The Big Picture: Secrets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
That or they could have pulled another Nick Fury and turned a white super hero black. :p

But yeah! Probably Luke Cage.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Luke Cage was my first thought when I saw him in the trailer.

I'm really interested in seeing which characters they bring into this show, it should be interesting. Not sure I like how they resurrected Coulson though.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
My money is on Luke Cage. About 2 years ago the Old Spice guy was suppose to be a potential actor for a Luke Cage movie but I guess it got scrapped.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
IndianaJonny said:
Whoa, Falcon [//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_(comics)] didn't make the list at all? Granted, "super strength" isn't one of his given abilities (but then neither is it one of Black Panther's) but if a Captain America-connection is all that is needed to make the list, I'm surprised the Falcon's name hasn't been passed around - especially given he's (arguably) mainstream comics' first African-American superhero.
Falcon is already confirmed as being in the next Captain America film.
Mr. Q said:
Damn, Bob! Major speed run on this speculation list. Sadly, Luke Cage would have to be dropped since Whedon had said that the mystery man isn't Luke Cage. But the rest of the list is a good selection of possible candidates. As for my pick, I'd have to go with either Rage of the second Power Man but don't quote me. The best piece of evidence we've got is a brief shot of our hero's arm at 2:14 on the full trailer.
Whedon could be lying, you know. He does that.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Nomanslander said:
That or they could have pulled another Nick Fury and turned a white super hero black. :p

But yeah! Probably Luke Cage.
Nick Fury's black in the Ultimate comic line and to top it off, he was depicted as looking like Jackson with his permission.

I don't think that it will be Cage because of the thing on his arm, making Rage my top pick and Cage being second only due to name recognition. Since Daredevil defaulted back to Marvel they may hold onto him until they can do a Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Daredevil story arch, which would have to wait until Phase 3 if they want to do a movie series or until Agents of SHIELD runs a season or two before getting a TV show.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Blade the Vampire Hunter≠Eric Draven. Blade's real name is Eric Brooks.

Eric Draven was the lead in The Crow.

Just, you know ... for the record.

Hindkjaer

Sep 15, 2010
Is it to much to hope that it could also be like Heimdahl from Thor. As in A white dude, turned Black.. I know it's a long shot, but maybe, JUST MAYBE it could be the case...

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
It could be another character from the Marvel Universe that is not black in the comics. After all, Idris Elba did play Heimdall.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Hindkjaer said:
Is it to much to hope that it could also be like Heimdahl from Thor. As in A white dude, turned Black.. I know it's a long shot, but maybe, JUST MAYBE it could be the case...
Same thought at the same time. Although I wouldn't say white dude turned black. Just a black actor who happens to play a character that was white in the comics.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
BabySinclair said:
I don't think that it will be Cage because of the thing on his arm.
Given that it's accompanied by Coulsons' voice saying "We're not the only ones interested in those who have powers", it could be something to do with the series main enemy. Meaning that it still could be Luke Cage. It certainly doesn't look "heroic".

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Its proberly Cage, I don't read super hero comics and even I know who Cage is.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
In an interview for IGN Jeffery Bell confirmed [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/15/executive-producer-jeffrey-bell-talk-agents-of-shield-and-reveals-luke-cage-is-not-the-mystery-character] that it was not Luke Cage, may have possibly slipped that the first letter in the guy's name is "M", and also said some things about colorblind casting.

Honestly, we were looking for this part, and we just said, look, all our parts are open to all diversity. So the fact that we have a black dude who is awesome and it's J, was just because he was the best actor. It wasn?t like, ?You know who?!?
While Marvel reps have flat-out lied in the past, particularly when a mystery is guessed right out of the gate, my money is actually on Moon Knight. No, he's never been portrayed as a black man, but neither was Nick Fury before the Ultimates and neither was Heimdall before "Thor". Also, it would make the hoodie a clever costume choice. Still, it would mean they changed a lot of his backstory and gave him powers right from the beginning, so it might be a bit of a stretch, but I like banking on the long-shot.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
didnt even think about patriot, now im hoping thats who it is, come on young avengers cast! plus the avengers movie already established that others have worked on making super soldiers so it should fit

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
MB202 said:
Aww man, I love hearing about all these comic book characters and potential for new movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe!
Same here, as someone who never really reads coomic books getting some insight into the characters of one of the biggest TV/Movie thing going on at the moment is very interesting.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Strain42 said:
I think the reason behind Coulson's survival is pretty simple...Fury just kinda trolled them. A lie within a lie basically. We knew he lied about the cards, but I guess he also lied about the death of Coulson too.

To paraphrase Kung Pow

"We only saw him do this...hrrrk...guhhhh........that doesn't mean a person is dead."
It's weird - I'm certain I saw an official website for the series linked from somewhere. The blurb I read says that your theory was pretty much exactly what happened - Coulson "held his breath" and played dead so the Avengers could be motivated. Honestly, I'm hoping that's not true because A)That's horrific trolling and not a good way to start a series, and B)It takes away the one legitimate "accomplishment" Loki's had in his cinematic existence, and that's really sad considering one of the most iconic villains of comics has so far turned out to be surprisingly terrible at his job (I'm just hoping that leads to some redemptive arc later in the movie series, maybe starting in Thor 2).

So this was a fun history lesson and I'm glad I got to learn abou-

*Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment*

....goddammit white people.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I know nothing of any of this but I got other thing to grill. "Premiers this fall - in USA. Then mysterious time flux happens and it premiers year later in Finland." After everyone who wants to see it, has watched every episode online, legally or illegally.

Just another thing to avoid on these forums along with The Walking Dead season 2 discussion.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I like the idea of multi-media spanning epic world building . . . but fuck, I hate Joss Whedon. He's a lazy-ass writer who's potential is destroyed by his inability to make his characters different in any means other than name and superpowers (if they have them).

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I love when people say "Coulson died in Avengers." I would be more surprised if they reveal that he WAS dead. In the theater, I even said to my sister... he's not dead.

OT. Luke Cage would be fun. I'm hoping this is a prequel to the Black Panther movie. Set the stage BEFORE it comes out.