The Big Picture: Polarity Contest

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
MrGalactus said:
ESCAPIST IS BACK WID WUNNADA BEST SHOWS ON DA INNANET BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I've been popping on here waiting for the "it's finally happened" farewell message for a bit now, thought it was coming when there was no ZP with no explanation 2 weeks ago, then BOOM THE MOVIE MAN'S BACK.

Who's next in the Escapist rebirth?

Moviebob: Reloaded.

If Susan comes back and we start seeing podcasts again, it'll be like the 00's never left and all will be right with the world. I miss the podcasts. I miss commenting on cosplay without the overwhelming fear of offending someone. I missed these forums. People need a good forum list to fall back on. Comment sections under news articles simply don't work the same as a good forum with good moderation.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Welcome back, Bob. Watching the opening and hearing the music hooked me all over again. I've missed your work. Looking forward to more.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
saxist01 said:
So, what they need to do is divide the best picture into multiple genre awards, and then all the winners are voted on for best overall picture during the show. BOOM! Fixed the Oscars.

Welcome back, Bob!
My sentiments exactly. After all, drama is a genre all its own. Saying only drama can be best picture is no longer a thing and possibly might not be for a while.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
It's so great to have bob back on the Escapist. I can't wait to see what else comes back and what new things are done.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm glad to see someone bring up the first Oscars, and split between "Outstanding" and "Unique and Artistic" awards. I see so few people mentioning this when discussing the proposed "Popular Film" award.

And while I'd expect nothing less, I'm also glad that MovieBob doesn't use this as an excuse not to look at the problems with the proposed "Popular Film" award.

Now to get Aaron Williams back on the site!

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Ratings ultimately determine how much the Academy gets paid for the Oscars, and they're chasing them.

Disney/ABC pay a lot of money for the Oscars (though it's going down as ratings fall) but the advertising revenue ABC get for the Oscars is falling faster.

The Oscars either need to boost ratings or the Academy will have to settle for airing on Freeform.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
saxist01 said:
So, what they need to do is divide the best picture into multiple genre awards, and then all the winners are voted on for best overall picture during the show. BOOM! Fixed the Oscars.

Welcome back, Bob!
Perfect solution. It would definitely give a "live" appeal to the Oscars.

Good to see more content on the site, although I do not always agree with Bob I have always found what he produces at least entertaining.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Wow. Not only did Bob come back to Yahtzee's Youtube channel (sorry, I mean The Escapist), but this thread is generally free of the morons who led to him (and pretty much everyone else: content makers and consumers) abandoning the place.

Did they mature? Do they now only live on /r/The_Donald? Will they be back to defend the fatherland in a few weeks when they realize Bob is back?

Meh, who cares?

Make the Escapist Great Again, but this time, don't feed the trolls.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
3 years later, and it still feels like the same good old Big Picture. Good job and welcome back!

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
Belaam said:
Wow. Not only did Bob come back to Yahtzee's Youtube channel (sorry, I mean The Escapist), but this thread is generally free of the morons who led to him (and pretty much everyone else: content makers and consumers) abandoning the place.
Bob didn't abandon The Escapist. He said they were planning to cut him as part of general restructuring. Then they abruptly fired him without warning.

I wonder if he's working on this voluntarily.

TDA WP

Sep 24, 2014
MovieBob said:
Polarity Contest

The Oscars want to give blockbuster hits a new award for Achievement in Popular Film. But does it make the problem it's meant to solve even worse?

Watch Video
I have to say, I feel the quip about racism at the end isn't warranted until we actually see the nominations. The Best Picture category was expanded specifically so more films could be included and it wouldn't be surprising if they took advantage of that to have Black Panther in there as one of the nominees. Everyone and their mother is probably going to expect Black Panther to win this new category and being the only one in that category nominated for Best Picture would make it clear this was a coronation as happened a few times at the beginning of the expanded category when the inevitable winner of Best Animated Film ended up in the Best Picture nominations.

Black Panther isn't going to win the top award, no doubt, but the notion that it won't so much as be nominated seems to be jumping the gun. Even then, though I don't track all the films out there, there is no reason to believe a film prominently featuring black stars will not win Best Picture just because it probably isn't going to be the superhero one. Am aware of at least some films featuring heavily black casts or with black stars in lead roles that have been particularly well-received with some Oscar buzz. None of that is a prediction and I am not an expert on this, but it wouldn't be shocking. Feel the video could have been stronger if it included these points instead of going for the well-worn racism argument put out by countless other major outlets.