The Big Picture: Pink Is Not The Problem

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Rabidkitten said:
As much as I'd like to say Bob is right, he is kind of wrong about a few things. Gender tropes do sometimes actually exist. I'm a father of 2 sons, and across the street are 2 little girls. They all play together, but what I notice is that the boys have an increased interest in violence, especially competitive violence. The girls are more developed mentally which is to be expected as girls development faster mentally. As thus they tend to get tired of the endless wave of swords, guns, and the sheer obsession with violent character types (ninjas, soldiers, zombies, alien invaders, etc).

We have thousands of years of history of men rushing off to die meaningless deaths in supposedly "glorious" battle. Sure the female hero's pop up now and then but you don't see the ridiculous war hawking coming from females across history. Its proven fact that testosterone influences violent behavior, and assuming that the reason the "gun" aisle is for boys is purely based on societal gender constructions is a crock of shit. Genetics influence our development more then experience There is no way in hell that EVERY single little boy I know is out playing war because of cultural constructs. Its not true.
That is where a lot of the debate about nature vs nurture comes into play, but I think I'd like to point to NinjaDeathSlap's post. Sometimes things just line up to traditional roles on their own.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Or we could all just buy our toys from manufacturers who have never associated gender roles with their toys? You know, companies that have always deserved our business?
shephardjhon said:
So we associate feminine with bad yet can't have female villains. Even the ones mentioned are retroactively turned into good guys.
What about
Ugh, I chills just from looking at her.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
orangeapples said:
Wait, there is a Nintendo promotional commercial which has Mario looking up Peach's dress?
...Wow, I just noticed that. Though I'm pretty sure her dress is the type with a million frills and layers under there, so he's probably not seeing much.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
orangeapples said:
The pink aisle won't go away, if for no other reason that stores separate stuff by type and genres, but for roles to truly break down, we need people to quit propping them up with their complaints about them, or overly championing their dismissal. Only then will these old norms have been truly broken.
Honestly, I wish it would go away just because it's something of an eyesore. The blue, green, yellow, etc isles are fine because it's a "cool" color and there's usually enough variety in the products themselves to keep things from betting obnoxious. Why anyone thought an isle of nothing but a single vivid "warm" color was a good idea escapes me. I've been in pink painted rooms before, and it's just unpleasant.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
RapeisGenocide said:
'Gender is a social construct'.

Opinion discarded.
Not sure what's got your goat about that statement. Gender is defined as "the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)" so he's not referring to sexual characteristics, just how people with each are molded by society. The idea that males should like, do and be certain things while females should to others is looking pretty outdated nowadays.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
That was a well laid out argument there, Bob. You can easily tie that into your whole, "Like what you like," episode from a few months ago. I guess you can make the point that societal things push that masculinity is good, femininity is bad and I can understand that in a practical sense. When you have to survive, its best to be strong and able rather than whatever the feminine traits are.
I don't think it really matters to whom an object is directed towards. Anyone is free to buy them. Also, everyone is free to believe what they want. It's when someone forces their ideals onto another person an issue is created. I think all the guys who obsess over My Little Pony are weird, not because I think its a "girly thing" but because I don't really care for My Little Pony, nor do I care about most of the people because I think they're annoying. I, for example, bought the entire Powergirl series and am still reading the New 52 one and the Supergirl series. Are those marketed towards girls? I don't know, but I don't care because I like them. I have no idea where I'm going with this, but I like that you find a nice, sensible path to an issue instead of an incredibly liberal or progressive standpoint.

RiffRaff

May 5, 2009
I think Bob had some good things to say: Don't vilify the pink isle because then you may affect anyone who actually enjoys that isle.

But man he missed the boat on the Masculine=Good and Feminine=Bad. Sure I see that it can exist, but the Hunger Games example was completely off-base.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
RapeisGenocide said:
It's natural order.
"Natural order" has been largely meaningless to human beings since we started making/wearing clothes, making/using tools, turning minerals into metals, mastering fire to turn night into day, etc. We ripped lightning from the hands of The Gods and stuck it in wires and bulbs so we didn't have to sleep and live by the dictates of seasons and celestial orbit. We're communicating at the speed of thought right now, using a fusion of a thousand technologies and "unnatural" advancements. We'll be rewriting our own DNA at will within most of our lifetimes. Where is "natural order" then, other than where it belongs - bent to will of those with the vision and temerity to do the bending?

Troispoint

Dec 4, 2013
The problem with this new age gender equality thing is that it's attacking gender distinctions. As if differences between men and women are inherently harmful, as stereotypically they may be represented. Trying to eliminate cultural (and sometimes natural) differences between male and female isn't liberation. Social distinctions is not oppression. The same way you can't be an individual if you're on your own in the wild. Because distinctions between genders aren't always arbitrary. There's no freedom in a tabula rasa. The reality is much more complicated than what feminist gender theory would let you know. You can add new social categories such as the legitimacy of the homosexual couple, that's progress, but eliminating social representations is both lazy and counterproductive.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
RapeisGenocide said:
Men and women are two very distinct beings, with equally distinct body mechanism and behavioral and emotional makeups. Denying this is denying the very science that the LGBT agenda has been pushing for decades to legitimize (unsuccessfully, I might add) their social degeneracy so that we can all embrace 'diversity'. I won't go into extreme detail as this isn't the appropriate place, but with that in mind, all you need to know for now is that there's a reason beyond marketing schemes that men and women are 'assigned' roles.

It's natural order.

Ironically or not, reality is always against any LGBT argument. Religion is obvious, but look at nature. In every species there is a dominant counterpart to a more submissive one. And this applies directly to human beings. What the LGBT front has succeeding in doing for decades is turn this natural order on its head and make it a 'morally wrong' topic. Women are the more submissive counter part to men. This is a fact. This is not a bad thing. One protects the other, and the other procreates to keep the cycle of life going. Both are inherently invaluable to each other and their species.

So you can see why assigning gender roles to social construct is unscientific and just plain ignorant.
Holy... If this was fact, as you are claiming, there would be no dominant females, and there would be no submissive males.
Since, in reality, dominant females and submissive males exist, your argument is null and also void.

Your kind of backwards view of humanity is precisely why feminism and the LGBT movement are so crucial to the world.

MovieBob said:
RapeisGenocide said:
It's natural order.
"Natural order" has been largely meaningless to human beings since we started making/wearing clothes, making/using tools, turning minerals into metals, mastering fire to turn night into day, etc. We ripped lightning from the hands of The Gods and stuck it in wires and bulbs so we didn't have to sleep and live by the dictates of seasons and celestial orbit. We're communicating at the speed of thought right now, using a fusion of a thousand technologies and "unnatural" advancements. We'll be rewriting our own DNA at will within most of our lifetimes. Where is "natural order" then, other than where it belongs - bent to will of those with the vision and temerity to do the bending?
Yes! Bob! This is what you should do an episode about. This post was fantastic. Copied and redistributed for posterity.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Rabidkitten said:
As much as I'd like to say Bob is right, he is kind of wrong about a few things. Gender tropes do sometimes actually exist. I'm a father of 2 sons, and across the street are 2 little girls. They all play together, but what I notice is that the boys have an increased interest in violence, especially competitive violence. The girls are more developed mentally which is to be expected as girls development faster mentally. As thus they tend to get tired of the endless wave of swords, guns, and the sheer obsession with violent character types (ninjas, soldiers, zombies, alien invaders, etc). ... There is no way in hell that EVERY single little boy I know is out playing war because of cultural constructs. Its not true.
I am the father to two daughters. Both of whom love swords. The eldest has slept with a foam sword since she was two years old to "fight off any monsters that attack me in my dreams" and have insisted on us buying a wide range of foam weaponry. At Thanksgiving this year, completely on their own, they both ran off to their rooms, brought out the foam armory and insisted on a mass melee. They have a huge dress-up box of pirate clothes, mermaid tails, armor, and ball gowns, all of which they wear. However, when they have male friends over, I have several times heard boys ask if it was "okay" for them to play with the more "girly" toys. The My Little Pony train seems to particularly throw them... it's a train, but it's also pink and purple. They clearly don't have a genetic disposition to worry about playing with pink toys, yet the boys are almost always both amazed that she has swords and unsure if they are "allowed" to play with some of her toys.

My mother has run a day-care for 30+ years and will invariably have boys who love playing dress up with the costume box. Years of being wrong when she guesses, "He's probably going to be gay" haven't stopped her from continuing to do so.

I don't know that it's possible to determine what is a genetic predisposition and what is a cultural predisposition. Certainly not for the small sample size of our immediate children.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Pink as a feminine denoting color is a concept less than a hundred years old. And the concept that "feminine role = bad" by feminists is a concept just over fifty years old. Cultural ideas ebb and flow based more on fashion than out of any gender significance. High heels started as a male fashion. Mascara and perfumes have been used by both genders at various times in history. The Egyptians and Assyrians spring to mind. In fact the ancient Assyrian warriors rode into battle perfumed, rouged and powdered with immaculately oiled and curled hair and beards, and you were considered not to be manly if you didn't keep up your appearance.

So yeah anyway these silly denotations we use today are not the problem. The actual problem is the narrow minded groups of today that want to judge the entire gender issue based on a period of just a few decades rather than taking into account the entirety of human history.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Nicolaus99 said:
@ Bob Pretty unfair to point at Hunger Games' villains but gloss over the main villain himself, Donald Sutherland as President Snow. Doubt anyone would accuse that lead villain of being feminine. Though he DOES keep a rose garden, I believe that carries entirely different literary allusions. It's like harping on Star Wars' villains and never mentioning Darth Vader.
I can only speak for the first movie cause I haven't seen the second or read any of the books, but in the first one Sutherland's character is hardly the main villain. He's in the movie for all of 3 minutes, so just because he is in charge of the organization doesn't make him the lead villian. That is like saying that The Emperor is the main antagonist of Star Wars.

Hover Hand Mode

Sep 14, 2013
I like the video, but I disagree with the core premise. While I do agree that perception of gender roles results in "pink aisles" and many of the things you might see in an Anita Sarkeesian video, it's not a linear cause-and-effect relationship. It's more of a loop. "Pink aisles" and the use of frilly, flowery, pink crap to sell products to girls and women reenforces the gender roles and stereotypes that led to it in the first place. I don't believe that criticism is misplaced when we focus on the products and media that lead us to believe certain things about women and what they like.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
It's a good argument on a valid topic for sure but my word have you missed the point in The Hunger Games. The external appearance of the elite communities (i.e. district 1 and 2) and their obsession with wearing makeup and over preening themselves is not a representation of feminine qualities, it is a way they show off their wealth. Just like in reality those with the most money can afford the best in fashion and what better way to show off than to wear something as over the top as this:

It's a symbol of their obsession with material possessions and external appearances over true depth or substance. If you think those are exclusively feminine traits then you are likely part of the problem.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Makabriel said:
sweetylnumb said:
Makabriel said:
I have no problem with girls playing with boy toys and vice-versa. But there is nothing wrong with "coding" a female or male marketed toy to a certain set of colors. It's years of cultural evolution that really is harming no one.

No, you mean it's not harming YOU. Many children are being "harmed" by the idea that they cant play with dolls becuase dolls are for girls, or vice versa. Many transgendered or homosexual/bisexual people are being harmed by the binary male/female separation.
I, for example, am "harmed" by disapproval from the rents when i wear large hoodies, becuase they arn't what females wear, apparently.

Try some empathy. I know its hard being a (probably white/straight) male. Hard to emphasize, that is.
You have the White Straight Male correct.
However, I am married to a Bi-woman who is active in the LBTG community, and I have hair longer than most of my female co-workers (and have had it this long for most of my life). I'm far from your typical straight/white male.

Society does not tell people they can or cannot play with dolls. Making things a certain color does not force anyone not to buy them. Acceptance comes from within, not without. If someone is comfortable in the way they are and what they choose to do, they will be happy.
Obviously you don't understand psychology and marketing. The industry is saturated with images and design choices which link female things to female and vice versa. No'one SAYS you cant play with girls toys, but both the adults around you and the store and toys themselves plant that idea in your mind. Ignoring and denying it doesn't make it go away.

And saying people should just harden up and accept themselves doesn't work. Especially with children who are very malleable.

Also, ok, you have long hair and a bisexual partner. Very original. Not saying its bad to be normel/plain/whatever, just suggesting that you might not get the best view of everything.