The Big Picture: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
No Bob, a Futurama/Simpsons crossover is not good. They'd probably make Bender lead a Katy Perry lipdub or some shit.
No Bob, Wonder Woman is not more important than the Flash.
No Bob, LoZ does not deserve a movie before WoW. I don't even see how that would work without making Link talk.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Two thoughts:

One, It's cool that Ultron is gonna be kicking around in the movies even if we were expecting Thanos, apparently they'll cut out Ant-Man/Giant Man/Hank Pym's involvement, which as a fan of the character, sucks for me. I wonder if they're gonna have Ultron be created by Iron Man, I hope not though, because the movies and resultant media are already a bit Iron Man centric as it is.

Two, is Robocop's right hand intact? Why? It's been a while since I've seen if, but wasn't one of the big indications that the corporate guys were amoral when they decided that even though they could have saved Murphy's hand they chose not to because it wasn't efficient? I seem to remember that being a thing. Moreover, what possible justification is there for given your unstoppable cyborg cop a single frail, human hand?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Nghtgnt said:
Dear Everyone,

If you are going to pre-judge the Robocop film, instead of basing your opinions on how Robocop looks you might want to do some background research on the director, Jose Padilha, and more specifically actually go out and find a subtitled version of Tropa de Elite [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/?ref_=sr_1] (Elite Squad). If ever there was a right person to helm a remake of this franchise, Padilha is it.

I'm disappointed in you Bob.
Robocop's image is EVERYTHING. If he looks like batman in power armor it's a BAD thing, and the movie will be bad because of it. He'll probably be as fast as some ninja instead of the slow powerhouse which would be ignoring the whole point.

look at this nonsense! Look at iiiit!

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Futurama is a great show, and that's what I want to remember it as. Not as a show that went on X seasons too long, stopped being funny and just became a bunch of dumb meta humor with occasional moments. Even some of the newest episodes seems sort of meh compared to the old stuff. So I for one welcome its demise as ending while it's still better than most shows.

I don't even care about western comics or comic movies that much, and edging Wonder Woman out of the Justice League, at least for now, seems sort of insulting. I mean sure, Wonder Woman might not be the best DC or female character, but it's pretty important to have her in anything resembling the Justice League. The Flash simply isn't a replacement for that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Not even RoboCop can save Detroit now.
You say that as though it could have been saved in the first place.

I didn't go to the convention, but for me the highlight was Loki appearing and calling the guy at the Marvel podium a mewling quim. :3

Doki

Apr 7, 2012
Tenmar said:
I have to take partial exception with The Flash. Bob, you are right when it comes to the trinity it is WW, Superman and Batman. But while I'm not the comic book reader I have enjoyed the animated series and the last Animated series of Justice League of the 2000's really did a bang up job of establishing The Flash as a character that really shows both sides of having super powers but also being human.

I mean that was probably one of the big shockers from the Animated series was how much of a catalyst they made The Flash and even when they had some episodes where he was the main star those were the episodes that while not having the most flash but certainly had the most depth.

Also in consideration to the whole Wonder Woman thing. Anyone remember the Wonder Woman TV series that was in production but canned? Maybe that's one big reason why because writing a Wonder Woman movie still might be out of the realm of the current writers and directors.
Bear with me a second.

Considering the info in Wonder Woman above (plus how hard it would be to get the tone and character right, and considering how bland-ish the Flash character appears to be to mainstream (sorry, its true), WBs third DC movie really should have been...

SHAZAM!

I'm serious.

(and yes, its officially Shazam now, vice Captain Marvel)

Think about it for a second. 8 or 10 year old kid, get the powers and appearance of essentially Superman. When he's Shazam, people look up to him and treat him with respect and wonder, yet, he's still basically a kid with all the innocence and wide-eyed wonder that goes with it. The potential for both humor and meta-commentary with this character is endless...

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Mr. Q said:
As for the reveal of Ultron being the main baddie for Avengers 2 (Thanos looks to be part of Guardians of the Galaxy), I am deeply surprised by this reveal but rather pissed about it. Mostly because its not going to involve its creator Hank Pym aka Ant Man. I know that he's getting his movie in phase 3 and people are rationalizing that having a biologist who can also create an evil A.I. is a stretch but it still burns my ass that neither Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne are going to be a part of Avengers. Honestly, I'd let X-Men: Days of Futures Part have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I want my Ant Man/Giant Man and Wasp be part of Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the big screen. Is that asking for too much from Marvel?
Pym hasn't been cast or anything yet but I wouldn't count at least him to make an appearance in Avengers 2 since Ultron is kind of his creation. While he won't be getting a stand alone until Phase 3 knowing how Marvel has been doing its setups I wouldn't be surprised for an appearance or mention to Ultron and Pym, probably in Cap 2

And Wonder Woman can easily be done. Hell, Joss Whedon's given them a script in the past and since we've seen how his comic book movie debut with Avengers turned out... really DC? Skip the jet and just go with Flight, Strength, Bracers (bullet-proof metal is easy to pass off), Speed, and yeah so, the Lasso of Truth is magical, you're making a movie about a guy who can run really fast and Green Lantern's ring isn't much beyond magic itself so you're running out of excuses. There are also good actresses who can play the part, you don't need Oscar-winning actresses, just one who looks like she could actually kick your ass with a good acting capability.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
THAT'S ROBOCOP!?!? THAT...THAT...THING IS ROBOCOP!?!?

That is NOT Robocop. That's Judge Dredd 2099!

That be like putting Superman in a green outfit with no S symbol...or Batman wearing Robin colors...the identity is gone.

The ironic thing...I was just talking to my wife the other day about how there hasn't been a Robocop reboot yet. I regret ever saying that now.

The Robocop from the original movies was BADASS. All you had to do was take that, put it in the 21st century with 21st century CGI...and the movie would have been BADASS. How do these studios keep fumbling these movies? Robocop is a half-human cyborg...i.e. no real emotions, no real character arc. He's essentially Darth Vader on the good side (more machine than man). Just put him in a movie kicking bad guy ass and bad ass ways and we have a movie...and keep the original Robocop you morons!

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
So a PG-13 Robocop with no trace of Frank Miller leaves me highly skeptical at best, especially in light of the Dredd and Total Recall reboots we recently saw.

I am glad that the Futurama franchise will survive in some form, but the fact that it managed to get killed twice is a travesty. The show was as funny as The Simpsons used to be and as edgy as Family Guy tries to be; for me, the pinnacle of prime-time animation.

I am a bit puzzled that they made such a point of teasing Thanos at the end of the first Avengers film and then not build a story around him for the second film. Granted, horror of horrors, I have not seen Iron Man 3 yet, and none of us have seen the new Thor or Cap, so we can only guess at what pieces they'll be plugging in to set up the team story, like they did with the Tesseract last time. If it's not Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, I'm at a loss until I see what the solo movies shape up to be.

I was surprised at no apparent mention of the Fantastic Four reboot, especially with Josh "Chronicle" Trank in the director's chair. But I imagine Fox is preferring to focus on promoting the X-Men material right now, and with no casting to announce, and Michael Chiklis unlikely to reprise his role as Ben Grimm, upon reflection I guess there's not much to be interested in anyway.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I was at CC this year, and i hit none of these panels... so thanks for the summary. Im gonna go back to wondering why there were not more people at the Paul Dini spotlight

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
Ya know why the original Robocop looked great, other than it was designed by Rob Bottin? Robocop's armor plating is a cobalt-titanium alloy. The cobalt gives it a blue hue. Police officers generally wear blue uniforms. It was a perfect union of form and function.

Dec 16, 2009
so looks like Tjhanos is going to ;
a) get a big build up trhu many marvel movies, starting with GotG, culminating in a massive showdown in Avengers 3
or
b) just going to be GotG antagoinist

hoping for option a

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Riobux said:
Doesn't have to be fans of the comic to be a comic book fan, and market it like a Dreamworks film? Well, go trailer watching. I'll wait.
I've seen a Dreamworks trailer before, which is why your comment is utterly ridiculous. There's literally nothing noteworthy about any of their trailers.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
Nghtgnt said:
If you are going to pre-judge the Robocop film, instead of basing your opinions on how Robocop looks you might want to do some background research on the director, Jose Padilha, and more specifically actually go out and find a subtitled version of Tropa de Elite [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/?ref_=sr_1] (Elite Squad). If ever there was a right person to helm a remake of this franchise, Padilha is it.
Looks are one thing, but coupled with it being PG-13 does not bode well.

You could have the best director in the world, but if they are hamstrung by a studio demanding mega profit using maximum demographic appeal, there isn't much they can do.