The Big Picture: Science!

JakDRipa

Mar 26, 2008
I'm planning to just watch the episode, answer what questions I can and post at the end
1. The problem with Jetpacks isn't managing the citizenry, it's fuel consumption. Also, I don't know why you're asking us scientists this, that's an engineering problem

2. Science is actually working on growing meat in labs, the problem is it tastes AWFUL. Also, I don't know who told you we can grow organs and tissue for transplant in labs but that just isn't true.
Why aren't we working on it more? Cancer, mostly cancer.

3. Just not at all a solution:
One, people will ask for proof they found oil on mars
Two, there can't be oil on mars, look up how oil happens
Three, if mining mars was economical, we totally would. See how Mars is red. That's 'cos it's covered with Iron ore that involves extremely expensive shaft mining here on earth. We don't need to lie, asteroid mining and mining Mars would both be awesome. The problem is it costs an awful lot to get into space and most humans can't take the strain of zero gravity anyway.
The reasons we can't get "there" are simple
B. It costs $10 000 per pound to put objects in space
A. Relativity means we will never ever go faster than light. And yes, they did find out what happened with the neutrinos and no, they didn't go faster than light. At this point, I think it might be best to just let Einstein tell it like it is
t'= t/(1-v^2/c^2)^-2

4. Good point

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Jet-packs: Mass production and sale of jet-packs on a scale to replace cars would be fucking retarded. In 2002 there were 6,316,000 car accidents in America alone (http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/stats.html). If you crash while flying in a jet-pack, or any flying car, you'll fall to your death. The fact that people still whine about not having these things tell me that they've done fuck all thinking about them. I can only see jet-packs taking up the role hang gliding or paragliding, and Bob, if you really wanted to fly that much you'd probably be doing these things already.

Cultured Meat: As long as the same social stigma around GM foods exists, cultured meat will never gain any sort of popularity. The move to bullshit organic foods over the past few decades shows that as a whole western society is moving backwards in regards to it's ideas of food sources. The costs of cultured meat also mean that it wont be able to serve people in Third World Nations either, not for a while anyway. Still, if you read the Wikipedia article carefully, you might have noticed that there are plans to start producing cultured meats on a large scale next year. You might also have noticed that PETA has, perhaps strangely, offered a 1 million dollar incentive to anyone who can get cultured meats on the market by 2012.

Oil on Mars: Yeah, you can go fuck yourself. Do you have any idea, any idea how fucking stupid it is that you encourage scientists to collectively lie about the presence of fucking oil on Mars of all goddamn places. Do you even know what oil is? Oil is the fossilized remains of organic material. It is the remains of ancient life. Are you seriously asking people to lie about the discovery of life (or former life) on other planets, just so you can get away from all of those 'douche-bags on Earth'?. What the fuck is wrong with you, that's a horrible thing to do.

Not only do you seem to have no concept of scientific integrity, and the importance of honesty in the scientific and general community, but you seem to not even understand the motivations of oil corporations. Do you think that in the next 100 years corporations will invest in ventures to recover oil from a location that in no way will ever earn them profits, just for the sake of getting oil. You do realise how expensive it is to colonize another planet, right? And even if there actually was oil on Mars, do you think they wont try to figure that out themselves? They would have to actually find where the oil is before they starting extracting it. Hell, do you think that other scientists will just accept that there is oil on Mars without checking out the data for themselves. Do you know what peer reviews are?

Yes, I am well aware that there hypothesis stating that oil can be created without life (although not yet proven), but even then lying about something like that is still fucking disgusting. Lying about anything in a scientific context is fucking disgusting, and the fact that you would support that and place it as a precedent so that you can get what you fucking want paints you as the douche-bag you claim to hate so much. Do you know what happens when scientists lie to further their own agendas, or the agendas of others? People die. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy] I like to think that you just didn't think much before you made this video, because the thought of someone believing what you just said is just too much.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
I admit I've only read the first two pages, but am I the only one that didn't take this episode too seriously? Because I'm seeing allot of rage for something that, to me at least, was meant light-hearted and humerously rather than seriously asking where his jetpack is.

I mean, lie to get into space? Bring oil over on the first few trips? You really took that seriously? Anyone with the slightest idea of how hard it is to get -anything- into space would see that as unfeasable.

Come on guys, give Bob a little credit.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
JakDRipa said:
I'm planning to just watch the episode, answer what questions I can and post at the end
1. The problem with Jetpacks isn't managing the citizenry, it's fuel consumption. Also, I don't know why you're asking us scientists this, that's an engineering problem

2. Science is actually working on growing meat in labs, the problem is it tastes AWFUL. Also, I don't know who told you we can grow organs and tissue for transplant in labs but that just isn't true.
Why aren't we working on it more? Cancer, mostly cancer.

3. Just not at all a solution:
One, people will ask for proof they found oil on mars
Two, there can't be oil on mars, look up how oil happens
Three, if mining mars was economical, we totally would. See how Mars is red. That's 'cos it's covered with Iron ore that involves extremely expensive shaft mining here on earth. We don't need to lie, asteroid mining and mining Mars would both be awesome. The problem is it costs an awful lot to get into space and most humans can't take the strain of zero gravity anyway.
The reasons we can't get "there" are simple
B. It costs $10 000 per pound to put objects in space
A. Relativity means we will never ever go faster than light. And yes, they did find out what happened with the neutrinos and no, they didn't go faster than light. At this point, I think it might be best to just let Einstein tell it like it is
t'= t/(1-v^2/c^2)^-2

4. Good point
--------

If we cant go faster than light then we should become light :D. They use the principle of making electric signals become become airwaves so it gets transmitted in long areas just to reach a receptor that has been previously configured to receive a signal of the same signature

And being of topic here, where can you find the people behind this kind of research:
How about Biological Immortality? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_%28genus%29
The hydra are not only absent of aging, but they can be separated into individual cells and recombine into a working hydra.

or How about the same thing but using Nanotech to treat illness?

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
ITT: People who can't take a fucking joke and just laugh about it. Jesus, some of you nerds need to lighten up. It's obvious he's just fucking around.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
ITT: People who can't take a fucking joke and just laugh about it. Jesus, some of you nerds need to lighten up. It's obvious he's just fucking around.
Them's fighting words!

...Nah, just running with the "can't take a joke" thing.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Here's a counter arguement to the people complaining about scientists not making their dream futures for them.

Shut up.

They're working as hard as they can to fix the problems we half-wits created and refuse to take responsibility for.

You want a jet pack? Lose that hundred pounds without demanding a diet pill to do it for you. You want artificial meat? Stop destroying resource-rich ecosystems that could provide centuries of genetic breakthroughs for cattle space. You want to go to Mars and have sex with green women, create a demand for efficient fuels and donate to STD vaccine research.

Don't point at scientists and tell them to work harder, don't point at Glenn Beck and blame him for holding you back. Man up, do your part, and EARN it.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Lenin211 said:
MB202 said:
Wow... This episode was AWFUL! Bob really came off as a big dick in this episode. I mean, there was some stuff in the middle, but most of it made me want to punch Bob for being so immature about these things.
Perception check failed.

Could you not tell that he was joking?
In all honesty... not at first... I have a difficult time telling if someone's being serious or of they're just messing around. I'm more used to MovieBob's more intellectual and analytical side... Or rather, I PREFER that side of him most of the time, so this kind of threw me off guard, I suppose.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Well Lying got us into the space program in the first place. So I guess lying about black gold on Mars isn't such a hard pull to get us back on track. Hell we need to start colonizing other places so we can start fucking up so bad the only person that can stop it all is the Emperor of Man.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
The reason we don't have cultured meat is the same reason the thought of eating dog or cat makes you nauseous.
What we really should start doing is eating insects, but that might take better marketing than the western world is capable of producing.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
hurricanejbb said:
Well Bob, someone has come up with a jetpack. You just need peroxide and silver to fuel it:
http://www.facebook.com/rocketman

And why go for the green alien chicks when the blue ones are so much hotter? http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4550004198_8da8482dcd_o.jpg
There are various companies that have made them for instance

http://martinjetpack.com/faqs.aspx

all it requires is a gas fill

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Erm, Bob, you do know what'll happen when we claim there is oil on Mars, right?

And there won't be any oil on Mars, unless maybe there actually was life and greenery and stuff there a bajillion years ago. Like a veritable Tatooine...

Oh, and if I've been ninja'd, then well played, sir...

duck-man

Mar 17, 2009
Ok, one argument for killing and eating animals that I'm yet to find a good rebuttal for:
What's better for the cow,
(1) using space and resources to grow cows and then kill and eat them.
(2) using space and resources to grow meat and then eat it/Not eating meat.
One way cows live for a time, the other way they're redundant and so aren't bred by humans for food any more (that particular cow at least will never exist).

Personally,
I'm think (1) is better for the animal (Even if Bad living conditions it's better than nothing!), making (2) more a matter of avoiding responsibility for the killing part (obviously argument more complicated than this, I don't mean to offend anyone!).

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Fun stuff, Bob. Very entertaining. I agree! Darn you science people! I wants mah Jetpack and green alien babes!

... sorry, was I supposed to take it seriously? Then rant about Bob ranting and type out complete explanations about the complexities of these issues, and then start exploring the morality of growing and eating meat?

Oh, well, that just sounds boring, I watch these for fun.

Indignator

Oct 26, 2011
unlimitedwin said:
Djinn8 said:
unlimitedwin said:
Djinn8 said:
There are no man made fusion reactors. Fusion is the process of new element been formed by compressing another until the atomic structure of two atoms are combined into one and the excess is fired out as radiation. Gold for example is the result of iron that has undergone fusion. The end result however is very similer to nucular power, which is based upon the use of elements that have undergone an incomplete fusion and are still expelling their excess atomic contents.
Yep, currently it's all experimental. I guess that could be assumed from how I wrote that though.

They are working on fusion reactors, however and everything actually written in my piece on fusion is true.

Here is the big project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

I'm not sure about creating gold in a fusion reactor though... Anything heavier than iron requires the energy of supernovae (exploding star) to form... sounds dangerous to me :p
Cool. If they can get this working then all they have to do is develop atomic transmutation (splitting of atoms to create multiple, less massive atoms) and we'll have an unlimited, renewable fuel source to power the fussion reactors.

That'll be a real special day for humanity. It really would change everything.
For those who don't get the joke: atomic transmutation = nuclear fission. Nuclear fission reactors do already exist!

Yeah, it'd be pretty sweet Djinn8 :D
Must ... resist ... urge ... to ... correct ...

Resistance failed. Proceeding to correct.

OK, there are two basic types of nuclear reactions, fusion and fission. Fusion is when two atoms fuse to form a heavier atom. As a rule of thumb the lighter the atoms are the more energy is released, which is why hydrogen (lightest of the elements with only one proton) fusion is the most common way to release energy. For example hydrogen bombs are fusion devices. Also, fusion can be achieved in a laboratory easily these days. The problem is that massive amounts of energy are needed in order to generate the conditions under which hydrogen fusion can take place, far more than the energy gained from the fusion.

As I said, as a rule of thumb the lighter the atoms being fused, the more energy is released, and conversely the heavier the atoms the less energy is released. So fusing two helium atoms (atomic number 2) releases less energy than fusing hydrogen, and so on and so forth, until around atomic number 26 which is iron. Then the process is reversed - fusing atoms absorbs energy and energy is released by splitting (fission) an atom into lighter atoms, and the heavier the atoms, the more energy is released (again, this is just a rule of thumb). This is part of the reason why uranium or plutonium (the two heaviest naturally occurring elements found in appreciable amounts on earth) is used in nuclear weapons and nuclear power plants.

Unfortunately it's difficult (probably even impossible) to control into what elements the uranium or plutonium will split into. Often the end result is nasty stuff like caesium-137, a highly radioactive isotope with a long half-life.

However you don't need the energy of a supernova to create elements heavier than iron, though supernovae do come into play in creating heavier elements in appreciable amounts (relatively speaking). Since fusing elements heavier than iron absorbs energy, not much of those elements are created in main sequence stars. Only once a star goes supernova is enough energy released to allow those heavier elements to be created. But in a laboratory you could theoretically fuse heavy elements under the right conditions. Those conditions would have to be the conditions in a supernova, which sounds scary, but then again so does the idea of creating the conditions in a star (which is needed for fusion of hydrogen).

I apologize if I sounded patronizing and lecturing, I just wanted to clear some things up. On the other hand what I wrote would probably give a nuclear physicist an aneurysm.

Triality

May 9, 2011
1)Where are the jet packs? The answer? Automobile mortality rates.

2)Synthesized meat? The answer? It's still cheaper to raise and kill cows than pump expensive protein cocktails through more expensive machines.

3)Space? E=MC2 is a total buzzkill, and space is huge. Travel is boring. Slow. Uneventful. Gene Rodenberry imagined technologies that break the laws of physics. The vacuum of space. We're not going to get to Gene Rodenberry's universe by colonizing Mars or the Moon, but by experimenting on our home planet. Richard Branson and other entrepreneurs are already making headway. In fact colonizing the Moon could be dangerous for the gravitational pull on the tides. Some of the most important scientific discoveries happen outside government funding or institutionalized thinking.

Most recent example? The person that recently discovered the missing mass from the young universe was a 22 year old female physics student Amelia Fraser-McKelvie from Australia that had her discovery vetted by professors and int'l experts after the fact. Pwned.

Even if this was a joke/troll video, it wasn't well thought out.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
MovieBob said:
Science!

Hey, science guys, we need you to answer a few questions.

Watch Video
Okay; one by one:

Jetpack:

Pobably as good as you're going to get in earth's gravity Bob. Sorry.

Cultured meat:

Cultured meat is currently prohibitively expensive, but it is anticipated that the cost could be reduced to about twice that of conventionally produced meat.

Hmm only twice as expensive as raising cattle for something that is currently only worth putting into sausages and hamburgers. :S

The economics involved suggest that cultured meat will only be commercially viable when grain becomes prohibitively expensive to feed to feed to animals. When that happens I think well have hunger problems more important than where your next steak is coming from.

These will probably be solved by some sort of algal/krill farming. Crab sticks anyone?

Space:

Okay good suggestion. Though I hesitate as to whether I want oil republicans in space. It is possible that there are fossil fuels on Mars as a result of possible life on Mars in previous geological ages.

The reasons against doing this are going to be again. Prohibitive expense. Especially when you compare it to offshore drilling/fracking/tar sands.

And if we get to Mars to exploit this hypothetical oil then it is far more likely to be used to produce value added plastics or other petroleum derivatives on Mars surface than to be expensively shipped out of the Martian Gravity well to earth.

A more likely location for off world mining is the moon probably in search of rare earths, noble metals and other high value ore.

Breeding bears:

If you want to go corral a bunch of bears and breed them over their 4 year breeding cycle go nuts; I'll read about you being eaten on the news. Simple answer too much labour for too little utility.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I found it quite hilarious when Bob said he would totally keep "his jetpack" a secret if he was given one. I imagine he would be able to keep it a secret....for about five seconds (which is about the same as anybody given a motherfucking jet pack). I also have to confess I got a tiny guilty chuckle out of imagining somebody of Bob's...erm...physique....flying around with a jetpack on his back.

As for Bob wondering why animal rights activists aren't campaigning for cultured meat....really? He's wondering why a group of people populated by a considerable number of misinformed, irrational and sometimes balls-out crazy fucksticks isn't doing something logical and intelligent???

And finally, fuck the assholes who decided to breed tiny dogs. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs...of most sizes. It's the extremes I have trouble with. Extremely large dogs (e.g. Great Danes) tend to make me nervous and tiny dogs usually annoy the piss out of me.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I think I speak for everyone (except the vegans) when I say, I would love to be flying around Mars on my jetpack while eating a cultured meat hamburger, with my hambear companion sitting on my shoulder squeak-roaring in delight.