The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2014: Dragon Wars: D-War

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I had a lot of fun with this movie, even if it is every bit as stupid as it sounds. I was hyped to watch it, being that I love South Korean film, dragons and schlock. The whole beginning of the movie was just dumb as all hell, but it really does pick up and go places I just knew it wouldn't. It's on my "watch when needing to see something dumb," list.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
saw the dvd of it several times in stores but didnt get it since it looked really cheap and sounded ridicules. unless a store opens up in my area that rents dvd or i get it really cheap, i might get it and give it a try.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Wow, I never expected Moviebob to have a movie I'd actually seen in his october line-up. I pretty much have to agree with him on the solid-ten-minutes-of-the-greatest-movie-ever bit. I watched this movie just because it had dragons in it and BOY did it deliver. I'd even go so far as to say I enjoyed the highlights of it more than anything in the bore-fest Reign of Fire.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
This movie was weird, but I do remember laughing my ass off at the end. It was like if the Avengers last fight was on acid.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've never actually managed to sit through this entire film. I think I saw half of it on TV, but got bored when the giant snake started to chase these so called "chosen ones". The old lady and the knight struck by car scenes definitely got a chuckle out of me :p

The battle scenes however... GOOD LORD!, I guess I missed the best parts of the film :/

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I struggle, to this day, to maintain any coherent understanding of the plot to this...korean experience. Though that may well be due to necessary levels of intoxication i must reach, to attain full desire to put the film on.
And yes...that old woman scene...never forgotten! ;)

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Wow, I don't know how long I've been watching Moviebob's videos, but for the first time I've actually seen the really obscure film. I can't actually remember too much about it, other that I didn't like it. I think I was distracted from the cool action stuff by not having the slightest clue what the heck was happening plot-wise.

Hindkjaer

Sep 15, 2010
Sorry mr. Robert, but this is very wrong!
There is only one Reptilicus movie! The old Danish-american monster movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt3ZndkibE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilicus

If you havn't seen it, you kinda should.. It is tacky as hell, and even have a song number in the middle with one of our most beloved comedians: Dirch Passer :D

If nothing else, you have something to watch for your own Schlocktober ;)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
TwistedEllipses said:
I've seen a film where there are dinosaur riders and there were bigger, fatter dinosaurs with cannons attached...it was on Naboo in Star Wars episode 1! Simply by mentioning that film, I've made that seem a lot less cool.
Hey that Gungan battle wasn't bad, I mean we got to see a bunch of those sodding Gungans die and had some cool dinosaurs, and the map is pretty sweet on SWBF 1.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I ended up watching this by chance. I can remember being impressed by some of the CGi as it seemed like a low-budget movie and whilst a fair few of the action scenes are really good the rest of the movie is a terrible chore. That main Police dude was just annoying and a terrible actor in my opinion.
Also some of the action scenes are a bit "meh". It's hard to sit through this film, but the good action scenes and CGi do somewhat make up for it. Well at least a little.

captcha "first world"

Funcakes

Jul 17, 2011
Hey, a movie I actually saw. Can't say I share your enthusiasm, Bob. I remember being thoroughly bored through all of that.

FriendlyFyre

Aug 7, 2013
I liked this better when it was called "Boa VS Python" on the SCI-FI channel.

Just kidding.

I was lucky enough to see this in theaters for some reason, and it had a real "Power Rangers" feel to it. The plot was cookie cutter, and the bad guy feels like a leftover from a "3 Ninjas" film.

The thing I really couldn't stand was how bad the lighting was. You can see it when she's talking with the guy, but people's faces are constantly in shadow, and it's impossible to get any gravitas out of it, even though the tone is played seriously.

Also, THAT's where I recognize Aimee Garcia from...

FriendlyFyre

Aug 7, 2013
The_Kodu said:
I do not support the actions of a contributor who says Doxxing and threats are legitimate means of discourse merely because of the belief the other side to be wrong.

Heeyyy, I think I remember you. Weren't you arguing against me about the purpose of games vs creator freedom of something like that in another thread?

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
I always knew it was possible, but i never expected it to happen. You did a Schlocktober episode on a movie that i not only watched in theaters, but own on DVD.

I didn't even know that there was hype about the movie, all i knew is that my GF at the time was an animation major, and this movie promised CGI dragons fighting each other. For me, the culture tie in was just enough to make this bad movie hilarious and fun to watch.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I went to go see this at the cinema in downtown Disney when it came out with my gf. The title alone left us thinking "How can this not be awesome?" while they movie illustrated in every way how it cannot be awesome. We went into the theatre and it seems that the AMC had chosen to play it in the smallest theatre they had. Still when the movie started it seemed that at least half the chairs had people in them. We sat through the movie telling each other that it just had to get better, that it had to be leading up to something awesome. It never happened. By the time the movie ended we were the only 2 people left that had not walked out. A regret I live with to this day.