
What episode of south park do you feel has gone too far?

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I am disappoint; I thought Bob's lapse into his Baaahhhhhston accent was a subtle play at changing the continuity of his own production and "expecting" the viewers to carry on just as though nothing had happened. You know, like your standard Geoff Johns ret-con. Turns out I was overthinking it.

Speaking of overthinking, it could just be me, but the irony of the Starship Troopers comparison is that, while the original Heinlein novel was a pretty rah-rah-military affair, I interpreted the tone of the recent film adaptation as being more satirical in nature, telling a lot of the same story, but with a tongue in one's cheek as the realization dawns that war is cyclical, we're not so different from the bugs, and as per the newsreels, we have always been at war with Eastasia.

The one thing that always irked me as being the lynchpin of some gen-Xer's philosophy is the movie Fight Club. Yes, it was a good film, and yes, it brought Brad Pitt out of the long-haired pretty-boy phase of his career into the short-spiky-cut shades-wearing badass phase, and yes, it was a good treatise on nihilism, though not to the extent of the book. But there was a better movie about a lot of the same concepts of nihilism and free thought and subversion of establishment that came out in the same year... I think it was called The Matrix or something.

But the quality of the film notwithstanding, it drives me nuts when people get all like "Fight Club totally redefined my life" and so forth. It's a MOVIE. You guys remember that part where Ed Norton was trying to "awaken" the brainwashed masses in the Durden compound, shouting at them "YOU ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS" and they respond in their bland monotone "we are aaallll indiviiiiiduals"... they think they've been set free from an oppressive establishment, when in fact they just fell into another collective with the illusion of freedom because they are TOLD they are free and don't have the will or self-awareness to establish that for themselves. When your entire perspective on life, the universe, and everything is based on a MOVIE that was designed to EXTRACT MONEY from you so that the studio can PROFIT from your entertainment and so-called enlightenment, guess what? THAT'S YOU. YOU ARE THEM. WAKE UP, FIGHT CLUB DOUCHEBAG! /rant over

Also, Bob... WHERE ARE SAMURAI PIZZA CATS?!? WE DEMAND SATISFACTION!

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
I have to agree. I've never looked to South Park for a coherent ideology. It's always been a light-heartened show that uses satire to take down all sorts of things a peg or two. The fact that it pokes fun at beliefs all across the board (as opposed to other shows) means I have no problem with it having a sacred cow roast because I know it's just having some fun and showing the ridiculousness of certain things (some being more ridiculous than others).

Also, was not expecting that accent change.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
SP has always been hit or miss with me. They often bring up important topics but they often neglect to show the big picture (no pun intended) and over simplify complex issues and for the young audience that watches it can be harmful, because they use half formulated arguments from a cartoon as a reference for their opinion. Instead of I don't know an actual book or something.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Alas, the point seems to have been missed.

Or maybe it wasn't, but I think so. It seems to me that there's a strangely large group of 'trumpeters', or 'parrot'-ers, who will latch onto not only South Park-isms, but any particularly useful sound byte that supports their ideas. Or what someone has told them their ideas are.

Once the parroting starts, its pretty obvious that these guys have been eating up somebody else's idealogy with a spoon and a fork. Yet its impossible to take away a complete philosophy from curiously narrow opinions - regardless of how authoritative they are. So the obvious way to set about buttressing their positions is in the same way as they started; grabbing onto more sound bytes and fragments of popular culture. Logic and critical thinking didn't fall by the wayside, they were discarded before step one.
Hey Bob! You made a suggestion in a Junk Drawer spot, and I'd like to see you follow up on it. And if there's not enough material for 5 minutes, you could make it a two-for. You see, I would really like to see a retrospective review for Big Trouble in Little China. Maybe as a two-for with Escape from New York. See, I have this nutty idea that Carpenter was trying to put horror elements in EFNY, but Carpenter's idea of horror is just to have sorta creepy stuff in the background with audio stingers when they blandly emerge. It's all for nothing because Carpenter's monsters aren't particularly scary. So EFNY ended up being half an action flick in the ruins of an awful horror film. But BTiLC was always pretty darn cool.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
JPArbiter said:
Were people really making THAT MUCH of a deal out of his Bostonian accent? Seriously? I thought it was general knowlege this guy was from New England, and people from New England sound weird. heck his broadcast voice sounds Bostonian to me, maybe cause I am a midwesterner.
Same. He gives it a valliant effort but he doesn't quite nail the generic middle american broadcast accent 100%.

One thing that I find kind of amusing is that after a few years of living down here in Australia I can't fucking understand many regional American accents anymore, but I can make out what a drunken bogan is screaming at 3 o clock in the morning.

I guess you just get used to it...

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I was always under the impression that manbearpig was less about global warming and more about how annoying it was that Al Gore wanted people to pay attention to him since no one cared about anything he had to say. But yeah, I see your point.

South Park is a great show. I hope no one mistakes it as anything more than that.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Saw this episode once, and it's great.

However, the episode has recently been having problems loading. Tried watching them on other computers and it keeps taking forever to load, if not loading at all.

Hope it can get fixed soon. Where do I go to the Escapist to make a complaint?

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Jake Martinez said:
JPArbiter said:
Same. He gives it a valliant effort but he doesn't quite nail the generic middle american broadcast accent 100%.

One thing that I find kind of amusing is that after a few years of living down here in Australia I can't fucking understand many regional American accents anymore, but I can make out what a drunken bogan is screaming at 3 o clock in the morning.

I guess you just get used to it...
having worked briefly in both voice acting and broadcast he actually performs admirably in toning down the Boston. not every broadcaster needs to sound like they are from Kansas City, just that wide swath of soil between Indianapolis and Denver.

Hannabella Doe

May 7, 2011
With the show South Park, I'm not a big fan, but I have an interesting history of the show. I was a toddler when the show was on, and with the colourfulness of the show, I wanted to see it, but my parents wouldn't let me watch it. Then later in my kid to tween years, I'd try to watch the show late at night on Comedy Network (the canadian equivalent of Comedy Central.) I often just watch bits of, so I wouldn't get caught. It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I was able to watch it, I rented the season 9 DVD, I own the movie on DVD, and I even got a kenny doll for christmas.I don't watch it as much anymore, because I don't watch a lot of TV and I can't watch it online for some reason. But I think the reason I enjoyed it was because it was something I wasn't suppose to watch, so with the taboo gone, it's not as interesting. I love this episode, and I was just explaining how much South Park means to me as the animated forbidden fruit.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I don't turn to South Park for my political/ideological views. I watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart for that.

When he turns to the camera and gives the same "are you buying this shit?" smile Dennis Miller once gave before he turned into "because I'm old enough to not care about anyone else" Republican, I feel an urge to smile back and say "no, I'm not buying that shit, either."

That's the extennt of my polticial outlook.