The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Aug 9, 2009
@Bob Chipman
The platforms that are supposed to 'replace' the pc are all more specialized than its generic father/mother. Most personal computers are made to be customizable, which makes them perfect for experimentation, so I doubt they will go away. Creating a new embedded computer for every new technology simply isn't efficient, while you can often modify a current computer to use the newest technology available, relatively easily.

While it makes a lot of sense to simply buy a game Console, if you are just going to use the device to play games, you have to put a lot of effort into making it do something it wasn't originally designed to do, and you're best of buying another specialized device for the new task.

If you know in advance, that you want to do many different things, like gaming, browsing the web, creating digital paintings or programming new software, you're still best of buying a personal computer, because it is generic enough to be very good at all those things.

You can always find a device that is better at a specific task than a pc, but that is at the expense of flexibility. To replace my pc I would need a lot more devices than I have right now. Eventually I'll buy some of them anyway, but right now, it is simply too expensive and I don't yet need the extra performance of specialized hardware.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
daviejjd said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
*sigh*

Redefine words to mean what you think.

Lovely.

I'd love to think that you just created this for page views, out of spite, because most of the reviewers have their own little hate pad against computers.

I know this isn't true though. You've just redefined all the words. Whee. That's nice. And added a disclaimer that if anyone flames, you're right as well.

I'm not going to get angry, because the writing on the wall's been there for some time. You work on PCs, you play on consoles, so because you hate work, you have to differentiate them.

Comfort over Versatility. Sad. Maybe it's all just for page views though? Part of me wishes it was just a troll attempt.

Here's the Little Picture: [HEADING=3] Consoles are becoming PCs.[/HEADING]

Yeah completely agree, does bob actually get paid for this stuff, and why on earth do i keep watching?
Don Reba said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Don Reba said:
So, is a notebook or tablet with Windows not a PC now? Is a PS3 with Linux, mouse, and keyboard really a console? Its not the shape of the device that defines PC gaming.
I think the single fact that the ps3 RUNS on an operating system pretty much makes it a PC.
A rose of any other name would headshot as accurately.
To me, the single most important thing defining PC gaming is the free distribution model. A game developer does not have to get a platform owner's blessing to release a game, and this is what gives PC gaming its soul. In addition, it really would not be the same without a mouse and a keyboard. So, the argument against big beige boxes might be valid, but it has nothing to do with either the death of free distribution or keyboards. If anything, Apple is a larger threat to PC gaming than Sony.
Please never say that again. The idea that I might eventually be forced to own a product from Apple is too terrifying a concept. Eventually, consoles and PCs are going to be essentially identical (what *IS* the difference between them at this point anyway?) and the line will only truly break when someone comes up with a new name for this machine.

Also, in regards to the actual form of the machines, I have to add; what is the difference between the black box attached to my mouse and keyboard and that other black box attached to my TV and a controller?

EDIT: Not with the first quote, I like this show.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
So... PC gaming is basically going to move from one kind of PCs to other kinds of PCs? KK

Personally I think it's safer to say that console gaming is going to die out. Since (just like Bob said) consoles are basically PCs nowadays. Within a generation or two they might finish their evolution and become fully fledged (but perhaps slightly simplified) PCs.

SoloStoffe

Apr 2, 2010
I only own a PC and an Xbox 360. Nothing else. No tablets, smartphones, laptops or iWhatevers.

I am proud of myself.

Phellix

Sep 7, 2008
Owned sega and nintendo ! Remember those good times ... hate wii and most of what it dose with the classics !

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
Without PC gaming to bring innovation your other gaming devices, as well as consoles, would be dead, I guarantee you. The reason you have digital distribution on consoles is because Steam, through blood, sweat and tears proved it could work.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/14/beyond-the-bucket-two-years-on/#more-53757

"Having a look at some of the analytics data from SavyGamer, the amount of people accessing the PC Digital Distribution section has more than tripled from 2009 to 2010, and that?s adjusted for general traffic growth. In the same time period, people accessing the PC Retail section has actually dropped by 40%, and the Digital Distribution section is now more than 6 times more popular than the Physical section. It?s not just my data that indicates this, EA are expecting to sell more PC games digitally than physically this year (although they don?t seem to want to let people know how many games they sell via the EA Store), and 1C predicting an all digital PC games market by the end of the year."

Also, PC gaming is worth 16.2 billion and is the single largest platform, as well as having the highest profit per game as there's no royalties. Pro tip: Marketing on console doesn't equal most lucrative or biggest.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/01/pc-is-strong-pc-games-revenue-up-20/

I'm glad we get less mainstream titles and more ports, it means the best PC developers, especially indie and smaller developers, get more attention.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/29/thanks-for-screwing-the-pc-over/

I will say one major problem with PC gaming is the lack of optimisation across high and low end hardware. This is the secret to Blizzard's success (as well as making great online-based games), but developers like Crytek, who made the ridiculously unoptimized Crysis have the gall to blame piracy for lower than expected sales. Hey idiots! If your game ain't optimized, how do you expect it to sell well to the lower end used with a laptop or even the lower end gaming PC?

I'm tired of people playing console thinking they can shit all over the PC when they don't play PC games simply by rephrasing articles from 5 years ago.

PC gaming is booming. Accept it. Get over it.

Grow the fuck up. If there's one stereotype that holds true for console gamers, it's simplicity and stupidity. You don't see PC gaming websites prophesizing the death of console gaming every 5 minutes, do you?

Also, some more of my thoughts:

"There are many advantages of PC gaming:

-Customization of your game experience. Not only in terms of parts for your PC, but also software as well as various gamepads, flight sticks, etc., which are popular and supported in terms of games. This allows for more genre types due to various input devices, from great RTS' to flight games.

-Better graphics and generally better experience on the technical side of things.

-Better gameplay experience with a mouse and keyboard usually.

-Mods.

-Better deals (looking at you steam).

-More variety of games. We can argue to the moon and back about this, but I would be right in the end. On the PC, not only do we get dumb action games, but also smarter, slower games like Arma 2 or Stalker, Risen (360 version doesn't count because it's just BAD).

-Ability to play all games ever released (mostly). A far cry from the little backwards compatibility of consoles.

-Emulators.

-Cheaper than console gaming in the long run. It can be more expensive or the same price, but that depends on how you like to game on PC. If you spend money on the latest hardware every year, then yes, it's going to be more expensive. If you wait for deals and get the most out of your hardware, it will be cheaper. Consoles have renting, but with PC gaming games are cheap and you get to own everything you pay for. If you want to rent, consoles are a better choice, but for the gaming enthusiast who likes to own all his games, PC is more preferrable.

-Best online support, better community (in terms of content and various forms of communication, not necessarilly in terms of maturity, although I would argue that PC gamers are generally more mature), better clan support, etc.

-Better for smaller developers.

-More money per game for developers.

-Insert other advantage here.

Disadvantage:

-Needs tinkering with and involvement. Generally you need to know a bit about computers, which I don't think PC devs handle right. What I would do is have a third party that promotes PC gaming by putting a disc/file in every physical/digital copy that covers all the steps of installing various hardware and what various hardware is. This means explaining what RAM is, what a CPU is, etc, the advantages of building your own rig, so that if one were to ever want to progress further into the more technical aspect of PC gaming and get the most out of it, they would have a great starting point. The PCGA should do this, but sadly, they're useless.

-Needs work on community aspect. Involving modders and having great online support is essential.

Market aspects:

PC games don't sell as well at launch. However, they sell better than consoles in the long run. This is just an aspect of the market. The only disadvantage is that it's not good for churning out sequel after sequel. A successful PC game (built with PC's in mind) will do better than 99% of console games because the demand is great for PC-focused games. So generally, if you make a great PC game, you can be sure that the market will usually respond well and your game will sell great and continue to sell great years after release, as the PC is mostly a very stable market with stable demand (mostly) for hardcore games, but PC users don't rush to buy on day 1, at least not the hardcore ones.

Usually you'll sell around 2-3 million in the first month if you're Blizzard for instance, and sell 10+ million over 5-10 years.

Piracy shows interest for your product. The more successful the game the more piracy (Starcraft), so it usually isn't a problem. Piracy may also indicate issues with your game or its distribution (piracy of Valve games in Russia, for instance).

These are my thoughts and observations."

/For The Love Of The Game

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
What you say may have more than a grain of truth to it, as much as I love my open-but-seperate computer sanctum, things are changing. HOWEVER PC gaming will live on as the definitive platform for God Games, RTSs and RPGs UNTIL other platforms, tablets, etc... have moddability.

Until such a time when you can make and get something like Better Cities on these will PC gaming be dead. I may not be personally able to mod (at least not well), but it is a huge draw of PC gaming and it creates an actual community for games that are entirely single player. Of course I don't mean to demean forum communities unfairly, but the mod forums are considerably less prone to trolls and have people who are somewhat more invested in the game. Not your cup of tea? No one says it has to be and even fewer people say you have to agree with me.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Void(null) said:
That was kind of the entire point.
I get the point, but some advice: The impact would actually be greater if you put it in a spoiler tag. As is, you come off as a desperate fanboy by just copy/pasting a long list. If you just put a spoiler tag with something like "Is the PC really dead?" and then you let someone click it, they'll have a head-asplode when they see how long the list is.

And sorry, but it's just kind of douchey to assume that the added inconvenience for everyone else trying to read this thread is justified by the significance of the "point" you're making.

Phellix

Sep 7, 2008
Allthow i bet we all like BOB =) ... Thumbs up for, if you think that he's picture, isnt that big this time !

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
My 2 cents:

PC gaming, like the old stage coach is dying, but is being replaced my the motor vehicle (car). So in short, it is not dying but evolving....I can see that.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I was confused until you counted laptops as separate from a PC. While I own a Motorola Droid, 360, Wii, DS, and iPad, I still need something with the power and accessibility for new programs of a PC to bolster that. I probably will for a while. I was ready to disagree, but then you brought up my laptop. Yeah, I do use a laptop as opposed to a tower connected to a monitor. And while it is Windows powered and essentially a PC, I can see the fundamental difference that you seem to be pointing out. Well played.

Also, Angry Birds in your eyes?! Cool!

Mechsrule1

Jul 9, 2008
PC will always (or at least does right now and will probably hold for a while) one advantage. The ability to upgrade hardware. With current generation technologies, the only way to upgrade the hardware (without an electrical engineering degree) is to buy the latest model. With a PC if the video card is too old, just grab a new one, but you don't have to replace the old one. Some people, myself included, just like the feel of a good solid PC. Sure thats the same argument NES gamers used against the SNES, but I don't see giving up my PC any time soon. Certainly not by choice. Plus with emulators, most console games can be played on a PC anyway. They would need virtual reality for me to change. And only for some games.

DeadEy3

Sep 1, 2010
I don't think you can make games without PCs... Until they come out with a developer Xbox, PC Gaming will be fine...

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Well looks like PC Gaming is now Laptop Gaming...and I have an M11x from Alienware (It Glows!!!)

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I've got to agree with Bob on this one, I've never had a traditional PC, always a laptop of some kind, and I've done some great gaming on it. It's not even some kind of dedicated gaming laptop, a mid-line laptop that somehow plays most games with no problems. I'm for PC-gamer pride, however, so let's just pretend Zynga games aren't doing better than everyone else.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'll will be a PC gamer as long as 4X games are only good on the PC.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
ZombieGenesis said:
Please never say that again. The idea that I might eventually be forced to own a product from Apple is too terrifying a concept. Eventually, consoles and PCs are going to be essentially identical (what *IS* the difference between them at this point anyway?) and the line will only truly break when someone comes up with a new name for this machine.

Also, in regards to the actual form of the machines, I have to add; what is the difference between the black box attached to my mouse and keyboard and that other black box attached to my TV and a controller?

EDIT: Not with the first quote, I like this show.
Here is the thing: if you look at the movie industry (which I expected Bob to do, don't even know why), it used to be as free as PC Gaming is now ? distributors, producers, and studios where all independent and interested in doing their small independent jobs well. But then, the public became increasingly thirsty for "premium content", the studios, starting with Paramount, started vertically integrating with distributors and producers, until the whole industry became divided among the five studios we have now. There are forces in gaming that want to do the same ? consoles are going in this direction, Apple's app store is, too. If they succeed in taking over all of the market, then PC gaming will die.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
The rumors of the PC's death are (yet again) exaggerated. Yes, there are now many more device form factors that let us access more (largely online) functionality, but none of them has the flexibility or performance of the PC. Right now I'm typing this on a PC with a full-size keyboard and four 24" monitors, each of which is hosting 2 or more running apps. I won't get into RAM and HDD capacity and all that, but the key thing is that no other platform even comes close to delivering the whole experience. Yes, many of the things that we used to only be able to do on a PC can now be done on other devices, but that doesn't mean that they do them nearly as conveniently, or nearly as well, or that the PC is less important.

And as many others have pointed out, laptops ARE PCs.

And for that matter, when was the last time anyone saw a home computer setup like the ones shown in the video? 1994? ;-)