The Big Picture: Shell Shock

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Shell Shock

MovieBob gives you several ways for the new movie adaptation of TMNT to go wrong.

Watch Video

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Good video. I hope they use the 90s cartoon version for the basis of the new movie. I never liked the newer version of Raphael.

Also, I cringe every time someone says "Dr. Eggman". Ughhhh...

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Wait a minute a here, there's one thing I don't understand:

Are there really a significant number of people who care about TMNT?

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Heh. Eggman Dr.Robotnik.

Sure there may be alternates to all sorts of known nostalgic comics or games but the more wide spread ones tend to be what people want to see happen, makes sense too since it's the one they most remember.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
"Turtles from Outer Space" makes it sound like that half-ased Muppets movie from about 10 years ago, where Muppets/Disney tried to pull off that Gonzo was really an alien, and that his race really WAS from outer space.

In the *0's Turtles, and the 2000's Turtles, most fans either forget or overlook that the thing or creating factor of the Turtles was an outside source, which was from outer space/another dimension.

In the 80's Turtles, Shredder got the mutagen from krang, who originated from Dimension X. In the 2000's Turtles, the mutagen was a by-product created by the Utrom, a race of highly intelligent, slug-like creatures, who were transporting a psychotically evil member of their species, who became Shredder.

So, there's always been an outside or alien influence on the Turtles. It was mostly relegated to exposition, though, for most of the series.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Great video Bob :)

I think it's very important for a series to have a consistent setting, but I agree that we fans need to be a bit more flexible when it comes to alterations. I can certainly get myself pretty worked up over minor changes made to the Planescape and Thief franchises, so I'm hardly a paragon of flexibility, but I've also learned that it's not always worthwhile to be so wrapped up in minutia. Take Thief III - I think it's a worthwhile criticism that the stealth system was overly simplified from the originals, but I really need to let go of the facial scar even if his eye was plucked out and the scar didn't appear in Thief II, dammit.

*ahem*

Issues of "canon" are particularly dangerous when the IP is involved in lots of different things, as your Ninja Turtles example shows. Star Wars is another great example since there are substantial book, tv, comic, and game series drawing from the original source material. Even before the prequels things were rather convoluted, and of course now the situation is really confusing.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I was never a huge fan of the original works. Hell, when I first encountered them through the cartoon I thought they were a ripoff of the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters comic that had a brief run in the mid 80s. I later learned it was the other way around. Of course the first live action movie brought me around and I've had an off again on again type of interest in the property.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
It's easy for me to admit that I wasn't into the underground comics. Mainly because I've never been into the turtles.

Growing up in the early 90s, I did see a lot of the merchandise and even saw bits and pieces of the cartoon show and movies on occasion at the after-school program I attended. But I never really understood the appeal. Near as my five-year-old self could tell, it was just a bunch of identical turtles with different color masks, different weapon choices, and a ridiculous obsession with flaccid pizza talking in mildly raspy Californian accents. Not that interesting.

In high school, I was one of the few guys who thought of the artist whenever someone mentioned the name Michelangelo. And I don't even care about art.

Regarding the premise change for the movie: Meh, at least this means the internet will stop whining about Mass Effect 3. Hopefully they'll keep whining about this until Attack of the Clones in 3D comes out.

Unrelated: I resent having to type advertising slogans into the captcha box.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
Good video. I hope they use the 90s cartoon version for the basis of the new movie. I never liked the newer version of Raphael.

Also, I cringe every time someone says "Dr. Eggman". Ughhhh...
I am the robotnik. They are the robotnik. I am the hedgehog.

Goo goo g'joob.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
I hate that this great show has been forced to be a huge "Grow up fanboys". All the moaning about TMNT and Mass Effect this past week has only proved how immature fans can be.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Haven't they established that Eggman is an insult used by Sonic against Dr. Robotnik. Also I remember Bob insulting the change in origin for the new Spider-Man movie not to long ago based mostly on shots from the trailer.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
Shell Shock

MovieBob gives you several ways for the new movie adaptation of TMNT to go wrong.

Watch Video
Another note on Mr. Freeze.

After the 60's TV series, he was regulated to a joke character nobody took seriously, particularly when the Batman comics were slowly shifting to a darker, more serious tone. That was until Batman: the animated series reinvented him with a new back story and a VERY cold personality that we got the guy we know and love today.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Born in 87, I loved the turtles and Ghostbusters.

Fingers crossed this is good. REALLY CROSSED.

Jan 27, 2011
Dude. What's wrong with the name Eggman?

I'm a pretty big fan of the sonic series, and I have no problem with the name Eggman. I mean, I did at first, but now? Now I just don't care about that. It's not that big a deal IMO.