The Big Picture: Skin Deeper

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Malisteen said:
One person says "Asian descended actors in America are overwhelmingly rejected from general roles, relegated to racially stereotyped supporting roles if that, and in this environment a white man playing one of the few well rounded Asian characters to show up in a Hollywood production has an entirely different and far more negative real world context than an actor of color playing a white role."

This person isn't demanding that you hate the movie. They might prefer you not support it with your money, but they're not even demanding that. They're asking you to simply be aware of the real world context of institutionalized racism that permeates the bones of Hollywood's studio system. To take it into account and consider it.
And what about those of us that consider it, and don't care? Yes I get it, Asian American men are demasculinize and Asian American women are highly sexulaized for those with some fetish. However, I honestly can't be bothered to care when I see stuff like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sC5qkMGEnE] in the rest of the world. It really just doesn't compare, and as a result the plight of Asian American actors and actresses isn't something I care a great deal about.

That said, I fully support Asian-Americans when I see the crap that spews from Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s mouth.

Malisteen said:
Context counts for a lot, if not everything, but there's more to context than just the internal narrative of a film. The society and system which produced it is also part of its context. The one cannot wipe out the other. The good does not wash away the bad, nor the bad the good. If you can acknowledge the cinematic talent and innovation behind "Triumph of the Will" while still being aware of and denouncing its horrific social context, then you can like Cloud Atlas as a film and still acknowledge that establishing technology for and furthering a precedent of white actors being cast in non-white roles is handing a racist Hollywood system more tools and excuses to marginalize colored actors and genuine colored representation in media.
You can't see the forest through the trees. The whole point of the movie is that a person's identity transcends race and gender, hence Jim Sturgess playing a Korean man and Hugo Weaving playing a English women.

Malisteen said:
Responding instead with "Well I don't even see race, any actor should be allowed to play any role", is ignoring the issue that any actor isn't allowed to play any role. That actors of color are attacked for even stating that they would like to play a white role, that scripts are frequently rejected or rewritten when they explicitly call for a colored character in the lead role. That the Hollywood system regularly plays to and reinforces racial stereotypes while delivering a message that white = beautiful, white = good, white = normal. There's racism out there, and by refusing to see race, you're refusing to see the ways in which the race of non-white people is still held against them. It's choosing to not notice and not care because noticing and caring is too inconvenient if it comes between you and your appreciation of a movie. And no, I don't have to show the least respect for that sentiment.
Oh, you have it all wrong. Its not that I don't care because I just want to enjoy the movie, its I don't care for two reasons. One, I don't think its as serious as an issue as something like this in the media [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwN2M6ZIIRU], and two, the same people who condemn Cloud Atlas [http://www.racebending.com/v4/blog/cloud-atlas-conversation-yellowface-prejudice-artistic-license/] have nothing to say when they see Lucy Liu playing a role of a white Character [http://www.racebending.com/v4/featured/elementary-dear-lucy/]. Its a double standard and its something that I won't be a part of. You want me to care about Cloud Atlas? Ok, as long as you care about movies like Thor and White Chicks.

Malisteen said:
It's a self serving mantra that reaffirms the notion that you don't need to do even consider anything. As if ignoring the issue was enough. What problem ever went away by ignoring it? Racism isn't just something that one actively chooses, like a mustache-twirling villain. It's also something you can passively accept by simply choosing not to see, not to care. "Color blind" is just that - willfully blind to the real world issues faced by colored people. It can be a great moral for teaching kindergartners how the world should be, but once you're past grade school, once your world and your influence stretches past the room you're currently sitting in, once it's time for you to start dealing with how the world is, once reconciling the "is" with the "should be" is your responsibility, it's just not good enough anymore.
Very true, which is why a person must have priorities and why I concern myself more with these kinds of issues concerning the media [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sC5qkMGEnE&t=6m27s], than some first world problems like this [http://iamkoream.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jim-sturgess-cloud-atlas-asian.jpeg].

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
In regards to the discussion about Asian American actors in Hollywood I thought I'd share these two videos. (I think hearing first hand experiences always helps in these types of discussions.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm chiming in super late, but I only just had the time to watch this video today.

So race. It's a funny subject. I don't buy the whole idea that it's politically incorrect to have white people play non white rolls in a movie where non white people play white rolls. It's just nonsense, the whole idea. People cry and stamp their feet because the world isn't fair and equal while in the same breathe arguing that it's fair for non white people to act as white people and not fair for white people to act in roles for non white people. I also don't buy the idea that just because it was wrong 50+ years ago (you know, a time in America when black and white folks had to use separate bathroom, among other things), it is wrong now. My main issue is that we live in a society where no one is allowed to move forward. Because it was negatively racist (as opposed to just racist which means that it's based on race and not particular thoughts or feelings about someone of a particular race) back in the day it is obviously that now.

And as it was pointed out, in the context of this movie, these accusations shouldn't even exist.

In the context of unified, truly progressive (not the political kind of progressive) and positively changing world, these objections are just base. In that kind of world all the people who cry racism on instances like this hold back society from moving on from it's very checkered past. There are things out there that are racist, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. But crying wolf based on the way the world was 50+ years ago is pretty much nonsense.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I take issue with Bob's defense, because it assumes intention and context somehow excuses anything.
Execution is key, and what I see in Cloud Atlas is probably one of the most depressingly crass appropriations of racial struggle I have seen in a long time.
Regardless of intention, the Wachowskis reduced ethnicity to a costume. And that's not something I find myself inclined to celebrate.

Furthermore, I'd argue without a doubt that race is still the single most divisive struggle in the western world. The only difference between now and 30 years ago is that the issue has become more subliminal as the people in possession of privilege attempt to persuade themselves and everyone else that we inhabit a post-racial society.

Helmholtz Watson said:
...the same people who condemn Cloud Atlas [http://www.racebending.com/v4/blog/cloud-atlas-conversation-yellowface-prejudice-artistic-license/] have nothing to say when they see Lucy Liu playing a role of a white Character [http://www.racebending.com/v4/featured/elementary-dear-lucy/]. Its a double standard and its something that I won't be a part of.
Are you honestly going to suggest you see no difference between modern characters of colour being cast as white, and a classically white character being repurposed as a woman of colour in a modern adaptation?
Really?
You're just going to ignore the centuries of systematic erasure which characters of colour have gone through? How even today, explicitly non-white characters cannot be guaranteed a faithful representation?
Okay.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
Are you honestly going to suggest you see no difference between modern characters of colour being cast as white, and a classically white character being repurposed as a woman of colour in a modern adaptation?
The difference is quite small because the response it garners when a White person plays a role in movies like 21 comes from the same people who would condemn Cloud Atlas. And to be honest, said people have a double standard. They are more than willing to start up a website dedicated to the fact that a certain movie [http://www.racebending.com/v3/about/] had a Asian character replaced with a White character, but they have nothing but praise for when the reverse happens and an White character is replaced by a Asian character. Its a double standard and it makes their complaints about movies like The Last Air Bender quite hollow.

LiquidGrape said:
You're just going to ignore the centuries of systematic erasure which characters of colour have gone through?
Well unless we are living in 1930's Germany and Sippenhaft is in affect, the actions of other people from the past don't qualify as justifications for replacing White characters with non-White characters.

LiquidGrape said:
How even today, explicitly non-white characters cannot be guaranteed a faithful representation?
The solution isn't to replace White characters with non-White actors and actresses.

Terragent

Jan 15, 2010
The weirdest thing about this is that Cloud Atlas isn't supposed to be about race at all. It's a story about power and the relationship between the strong and the weak. Almost all of the critical relationships and events in the novel have absolutely nothing to do with racism, real or perceived, and if the film is even halfway faithful to its source material then the same holds true there.

Ethnic tensions play a role in about one and a half stories out of the six. Get over it, people.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Milanezi said:
The Gentleman said:
I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Mandarin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10006-Lets-Watch-The-Iron-Man-3-Trailer.2] when you were talking about "yellowface" racial acting. Hell, just us responding to that article had an interesting conversation on how to adapt the character to the modern hair-trigger racial response...
Forget the Mandarin dude! We have NICOLAS CAGE playing a "wise" Chinese man in what's supposed to be the biggest movies ever, imagine how that will get people pissed? Ok the movie is called Werewolf Women of the SS (by Rob Zombie) hahaha, Nicolas Cage as that wise china dude looks so damn fun!!!
Wait... Werewolf Women of the SS is actually being made? Wasn't that just a joke trailer? I mean, I know it happened with Hobo With a Shotgun, but I didn't think it would happen to another fake trailer from Grindhouse

Also, unless they changed it from the trailer, that "wise China dude" is Dr. Fu Manchu. Getting a Chinese actor wouldn't make Fu Manchu less racist, so it's probably a good idea to just run with the political-incorrect-ness of him existing in the first place and hope that Cage is crazy enough to overshadow everything else.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
The difference is quite small because the response it garners when a White person plays a role in movies like 21 comes from the same people who would condemn Cloud Atlas. And to be honest, said people have a double standard. They are more than willing to start up a website dedicated to the fact that a certain movie [http://www.racebending.com/v3/about/] had a Asian character replaced with a White character, but they have nothing but praise for when the reverse happens and an White character is replaced by a Asian character. Its a double standard and it makes their complaints about movies like The Last Air Bender quite hollow.
It's not a double standard because the racial dynamics and implications are completely different.
How many creative works with overwhelmingly white casts can you call to mind? Probably quite many. Regardless of whether we look at it in a historical or contemporary context, white remains the assumed default, and culture reflects that quite clearly.
Remember how a depressingly large amount of Hunger Games fans cried foul over that one character being cast as a black girl in the film adaptation, even though the book explicitly states that she is, in fact, black? Perfect example of how race factors into our cultural expectations.
Now, comparatively, how many popular creative works with overwhelmingly poc casts can you name? While there are a few examples, I think you'll agree the figure is significantly smaller. Hell, even finding prominent, non-stereotypical or non-exoticised characters of colour is a relative rarity.

So white actors being made up in a way which is historically suspect at the very best, or utterly whitewashing a work renowned for its non-white cast is quite strikingly different from taking a century old character, already duly and frequently accounted for in all his white malehood [http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0026631/], and subvert expectations by making him an Asian woman. It contributes diversity and the potential of additional theme to a character and pairing which has been virtually identical for the past 120 years.

As for your other concerns, you don't need to assume responsibility for the actions of previous generations to recognise how their actions have impacted ours. Positively and negatively. Acknowledging the societal privileges and disadvantages it has generated is the very least we can do if you ask me.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
It's not a double standard because the racial dynamics and implications are completely different.
How many creative works with overwhelmingly white casts can you call to mind? Probably quite many. Regardless of whether we look at it in a historical or contemporary context, white remains the assumed default, and culture reflects that quite clearly.
Remember how a depressingly large amount of Hunger Games fans cried foul over that one character being cast as a black girl in the film adaptation, even though the book explicitly states that she is, in fact, black? Perfect example of how race factors into our cultural expectations.
Now, comparatively, how many popular creative works with overwhelmingly poc casts can you name? While there are a few examples, I think you'll agree the figure is significantly smaller. Hell, even finding prominent, non-stereotypical or non-exoticised characters of colour is a relative rarity.
That's still a double standard. It doesn't matter how many movies are made with having major poc characters in them, its just as much "racebending [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=racebending]" to have Will Smith play the main character off of the book I am Legend [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)], as it is "racebending" to have Casper Van Dien play the main character off of the book Starship Troopers [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers]. Equally so, its just as bad for there to be a movie like White Chicks as there is to have a movie like Cloud Atlas.

LiquidGrape said:
So white actors being made up in a way which is historically suspect at the very best, or utterly whitewashing a work renowned for its non-white cast is quite strikingly different from taking a century old character, already duly and frequently accounted for in all his white malehood [http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0026631/], and subvert expectations by making him an Asian woman. It contributes diversity and the potential of additional theme to a character and pairing which has been virtually identical for the past 120 years.
It also is doing the exact same thing as movies like 21 are doing by replacing the race of a major character with that of a different race.

LiquidGrape said:
As for your other concerns, you don't need to assume responsibility for the actions of previous generations to recognise how their actions have impacted ours. Positively and negatively. Acknowledging the societal privileges and disadvantages it has generated is the very least we can do if you ask me.
Again, the actors and actresses of the present don't have to make up for the actions of those of the past.

Aankhen

Mar 30, 2012
Therumancer said:
Equality actually being a forgone conclusion in most of the western world (despite what politicians and left wingers like to say and believe)
Yeah, no. As an Indian who?s lived in Vancouver and visited the Netherlands several times, I can tell you there is a marked difference in the way white people treat others. Heck, forget about them?even the Westerners who live in India look down on Indians. It?s quite disgusting.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Seeing as you ignore the actual contents of my argument for the benefit of simply reiterating your points with different examples, I'll just step away before I pull my hair out entirely.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Malisteen said:
LiquidGrape said:
I would also like to chime in with the people who decry "colour blindness" as an unwillingness of, let's face it, white people to acknowledge the systematic privilege they continue to enjoy at the expense of other groups.
a couple comics I like to show the "color blind" crowd who reject any discussion of race based social injustice, as well as those who decry affirmative action as "reverse racism":

http://www.redbubble.com/people/barrydeutsch/works/5562735-how-bob-benefits-from-racism?p=poster

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5rr52cAlU1r38c2ko1_1280.jpg
I normally don't like these things..
But damn was that blunt and on the nose to a great point.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Seeing as you ignore the actual contents of my argument for the benefit of simply reiterating your points with different examples, I'll just step away before I pull my hair out entirely.
I'm not ignoring what you have said, I just don't buy into your ideas of collective guilt and that the sins of the father are passed down to the son in regards to how Hollywood cast parts for movies.

I am curious though, if you didn't like Cloud Atlas because of the use of makeup for a person to appear as another race, did you also not like White Chicks, or is it "different" to you?

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Ah Bob just had to bring up the casting in Thor in this.

As for the subject of race...I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I dunno, maybe it's because I live in a country where it's rare for me to meet people of a different race than mine (well that and gypsies, but whatever), and maybe it's because my country also doesn't have a strong history of race-related slavery, but I just don't get what all the damn fuss is about.

"People used to be racist back in the day and they might be racist now." - Yes they were, and yes they are. So?

The way I've seen it, a truly accepting and multicultural society isn't the one that tries to bend over backwards to accommodate everyone's heritage, ideas, beliefs, cultural backgrounds and so on, but one that actually takes all of those and melts them together into something entirely new.

Or in summary - Stop bitching about racism already, just live your lives, let others live their lives and get on with it.

raven47172

Expert Slacker
Sep 17, 2010
Two things:
1. Am I the only one who upon hearing Bob say racebending thought of it as a type of bending from Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra?

2. After I chuckled at the first thought I did think about the racebending in The Last Airbender were white kids were cast to play the good guys and Indian people to play the villains. Besides the other glaring problems with that movie, that was one thing that bothered me most. Anyone who watches that show knows that the characters are of Eastern descent.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Therumancer said:
Akio91 said:
So.....this is the first I've heard of this. Bob, are you making up issues for views? Or is this some Hollywood insider mad that the rest of us have missed out on?
No, he's right, it exists. Bob's own politics and white guilt have predictably slanted it though. The issue isn't quite as mainstream as your used to seeing from other outcries because the basic issue isn't coming from sources the left wing likes to acknowlege existing.

Basically "Cloud Atlas" is a movie that has seriously invoked the ire of so called "reverse racists". Equality actually being a forgone conclusion in most of the western world (despite what politicians and left wingers like to say and believe) your rapidly seeing those that are minorities within the western world embracing a "pro (insert race here)" stance, the old "I'm not anti-white, but am proud to be black" or "I'm pro-black" attitude which is pretty much the same thing as white supremacy conveyed through other words and carefully avoided by the left wing. A lot of the outcry you see here is not so much because of old school comedic "race play" by white actors, but because you have minorities offended by what they see as a lesser people playing them. I ran into this issue not so much as white vs. black as most people like to focus on, but more in terms of white guys playing Koreans in the final sequence, which was seen as an affront to ethnic superiority... as is the entire idea of soul reincarnation which can be an issue to those who see themselves superior for reasons having to do with who or what they are inherantly.

I actually tried to find a link to it again (though I can't, I think it was taken down) I was reading a fairly racist article someone put up ranting pretty much about asian superiority and how offensive this movie was on those levels.

I pretty much take the opposite position from Bob on most of these issues even if it goes to the same place. I believe in human equaliy, but I feel within the western world that's embracing it the current problem is not with the "white majority" which has done a good job of adapting on those principles, but for minorities themselves to adapt to equality, do away with their counter cultures, and desires for social vengeance. Or in simple terms, when dealing with things like the white vs. black conflict, white guys freed blacks and supported all of this civil liberties stuff, it wasn't done to give blacks the tools needed to avenge this injustice, and indeed exactly the kinds of movements and attitudes you see now were exactly what was promised wouldn't happen by the people promoting that equality agenda. Globally I also think the rest of the world is very racist, except it's a situation where whites are one of the smallest minorities there are (ironic on a lot of levels). The eastern world in paticular needs to be given a serious kick in the teeth if we ever plan to see racism dealt with. Bob Chipman style guilt and self-judgement doesn't really solve anything, especially seeing as anything we do is only affecting a relatively small percentage of humanity. When you considered that roughly 1/3rd of the population is in India, 1/3rd is in China, Africa is overcrowded, hundreds of millions of Muslims, etc... you begin to realize that what happens within the borders of the USA or Europe affects a very small percentage of humanity.

As a result I take the opposite track from Bob, rather than being an apologist I believe on brutal crackdowns on minority counter culture, reverse racism, and similar things. Someone who identifies as Pro-Black, Pro-Asian, and says "[insert minority here] Power" is just as bad as a KKK member, they are actually the same thing (especially nowadays where the KKK is itself mostly verbal and political as well) and deserves to be hammered as a divisive influance that is working against tolerance and co-existance. I also believe very much in doing things like forcing information into countries like China through their censorship policies and refusing to help them, or let anyone else help them with censorship. I for example believe a search engine that censors itself for other countries to filter outside political ideals like tolerance needs to itself be on the receiving end of a brutal crackdown.

Or in short I pretty much believe the new motto should be "Live Free Or Die" and acceptance at this point still needs to be fought for. The ideas are out there, but need to be enforced through the barrel of a gun, and the striking surface of a truncheon. Even if unherard of numbers of people die, it's one of those cases where anything worth having comes at a high cost. I think we planted the seeds, but gave up far too soon, and fell into lethargy and hand wringing where we let all the same problems continue, just from the opposite direction they were coming from before. The counter culture that was one a champion of civil liberties as become the enemy of those same civil liberties.
Therumancer, I really have to ask this.

Because I believe we are going to end up locking horns again. You might not quite remember but we have done once before. That time it was because you were preaching... mass murder and potential genocide. This time it is because you are being... predictable. Regardless, I need to ask the following:

Have you ever studied politics or sociology? Maybe even a bit of Philosophy? Perhaps done a short course in Ethics? I just want to know.

Equality actually being a forgone conclusion in most of the western world (despite what politicians and left wingers like to say and believe)
Bullshit. Sure, you will state that I am stating the above because I am left win (Well, I am. Significantly so.) but I am stating the above because... well, there wouldn't be much fucking point in the race relations module of my Sociology course if there was no issue with race relations in the UK! Equality is not a forgone conclusion. Despite the bleatings of the Right, women are still paid less then men (The government is forcing the Public Sector to address this and backdating lost pay over the last 10 years. This decision is costing Birmingham council over 600 million pounds.) and minority communities within the UK are still shat on.

So lets ignore that statement. Because it is quite simply, in-arguably, wrong. You can state that it is your OPINION that equality is a foregone conclusion in the western world but... Well, you are wrong. Academia disagrees with you. Sorry.

the old "I'm not anti-white, but am proud to be black" or "I'm pro-black" attitude which is pretty much the same thing as white supremacy conveyed through other words and carefully avoided by the left wing.
Reclaiming race identity and trying to be proud of who you are in the face of racism is not racist. Your statement is as insane as the logic that a gay man who is proud to be gay is anti strait. Or someone who campaigns for gay rights and an end to discrimination hates strait people. Sorry bro, your statement is wrong. And rather insane. Taken from the perspective that racism exists in the west and equality is not a foregone conclusion, your statement is wrong (Anyone starting to see a trend here?)

Now, if said people were part of, say, a fascist movement, a genuine supremicist movement, then you would have a point. But it is one thing to be proud of who you are, another to think you are above others.

rather than being an apologist I believe on brutal crackdowns on minority counter culture, reverse racism, and similar things.
There is the Therumancer I know and love. Brutal crackdowns, hatred of minorities, Wonderful. Could you do me a favour in your inevitable reply which carefully does not insult me, could you give me your definition of counter culture? Oh, and point to any form of scholarly article affiliated with a prominent theorist within either the fields of Media and Cultural Studies or Sociology that acknowledges the existence of 'Reverse Racism'.

You cannot supress an ideal or way of life through brutal crackdowns. It has never worked (In the long run, at least, usually it has the opposite effect). You want to end these things that you see in society? Education is always the answer. Not war (Which you seem to love), nor brutality. Teach people.

Also, I am quoting this for ironies sake.

When you considered that roughly 1/3rd of the population is in India, 1/3rd is in China, Africa is overcrowded, hundreds of millions of Muslims
Now that it suits you, Muslims are a race! Wonderful.

What exactly do you have against Islam? Seriously? Also are you genuinely of the opinion that there is no such thing as a white Muslim? Bleh. I tire of this already. In passing I would like to point one last thing out. Which is not to be taken as an insult. You have stated that the West is tolerant and that the rest of the world is not, you have once more preached death and destruction. Ser, has it occurred to you that quite often what you write comes accross as paranoid racist drivel?

Just saying, maybe you should address that fact.

It was a nice distraction from the essay I was writing on JS Mill but still, responding to your statements takes it out of me.

On topic, because I fear that reply was incredibly off topic...

I still have not seen cloud atlas and I am looking forward to doing so. Whilst I can see the argument against using white actors in Asian roles, I think that sometimes it can be excused. Pretty much all I had to say on the matter, I cannot even remember how I ended up in the thread, then I saw someone quote Therumancer and thought I would go and read whatever was written.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
raven47172 said:
Two things:
1. Am I the only one who upon hearing Bob say racebending thought of it as a type of bending from Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra?

2. After I chuckled at the first thought I did think about the racebending in The Last Airbender were white kids were cast to play the good guys and Indian people to play the villains. Besides the other glaring problems with that movie, that was one thing that bothered me most. Anyone who watches that show knows that the characters are of Eastern descent.
That's where the term comes from. It came from the protest of the casting choices in the Shyamalan movie.

Water tribes in the cartoon: Inuit
Movie: White

Air nomads in the cartoon: Mixture of Tibetan and Buddhist monks
Movie: White, except for Monk Gyatso who is african-american

Earth Kingdom in the cartoon: Chinese
Movie: lol race clusterfuck

Fire nation in the cartoon: Japanese
Movie: Indian???