The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
jonnosferatu said:
Crazy_Man_42 said:
Are you guys really sure you should attack Bob here because it's confirming what he has said in the video and reaffirms his point and makes it clear that PC gaming is dying.
Attacking him doesn't prove his point in the slightest. It demonstrates that he was right in his prediction that he'd be attacked.
Making a troll video and then predicting flame isn't the best way to be right about something.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
jonyboy13 said:
jonnosferatu said:
Crazy_Man_42 said:
Are you guys really sure you should attack Bob here because it's confirming what he has said in the video and reaffirms his point and makes it clear that PC gaming is dying.
Attacking him doesn't prove his point in the slightest. It demonstrates that he was right in his prediction that he'd be attacked.
Making a troll video and then predicting flame isn't the best way to be right about something.
I don't know that I'd call it a troll video. I question his reasoning and conclusions, and have a hard time believing that attracting attention to himself wasn't part of his goal, but I wouldn't be exceptionally surprised if he turned out to be right. Consoles are a considerably more profitable medium for games.*

*This is something I lament, given that all but a very select few of the best games I have ever played (essentially the Blizzard and Valve catalogs) were all ~PC-exclusive, and that most of the games that can comfortably be played as professional sports currently remain PC exclusive.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I usually like the Big Picture, but this one was just bad. This isn't rage, it's just sad to see Bob make himself sound this silly...

PC gaming isn't dead. If it were, I wouldn't be playing Dragon Age 2 on it right now, would I? Games are coming out on it. Not all of them, but no platform gets all of them. However, the underlying statement that opened the whole video is just untrue.

I also "like" how he dismisses the entire MMO market as "web based diversions" and lumps them with "whatever Zynga is doing now". Really? The single biggest market in gaming today and it gets written off like it's nothing?

Next, he states that "god games" and "flight sims" are only genres where PC has dominance. Thank you for forgetting pretty much the entire Strategy genre, be it turn based or real time. "God games" come in there, but only as a subsection of a broader genre. Also, does a platform need dominance in a bunch of genres to be considered "non-dead"? Even if there wasn't a single genre where PC "dominated", it still wouldn't mean it was a dead platform. It would just mean all genres are coming out on all the platforms.

The part about the PC becoming an "anachronism" is just lacking in sense. The same logic could be applied to gaming consoles as well. Also, if you could install Explorer and Office on your console, you'd have a PC, not a console.

The fact that the various branches of tech devices are gradually melding together is the one part of the video that has any merit to it, but again, that applies to game consoles as well, not just to the PC.

In short, the few good points in this Big Picture are not related to the PC specifically, but to technology in general and PC gaming isn't dead. Bob, you missed the mark.

P.S. Laptops are PCs as well, Bob. You don't seem to realize this if this video is anything to go by...

Solarfox6

Aug 24, 2010
Neither me, or any of the hundreds of people playing games on Steam would ever play those games on a wimpy little phone, tablet, console, ect.
why?
THEY'RE BETTER ON THE PC.
PC gaming is not dying, it might just be hitting a slow period, as nearly everything does sometimes. It also could just be evolving, changing it's look. ( I.e: Desktop to Laptop ) And thus appears to have it's content shifted to other devices, but the fact remains; if you have a tablet, hooked up to a key-bored and mouse, you just made a PC. PC gaming will never die, just evolve.
But then this also begs the question others are asking.... Why in the hell would you want to by extra things to just do what a desktop computer does(or even a powerful laptop does )?? That plan seems flawed and stupid.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
just to fix something:
it was said that pc and laptop is not same ( 03:47 ). It is same, I play on laptop. And day when pc gaming dies, is day when I stop playing games. And pc only for "god sim" and "simulation"? What about RTS?

Oh and my addition to flamewar : you fail at saying pc != laptop , but due to kids racing who can get from their parents better console , their popularity grows. What means pc games is dying. Sad but true.

And still consoles are complete nonsense - that game only for PS3 that only for XBox... there where days when there was PC, and all games were on it.

Oh and one more thing - why in video it is said that kids who did not get console got some APPLE "pc"? I think APPLE was more expensive even back then. AND THERE WAS/IS NO GAMES ON IT.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I have never been a PC gamer mostly because I have never owned a decent PC. In fact, I have never actually bought a new computer in my life; every computer I have ever owned, including this old laptop I am writing on, is a hand-me-down. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I envision the future much as you do, mobile devices linked to some sort of hub. I am already pretty good at drawing analogies for the younger set about older tech, I'll survive.

Devo energy dome for the win.

Kal'Shen Ra

Apr 13, 2009
Even in this day and age, the only devices I have are my PC, for work, gaming, browsing, online TV and radio, and a mobile phone, for radio, mp3 player and (well) phone. I may invest in a laptop, after I upgrade my current PC. Or maybe a tablet, if someone(that is not Apple) manages to make one thats worthwhile. Other than that I don't feel the need for a myriad of devices, portable or otherwise, that offer the same functions as the devices I already have.

Maybe my lifestyle doesn't warrant the need for these devices. Maybe I like the freedom of being unreachable when I want to. Or the freedom to do something that's not part of a routine when I don't have access to one of my devices. I don't know. Maybe I just don't have money to through away on gadgets that are, in my opinion, limited in functionality even if they are more mobile.

Nupraptor

Jan 14, 2010
So it's better that instead of 1 thing to do everything we have 50 things that cost 50x as much to do the same shit?

And just cause FPS are showing up more on consoles doesn't mean they're better... the PC is now, and, until cyber-eyeball implants come in, forever shall be the king of FPS games... you can point at Kinect/etc all you want... they're still a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way from being good enough in my book.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Crazy_Man_42 said:
I mean come on people the fps shooters have left you and all you really have in the way of major games are starcraft and WoW, and one is just a major cash cow that will die once the new Blizzard mmo comes out and kills it and becomes the new cash cow. Starcraft has been the only major game release in what.... years for PC's because I haven't seen much for any other game that isn't a mmo for the PC. Blizzard is becoming the last and only developer that's making games only for the PC lately.
PC gaming grew by 20 with a record 16.2$ billion in 2010[footnote]http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/03/01/pc-gaming-alliance-big-pc-gaming-growth-2010[/footnote], so its not dying in a financial sense.

Digital distribution, free to play and online are providing developers with new business models, so its not dying in a innovative sense.

Console are becoming more like the PC, both technical-wise and feature-wise.

smartphones and tablets still do not match the PC in terms of capability (technically and creatively) and require to be stationary (plugged to a charger) to do anything more than small-scale flash games and web browsing. Gaming Laptops are still there, so the PC is in no problem mobility wise.

So in what sense is PC gaming dying? is it "dying" because consoles are evolving into PC's?

This notion that PC gaming is in its last throes has been around for ages, i know it has at least been going on since the PS2, yet the PC continues to put out great games time and time again, surpassing consoles in many regards.

Crazy_Man_42 said:
You see, when you make an inflammatory statement, only to have it throughly debunked, its not reaffirming your points. Such ignorance only further invalidates your opinions/points.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Roxor said:
Sheesh, Bob, couldn't you have come up with a decent title? "X is dead, long live X" is one of the most nonsensical phrases I've seen thrown around. Saying "long live X" only makes sense if X is currently alive. If X is dead, then you have a contradiction on your hands. Contradictions are a pain for the brain. Incidentally, they're also the reason why every attempt by religious people to convert me has failed miserably.
Umm, that quote has strong historical connotations and fits perfectly with Movie Bobs argument. It's a line said at official funerals for Kings. "The King is dead, long live the king," is the official moment of passing the torch. It means the (old) king has died, but there must be a ruler, so as soon as you acknowledge that, the heir apparent is now the king, so long live the (new) king. Just like Bob's argument that traditional style PC gaming is dead, but the new replacement will be interesting.

It's a common and rather famous phrase with centuries of tradition behind it. You're the one being contradictory, trying to poke semantic holes in something completely unrelated to the argument.

OT: I think Bob completely missed something here. The PC may not be the common model for the home computer anymore, but it still is one other thing, a gaming platform. It will survive as a very expensive, rather complicated consol with a unique control system because so many gamers are attached to it. Look at video cards. People spend $1000 on high end cards. That can only be used for gaming. PC gamers, especially the type with the high end systems, aren't buying a family computer. They're buying a very expensive consol. And that market is far from dead.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Wow Bob, can't disagree more. Let's see here:
1) Motion controls are a useless argument. Kinect is already being developed for the PC. And unlike consoles, PC will have the option of developing extra harware (not to mention the wide, WIDE array of custom software) to work better with that little piece of motion goodness :)

2) FPS on a console over a PC is just too silly to make a serious argument about. Yes, you can stick a mouse into it, but that doesn't change the fact the developer is going to design a game for a console with a controller in mind (just like a developer isn't going to design a game for a PC with a 6-button mouse in mind). Which will still lead to there being auto-aim and all the other stuff that generally goes with a console FPS.

3) Intel's push into simplifying hardware (seen them new i7's with a graphic processor?) will take console's edge of "you need to buy and think about less shit". While I'm massively sure it will initially fail, another company that happens to have a graphics processor company under it's wing now, is likely to come up with something pretty fucking awesome if they try the same concept. The existence of SLI and crossfire already make things easier though.

4) PC gaming has always pushed the boundaries of gaming. Consoles come with a limit, PC doesn't. Where a console says "this is good enough", a PC says "we can do better, just go buy better stuff". A death of PC gaming would mean being stuck in a world of sameyness and I'm pretty sure that's not something the developers would be happy about.

And no, reaching the peak of graphic possibilities (which you might be right on) does not erase this concern. There's a LOT of headway to be made to make games more immersive, the AI probably being the biggest target. And programming mobs so they can appear completely realistic takes some serious processing power.

In fact, if the industry DOES focus on AI the way it focuses on graphics now (something Bethesda has been saying should be done since Oblivion and we might be nearing that point slowly)... boy oh boy. Well you might just be targeting the wrong platform with the "it's dead" speech. Lowering the graphics so they can run on a console is a piece of cake. Lowering the AI - yeah, good luck with that :D

5) Are you actually saying computers aren't there in people's homes? Cause if you are, say hi to Glornak, I haven't seen him since my last visit to Mars. I don't remember the last time I walked into a house that didn't have a PC. In fact, most people nowadays have some 2-3 PCs and several laptops to boot.

6) Point and click died ages ago. While it's a dear memory (a dear, dear, DEAR memory, I've recently gotten my hands on the Siberya games), it's not honestly something you can showcase and say "this is here, therefore here is now/future". Actually, you remember WHEN point and click games were being made? About the same time 2D titles with 3D stamps were being made. You know, that thing you can run on a graphic calculator right now. The fact point and click games are appearing on a console just shows the lack of power of said console. And are we even surprised considering we're talking about the wii?

Plenty more arguments, but my post is getting long enough as it is. Suffice to say, not really impressed by this week's show as making such a sweeping statement and backing it up so weakly is really... meh.

Do note - gaming IS spreading. It's spreading everywhere. Consoles, motion control, phones, browser, everywhere. But gaming spreading doesn't mean gaming in one place is dying. At best, it might be losing population somewhat as more possibilities open (and even that's a questionable fact), but that's a far cry from saying it's dying.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
"Oisin O'Driscoll: I haven't owned a PC in years, I get by perfectly fine on a laptop"

Umm... a "lap top" is a PC, even one of those little "net books" is PC's. Not sure if I'd go as fare as to say that an ipad was one though, I'm not terribly well versed as to what's under the hood of one of those, but who do you know who wrights documents on an ipad?! I'd find it hard to believe it would be a lot of people.

Also, I'm not sure why you would think having a bunch of devices that all only do a few things is better than having 1 device that dose them all. Specially in the case of laptops as stated above. Laptops are, typically significantly more powerful than any other current mobile device. That's kind of what they are for, having the utility of a tower but on the go.

I had consoles from 8-bit to current but I have also had a PC since the mid 16-bit era so I've been playing them in tandem for a LONG time. From this video, and the First Person Shooter video, it seems that you don't know what your talking about when it comes to PC games. You have even stated yourself that you are a dedicated console gamer. It also seems that you've made no effort to actually find out about PC gaming. I mean you could only name 1 First Person game that wasn't a "shooter". Hell there were even a few non-shooter FP games on the N64, like the remake of Shadow Gate or Poketmon Snap. Come on man, do a little research.

You know, someone once asked me how I can work all day on a PC and then switch programs and play all night. I answered by simply saying that writing code and doing reports are waaay different from playing games. She didn't seem to understand. Maybe you don't get it ether, maybe it's because you are so used to working on one machine and playing on another. but I don't have a problem with it.

You know, now that I think about it I think the reason I gravitated more toward the PC back in the day was because it had it's own screen! Yea, the PC screen was only used for the PC, where as the Television was used for watching TV, watching rented movies and playing console games. Members of my family were always vying for control of the TV but unless someone wonted to write up a report or something, I had the PC all to myself. That's not to say that the PC didn't get used for doing homework, but most of the time it was used for gaming.

But then again, I never understood the hole ?hardware war? thing, I don't really care what system a game is on, I just wont to play good games.

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
The bottom line for me with PC gaming is this.

I can buy a Video Card, just the Video Card and nothing else. For more than PS3,Wii or 360.

Entire gaming system with money left over? or A pretty video card, with nothing to plug it into?

For me it got to the point where you spend $1000+ on your hot shit gaming rig, 3 years down the road its completely obsolete. And to give you even less incentive to get another PC, all the manufacturers decided to change their builds. So now my perfectly good mother board with a good CPU, can't support a new video card. So instead of replacing just your card, your starting all over again.

Maybe things have slowed down a bit, but I got a whole basement filled with $1000 to $2000 paperweights in my basement.

And retro console gaming is a whole different kettle, than retro PC gaming.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
Personally I think that PC gaming has not died or even dying; it just has a limited audience than it used to.

Lets face it, in the old days consoles were a good few steps behind PCs in graphics and processing power and was the goto for most developers. Even the interface on PCs were much more flexible because the keyboard would allow players much wider choice of interface options than a 2 /4 button controller ever could.

I would also imgine that back in the day development of PC games was also much easier because consoles would probably be a using a bespoke & cut down operating system while PCs were using the easier windows operating system and more traditional programming languages.

As the years have gone by devices & consoles have simply implemented more and more useful elements of the PC environment such as standardised programming languages and vastly cut down operating systems. You look at new phone operating systems (android etc) and they resemble a standard PC operating system than a 'machine level' operating system which would only provide very simple facilities.

PC functionality has migrated onto different devices and facilities due to nessesity and flexibility, but it doesn't mean that they REPLACE the PC. Writing emails on a mobile doesn't give you all the functionality that a PC could, just the bear bones; and while I will browse websites on my Dell streak phone I wouldn't imagine trying to write a corperate document using it as it would be grossly inefficient (but viewing them is fine).

The only reason people say that PC gaming is dying is because consoles are simply easier. Buying a PC game in the old days and making sure you had the right drivers and your hardware specs matched etc was a real ballache as it was a gamble buying a game to know if it worked or not, and even though newer games and hardware are much more flexible its cannot compare to the 'plug and play' that the console provides.

PC games also bypass alot of the BS that MS & Sony need to push through with quality control or adding extra cost to games (ie, a PC game generally costs about £10 LESS than the console version) and MMO games require the cheaper cost in order to gain from the monthly subscription.

So in summary PC gaming isn't dead; it just isn't as popular as it was. I can see PCs being the forerunner of MMO games for a good few more years simply because it would be a real cluster fuck to 'talk' on multiple channels and its so much easier to be able to read a chat channel which a console can't provide as easiliy (ie, without a keyboard).

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
jonyboy13 said:
jonnosferatu said:
Crazy_Man_42 said:
I agree, ever since Clif Blezinski, did his stupid twiter "in other news PC gamers are pissed off", it's been you know what time... time to troll the shit out of PC gamers... so lets all sing along!

It's the season to be trolling
trololololololololololololo

Jun 11, 2008
JohnnyChimpo said:
Some major points not observed by Bob:
1- Even thought we got several new toys like iphones, ipads, netbooks, laptops, etc, we keep accumulating formats, not throwing out out old ones, even desktop computers will always have a use for some users. Mouse + keyborad set ups will also be relevant for games in the future
2- PC game is wildly popular, but the major hits, like WoW or Starcraft exist only because they are more impervious to the big white elephant in the room, PIRACY. Console gamers are in general less technologically savvy, or less inclined to pirate their games, pc gamers however, might as well just wear an eyepatch everyday, trust me, I am one,... I love steam, but still...
Actually Console gamers do pirate a lot they just pay someone to do it for them. Everyone I know who has ever pirated on console pays for their console to be chipped then buys games off that person. So that one download is more like 10 downloads for that one person. Since it is piracy you can't say that on a broad scale but that is how most console gamers I know who pirate pirate.

Also to be honest all those things are still PCs. Even says it in the video which kinda makes his point pointless. PC are all purpose machines that come in different sizes. A netbook, laptop, Blueberry and Xbox are all highly specialised and scaled down PCs. There will always be a demand for true PC gaming anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. As people buy PC for the personalisation and customisation and sheer versatility of the PC. In fact all Bob here is condoning is instead of buying maybe one or two things taht do everything but 5 or 6 different things that are specialise/watered down versions of the big thing. Also people think console gaming is dead as well. Great to have a narrow view of a PC that it is only a desktop computer and nothing else.

xnamkcor

Nov 6, 2010
Wow, thanks for telling me I don't need my PC. All this time I was using it for about everything, but now that I know it's useless I can stop using it. I used to think it did what I wanted and I had already purchased it, but it seems that I must shell out some money now to buy a tablet and a laptop to do the things I thought my PC did. The most upsetting part is that my PC was a media server for my Wii. I guess I'll have to buy another Wii or a PS3 and use that as a media server. Or, I hear, they make dedicated media server boxes. It'll cost extra money, but my PC is useless now, so I will have to get one. And I'll have to get used to using my Portable Audio Device to play music, since there's no use for my PC. Now that I think about it, I'll have to get a PS3, since I'm pretty sure the Wii and most mobile devices can't play this site's embedded videos.

I'll miss my PC. I'm just glad someone told me it was useless before I went and spent money buying a new one.