The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
The_Kodu said:
KazeAizen said:
The_Kodu said:
I'm sorry but this is too good now.

Are you really saying you didn't even watch the video before passing judgement ?
It really sounds like you are.

You know that Listen and believe thing ?
That means go in with an open mind and judge for yourself not automatically believe on blind faith alone.

I don't know how you can write a post claiming there are no good points to be had without killing yourself of laughing knowing you've not watched the video. The Irony is just so comedic there.
Oh I've seen some of his videos. I couldn't stomach them. So no its not blind faith alone. Thunderf00t really is just a sexist idiot that thinks Anita is some kind of bogeyman. Whatever "good" points he may have had is built on a foundation of so much crap its laughable.
So that really is what you're saying. the point can't have validity because of who is saying it ?
Also have you not seen that thunderfoot is equally mocking of men and women that act like idiots ? It's not special treatment being given to one group he's hammered creationist dudes in the past too.

You're acting like he only ever does videos directed at women.
Exactly. Sure he may not direct them exclusively at women but the ones he has....well his points are about as valid as me trying to speak on how to properly operate a space shuttle.

The fact that people have rallied behind him is what is actually hysterical here.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
The_Kodu said:
Mikeyfell said:
Fascinating, If her videos were supposed to be advertizing something I think they backfired a little.
Since most of the conversation is about her persona, rather than her points.

"better rolls for female characters" is a concept that should be able to sell its self.
I don't know they've worked pretty well even for such a rather badly constructed piece of advertising. I guess it shows the power of fear.

Quite what she's advertising is the true interesting question and I'd suggest maybe it's not "better rolls for female characters" but Anita's own view points and ideological standing. It's selling new age 2nd wave feminism as the one with answers and as having the right approach. It's selling the concept that ideas such as the subject object dichotomy hold serious weight to them. He;; it could even just be selling her as an authority or person of knowledge.

The illusion stops working when you see something glaringly obvious to challenge the idea, if Anita made less rather obvious mistakes more people would be supporting her because of the techniques used.
I think it's a little troubling that she doesn't attempt to veil her bullshit.
Mostly all her TVW videos could be improved by cutting like 5 or 10 minutes from them

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Jaytr13 said:
KazeAizen said:
The_Kodu said:

Are you really saying you didn't even watch the video before passing judgement ?

That means go in with an open mind and judge for yourself not automatically believe on blind faith alone.

I don't know how you can write a post claiming there are no good points to be had without killing yourself of laughing knowing you've not watched the video. The Irony is just so comedic there.
Oh I've seen some of his videos. I couldn't stomach them. So no its not blind faith alone. Thunderf00t really is just a sexist idiot that thinks Anita is some kind of bogeyman. Whatever "good" points he may have had is built on a foundation of so much crap its laughable.
Spoken like a true feminist. Acting like your opinion means more than others, the usual. Like I already said before, Anita Sarkeesian doesn't know the first thing about video games.

Somebody else's opinion isn't yours, so it's wrong. No, sorry. That's WHY they're called opinions, and that's why we're allowed to have discussions on the Internet because people expect us to have rational and fair discussions.

Tell me, if Sarkeesian isn't a big deal why did Comedy Central close it's comment section on the Sarkeesian video? They were certainly fine with being mercilessly brutal any other time, so why did it lose it's balls now? yeah, it doesn't matter..give me a fucking break pal. We need to stand up to this shit and we don't need people like you who can't unbury their head from the sand.
You act like being a feminist is one of the most evil things on the planet. Do you know what the point of her videos are? Its to use video games as a spring board to introduce basic feminist theory to the medium and its consumers/developers by showing real problematic running cases with the medium itself.

Its not that "His opinion isn't mine therefore its wrong." Its more like Thunderf00t is a legitimate idiot and the opinions of an idiot mean nothing.

Stand up to what shit exactly? What are we standing up to? There's nothing to fight. Literally there is nothing there to fight or stand up to.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
inu-kun said:
Yeah, no gamer identity, I mean, I only play games for 20+ hours a week, how dare I think myself better than people who play Farmville and think they know "GAMING".

Moral of the story, it's okay to limit free speach as long as you're in political left.
Why think yourself better than anybody for even playing video games?

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
delroland said:
Gorrath said:
delroland said:
piscian said:
Bob, dude, seriously...

It's your show and technically you can do whatever you want but regardless of ideological difference NO ONE came here to listen to you rant about this issue. Do yourself a favor and take this discussion to another outlet unless you want to alienate viewers who enjoy the big picture for discussing geek nostalgia and other "fun" topics.
Actually, that's exactly what I came for, as well as to see the garglegoat bandwagon whine like the misogynist white male privilege babies they are.
I find this sort of thing to be fascinating. There's a certain mindset that leads to one boiling a movement down to a series of derogatory statements and that mindset is one I've never been able to wrap my head around. I find it particularly interesting that you refer to them as "babies", since your message conveys the idea that you, yourself are engaging in the most juvenile behavior imaginable. I also find it extraordinary that you seem to think everyone who is pro GG is a male or white. I don't imagine you actually believe that though; I am thinking it's just easier to ignore the actual makeup of the group so you can engage in a bit of slamming white males.

I'm not being devious when I say it is fascinating though; I really do find it interesting how people can set their minds this way. The harshness of my criticism is because I also find it deplorable. And surely it doesn't matter, but I am not pro GG myself. I simply find that your description of that movement to be so wacky that it makes a caricature of you more than them.
I use caricature simply because I find nothing serious to take in their stance, and I'm tired of explaining it to people who won't listen. Also, by your definition of immaturity I am well within my rights to point it out in a group that paints their opponents as "LW#" or "SJW" or "left-wing radical". Furthermore, while it is given that GG is not entirely made up of white males, they certainly make up the overwhelming majority. Hell, I'm a white male, and I don't have this sense of entitlement that GG seems to have. It's like they've never read "The And and the Grasshopper", or even seen the Disney adaptation; maybe they could learn a thing or two from it.

I also can't stand GG apologists who "aren't pro-GG" yet don't hesitate to rise to their defense at every opportunity. Where are the criticisms of the ridiculous and short sighted demands made by GG that wouldn't actually fix anything that they purport to want fixed? The lack of such criticisms demonstrates a clear bias toward supporting GG.

(I'm talking about you.)
That is interesting one how do you know that a majority of gg is white and why would that matter in fact white males make up a majority of both sides so really that whole distinction means what now?
Also you brought up that scary word entitlement another casualty in a long list of words that have been over used and have lost all meaning at this point.

I mean you say you are not entitled yet here you are mad at people who don't share the same hate or level of distaste for something the same as you or the way want them to. And yet you say your are not entitled is really hilarious. For real you come off like a bizarro world version of the thing you despise.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
I am starting to hate youtubers more and more. The way people listen to them reminds me of the un-critical hoard that listened to the likes of Rush Limbaugh and greedily licked up his droppings leading to the poisoning of their minds.

There is so many lies about Anita floating around STILL. This is pathetic.

Jaytr13

Apr 17, 2014
KazeAizen said:
Jaytr13 said:
KazeAizen said:
The_Kodu said:

Spoken like a true feminist. Acting like your opinion means more than others, the usual. Like I already said before, Anita Sarkeesian doesn't know the first thing about video games.

Somebody else's opinion isn't yours, so it's wrong. No, sorry. That's WHY they're called opinions, and that's why we're allowed to have discussions on the Internet because people expect us to have rational and fair discussions.

Tell me, if Sarkeesian isn't a big deal why did Comedy Central close it's comment section on the Sarkeesian video? They were certainly fine with being mercilessly brutal any other time, so why did it lose it's balls now? yeah, it doesn't matter..give me a fucking break pal. We need to stand up to this shit and we don't need people like you who can't unbury their head from the sand.
You act like being a feminist is one of the most evil things on the planet. Do you know what the point of her videos are? Its to use video games as a spring board to introduce basic feminist theory to the medium and its consumers/developers by showing real problematic running cases with the medium itself.

Its not that "His opinion isn't mine therefore its wrong." Its more like Thunderf00t is a legitimate idiot and the opinions of an idiot mean nothing.

Stand up to what shit exactly? What are we standing up to? There's nothing to fight. Literally there is nothing there to fight or stand up to.
So Anita hasn't ever said anything that's rang a bit loony to you if you do or don't follow this whole feminism thing? Say a tweet like this:

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/525834975942164482

Because you know during a school shooting it's a great and perfectly acceptable time to push a political agenda and act like adopting feminism will solve all our problems and bring back the dead and injured, and then the mental scars from the children and the parents, white or black. It doesn't seem a bit loony to you that a woman would say because of a so called installed "white male patriarchy" in the country that these school shootings happen? you don't, y'know think it's just because people are CRAZY?

Because whether or not you can see it, it's there. The thing is, this is OUR medium, not the feminists, and we're allowed to have and voice our opinions too, thunderf00t included. He brings up valid points and BS contradictions that feminists like Anita just like to gloss over.

Honestly, I don't really care whether or not you think he's an idiot, even idiots are right at least once a day, mate.

As for who we're fighting against it's the non-gamer feminists who can't put a rational argument on TV without having to rely on buzzwords and pre-written scripts, and are co-opting our medium to get their own voices out. The games medium is not a fucking career opportunity for people like Sarkeesian to fall back on because they never had a real voice until social media came along.

We have women protagonists. But they have a big rack, therefore they are male fantasies to be objectified and can't be looked at as just women with big boobs. Bayonetta is strong and badass but because she's a strong independent women who's sexy she's not a good example.

Why exactly should we be licking the boots of these women, exactly? these women won't even bother to get into the stories of these games and characters, because apparently Just Cause 2 is just a woman murdering simulator when it isn't a misiion requirment to shoot them. it really is just like Jack Thompson, fuck

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Magmarock said:
Okay bob, I have written down in a text document my thoughts on Anita Sarkeesian and Michael Atkinson. I withheld posting it in the forums because it was a little while since I wrote it and it didn't seem as relevant.

now it seems more relevant then ever. When I compare Michael Atkinson ( a man who actually succeeded in censoring and banning games) with the likes of Jack Thompson and Anita Sarkeesian; I have a lot more respect for Atkinson. The man was wrong about many things but he was also transparent.

When people compare Jack to Anita what they're doing is point out that the harassment that Jack received was okay and no one cared but when Anita gets it, it's suddenly bad.

No one cared when Atkinson received death threats at his door step, but when Anita get's a few angry emails from some internet trolls everyone terns themselves inside out. It's a bullshit double standard Bob and it's not okay.

I am a gamer Bob and I don't like Anita Sarkeesian. I think she's disingenuous, liar and a con artist who seeks attention. However, I have never spoken to her nor have I made any attempt to talk to her. I have nothing to say to her and don't even consider her a gamer. Her presence on websites such as this is what I find the most troubling.

One final point I want to make is the customer is always right. If gamers don't like something then all we have to do is stop funding it. Remember Bob, gamers are keeping you employed, but who is keeping Anita employed.
Pretty much because he has received death treats for doing much more than just criticizing videogames (like making laws to declare motorcycle clubs as outlaw organisations). You must haven't been paying much attention to Australian news in 2010.

Gamers scarier than bikies: Michael Atkinson [http://www.news.com.au/technology/gamers-scarier-than-bikies-says-michael-atkinson/story-e6frfro0-1225830886493]

PS: Gamers don't keep Bob employed. His audience does (and I'm pretty sure there are not only gamers in it).

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Magmarock said:
Okay bob, I have written down in a text document my thoughts on Anita Sarkeesian and Michael Atkinson. I withheld posting it in the forums because it was a little while since I wrote it and it didn't seem as relevant.

now it seems more relevant then ever. When I compare Michael Atkinson ( a man who actually succeeded in censoring and banning games) with the likes of Jack Thompson and Anita Sarkeesian; I have a lot more respect for Atkinson. The man was wrong about many things but he was also transparent.

When people compare Jack to Anita what they're doing is point out that the harassment that Jack received was okay and no one cared but when Anita gets it, it's suddenly bad.

No one cared when Atkinson received death threats at his door step, but when Anita get's a few angry emails from some internet trolls everyone terns themselves inside out. It's a bullshit double standard Bob and it's not okay.

I am a gamer Bob and I don't like Anita Sarkeesian. I think she's disingenuous, liar and a con artist who seeks attention. However, I have never spoken to her nor have I made any attempt to talk to her. I have nothing to say to her and don't even consider her a gamer. Her presence on websites such as this is what I find the most troubling.

One final point I want to make is the customer is always right. If gamers don't like something then all we have to do is stop funding it. Remember Bob, gamers are keeping you employed, but who is keeping Anita employed.
Pretty much because he has received death treats for doing much more than just criticizing videogames (like making laws to declare motorcycle clubs as outlaw organisations). You must haven't been paying much attention to Australian news in 2010.

Gamers scarier than bikies: Michael Atkinson [http://www.news.com.au/technology/gamers-scarier-than-bikies-says-michael-atkinson/story-e6frfro0-1225830886493]

PS: Gamers don't keep Bob employed. His audience does (and I'm pretty sure there are not only gamers in it).
And this is some how okay. It's not okay to threaten anyone, it's the double standard that I have an issue with.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Jaytr13 said:
The thing is, this is OUR medium, not the feminists, and we're allowed to have and voice our opinions too, thunderf00t included.
I'm a feminist who has been gaming since my Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 days. It's far more my medium than yours. Though granted, back then I wouldn't have identified as a feminist because I was a young, immature nerd who didn't have the slightest idea what feminism was. (A-hem) Not sure how inthe world you think you can claim a media that makes more money than movies and music together.

Of course people are more than welcome to listen to anyone they want and voice opinions wherever they want (within legality) If you don't like current gaming journalism, go start your own site. If you don't like critical analysis of games, don't read it. No one is forcing you to go to sites and interact with stories you don't like. You are more than welcome to your opinions. But, to paraphrase President Humphry, your right to voice your opinion does not mean you have the right to be taken seriously. Moronic Strawman that feminist analysis is mutually exclusive to being a gamer is a laughingstock. People can say it all they want, but that won't stop the contempt or the eventual annoyance at someone yelling it every five minutes .

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
KazeAizen said:

Thank you! I hate TF, his grasp of feminism is so very little it seems non existent, but you know, he's a chemist, so obviously he's as much an authority on modern feminism and religion as anyone else.

I watched his videos and subscribed to his channel before even his first videos on the subject. Despite never really questioning him, I had something in my gut saying "He's really not making too compelling of points and getting to smug for really tiny victories". Once I finally got around to watching criticism Anita's videos after watching his and other "critics", I found a person who I generally feel was a mixed bag out of Anita and a hypocrite and fool out of Phil Mason[footnote] He hates when you use his actual name.[/footnote]. Some of her examples work, some don't, yet I still generally agree with her conclusions, certain tropes are just plain bad. One I know I hate is the magic love potion, if it doesn't have a consequence. Think about it, you basically completely disregard someone else's autonomy to satisfy your own romantic/sexual intrigue in them. I just find that sick! Thankfully, that trope has been rarely used, and when used, has consequences, but many of Anita's can be seen as just as bad, see damsels in distress as a fairly close one.

And I'm actually still a critic of Anita, unfortunately, I hate the bad criticism she gets even more, and I feel a lot of these "white knights" are much the same. I find it comparable to just not caring what someone has to say or having a discussion, but just wanting to "win". This kind of thinking leads to just making logical fallacy after logical fallacy. I will now show a clip kind of illustrating what the problems seem to be. You can stop anytime.

Seriously, I would advise checking out tooltime9901 on his analysis of both Anita and her "critics". Tropes VS AS are for the critics, FF series is to analyze Anita Also, the channel I used some really good content on the subject too. I shall link this and this . Seriously, I'm not one to say "this channel is amazing!", but I find it really enjoyable and agreeable, even if I find the user to be a bit more jerkish in his comment section.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Bob, you make the same mistake as every US based person on the internet: You think there is no other country in the world as the USA.
Well, i'm from germany and i'm in my mid 30's.

I play video games since i'm 9 years old and i heard the name Jack Thomson for the first time , i believe 5-7 years ago.
I did not need JT to feel like a gamer, nor did other people outside of the USA need him to form a gamer culture.

We "build" our gamer culture by simply playing games, meet with others who played games and discussed games.
That said, if you want to talk about "the sarkeesian", please mention it in the title. So i have the chance to skip this video. I avoid as much of the gamergate crap as possible.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Magmarock said:
CaitSeith said:
Magmarock said:

And this is some how okay. It's not okay to threaten anyone, it's the double standard that I have an issue with.
It's not double standard. They are different scenarios. But you know what? I bet in 4 years few people from the general public will remember that Sarkeesian's death treats were such a big deal (the same way Thompson's and Atkinson's are remembered right now)

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Ya know... I was going to go into a long-winded post attempting to rationally discuss my grievances with Miss Sarkeesian 'criticism' and drawing redundant attention to Bob's startling continued dalliance with hypocrisy...but then I read all of the comments. So, instead, I'll go into a long-winded griping/concern trollish rant.

It's the same people.

It's the same people, over and over and over and over again, repeating the same points, on either side of the 'debate.'

The same self-important snark.
The same righteous indignation.
The same smarmy, thinly veiled insults. (You know who you are.)
The same smarmy, direct insults. (The mods know who you are.)

The usual suspects. Each and every thread. And I guess I'd be considered one of them by this point.

Can I make a sincere appeal here?

Can we all just... I don't know... not be complete and utter jackasses to one another for one day? Just one?

How about an entire day on these forums with vaguely polite or light-hearted discussion? Or, failing that, perhaps dialogue that doesn't contain so much in the way of petty ad hominem bullshit?

Please?

You all do seem like nice enough people. Well, most of you, with few glaring exceptions that fill me with a strong sense of pity, more so than anything resembling anger or irritation. I'm sure you've all got the capability to be level-headed and decent to one another.

This includes you, Bob.

Maybe swallow the hate for a bit, take a step back, and look at yourself? Maybe? Please? I'd like to be able to watch your videos again, as the movie reviews and comic stuff was quite interesting/entertaining, for the most part, without constantly having your ridiculous tweets cropping up in the back of my mind.

Rant over.

TL;DR: Lost is weary of impotent forum warriorizening and would like to hug many of you.

Jaytr13

Apr 17, 2014
Belaam said:
Jaytr13 said:
The thing is, this is OUR medium, not the feminists, and we're allowed to have and voice our opinions too, thunderf00t included.
I'm a feminist who has been gaming since my Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 days. It's far more my medium than yours. Though granted, back then I wouldn't have identified as a feminist because I was a young, immature nerd who didn't have the slightest idea what feminism was. (A-hem) Not sure how in the world you think you can claim a media that makes more money than movies and music together.
Nice logical fallacy yourself. "I played video games before you were born, therefore I own them more than you. You're an immature nerd, and you can't claim this medium but I can." No evidence, nothing to back up your assertions, using your own subjective life experiences as ammo for your arguments..you don't understand the first thing about strawman and logical fallacies, lol.

Belaam said:
Of course people are more than welcome to listen to anyone they want and voice opinions wherever they want (within legality) If you don't like current gaming journalism, go start your own site.
Not how games journalism works. For someone who says you own the medium more than I do you sure are quick to dismiss games journalism issues. When you see something wrong, we have this thing called "vote with your wallet and call people out on their bullshit". Because we have the right to do so as game consumers.

That's what GG was SUPPOSED to be about, ethics in games journalism before everyone started getting their political agendas involved.

Belaam said:
If you don't like critical analysis of games, don't read it. No one is forcing you to go to sites and interact with stories you don't like. You are more than welcome to your opinions. But, to paraphrase President Humphry, your right to voice your opinion does not mean you have the right to be taken seriously.
Sure. Just like you for example, I don't have to take everything seriously and I don't have to take Ms. Sarkeesian's "analysis" of games seriously either. I can call BS when I see it.

Sounds like a fair trade-off to me, President Humphry was a fair guy, he'd make a good games journalist, we need more of those.

Belaam said:
Moronic Strawman that feminist analysis is mutually exclusive to being a gamer is a laughingstock. People can say it all they want, but that won't stop the contempt or the eventual annoyance at someone yelling it every five minutes.
So if it isn't why are feminists so afraid of analysis of themselves then? it really just sounds like a double standard to me. So you're saying, people like thunderf00t can't analyze Anita and are just "idiots" when he makes counter-points against her, but Anita is allowed to analyze something you like because you like it and because she's talking about something you like, that makes it A OK. I think I got the gist of it now.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
delroland said:
Riot3000 said:
delroland said:
Gorrath said:
delroland said:
piscian said:
Bob, dude, seriously...

It's your show and technically you can do whatever you want but regardless of ideological difference NO ONE came here to listen to you rant about this issue. Do yourself a favor and take this discussion to another outlet unless you want to alienate viewers who enjoy the big picture for discussing geek nostalgia and other "fun" topics.
Actually, that's exactly what I came for, as well as to see the garglegoat bandwagon whine like the misogynist white male privilege babies they are.
I find this sort of thing to be fascinating. There's a certain mindset that leads to one boiling a movement down to a series of derogatory statements and that mindset is one I've never been able to wrap my head around. I find it particularly interesting that you refer to them as "babies", since your message conveys the idea that you, yourself are engaging in the most juvenile behavior imaginable. I also find it extraordinary that you seem to think everyone who is pro GG is a male or white. I don't imagine you actually believe that though; I am thinking it's just easier to ignore the actual makeup of the group so you can engage in a bit of slamming white males.

I'm not being devious when I say it is fascinating though; I really do find it interesting how people can set their minds this way. The harshness of my criticism is because I also find it deplorable. And surely it doesn't matter, but I am not pro GG myself. I simply find that your description of that movement to be so wacky that it makes a caricature of you more than them.
I use caricature simply because I find nothing serious to take in their stance, and I'm tired of explaining it to people who won't listen. Also, by your definition of immaturity I am well within my rights to point it out in a group that paints their opponents as "LW#" or "SJW" or "left-wing radical". Furthermore, while it is given that GG is not entirely made up of white males, they certainly make up the overwhelming majority. Hell, I'm a white male, and I don't have this sense of entitlement that GG seems to have. It's like they've never read "The And and the Grasshopper", or even seen the Disney adaptation; maybe they could learn a thing or two from it.

I also can't stand GG apologists who "aren't pro-GG" yet don't hesitate to rise to their defense at every opportunity. Where are the criticisms of the ridiculous and short sighted demands made by GG that wouldn't actually fix anything that they purport to want fixed? The lack of such criticisms demonstrates a clear bias toward supporting GG.

(I'm talking about you.)
That is interesting one how do you know that a majority of gg is white and why would that matter in fact white males make up a majority of both sides so really that whole distinction means what now?
Also you brought up that scary word entitlement another casualty in a long list of words that have been over used and have lost all meaning at this point.

I mean you say you are not entitled yet here you are mad at people who don't share the same hate or level of distaste for something the same as you or the way want them to. And yet you say your are not entitled is really hilarious. For real you come off like a bizarro world version of the thing you despise.
Good job deflecting the actual point. Not like I haven't seen that before. Typical GG tactic: spam their detractors with words that really have no meaning then beg the question.

"You hate GG because GG hates women. I see no distinction between the two; don't you think hate is wrong?" /trollface

"Hey, I'm not pro-GG, but here's why your argument is wrong. Sure, GG's arguments might be wrong, too, but who really knows? Let's not ask. EVER." /trollface

Get bent.
Serious question: Do you genuinely believe that your inverted commas "side" argues better than the GG people?

From my understanding, the incredibly successful destruction of GamerGate (I'm sorry GG people but it's true, your name has been so thoroughly smeared it's near impossible to use. It's the same thing that happened to feminism) was an ad hominem declaring it misogynistic. Misogynistic or no, that has been what the discussion is about now because it gives the anti- side a better narrative.

Arguing corruption in journalism has fallen to the fucking wayside as bigots feud amongst themselves and use GamerGate as a tag either pro or con to push whatever agenda they may have had.
GamerGate is infested with people who want to have an entirely different argument and that's what it's been about since damn near the entire things inception.
And I know it's damn near pointless pointing this out because the odds of anyone quoted listening is pretty fucking miniscule but I had hoped we were better than this.

OT: Can't speak for all gamers, but Bob's behaviour during this whole debacle has not endeared me towards him so I didn't even watch the video. Getting a little tired of being insulted for my hobby.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
delroland said:
Riot3000 said:
delroland said:
Gorrath said:
delroland said:
piscian said:
Bob, dude, seriously...

(I'm talking about you.)

Good job deflecting the actual point. Not like I haven't seen that before. Typical GG tactic: spam their detractors with words that really have no meaning then beg the question.

"You hate GG because GG hates women. I see no distinction between the two; don't you think hate is wrong?" /trollface

"Hey, I'm not pro-GG, but here's why your argument is wrong. Sure, GG's arguments might be wrong, too, but who really knows? Let's not ask. EVER." /trollface

Get bent.
Serious question: Do you genuinely believe that your inverted commas "side" argues better than the GG people?

From my understanding, the incredibly successful destruction of GamerGate (I'm sorry GG people but it's true, your name has been so thoroughly smeared it's near impossible to use. It's the same thing that happened to feminism) was an ad hominem declaring it misogynistic. Misogynistic or no, that has been what the discussion is about now because it gives the anti- side a better narrative,
There is no argument, there is just the petulant shouting of which I, and many others, are so sick and tired at this point. Arguing with GG is like arguing with a wall which changes its paint job on a nearly daily basis.

No one outside of GG destroyed GG; it was destroyed from within and doomed to failure due to its toxic nature and origins. There are some things you don't recover from, and making death threats against your detractors is one of those things. That's an automatic loss; it doesn't matter how much you apologize or try to make it better.

Furthermore, an ad hominem attack is only an attack if the negative character portrayed is irrelevant to the conversation. If we criticize Jeffrey Skilling when he gives investment advice, that is not ad hominem. It is common sense. So too when we accuse GG of misogyny in its desire to "keep feminism/liberalism/whatever" out of its games, that is not ad hominem because the previous activities of GG are completely relevant to the current conversation.

You don't get to cry, "AD HOMINEM!" just because you don't like the ramifications of criticism of your group to your argument.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
Wow... way to misquote me when my unaltered quote is right in front of you.

"You can't talk about sexism being bad"
some how turned into
"One cannot claim sexism"
That was not your initial statement. But lets suppose I did misquote you, which I admit might be probable when looking at the mineutia of what you said. It's still a wrong statement that does not understand the concept of sexism. If we take the contrast of your argument; "If you believe gender effects how people, or events are percieved, then you can't claim sexism is bad." it falls completely flat and doesn't make sense due to what sexism actually is.

Yes she does. She exclusively does that. in every Tropes Vs. Women video.
She attacks individual developers. and claims that the products they make are inherently misogynistic.
That is literally what Tropes Vs. Women does.
I have not seen a single example of this. Maybe her parable of Miyamoto and the "Dinosaur Planet" game, but even then that's more rhetoric than actively attacking anyone. Simply criticizing an aspect of a game does not mean she's "attacking" individual developers. And, if anything, she actively states against the idea that the products are "inherently misogynistic" like how she says (paraphrasing) "It would be ridiculous to suggest that women should never be harmed in our media," or in the Damsel video how "That's not to say that women should never need help or rely upon other." She is not against the use of these tropes, or portraying women in these certain scenarios, but the extreme prevalence of these types of representations is problematic.

And developers are adults. They can take criticism [https://twitter.com/nullspeak/status/504045057507217408].

She completely ignores that anything you can do to a female NPC you can also do to a male NPC
Are male NPCs often portrayed in sexually provacative ways? Are male NPCs portrayed exactly the same way as female NPCs and in as much prevalence? You're trying to say that men and women are portrayed equally in every way, when that is ostensibly not the case.

And even if you ignored that, it's a moot point. She's not talking about male representation. She doesn't have to. She's talking about specifically female representation in games. They are two very similar, but very different topics under a whole branch of gender topics.

Except for the Watch_Dogs part where she says that all the male NPC's who get beat up or gunned down had it coming by calling them active aggressors
Being "active aggressors" doesn't mean they "had it coming", which is a complete projection on your part. All she stated was that in these events, men are generally portrayed to have more agency or a more active role in the event. The prevalence of men constantly being portrayed as "aggressive" and using violence as a solution is a whole 'nuther issue entirely, and one that I feel she semi-touches upon in the example we are talking about.

Older than dirt sales techniques and older than older than dirt storytelling techniques are bent to her will to make the uncreative out to be sexist
Has anyone been prevented at releasing any one of the games she has cited as having problematic representations of women? Has any other developer been prevented from releasing games with portrayals of women however they see fit since? For that matter, has Roger Ebert's criticisms of films and their portrayals of violence, women, minorities, etc... prevented anybody from making whatever movie they desired?

Also, it's quite possible to be uncreative and sexist at the same time. Because, like I and Sarkeesian and so many others state, these tropes are used out of laziness.

Tropes Vs. Women...
Her series is called Tropes Vs. Women
If she was capable of seeing a fictional character as an individual she would never call her series Tropes Vs. Women
You are being disengenuous.

You originally stated "she looks at these archetypes and sees 'representations of all women'". I pointed out this was wrong. Her entire series is about women, the general concept (like how I can use "you" as a general term when regarding an audience) and how many of them are represented within these certain tropes.

What the fuck are you talking about?
What is it that you think you just said?
You reduced storytelling in games to "The bad guy does something bad..." and then bemoaned how others, as you perceive it, look "too deeply" so to say to find things they believe are sexist. This viewpoint does not allow us to look critically into our media.

No, it doesn't, because she never said that. I rewatched both of her most recent videos and there is nothing like that stated.

What original point? that is what you said. You were wrong.
I provided you with the exact quote instead of a paraphrased version
You said it was never said, I gave you the exact quote and the time stamp in the video. several time stamps
Um, yes it does? Your original claim was Sarkeesian stated that "she tries to say that the female NPC's are only there to give male gamers something pretty to shoot (Or some nonsense like that)" and I stated that, no, she did not say anything remotely close to that. You then proceeded to take direct quotes from her, which were nothing that extreme nor did they represent what your original argument was about.

by the dictionary definition of arbitrary
based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

there is no logical reason to refer to male NPC's as men and female NPC's as female NPC's so her diction was arbitrary.
Your decision to apply "arbitrary-ness" is itself arbitrary. There is plenty logical reason to refer to NPCs as male and female, mainly in how they are portrayed differently in games.

Not even close, I'm saying Anita Sarkeesian is sexist.
http://youtu.be/GpDnr2s9yxQ?t=1m34s
Listen to this clip and tell me she's not sexist (Up to 2:15, or fuck if I care watch the whole video)
She's not being sexist. Especially considering that she considers the song to be equally creepy when sung by either gender, just with different connotations. Because there are different contexts and connotations to people when we look at their gender, ethnicity, orientation, etc... When a man is harsh and commanding, he's "the boss". When a woman does so, she's "bossy" or "bitchy". When a white NFL player is aggressive in celebration, he's "pumped". When a black NFL player is aggressive in celebration, he's a "thug" [http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24417234].

Regardless of all that, she does not express "bigotry" towards men in that clip, she merely notes that, when looked at a certain way, the song can be expressive of a possesive relationship mentality that is a whole 'nuther topic all together.