The Big Picture: Polarity Contest

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
Pyrian said:
marioandsonic said:
Who's next, Jim Sterling?
Don't get your hopes up. Sterling enjoys his independence.
For the Jimquisition yes. Would still be awesome to see him back with something, even if it's not for his tentpole (innuendo intended).

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Welcome back!! I didn't know how much I missed this show untill that slow jazz started playing.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
marioandsonic said:
Who's next, Jim Sterling?
It was offered to him, but he declined. There's a number of possible reasons, but I think the risk of blowback from The Jimquisition affecting the site is a big one.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
WB Bob, and yea I agree. The whole idea was likely brought about by Disney to add some gold to the stacks of money the Marvel films are making. It took 3 films for LOTR to get recognition, not so much for ROTK as a singular film but as a full body of work. That came about as a 10-award streak that Peter Jackson simply was unable to carry on his own near the end. And this was a film series based on a novel, not comic books which, regardless of actual content, will always be viewed as children's fare and therefore unworthy of recognition. Even with the oodles of money and the fanfare, we are 20 films in now, these films don't quite have the dramatic hits, the historical gravitas, the Italian-sounding orchestral numbers that the more oscar-baitey films seem to carry.

A small part of me hopes that the academy goes through with the award AND gives it to Black Panther if only to ensure that the resulting backlash would guarantee it never happens again. It will be forever viewed as the most racist thing the academy has ever done.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've been watching your stuff on Youtube but it's good to have you back here Bob. Looking forward to all the things to come.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Even caring more about movies than the average person, I can't claim I ever enjoyed the Oscars much. Watching rich people congratulate each other is something I have extremely little tolerance for. Making a new category for popular movies isn't gonna do anything to change that. The idea itself, though... I don't know, popularity is something mostly determined by success and if that's what they're gonna go for, they might just give it to the highest grossing movie of the year. The thing about the Oscar is that it's given to movies for their alleged quality as decided by a jury of alleged experts. Giving popular movies their own category raises the question what determines if a movie is popular or not and by which standards to judge its qualities. Don't get me wrong, I want to see a Michael Bay movie win a Best Picture award as much as the next guy (Actually, no, I 'm pretty sure I want to see a Michael Bay movie win a Best Picture Award much more than the next guy) but to make a seperate category so that the Academy can acknowledge those superhero movies that kids love... well, seems like a marketing gimmick to me.

At that point, why not just swallow your pride and make a category for Best Action Movie? It would, effectively, amount to the same thing and come off as much less condescending than the implicit "We don't actually care for these movies but the peasants seem to enjoy them" that the term "Best Popular Movie" has.

Oh, and... good to have you back.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Over 10k views on the video so far, nice!

It's really great to have content back on the site again. It's starting to feel a bit like old times.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
MOVIEBOB!

Holy shit, what's going on? Someone explain this to me. I'm old!

Also I want to watch Wings now.

EDIT: and Bananaman again.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I disagree about that last point. This comeback wasn't weird; it was as if absolutely nothing had happened in the years between last episode and this one.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
yeah ! new content !! WB Bob, we missed you.

now, we need a comic are weird, and a schlocktober for the upcomming october month.

also, i check the last few big picture video that you did and on of the last was a rating of all the marvel movie so far. a lot of water have flow under the bridge, you might update this topic now...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
cathou said:
yeah ! new content !! WB Bob, we missed you.

now, we need a comic are weird, and a schlocktober for the upcomming october month.

also, i check the last few big picture video that you did and on of the last was a rating of all the marvel movie so far. a lot of water have flow under the bridge, you might update this topic now...
yes, more Schlocktober! I never miss it!

XtremeMuffin

Dec 16, 2009
Welcome back, Bob! This was a great way to start the day. Can anybody answer a question for me. I'm fairly new to paying attention to the Oscars, but I'm wondering do movies ever go into more than one category? Bob mentioned Logan, but that was in the category of best adaptation, right? So for Black Panther, where would that even go? Best picture, adaptation, or popular? With people worrying about the popular category demeaning some films, how do they feel about the best adaptation category? Isn't that somewhat similar? "Your movie is a good version of something else, but not enough to stand on its own." What if a popular adaptation is a feat in film-making? This is where I'm confused about where Black Panther would even go. I feel like awards aren't supposed to be this complicated. Awards! Are! Weird!