The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I haven't even heard Jack Thompson's name in years, outside of the occasional punchline.
I couldn't even imagine he was relevant enough to warrant this video.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Slayer4472 said:
If you believe that the death threats against Thompson were in any way different than the ones being sent to Sarkeesian, then you need to get your pants off your head. Threatening to murder someone is NOT acceptable under ANY circumstances.
What's disquieting is that some people do believe that. Hell, Bob believes that:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/527993572734537728

He's more evasive about it in the video (and in some older stuff of his) but in that tweet he outright says Thompson ''had it coming''

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
I said that they happened for different reasons, not that it was acceptable.[/b]
And in that previous thread you mentioned I'd already called that out as implicitly condoning it by way of not condoning it.

Not, its entirely relevant. Its how most of this discussion gets passed around. Its how smaller voices get heard on the internet.
Oh come on, game sites were (or should have been) well-epuipped to run stories of death threats and harassment long before Twitter. There were ways to communicate with one another long before social media.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Jumplion said:
Mikeyfell said:
So Jack Thompson is a despicable hypocrite, yet you don't see any parallels between him and Anita Sarkeesian?

I mean, death threats are bad no matter who gets them, but you don't see how awful it is for someone who throws around the word "misogynist" like it's candy and yet bends over backwards to point out that every instance of violence against men is somehow "Framed acceptably" by video games.

The broad strokes of her message are fine, better female characters who wouldn't want that.
But her personal bigotry against men makes her an unsuitable figurehead for anything really
Where has she ever expressed "personal bigotry" towards men? I have not seen a single example of this in her videos or various tweets, not even in your offhand example where you completely miss the point of what it means for a game to "frame" violence as an acceptable means of a solution.
Very often, her most recent TVW video was full of statements like "When a woman... blah blah blah" which is putting a clear divide between how she feels about the exact same action directed at a man or a woman.

In her rant on Watch_Dogs and how it's so bad that there's a side mission where a woman gets beaten up, then immediately shows a man getting beaten up and says that's "acceptable" because of the way the violence was "framed"

My favorite example is from her Christmas Songs video where she says (paraphrasing) when a woman sings "all I want for Christmas is you" she's being submissive and docile, when a man sings the same lyric he's being creepy and stalkerish.

You can't talk about sexism being bad if you believe the gender of the subject has an effect on the connotation of the exact same action.
She's so busy tilting at windmills that she can't even tell she's the dragon!

when talking about GTA or other open world games she tries to say that the female NPC's are only there to give male gamers something pretty to shoot (Or some nonsense like that) Does it even register to you how fucked up a statement like that is?
She demonstrates textbook sexism in every video she's ever made. Having a good point every now and then doesn't wash any of that away.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
cleric of the order said:
You know what
here
I feel this was a much better and hell much more interesting attempt to analyze things.
And better yet I feel pretty fucking hopeful about the game industry then when I've had the misfortune to watch Anita's regurgitation.
This - so many times this. KiteTales' vid is a great counterpoint to Anita's onesided BS.

Please Moviebob: Get your facts straight

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
Please read my response to Uriel. Whereas he's willfully being intellectually dishonest,
You're the one being dishonest here from what I can tell. If you take issue with my points and/or conduct then adress me directly (and it's be nice if you'd quote me in the normal way so that I'd be noticed, just saying). Trying to drag others into it is not classy.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Really bob? I have been avoiding all of the Gamergate and Annita "pay attention to me" Whats-her-face news on purpose. All things like this do is feed the trolls.... On both sides... And you sneak this in on me.

Like MANY other things the Gamergate movement started with a great goal. Transparency in how video game developers and journalists interacted and to reduce the potential for corruption therein. Now we have people trying to claim that everyone who had an issue with journalists and developers acting shady are all trolls and potential hate mongers. Just because some white trash racist jerk buys a Big Mac does not mean all McDonalds are KKK and neonazi supporters.

Both my wife and I agree that the principle of Gamergate is an issue that should be addressed. Hell Jim has already touched on it with the Shadows of Mordor episode. That is the issue. I could honestly give a shit less about Annita and Zoe, and the people who do want to threaten them are NOT representative of Gamergate! All the original incident did was point out there is an issue.

But hey most of the gaming industry already knows this but keep hyping up that .01% of hate mongers as all of us. They do a great job of distracting from the real issue...........

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Why oh why do I occasionally watch a moviebob video anymore? Is it some deranged belief that he'll actually have reasonable points? People compare Anita to Jack Thompson because their arc is near IDENTICAL, the only difference really being Anita's gender. They're both attention seeking, self promoters, riding a wave, as he put it, to get themselves out there. Anita's even started blaming mysogeony for school shootings now. People don't bring Jack up because he's some kind of mythical figure like Candlejack or something, they bring...

Well, I'm gonna need more rope. What Uratoh meant to say, was that people bring Thompson up because there are some distinct parallels between his 'games cause violence' rhetoric, right down to the death threats he received, and the 'games cause mysogeony' rhetoric Anita and her ilk tend to spout. Now if you'll excuse me, someone just said my name on tumblr.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Jack Thompson, Jack Thompson, Jack Thompson! Did it work? I don't see him anywhere.
Although nice use of the clips from the Bogeyman episodes of The Real Ghostbusters, especially after that HD column listing their best episodes. SO Jack is one of those self-described "crusaders" blaming video games for ALL the evils in the modern world but who has a Castlevania's amount of skeletons in their closet. Doesn't sound all that different from Sarkisian.
Who here watched that episode of The Colbert Report that had her on the show to talk about video games?
V4Viewtiful said:
I can't hear Ollie North without that American Dad song
That is a catchy number, isn't it? I like how they made it look like those old Schoolhouse Rock shorts.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
Slayer4472 said:
Premise A: If it was acceptable to send death threats to Thompson, then it is acceptable to send death threats to Sarkeesian.
Premise B: It is not acceptable to send death threats to Sarkeesian.
Therefor, it was not acceptable to send death threats to Thompson.
Please read my response to Uriel. Whereas he's willfully being intellectually dishonest, you're probably just unknowingly making the jump from "it happened for different reasons" to "its acceptable in this circumstance because x, y, and z".

To use another example, say, the imprisonment of Women's Saffragists in the United States during World War I under the Sedition Act. If I say "Its because Woodrow Wilson didn't want such an issue to cause a diminishment in the support of the government during wartime", I'm not condoning Woodrow Wilson suspending the First Amendment, I'm just explaining why it happened. Did gaming media fuck up? Yeah, they threw gasoline onto the fire, I never denied that. However, the disparity in treatment towards Thompson and Sarkeesian is the root of them being advocates for different things in entirely different methods, not because one has a vagina and that gaming media is full of white knights who think they'll get laid if they're nice to somebody online.
I'm not sure I see the difference between the treatment of Sarkeesian and Thompson, to be honest. They've both recieved death threats in an inapropriate response to poorly made criticism, and both have had major push backs against them because of it.

Would you kindly explain why you believe the gaming community's treatment of Sarkeesian is any different?

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Slayer4472 said:
If you believe that the death threats against Thompson were in any way different than the ones being sent to Sarkeesian, then you need to get your pants off your head. Threatening to murder someone is NOT acceptable under ANY circumstances.
What's disquieting is that some people do believe that. Hell, Bob believes that:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/527993572734537728

He's more evasive about it in the video (and in some older stuff of his) but in that tweet he outright says Thompson ''had it coming''
Well that is severely concerning. Isn't saying that he "had it coming" victim blaming?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
faeshadow said:
How is it a stupid comparison?

"Video games cause violence" and "Video games cause sexism" are not exactly different mindsets. They're just blaming inanimate objects on different things.
Sure they are. One is making the oh-so-controversial suggestion that media can shape how people think about things (if this isn't true, then a lot of people in the media are seriously wasting their time), and the other is claiming that games can take over people's minds and compel them to commit actual physical acts. It's essentially the difference between saying that a particular movie can change people's minds about homosexuality and saying that it will literally make people gay.

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I'd say that Bob is the one being disingenuous here. Thompson isn't being brought up in this context as a boogieman, it's to make people aware of how badly both the gaming community and the gaming media responded to him.
Define "this context". Bob wasn't responding directly to any one conversation. A lot of people say a lot of things in a lot of places; it's entirely possible that he was addressing something completely different from what you've seen.

Your angle would have made for a more interesting video, though. Not gonna deny that.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Well the comparison is tired if nothing else. There are plenty of other self righteous moral guardians out there we can make comparisons to without quite the personal baggage:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralGuardians

Check the section on real life. I like reminding people that things like the Comics Code Authority started not in congress, but with a book of criticisms that were cherry picked, out of context, sometimes lies, and often projections of Wertham's own fears. Moral Crusaders are hardly new, and I don't think I've ever seen one as intelligent even when much younger as I watch outrage over Murphey Brown's single parenthood, the violence in power rangers, or the lesbian wedding on Friends. This show promotes violence, that book attacks religion, this music is satanic hell before Anita became a thing we were all united at the joke that was One Million Moms and their upset that video games could have gay characters (guess a group that thought a skittles commercial could encourage bestiality aren't all that stable.)

So Anita's coming up with feminist criticism, but that alone isn't something I give credence to any more than I do criticisms based on religious grounds, or environmentalist ones, or political ones. Even if these critics are 100% right, so what. It isn't the media's job to self censor or even acknowledge every crackpot that comes up and says their values aren't being represented. Some may need more monetary stimulation, and others may just tell you to fuck off they're trying to make something that challenges your views because they don't agree with them.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/23/official-nintendo-magazine-uk-calls-senran-kagura-2-filth-xseed-producer-responds-in-kind/

Thompson is a recognizable name for a larger disease of people that take issue with anything not promoting the "right" values. His time has gone, but other are on the fight now, and until I get better indication otherwise, I include Anita in that group of people that have little to say but implications of how some piece of poorly written fiction either creates, promotes, or props up shitty behavior, at least until I see signs that her work isn't based on similar shitty logic and stereotyping the whole industry by its worst examples.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Wait when did Jack Thompson become relevant again?
I haven't heard his name in ... I don't know how many years, right up till I saw this video ...

I had almost completely forgotten he existed

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
piscian said:
Bob, dude, seriously...

It's your show and technically you can do whatever you want but regardless of ideological difference NO ONE came here to listen to you rant about this issue. Do yourself a favor and take this discussion to another outlet unless you want to alienate viewers who enjoy the big picture for discussing geek nostalgia and other "fun" topics.
I came here to listen to him rant about this. While I feel he was perhaps a little snide here, I agree with his overall point and am glad he made it.

Though you did admit he can make and do whatever he wants here, so at least you gave him that.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Ugh, I thought something like this was coming when some GG people started comparing certain internet personalities to Jack Thompson. And seriously? I partly agree: It is a stupid comparison, those personalities are only partially comparable. Also nobody should be shouted down for their opinion.

However, when certain parts of gaming culture try to force their opinions down the throats of other parts these parts should not be surprised if they meet resistance. Ultimately Bob's video is nothing else and laced with shaming tactics.

And believe me, I say this as a neutral person in this whole clusterfuck. None of the sides is perfect and all of them have skeletons in their closet. Certain internet personalities posting either 8-tweet-long tirades certainly doesn't help the situation. It only adds more fuel to the fire when it could have been over after a week [http://gganalysis.blogspot.de/2014/10/gamer-gate-analysis.html].