The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Deadpool said:
Right. But the argument, as presented, is that video games' effect on gender relations nets noticeably negative.

Considering gender relations has improved as exposure to video games has increased, one has to wonder where the evidence is coming from.
A correlation as simple as that is unlikely to be particularly meaningful. There are a million other factors, including all other (quite probably more influential) forms of media.

Even so, an improvement does not mean everything is okay. It means it's better than it was. And since it was utterly shite before, that's not necessarily saying much.

The Deadpool said:
Remember, this isn't about YOUR argument as YOU put for-- Well, you haven't put it forth, just believed it in your head.
Tell me what my belief is. I imagine it isn't actually my belief.

The Deadpool said:
Regardless, this is HER argument (and his) as it presents itself. Although I have to ask: If it doesn't influence behavior in any meaningful way, why should we care? If it does, and causes deaths, why shouldn't we regulate it?
It's not their argument as it presents itself. It is being misrepresented, sometimes unintentionally, sometimes, I suspect, intentionally.

As for your question; it's not an either-or between insignificant influence or direct causation. That is, once again, reductionist. It could be a contributory factor without directly causing anything.

For example; an individual who makes a rude pass at a woman is responsible for his own actions. That action was not caused by their watching James Bond the night before. However, if they've read those books and watched those films alongside a hundred other examples throughout their lifetime, portraying rudeness and misogyny as the actions of a hero, then we may have a contributory factor. The media did not make him do it. Nor is the media necessarily insignificant. That's the nature of media.

The Deadpool said:
Not when talking of the validity of the premise that LEADS to censoring.

If I believe the sky is pink, it doesn't matter if I think we should live it with, or if we should dance naked at noon to worship it, or if we should spend a million dollars to fly rockets up there and paint it blue again: The basic premise is wrong, what I think we should do about it is IRRELEVANT.
Uh-huh, but we've not established that the premise is wrong.

The Deadpool said:
Yes. It was reported. Often as a matter of fact (while still sneaking in negative information on him). Sometimes in jest. Especially the Mortal Kombat mod that let you play against him.

Compare it to the reporting on Anita's harassment. For giggles compare it to the treatment of the rudimentary flash game where you punch her. Do I have to find links?

The difference is astounding.

The depressing thing is, you know who actually treat them the same are the terrible people who SENT the damned death threats. Or sure, Sarkeesian likes the narrative that this is all some anti woman, "get out of our games!" thing. But for all the vitrol Sarkeesian, Quinn, Wu and the like got, it's not like Thompson, Ebert or Vonderhaar had it any better. The media just didn't care as much... Nor did they.
The response was quite different, as I've agreed. This may be because threats against Thompson, I've read, were primarily in private emails, rather than the very public nature of the ones on Twitter and other public forums against Sarkeesian. Examples are far more forthcoming.

Plus, it would be remiss to ignore the highly sexual nature of a lot of the stuff thrown at Sarkeesian.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
The Deadpool said:
[The] argument, as presented, is that video games' effect on gender relations nets noticeably negative.

Considering gender relations has improved as exposure to video games has increased, one has to wonder where the evidence is coming from.
Regarding the first sentence, I don't think I've ever seen empirically back-up research that could demonstrate net the net results of anything. That's just the nature of social science. There are far too many variables involved to create strong causal links between anything. In the case of sexism, that might be a good thing. At the point that some people can claim that they can objectively make statements about sexism and therefor solve it, that takes away the legitimacy of criticism from people who might still be harmed under what is perceived to be perfect egalitarianism. In that sense, Sarkeesian's qualitative (that is to say, non-experimental, non-numeric) methods might not be ideal, but at least her actions still fulfill this basic social function of criticism.
Regarding the second sentence, this is not a scientific statement either. Because it's subject to a possible ecological fallacy, it's not sufficient to disprove Sarkeesian's hypotheses. To give you an example, it's still possible that gender equality increases because of other factors but is held back in achieving its fullest potential by portrayals of women in video games (among other things). So you see, net advantage would not necessarily entail the non-existence of a negative relation between video games and gender equality (at least not in a meaningful, numerically scientific way).

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Silvanus said:
The response was quite different, as I've agreed. This may be because threats against Thompson, I've read, were primarily in private emails, rather than the very public nature of the ones on Twitter and other public forums against Sarkeesian. Examples are far more forthcoming.

Plus, it would be remiss to ignore the highly sexual nature of a lot of the stuff thrown at Sarkeesian.
I suspect that an even more crucial issue is the fact that the object being criticized is something that people love, so most gamers just have this gut reaction of dismay. Together, her critics form a loose campaign against Sarkeesian, in time even with its own slogans as an excuse for an incomplete or incoherent argumentation (analogous to gun lobbyists in the U.S.: "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun") The whole process is very irrational, in both the cases of Thompson and Sarkeesian, but you couldn't really notice it during the Thompson campaign, because he was motivated by his own sociopolitical irrationality. At least Sarkeesian is trying to engage in a meaningful dialogue.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Jaytr13 said:
1$ is the US equivalent, love. ... But this isn't about the financial situation, because I just told you how much they get paid.
$1 USD in the US is not equal to $1 USD in the UK is not equal to $1 USD in Mexico is not equal to $1 USD in India. Heck, even within the U.S., $1 will get you vastly different amounts of food in Alaska or California. You've given me a context free number. After doing your research for you, it looks like a loaf of bread in Mauritius goes for $0.43 USD. So about 30 minutes of work for a loaf of bread. There's currently a push in some US states to raise the minimum wage to $10 and hour. A basic loaf of bread will be around $2. So that's 15 minutes of work for the same amount/type of food. Not great, but far better than most of humanity, sadly.

As a feminist, how do you feel about the fact that these women are living in poor living conditions and being paid extremely poor wages? that is not equal rights.
As a feminist, you haven't shown me that there's inequality between the sexes, so I have no opinion on it as a feminist problem as you haven't demonstrated there to be one. As a Marxist, I think global financial inequality is a big problem.

I asked you how you felt that a shirt with such controversy is approved by women, because you said feminism is completely open to analysis and has been going on for hundreds of years. I'm asking you, a feminist, your thoughts.
Ah. Okay. I feel like it was used as a political gotcha and to catch headlines. Most clothing in developed countries is made in less developed countries by workers who are paid the bare minimum to ensure they show up for work the next day. Again though, this is a Marxist issue, not a Feminist issue. If men are being paid $2 an hour to make these clothes and women are being paid $1 an hour to make these clothes, THEN it becomes a feminist issue. But you're simply not giving me enough details to determine if this is a feminist issue.

FenchurchSt

Oct 14, 2014
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Monsterfurby said:
Thank you for calling "gamer identity" absurd - "gamer" is one of the most useless labels in existence and absolutely does not do justice to the diversity of 'those who play (video) games'.
The label may mean nothing to you, but who are you to decide that others shouldn't be allowed to define themselves as a ''gamer''? Lots of people refer to themselves based on things they're a fan of: metalheads, Little Monsters, geeks, bronies. ''Gamer'' is hardly an anomaly, and this is coming from someone who has no attachment to the label.

FenchurchSt said:
I feel like the gaming community used to be so positive and now I can't say anything without someone assuming something about me or watching people take sides over stupid things.
I don't know. I've been frequenting gaming forums for well over 10 years and found it every bit as unpleasant back then. For example: talking about how much I loved The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would earn sneering dismissal from devoted Link to the Past fans; and you can bet that any fan of Final Fantasy VII will have had a ''Lemme guess, it was your first RPG'' accusation flung at them.

So yeah, I don't understand what some people are on about when they say Gamergate ''gave the community a bad name''. It's always been unpleasant, long before Gamer Gate, long before Anita Sarkeesian and long before Jack Thompson even.
I understand what you mean, but at the same time, I found it easier to open the channel of discussion back when people would only assume I was ugly as opposed to some sort of feminist conspirator or something just for being a girl. People have become so incensed lately I just want to hide from the community. This goes far beyond shaming people's taste in games (I know snootiness has always been around) but active hatred is by far another thing entirely.

Jaytr13

Apr 17, 2014
Belaam said:
Jaytr13 said:
1$ is the US equivalent, love. ... But this isn't about the financial situation, because I just told you how much they get paid.
$1 USD in the US is not equal to $1 USD in the UK is not equal to $1 USD in Mexico is not equal to $1 USD in India. Heck, even within the U.S., $1 will get you vastly different amounts of food in Alaska or California. You've given me a context free number. After doing your research for you, it looks like a loaf of bread in Mauritius goes for $0.43 USD. So about 30 minutes of work for a loaf of bread. There's currently a push in some US states to raise the minimum wage to $10 and hour. A basic loaf of bread will be around $2. So that's 15 minutes of work for the same amount/type of food. Not great, but far better than most of humanity, sadly.
So, you don't believe in feminist issues such as the "gender pay gap" in workplace discrimination because of a supposed male dominated patriarchy?

Jaytr13 said:
As a feminist, how do you feel about the fact that these women are living in poor living conditions and being paid extremely poor wages? that is not equal rights.
Belaam said:
As a feminist, you haven't shown me that there's inequality between the sexes, so I have no opinion on it as a feminist problem as you haven't demonstrated there to be one. As a Marxist, I think global financial inequality is a big problem.
Well, I don't know if you realized but Marxism and feminism already go hand-in-hand here. It's called Marxist Feminism, and it is focused on how women are supposedly oppressed through capitalism and other such things. It's kind of redundant to refer to yourself as two separate things that correlate with each other.

What merits you to believe, in general that there is no female discrimination i Mauritius just because I haven't told you? this is the first story I've ever heard come out of a place I haven't even know about until now. I don't follow feminism, you do. I'm just debating it.

Belaam said:
Ah. Okay. I feel like it was used as a political gotcha and to catch headlines. Most clothing in developed countries is made in less developed countries by workers who are paid the bare minimum to ensure they show up for work the next day.
Really? I thought people were paid less in poor third world countries because they're first world countries like America's cheap labor solution and they're willing to work for less because of whatever reason or cause in that country that would allow it.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Belaam said:
Ah. Okay. I feel like it was used as a political gotcha and to catch headlines. Most clothing in developed countries is made in less developed countries by workers who are paid the bare minimum to ensure they show up for work the next day. Again though, this is a Marxist issue, not a Feminist issue. If men are being paid $2 an hour to make these clothes and women are being paid $1 an hour to make these clothes, THEN it becomes a feminist issue. But you're simply not giving me enough details to determine if this is a feminist issue.
It is a feminist issue. Even in Western countries that strive to be egalitarian, there is still a sizable wage gap between men and women and this doesn't disappear in disadvantaged economies. In this instance, Marxism and feminism might overlap (Marxist feminism), since one of the main reasons for the wage gap purportedly involves women choosing low-paid jobs. But then the question remains: why does society value that type of work at a lower salary? Marxist feminism gives the answer that a patriarchal society organizes socioeconomic class structures along gender lines.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Unrelated, but one thing that's been annoying me lately is how the anti-Anita crowd have been saying that her not "being able to name three games" on Colbert was some kind of smoking gun. I've been seeing it come up a lot with Thunderf00t's fans and it strikes me as a really weak way of saying "she doesn't know games" even though it doesn't really prove anything at all.

It kind of strikes me as similar to those creationists who jumped on the 11-second pause in a Richard Dawkins. It's grasping at straws hoping that it'll actually mean something.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Silvanus said:
A correlation as simple as that is unlikely to be particularly meaningful. There are a million other factors, including all other (quite probably more influential) forms of media.
Which again, begs the question: What kind of evidence does one have that any effect at all is happening?

Silvanus said:
Even so, an improvement does not mean everything is okay. It means it's better than it was. And since it was utterly shite before, that's not necessarily saying much.
Silvanus said:
Tell me what my belief is. I imagine it isn't actually my belief.
Neither of this have anything to do with what I said.

Silvanus said:
It's not their argument as it presents itself. It is being misrepresented, sometimes unintentionally, sometimes, I suspect, intentionally.
"Nuh-huh!" is a poor counter. Please present both of their arguments for a compare and contrast.

Silvanus said:
Nor is the media necessarily insignificant.
It kinda is.

Look, Smurfs didn't create Communists. Dungeons & Dragons didn't create a group of easily lead automatons. We don't blame A Catcher in the Rye for murders.

EVERY piece of media goes through this: Someone finds some hot button issue, finds some tenuous connection to current extra popular media and blame it on it while declaring themselves somehow immune to its magical, civilization destroying powers. Then arguing goes round and round. Sometimes we get self censorship, sometimes we get government censorship, sometimes we just keep on arguing but sooner or later it ends with a bunch of us just looking back going "wow, were they silly back then!"

Silvanus said:
Considering most of her threats are deleted first, then screen shots handed, by her, to the media... Not that different. Check out the first wave of articles if you doubt me.

Of course, Vonderharr's harassment was on TWITER. Very public. I don't blame you for forgetting him though... Not a whole lot of report on it.

Silvanus said:
It's not like the men didn't get anything sexual tossed at them either, just different nature.

Look, these people are out to hurt. They aim it towards whatever seems to hurt that person most. Thompson gets insulted with age, lack of virility, useless career. Vonderharr gets it about his spouse and child. Sarkeesian, as a feminist, gets it over gender issues.

Most of this isn't about what they hate. It's about what's going to hurt the target.

Farther than stars said:
So you see, net advantage would not necessarily entail the non-existence of a negative relation between video games and gender equality (at least not in a meaningful, numerically scientific way).
But if as negative exposure increases, negative results DECREASES, it shows that any effect, if real, is negligible. Perhaps existent, but small enough as to not matter.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
itsmeyouidiot said:
Unrelated, but one thing that's been annoying me lately is how the anti-Anita crowd have been saying that her not "being able to name three games" on Colbert was some kind of smoking gun. I've been seeing it come up a lot with Thunderf00t's fans and it strikes me as a really weak way of saying "she doesn't know games" even though it doesn't really prove anything at all.

It kind of strikes me as similar to those creationists who jumped on the 11-second pause in a Richard Dawkins. It's grasping at straws hoping that it'll actually mean something.
I think at this point anything Anita does is going to be co-opted by her supporters and her detractors pretty equally at this point. I have also heard this point used to champion her as being above this sort of question for not "demeaning the problem to some trivial list."

Her detractors have used gone through some effort to discredit her in regards to her as a gamer, to try and show her to be an outsider who had already passed judgement on the culture and the industry before she ever entered it. In this case their "smoking gun was her pretty much a video of her speaking in front of a classroom uttering something like, "I don't really play video games but you can see [XYZ...]."

In all honesty I would be much more interested to see Anita name 3 games that are not negative under her definition. But that's probably would be pointless at this stage. I think the politicization of Games in this case has reached a point of no return where now battle lines are drawn and regardless of the validity of points prejudices will remain and every thing anyone says on the subject will be cherry picked misconstrued and molested in various ways to suit either sides narrative.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Well said, Bob.
(not that you'd read down to comment 460 with all the mess that people have thrown up on this video)

Jack Thompson was a political hack and he's been successfully banished.

Calling someone a SJW is just the next iteration of the tired (but yet partially successful) ploy to to one's "opponents" into caricatures and then tear them down, ala "feminazi" (Rush Limbaugh) and the vilification of words like "liberal" and "progressive".

Note - I'm not singling out conservative leaners, that's just all that comes to mind at 5AM before my flight while I sit in an airport...

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
The Deadpool said:
I'm confused. Are you saying we don't have pre existing violence tendencies from the past eons, or that Anita's argument doesn't draw a causality line between the media we digest and our treatment of women.
We do have pre-existing violent tendencies, and most of them are tied into our cultural preconceptions of manhood and masculinity. It is "manly" to be physically strong or to engage in fights for example.

And no, Anita does not draw a causality line between media consumption and our treatment women. She draws up the RELATIONSHIP between the two by pointing out how preexisting trends create stereotypes and how these stereotypes then feed the trends that spawned them. She is arguing that these stereotypes CONTINUE negative trends and thinking in real life, not that they CAUSE them. The diference between those two things CANNOT be overstated.

The Deadpool said:
Make me think about something and making me act immorally are two widely different things. Or do you blame Sallinger for every murder when the culprit is found with The Catcher In The Rye in his hands? Are we still blaming the Quran for terrorist acts?

Or is literature no longer "high art" because it doesn't make me think about things?
This is an irrelevant rhetoric because Saarkeesian has never blamed any specific game for the violent or sexist acts committed by anyone. She is only arguing that games (just like any media) can affect the ways people think (which is true for all art) and are therefore subject to criticism when the ideas presented within them are harmful or otherwise questionable. I am not BLAMING any work of literature for something it's fan base does just because I say that I think it's ideas are bad. This is something that gamers DESPERATELY need to learn. No one is calling anyone a misogynist because they like to play game with sexist subtexts, and no one blames the game when the one playing it does something genuinely sexist like threatening a female media-critic with rape. It DOES however prove the point said critic was making about sexist trends being very prominent in the gaming community, which is where the tropes that she criticizes comes from.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Silverspetz said:
We do have pre-existing violent tendencies, and most of them are tied into our cultural preconceptions of manhood and masculinity. It is "manly" to be physically strong or to engage in fights for example.
Right, sure. Violence is about men. School shootings are caused by the patriarchy. Women lean toward pacifism. This is true of the the average masses, just not the super enlightened, extra special men who make the argument...

Silverspetz said:
And no, Anita does not draw a causality line between media consumption and our treatment women. She draws up the RELATIONSHIP between the two by pointing out how preexisting trends create stereotypes and how these stereotypes then feed the trends that spawned them. She is arguing that these stereotypes CONTINUE negative trends and thinking in real life, not that they CAUSE them.
So when she says "helps normalize" it has nothing to do with causality at all.

And while she is totally right, it doesn't help enough to offset the fact that the negative trends ARE GOING DOWN ANYWAYS.

So, AGAIN, I ask: Where's the proof?

You keep focusing on this DIRECT causality issue and forgetting an important part of the equation: IT IS GETTING BETTER.

So let us grant you the premise: Preconceived notions (defined by society) make people create media that reinforce these notions. People then consume this media which totally does not cause just reinforces the same preconceived notions.

This is a force feedback loop. The two should be growing, ever stronger, the more and more media we consume... Except, it doesn't. Those preconceived notions are going DOWN, (sadly) slowly but (thankfully) surely.

Since the change isn't coming from the media (according to Sarkeesian) and society is ruled by the Patriarchy that systematically oppress women in every facet of their lives (according to Sarkeesian)... WHAT'S STOPPING IT?

And if the effect of media on the mass unconscious isn't making things worse (and that's evidenced pretty easily) how do you know there's an effect AT ALL?!?

Silverspetz said:
It DOES however prove the point said critic was making about sexist trends being very prominent in the gaming community, which is where the tropes that she criticizes comes from.
So, to recap, games totally do NOT have a causality effect on the audience for sexist trends BUT the group of people who play games are more sexist than average?

Btw, weird as it sounds, the existence of threats against her do NOT prove the source of the threat is sexist. Awful human being, yes. Sexist? Not necessarily.

crimson83

Jun 21, 2011
So what I gathered from that is it's perfectly ok for Anita to voice her opinion on games and geek culture (all without knowing anything about it given how off her arguments are) but it's wrong for people to voice they're opinion on her and her work (all with well researched evidence of her work...at least for the most part anyway). Her "games make people sexist" argument isn't that much different from Thompsons "they make people violent" argument. Just because you want to trust her doesn't mean all of us have to. There are numerous games and numerous genres and sub-genres of games. Yet she focuses on AAA games to prove her point. Look for a problem and you'll find one. When is she going to look for a solution? Maybe fund that game idea she pitched? Nah, that costs money. We're in the business of making money and getting free publicity on news outlets. Why make a cure when u can keep people sick and give them medicine they're whole life...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Deadpool said:
Which again, begs the question: What kind of evidence does one have that any effect at all is happening?
Here [http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2008-04614-005] are [http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/107/1/54.short] some [http://dro.deakin.edu.au/view/DU:30001199] studies [http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00224490209552118#.VFuA-PRdV2E] on [http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1010397809136#page-1] media [http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/733627/] influencing [http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/dev/42/5/929/] outlooks [http://scx.sagepub.com/content/29/1/35.short] and [http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10640269708249203#.VFuBrfRdV2E] attitudes [http://jmq.sagepub.com/content/79/2/427.short].

The Deadpool said:
Neither of this have anything to do with what I said.
You said, "[...]YOUR argument as YOU put for-- Well, you haven't put it forth, just believed it in your head". So, yes, my asking what you believe my position is has a lot to do with that.

The Deadpool said:
"Nuh-huh!" is a poor counter. Please present both of their arguments for a compare and contrast.
Oh, for goodness' sake. Feminist Frequency [http://www.feministfrequency.com/] and Jack Thompson [http://www.jackthompson.org/thompsons_words/]. Anita Sarkeesian has never called for censorship. She has criticised negative portrayals, she has claimed that video games influence attitudes and behaviours, she has used sometimes specious reasoning. She has not called for censorship.

Yours is the positive claim, by the way. The onus is on you to support it.

The Deadpool said:
It kinda is.

Look, Smurfs didn't create Communists. Dungeons & Dragons didn't create a group of easily lead automatons. We don't blame A Catcher in the Rye for murders.

EVERY piece of media goes through this: Someone finds some hot button issue, finds some tenuous connection to current extra popular media and blame it on it while declaring themselves somehow immune to its magical, civilization destroying powers. Then arguing goes round and round. Sometimes we get self censorship, sometimes we get government censorship, sometimes we just keep on arguing but sooner or later it ends with a bunch of us just looking back going "wow, were they silly back then!"
I have already addressed, over and over again, that influence is not the same thing as causation.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The Deadpool said:
Lightknight said:
I think the thing most people have issues with is her damsel argument. Her women as non-important background or sex toys is generally seen more favorably.
Yes and no. She certainly has stronger ground here, but her lack of experience in gaming shows.

She continually compares NPCs to PCs and finds them wanting. A large portion of her background video "problems" with how these women are treated are a function of them being NPCs and not WOMEN.

Remember, the problem shouldn't be women being treated poorly, it should be women being treated DIFFERENTLY.
Oh, sure, not much disagreement from me. But what I said is that her other points are seen more favorably. Not that they're agreed with, just that they're more legitimate points for her to make.

They also delve into an area of moral subjectivity. That depicting scantily clad women is a bad thing and that depicting appropriately dressed women is a good thing. So it successfully gets away from needing facts to prove its relevance. That makes people be able to say, "Ok, you believe that and that's your prerogative, but that's not what I believe" or to criticize specific elements like you are doing here without outright dismissing her.

daibakuha said:
The problem comes from the fact that not only does it reinforce that women are objects to be used as goals for male players
Objects to be used as goals? Yeah, it reinforced the idea that people who are in distress are worth saving. Games have goals. If there's no conflict then there's no story. So why would saving a woman's life not be a legitimate form of conflict?

but that they lack any form of agency themselves.
If they could save themselves, then there would be no conflict in the story. The entire point of a damsel in distress is that someone, the villain, has kidnapped a person and has taken away their agency in doing so. I would even say that the villain is actively objectifying the kidnapped individual. So your goal as the hero is to go and give the victim back their dignity and agency.

I would argue that damsel tropes do the opposite of what Anita claims. They teach us that people who would objectify and remove agency from individuals are the villains and should be stopped if we have the means to do so. The central component being that innocent people have a right to liberty and being treated as people with those liberties.

That's a very positive lesson to be taught.

Another comment-er pointed this out, but we live in an age where physical power matters very little in day to day life, so the differences should be moot.
Games aren't about day to day lives. Games are about the days where something extraordinary happens and we have to respond. Now, sometimes you might be fortunate enough to have a gun on you if the situation calls for it, but from what I understand that's a real rarity. So most times these things require physical force. Rape and domestic abuse is absolutely a problem and it disproportionately impacts females because of the power disparity. We live in a world where physical power isn't necessary for a lot of our jobs or regular work, but the disparity of power is always there, lurking in the shadows.

So yes there are differences between men and women, but they shouldn't matter, especially in games where they exaggerate physical prowess to sometimes extreme levels. Lara Croft in the new tomb raider didn't beat all those dudes on that island with sheer physical force, she outsmarted, out maneuvered and out-skilled them all. Come to think of it, it's the exact same way Nathan Drake manages to beat people who are way stronger than himself too.
Ok, so you just listed two protagonists. One male, one female. Protagonists ARE the ones that are supposed to have agency. You'll notice that all the people Lara Croft saved had no agency and needed her just as much as anyone Nathan saved.

It's like people forget that for it to matter for the hero to save people, they actually have to be needed. The 'no one but you can or will do it' is core to story telling. If anyone could do it, if your actions don't matter, then who cares?
Silvanus said:
Lightknight said:
The way media influences people is usually to play on existing behaviors. People are usually talking about ads, for example. So if you want to try a new soda, Coca-cola will inform you about a product that caters to your need (or that they claim caters to it).

What people do not mean is that media necessarily makes you sexist or violent. We can tell the difference between reality or fantasy as long as we're not schizophrenic. So I would never once have considered it legitimate to take the lessons on femininity that Princess Peach taught me (which is nothing, FYI, she did not teach me anything at all) and apply them to real life because even as a kid I understood that she was a character.

So, you've got some steep evidence to amass here that Jack Thompson tried and failed to get.
I'd agree with you that media is (far) more likely to reinforce existing behaviour than to create entirely new behaviour, by the way. That's a fairly significant influence. If somebody is already a fairly anti-establishment individual, for example-- suspicious of surveillance, or tyranny-- then reading Nineteen Eighty-Four may well reinforce that outlook. If somebody is already slightly misogynistic, then reading about heroic, suave James Bond treating women as conquests may well reinforce that outlook, too.
Reinforce means to strengthen. It is not different from saying it makes people more X. I disagree, what I was saying is that they use and manipulate existing desires. Not that they make those desires stronger or lesser. If a person is thirsty and likes sugar water then a coke commercial will remind them that they're thirsty and will provide a solution for the problem of them not having sugar water. It doesn't make them more thirsty. It simply points out the existing desire and manipulates it.

I refer to literature, because the idea that literature influences peoples' outlook is pretty widely recognised, I would have thought.
Literature can broaden horizons, give you more perspectives. People do think about what they consume but on a more philosophical level. They aren't tricked into being more sexist or being less sexist by something they hear. They evaluate the information they're given and decide whether it is accurate or not and whether or not they want to accept it.

So, yeah, media can provide the means to influence but it isn't subversive. It presents concepts you may have never thought of before and that creates a change or not change moment in your ideologies once presented. But once decided, seeing the same concept done again shouldn't create that moment again. New information or new perspectives may.

What's more is that fiction is received differently than philosophical literature. We understand that it's fiction and can tell the difference between that and reality. Peter Pan didn't change my ideology. Mario didn't change my ideology. An actual point has to be made. But just that a princess is in trouble? That's not a lesson. That's not making me think that all girls are princesses and are incapable of helping themselves. At most, it's a commentary on how villains kidnap and if you can free someone from wrongful captivity then you should. But generally we read far less into fantasy or fictional writings unless we're made aware of a secret of the works. I mean, would you have been keenly aware of the political implications of Moby Dick had someone not explained them to you or brought them up? A lot of people also make connections that aren't there and end up teaching that an author was making a point that he or she had never intended. Humans like to see patterns, are evolved to see patterns, even if they aren't there because it is more important for us to see patterns that are there than it is for us not to see patterns when they are absent.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
The Deadpool said:
Right, sure. Violence is about men. School shootings are caused by the patriarchy. Women lean toward pacifism. This is true of the the average masses, just not the super enlightened, extra special men who make the argument...
I never said any of those things. Men are not the cause of violence, but the traditional ideas of masculinity that society puts forth are very toxic because they are intrinsically tied to violence. This helps to explain why such a disproportionate number of violent acts are committed by men.

The Deadpool said:
So when she says "helps normalize" it has nothing to do with causality at all.
No, it doesn't. Tropes "helps to normalize" sexism against women because it helps to keep the negative stereotypes alive in the collective unconsciousness, not because it CAUSES sexism.

The Deadpool said:
And while she is totally right, it doesn't help enough to offset the fact that the negative trends ARE GOING DOWN ANYWAYS.
Um...what? Why would the fact that negative trends are going down have anything to do with her argument? They still exist, and the tropes she criticizes are part of why the trends haven't disappeared completely yet. Which is why it is definitely a good thing to talk about it.

The Deadpool said:
You keep focusing on this DIRECT causality issue and forgetting an important part of the equation: IT IS GETTING BETTER.
Actually no one is saying that there is a direct causality, that I just misquotation. And I think it is you who keep forgetting an important part of the equation, that being WHY things are getting better.

The Deadpool said:
So let us grant you the premise: Preconceived notions (defined by society) make people create media that reinforce these notions. People then consume this media which totally does not cause just reinforces the same preconceived notions.

This is a force feedback loop. The two should be growing, ever stronger, the more and more media we consume... Except, it doesn't. Those preconceived notions are going DOWN, (sadly) slowly but (thankfully) surely.

Since the change isn't coming from the media (according to Sarkeesian) and society is ruled by the Patriarchy that systematically oppress women in every facet of their lives (according to Sarkeesian)... WHAT'S STOPPING IT?

And if the effect of media on the mass unconscious isn't making things worse (and that's evidenced pretty easily) how do you know there's an effect AT ALL?!?
The reason things are getting better is because of criticism and how it has made media better over the years. Over the last few decades we have increased or media-consumption enormously, and we also saw the rise of movements to shape the media away from many of the preconceived notions of the past. The civil-rights movement, feminism, LGBQT-rights all started to pop up and CRITICIZE existing media which helped filmmakers and writers to create more diverse media which in turn helped to REVERSE the negative feedback loop we were stuck with.

Saarkeesian has never said that change isn't coming from the media, only that there still are things that needs changing. You look at the improving trends and think they mean that there isn't a problem since things would be getting WORSE overall if there was. The reality is that things have improved greatly because of critics, but some tropes and trends are more ingrained than others and far harder to get rid of, which shows itself through disproportionate representation. Now feminist critics are turning their eyes to these persistent tropes to get better representation but apparently that is just one step too much for some people. We have made things better, but there is still work to be done.

The Deadpool said:
So, to recap, games totally do NOT have a causality effect on the audience for sexist trends BUT the group of people who play games are more sexist than average?

Btw, weird as it sounds, the existence of threats against her do NOT prove the source of the threat is sexist. Awful human being, yes. Sexist? Not necessarily.
First paragraph: Basically yes, It seems these trends have converged in this community more than others, probably because it has been such a closed and homogenous group for so long.

Second paragraph: When the threats are so clearly gendered like the ones thrown at Quinn and Saarkeesian, they ARE pretty damn sexist too.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Lightknight said:
Objects to be used as goals? Yeah, it reinforced the idea that people who are in distress are worth saving. Games have goals. If there's no conflict then there's no story. So why would saving a woman's life not be a legitimate form of conflict?
Because it reinforces the fact that she's an object to be won from beating the game. The person you rescue isn't a character, she's a trophy.

Lightknight said:
I would argue that damsel tropes do the opposite of what Anita claims. They teach us that people who would objectify and remove agency from individuals are the villains and should be stopped if we have the means to do so. The central component being that innocent people have a right to liberty and being treated as people with those liberties.

That's a very positive lesson to be taught.
The problem comes from the context the story gives these characters. They aren't characters at all. Like I said before, they're a reward, a trophy. Removing agency from someone is a good way for a bad to illustrate he's a bad guy, but the writers do the exact same thing by removing the character from narrative entirely.

Lightknight said:
Games aren't about day to day lives. Games are about the days where something extraordinary happens and we have to respond. Now, sometimes you might be fortunate enough to have a gun on you if the situation calls for it, but from what I understand that's a real rarity. So most times these things require physical force.
But as I just pointed out with examples I used at the end, they don't always require physical force. Lara Croft doesn't fist fight a bunch of dudes in that game. Nathan Drake rarely goes bare-knuckle as well, wanna know why? Because they'd both get overpowered by the sheer number of enemies and their enemies are much strong than they are physically.

Lightknight said:
Rape and domestic abuse is absolutely a problem and it disproportionately impacts females because of the power disparity. We live in a world where physical power isn't necessary for a lot of our jobs or regular work, but the disparity of power is always there, lurking in the shadows.
I have no idea what this tangent is about, but weapons like a pistol, pepper spray, a taser and even a whistle are effective countermeasures against would be physical attacks.

Lightknight said:
Ok, so you just listed two protagonists. One male, one female. Protagonists ARE the ones that are supposed to have agency. You'll notice that all the people Lara Croft saved had no agency and needed her just as much as anyone Nathan saved.

It's like people forget that for it to matter for the hero to save people, they actually have to be needed. The 'no one but you can or will do it' is core to story telling. If anyone could do it, if your actions don't matter, then who cares?
But for the most part, they do have agency. Lara Croft doesn't rescue all of her friends on the island, she finds some and rescues 1. I think you have both a very narrow definition of what a protagonist is, and what conflict should be in a story. There are ways to tell even a straight hero story without removing female agency or anyone's agency really.

altdoom

Sep 13, 2011
He never effected my gaming so I never gave him much thought. He just seems like any other political puppet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Silvanus said:
Oh, for goodness' sake. Feminist Frequency [http://www.feministfrequency.com/] and Jack Thompson [http://www.jackthompson.org/thompsons_words/]. Anita Sarkeesian has never called for censorship. She has criticised negative portrayals, she has claimed that video games influence attitudes and behaviours, she has used sometimes specious reasoning. She has not called for censorship.
To that end, it's worth noting that the one got pretty much a universally negative response from the media in question, whereas the other has actually had their criticism (not demands or lawsuits or threats, just criticism) responded to, acknowledged, even positively received. And while it's not direct evidence that Anita's not a threat, one does have to wonder why the industry itself isn't circling the wagons.